Windows 7 Beta Discussion

So far I'm fairly unimpressed. I can see the improvements, but for the most part when I had a Vista install I would disable most of the flashy shit because it was unnecessary. The new taskbar takes some getting used to though. Other than that I'm just underwhelmed.

I'm looking for torrents now, which version would I actually want? What I've seen is:

en_windows_7_beta_dvd_x86_x15-29073.iso
and
7000.0.081212-1400_client_en-us_Ultimate-GB1CULFRE_EN_DVD.iso

Which of these is the beta that's supposed to go out to the public?

Hate the taskbar slightly less now, but I still dislike it the most out of XP/Vista/7. I just prefer being able to keep windows seperate from their 'quick launch' (which doesn't seem to exist in 7) from their 'pin' (windows 7 exclusive).

[quote name='jeffispiked']I'm looking for torrents now, which version would I actually want? What I've seen is:

en_windows_7_beta_dvd_x86_x15-29073.iso
and

Which of these is the beta that's supposed to go out to the public?[/quote]

Windows 7 32bit Official ISO Name:
- 2.44GB

Windows 7 64bit Official ISO Name:
7000.0.081212-1400_client_en-us_Ultimate-GB1CULXFRE_EN_DVD.iso
- 3.15GB

[quote name='neverletthem']Any one know how to get 7 to recognize my C: drive? Vista recognizes my pardon as a "Local Disk" drive, but 7 only recognizes it's own drive.[/quote]

Start Menu -> Right click My Computer and select Manage -> Click Disk Management and wait for it to load your drives/partitions -> Right click drives without paths (i.e. don't say D:\ or whatever next to the volume name) and add in a new one.
(NOTE: You cannot name it C:\ drive and don't worry because you aren't suppose to. When you boot back into Vista, the correct drive will be the C:\ drive and the partition with Windows 7 will be something else, which you may need to name in Vista the same way if you wish to access it normally)

I also noticed you can expand/shrink partitions at will in this one just like Vista Ultimate (and I think Business does it too?) without the need of something like Partition Magic.

[quote name='Draekon']

Start Menu -> Right click My Computer and select Manage -> Click Disk Management and wait for it to load your drives/partitions -> Right click drives without paths (i.e. don't say D:\ or whatever next to the volume name) and add in a new one.
(NOTE: You cannot name it C:\ drive and don't worry because you aren't suppose to. When you boot back into Vista, the correct drive will be the C:\ drive and the partition with Windows 7 will be something else, which you may need to name in Vista the same way if you wish to access it normally)
[/quote]

I thank you good sir.

[quote name='GaveUpTomorrow']For anyone trying to get their key, you can get it now, the site is just getting hammered. Follow the directions listed here:

http://blog.hznet.nl/2009/01/10/how-to-receive-a-valid-windows-7-key

For some people, they are getting a key after a few minutes, others have been trying for hours and got nothing. I just got my x64 key though with the help of a Firefox plugin: check4change. Good luck.[/quote]

thanks. worked easily

Well I just got the key. I was not going to try it but think what the hell might as well give it a shot. So when I do this and after the beta is over or want to uninstall it is it easy to delete the partishon and go back to a single boot system?

Finishing up install on Virtual PC...anyone know how to switch back and forth from virtual to my pc's desktop? I'm currently having to press CTRL+ALT+DEL then choosing the taskbar option.

EDIT: Beta ends August IIRC

well I'm downloading it and intend to install it only I'm running just Vista Home Premium and I'm looking for a way to run Windows 7 and have no clue what to run it on. I have looked back on every page and see what people are running to do this. VMWare seems to cost, VirtualPC wont run from what it says on my copy of vista, VirtualBox says it needs a 64 bit system when I'm nut runing the 64 bit Vista.

[quote name='sendme']well I'm downloading it and intend to install it only I'm running just Vista Home Premium and I'm looking for a way to run Windows 7 and have no clue what to run it on. I have looked back on every page and see what people are running to do this. VMWare seems to cost, VirtualPC wont run from what it says on my copy of vista, VirtualBox says it needs a 64 bit system when I'm nut runing the 64 bit Vista.[/quote]

I'm running Vista Home Premium 32bit w/Virtual PC...it's not listed as one of the products but it ran fine. Just got a warning when I started it that it wasn't a recommended OS.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Finishing up install on Virtual PC...anyone know how to switch back and forth from virtual to my pc's desktop? I'm currently having to press CTRL+ALT+DEL then choosing the taskbar option.

EDIT: Beta ends August IIRC[/quote]

Almost every command uses the right Alt key (in Virtual PC). Alt by itself will give you mouse control back at the host computer.

Well even though I saw something saying 64 bit I installed VirtualBox. Only one question now and that is after I burn windows 7 one to the dvd what do I do. How do I install it onto VirtualBox? All this is for the most part new to me. I have not done a dual boot system in a long time and when I did that it was in class. So it was done once and with an instructor telling me what to do.

