Windows 7 Beta Discussion

Yeah just checked my display adapter in device manager and it says "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter". Something also called "Base System Device" has a yellow caution on it. It didn't install a nvidia driver, i checked installed windows updates.

[quote name='yukine']Trying to dual boot Windows 7 with my Vista machine, but Vista won't let me partition properly. Any software suggestions?[/quote]
I usually throw in a Ubuntu Live CD and use the partition manager on there.

[quote name='orbit18']Does anyone know why I can't find nvidia windows 7 graphic drivers? I have a 6800 gt oc, and nvidia's site says please use windows update. I use that, but it never finds graphic drivers. Anyone know what to do?[/QUOTE]

I'm having the same problem as well. I just bought a GTX 295 and installed Windows 7 64bit. I think our video cards aren't supported yet so we have to use the Vista drivers.

What is the best free partitioning program to use to free up the space to install Windows 7? I have XP Home on my system now so I'd like to create a separate partition to run 7 from.

[quote name='orbit18']Yeah just checked my display adapter in device manager and it says "Standard VGA Graphics Adapter". Something also called "Base System Device" has a yellow caution on it. It didn't install a nvidia driver, i checked installed windows updates.[/QUOTE]

Do you use a DVI-->VGA adapter? It sounds like you have a similar problem to me.

The driver is installed, but I can't get the right resolution.

[quote name='ninja dog']anyone run any games on this yet?[/quote]

I hear World of Warcraft works, but a lot of addons for it aren't compatible. I can try a few popular ones if someone wants me to. Ones such as:

The Witcher
Command & Conquer 3
Red Alert 3
World in Conflict
Sins of a Solar Empire
Company of Heroes
Battlefield 2
Age of Empires III
Fallout 3
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. (Don't have Clear Sky)
Dawn of War 40,000
Crysis/Warhead
Farcry 2

Could also try some older things such as Diablo 2 or Starcraft if someone would like as well. Although I have most of my older PC collection boxed up to save space and I don't really want to bring them out.

EDIT: Bah, accidently wrote Starcraft 2 when it's near impossible for me to be playing it at the moment. :p

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, Windows Live Messenger wasn't the problem. After uninstalling that, 7 still won't do much after it gets to the desktop.

[quote name='munch']I had trouble running this with virtualbox. It won't connect to the internetz, and the interface looked odd.[/QUOTE]

Same issue with me. I can not get it to connect to the internet and it just tells me it is looking for a wireless network.

Edit 1:I was able to get it working with the internet. I needed to go to Details on the side when I was not running 7, then click on Network and play around with it. For me I needed Intel PRO/1000 MT Desktop (NAT).

Maybe we could have in the OP all the stuff that have been found to change things.

Edit 2:

[quote name='Owen']For those that downloaded the 32bit version from Microsoft, when you run winver from the search box at the start menu, does it say it expires 7-1-09? I wonder if they changed the expiration date they posted to August 1 after they decided to release it but forgot to update the date timebomb.[/QUOTE]

Yes same with me I think it is around 5:59 for the time.

I had the no internet in VirtualBox issue as well. Figured I just needed to change my virtual adapter type, but I went to play Persona instead :D Thanks for pointing out a working one.

[quote name='Liquid 2']Do you use a DVI-->VGA adapter? It sounds like you have a similar problem to me.

The driver is installed, but I can't get the right resolution.[/quote]

i don't have the driver installed. I used a DVI cable, no adapter. Also I tried installing the vista 32bit drivers but it says this is not the correct system.

I have to say 7 does not seem worth it. I will only get it if I have to. I would still rather have xp.

[quote name='orbit18']i don't have the driver installed. I used a DVI cable, no adapter. Also I tried installing the vista 32bit drivers but it says this is not the correct system.[/QUOTE]

Go to Nvidia's website and use the thing where it tells you what driver you need for your system. When I did that, it told me there was already a driver that I hadn't known was there.

I just did a nvidia test to find a driver, and this is what it told me.

Standard VGA Graphics Adapter0.0Your PC currently has the latest driver installed for your GPU. No driver update is necessary at this time.

I'm not quite sure that's correct.

I think it is. The driver is older than the current version out, and was already there with Windows 7 because there aren't any actual Windows 7 drivers out. I'd bet MS had Nvidia/ATI make drivers to package with Windows 7 specially for the beta.

On the graphics drivers: has any one had their freak out? I plugged in a USB drive, which then installed its drivers. After the drivers were done installing, my graphics drivers lost it and stopped outputting the right frequency for my monitor, for whatever reason.
I fixed it with a reboot, but that was pretty damn annoying.

[quote name='Draekon']I hear World of Warcraft works, but a lot of addons for it aren't compatible. I can try a few popular ones if someone wants me to. Ones such as:

The Witcher
Command & Conquer 3
Red Alert 3
World in Conflict
Sins of a Solar Empire
Company of Heroes
Battlefield 2
Age of Empires III
Fallout 3
S.T.A.L.K.E.R. (Don't have Clear Sky)
Dawn of War 40,000
Crysis/Warhead
Farcry 2

Could also try some older things such as Diablo 2 or Starcraft 2 if someone would like as well. Although I have most of my older PC collection boxed up to save space and I don't really want to bring them out.[/QUOTE]

Sure, try out either end-- Diablo 2 and Crysis. see if Diablo II works and if there's any performance difference with Crysis (not Warhead.)

I'm not expecting much from the beta version. I hope the full release has better performance with games than Vista.

I like Windows 7, not really a stretch since it is basically Vista . I like some of the new tools, Sticky Notes is awesome and the Snipping Tool could be useful.

I'll probably upgrade to it if I can either get it for free or really cheap, otherwise I'll stick with Vista.

I just can not get over the fact that this all just seems like it could have been an update. Also I don't know why but I can not find anything in it. I have got to the point that I like when I go to the taskbar and put my mouse over something that is open and I get a little window showing what the webpage is or what the program is that is running. I know 7 does that but I can not figure out how to turn it on. All it does is come up with a list of them. The taskbar is nothing like vista and When I started using vista I hated the one it has however I have not grown to like it. I'm still trying to figure out how to change it to be like the one in vista.

In theory, it could have been an update. But it would have been a MASSIVE update unlike any OS has ever had that, for people installing it over existing installations, could cause a lot of problems due to its massivitivitity. Plus this is an opportunity for Microsoft to re-market Windows under a new name, which sorely needs to be done. Vista's reputation is undeservedly mud. But really, it's too big to push through Windows Update, both in bytes and in how much it actually alters.

As for the taskbar: I think they may have Aero disabled by default for the BETA. You have to have the Aero desktop environment enabled for things like window previews. You'll need your video card drivers installed; you should be able to use Vista compatible ones. After that it looks like you'll need to run the Windows Experience Index found in My Computer Properties or Control Panel > System. If you rate above a 3.0 Aero will enable automatically.

[quote name='guyver2077']what system ratings is everyone getting.. im bummed about my 5.9 score[/QUOTE]
6.0 here

Processor - 6.8
Memory - 6.8
Graphics - 7.9
Gaming Graphics - 6.4
Primary Hard Disk - 6.0

[quote name='redline']6.0 here

Processor - 6.8
Memory - 6.8
Graphics - 7.9
Gaming Graphics - 6.4
Primary Hard Disk - 6.0[/quote]

nice time to compare..

what type of memory and what speed?

also i have no clue why are gaming graphics scores are low

[quote name='Sokkratez']As for the taskbar: I think they may have Aero disabled by default for the BETA. You have to have the Aero desktop environment enabled for things like window previews. You'll need your video card drivers installed; you should be able to use Vista compatible ones. After that it looks like you'll need to run the Windows Experience Index found in My Computer Properties or Control Panel > System. If you rate above a 3.0 Aero will enable automatically.[/quote]

Windows Aero was enabled by default for me. I also have nVidia drivers installed on my Windows 7, which I'll be posting with pics as soon as I finish checking Crysis performance versus when I run it on Vista.

I also didn't need to run the Windows Experience Index as Windows 7 seems to of done it for me. I did run it once today though to see if the results changed since I did download drivers off of Windows Update for two things, my monitor and video card shortly after I got it up and running.

Sick, the new Nvidia driver finally recognized my monitor, so I can have the proper resolution. :)

---

Processor - 7.1
Memory - 5.5
Graphics - 6.3
Gaming Graphics - 4.3
Primary Hard Disk - 5.5

So 4.3 over all. It'll go up when I get a new graphics card soon.

Personally, I wouldn't feel comfortable using a Beta version of a new operating system until it's full release, but that's just me :)

So, is Windows 7 a Neigh or a Yay too you?

Ok, I ran Diablo II and Crysis on my PC and here's the results:

Diablo II Test

Installed perfectly fine and booted it up and went through the videos no problem. Then I went to run single player and it felt like it locked up (stuck at the end of the loading screen). So I killed the game via Task Manager and re-opened it and connected to Battle.net for the patch and tried again without hitch at the frame cap of 25FPS. Played through to the end of the first quest with no problems what so ever other than the fact that I couldn't change resolution with my widescreen monitor through options.

I then went on to battle.net and connected just fine at a cap of 60FPS. However it stopped right after I registered so I killed the program the same way as before. Went back in right away and got in no problem. Like the single player, I made it to the end of the first quest but I did not try to connect to another persons game.

Crysis Test

I loaded it up and put everything on Very High except for the two shadow/shading options which I set to high and the resolution was set to 1440x900. Got in the game with no hitches and it ran flawlessly through the first objective in the game. Also went on to destroy a few buildings to see if that would effect anything and didn't run across any problems or graphical glitching. The frame rate during the time averaged between 25 and 30 and obviously the icey levels later in the game will cause it to drop further if I don't tweak the ini files or overclock to help with that.

Warning: Hens were masacred in the creation of this test.

The rig I'm currently running is (Nothing currently overclocked):

- Processor: Intel Core 2 Duo E6850 Conroe 3.0GHz 4M shared L2 Cache LGA 775 65W
- HDD: Western Digital Caviar 640GB 7200RPM 16MB Cache SATA
- RAM: 4GB DDR3 SDRAM DDR3 1066 (PC3 8500) Dual Channel (Given to me by a friend to mess around with it but kept it in since it works well. Though I wouldof expected a higher performance evaluation)
- Video: EVGA GeForce 8800 GTX 768MB 384-bit GDDR3

Performance Evaluation

Also in case anyone was wondering, here's what my Vista and Windows 7 desktop look like. They're not much different anymore after editing various settings:

Windows Vista
Windows 7

Windows 7 probably didn't update the eval coding for RAM from Vista to recognize DDR3. Much like how multi-core processors don't really raise your Vista eval. Though I'm assuming that the Vista and Windows 7 evals are the same with some updated coding and raised cap at 7.9 as opposed to a completely redone eval.

Here's my Vista Eval showing that the processor is lower:

vistaeval.jpg

EDIT: Which is worse than my old PC that had a 4.0GHz single core AMD Athlon 64 which was a 5.9 I believe.

I got a 1 but that was for the graphics and I'm sure if I install drivers it will be better. For all of you that are geting 5+ are you running it on a virtual machine or on the HDD in a partition?

[quote name='guyver2077']nice time to compare..

what type of memory and what speed?

also i have no clue why are gaming graphics scores are low[/QUOTE]
I'm using 8GB of OCZ Platinum DDR2 @ 800MHz... E8400 Core 2 Duo @ 3.6 GHz... XFX 780i mobo... EVGA GTX 260 Core 216... Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB HDD.

[quote name='redline']I'm using 8GB of OCZ Platinum DDR2 @ 800MHz... E8400 Core 2 Duo @ 3.6 GHz... XFX 780i mobo... EVGA GTX 260 Core 216... Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB HDD.[/quote]

thanks. So it seems its checking against the amount of memory you actualy have. i have 4gb dominator 1066 and im at 5.9 mem score

windows 7 is pretty sweet. Much better than vista and its only in beta. I am dual booting vista and win7. Now I have a question, is there anyway I can increase the partition? I've tried but it wont let me expand it.

[quote name='_Ph03n1x_']windows 7 is pretty sweet. Much better than vista and its only in beta. I am dual booting vista and win7. Now I have a question, is there anyway I can increase the partition? I've tried but it wont let me expand it.[/QUOTE]
How is it much better than Vista? I installed it and it seems pretty much exactly the same to me. Window behavior is a little different and there's no UAC popups, but besides that... what's different?

You can try increasing your partition with GParted.

[quote name='redline']How is it much better than Vista? I installed it and it seems pretty much exactly the same to me. Window behavior is a little different and there's no UAC popups, but besides that... what's different?

You can try increasing your partition with GParted.[/quote]

http://blogs.msdn.com/tims/archive/2009/01/12/the-bumper-list-of-windows-7-secrets.aspx and http://i.gizmodo.com/5070219/giz-explains-why-windows-7-will-smash-vista

hmm is GParted the only way?

i guess i can nuke the partition and just create a bigger one and then install win7 again.

In order you expand a partition, the space you want to add has to be unallocated; it can't have a filesystem on it. So if you're using the Windows partition manager, delete the space you want to add so that it says it's unallocated or free space - or shrink another partition so that free space is shed from that - and then try expanding again.

[quote name='Sokkratez']In order you expand a partition, the space you want to add has to be unallocated; it can't have a filesystem on it. So if you're using the Windows partition manager, delete the space you want to add so that it says it's unallocated or free space - or shrink another partition so that free space is shed from that - and then try expanding again.[/quote]
I will try it and get back to you.
EDIT: Yah it didn't work. I shrunk the hard drive and tried to extend the win 7 partition but it did not let me. If I assign the unallocated space a letter will I be able to use it from the win 7 partition?

[quote name='Sokkratez']If you format it and assign it a letter you'll be able to, but it will act as a separate drive.[/quote]
thats fine. as long as i can save things on it. thanks.

I just bought a GTX 295 and Windows 7 simply isn't worth it for me atm. In WEI, I get a 7.9 in Graphics and 6.0 in Gaming Graphics. 3DMark06 and 3DMark Vantage both crashes me. If I leave Multi-GPU support on, Left 4 Dead will crash me as well. I'm guessing the drivers aren't much compatible with Windows 7.

Besides the drivers, the other thing that I don't like about Windows 7 is that it is missing the classic Start Menu. Any idea when they'll add that in?

[quote name='gokou36']Besides the drivers, the other thing that I don't like about Windows 7 is that it is missing the classic Start Menu. Any idea when they'll add that in?[/quote]
Hopefully never, to be honest. People need to get used to the new stuff so that Microsoft can stop bending over backwards trying to accommodate every person that can't deal with a bit of change. Windows would have so much less bloat if people could just deal with some GUI changes and things.

Sorry if I missed an earlier post, but how do games generally perform under the Windows 7 beta? I might be interested in eventually buying a license if games run noticeably better.

[quote name='YodaEXE']Hopefully never, to be honest. People need to get used to the new stuff so that Microsoft can stop bending over backwards trying to accommodate every person that can't deal with a bit of change. Windows would have so much less bloat if people could just deal with some GUI changes and things.[/QUOTE]

What? It feels more bloated the way it is now to me, that's why I prefer classic start menu. I like mousing over folders and it pop up instead of me having to click on every damn folder. I like it because it shows everything instead of having me to use the scrollbar. If you don't like it that's your problem, you don't need to bash others that like it.

bread's done
Back