EDIT: Typed VMWare but it is actually VirtualBox.

Last edited by a moderator:
Got my key.

I'm having resolution problems because I have to use a DVI-->VGA adapter for my monitor, which keeps the OS from recognizing my monitor, and I can't seem to get the correct resolution no matter what I do (even using power strip). Any one have any ideas?

Well I got it to run dont know how i did it but it is installing on VirtualBox. I would rather run a dual boot system. I know you can do it with out buying a program or atleast I think you can. Could someone tell me how to do it like that? Also on virtualbox I have it in full screen mode and can not get it out of that. could someone tell me how to do that?

[quote name='darthbudge']Check out a program called VirtualBox.

It is really easy to use, if you want, hit me up on AIM if you have any questions.[/quote]

Thanks for mentioning this. Just reading through this forum, I've picked up useful information. Great stuff Darthbudge!

Has anyone figured out how to change the taskbar? I could've swore I saw Windows 7 screenshots with the Vista toolbar, I hate these icon based toolbars.

[quote name='Mattte']Has anyone figured out how to change the taskbar? I could've swore I saw Windows 7 screenshots with the Vista toolbar, I hate these icon based toolbars.[/quote]

You can change it somewhat, but I still have yet to figure out how to get quicklaunch up if it's even possible. Outside of pinning, mine is pretty much similar to my Vista bar minus the couple quicklaunch icons I use.

:whistle2:k...the Alt key didn't work to get me back to my desktop. Anyone using virtual box now what key(s) to press to go back out of the virtual PC?

I thought it was the Right Control button with Virtual Box.

---

Can anyone explain pinning to me? I tried to add a shortcut to my media HDD, and it asked me if I wanted to pin it, and I have no idea what purpose it served.

[quote name='Liquid 2']I thought it was the Right Control button with Virtual Box.

---

Can anyone explain pinning to me? I tried to add a shortcut to my media HDD, and it asked me if I wanted to pin it, and I have no idea what purpose it served.[/quote]

Pinning it will put its icon on your taskbar. Then any time you want to access it, you can click the taskbar 'pin' for it and it will then "expand" into a window within that pin.

It's different than quicklaunching as with quicklaunching, the quicklaunch buttons are always together and will open up a window on the taskbar rather than expanding into a window in the place it was stuck to on the taskbar.

Probably the best way I can explain it.

[quote name='Liquid 2']
Can anyone explain pinning to me? I tried to add a shortcut to my media HDD, and it asked me if I wanted to pin it, and I have no idea what purpose it served.[/QUOTE]

Pin keeps it in the taskbar at all times, like how IE, PC folders and WMP are always there. Right click.

[quote name='Liquid 2']I thought it was the Right Control button with Virtual Box.
[/quote]

Nope...but I found out it's the Right Alt key...thanks.

I see. When I realized it was getting pinned to the folders, as opposed to the taskbar, it was easy to figure out to right click the folder and then see the list.
Firefox got pinned normally, so now it's just like a short cut.

I found out how to get the quicklaunch going now, heh. In case anybody wants to know:

Right click the task bar -> Select Toolbars -> select New Toolbar -> Search in... C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ and select Quick Launch from the folders there.

EDIT: Weird, it's putting an extra space in 'Internet' on my screen in this post.

Does anyone know where to get nvidia drivers for windows 7? I keep doing windows update but it never finds any windows 7 nvidia drivers.

Last edited by a moderator:
Having installation issues, I'm running an E8400 Wolfdale processor but when I try to install Windows 7 on virtual box it says I don't have a 64 bit processor.. wtf?

Well i got it running on virtualbox but how do I get it to connect to my network. I'm on a wired network if that helps.

[quote name='Draekon']You can change it somewhat, but I still have yet to figure out how to get quicklaunch up if it's even possible. Outside of pinning, mine is pretty much similar to my Vista bar minus the couple quicklaunch icons I use.[/QUOTE]

Not sure if this is how it is but it might work. Make a folder and just call it Quick Launch and put some shortcuts in that folder. Right mouse click the taskbar, click Toolbars, then New Toolbar. Open the Quick Launch folder and you should now see the Quick Launch on the taskbar. Make sure you uncheck Show Text and Show Title.

[quote name='Draekon']I found out how to get the quicklaunch going now, heh. In case anybody wants to know:

Right click the task bar -> Select Toolbars -> select New Toolbar -> Search in... C:\Users\\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\ and select Quick Launch from the folders there.

EDIT: Weird, it's putting an extra space in 'Internet' on my screen in this post.[/QUOTE]

Here is a link with some more Quick launch info.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/888-quick-launch-enable-disable.html

They also seem to have a bunch of other Windows 7 tweaks so you may want to check it out.

[quote name='talonthrawn']Having installation issues, I'm running an E8400 Wolfdale processor but when I try to install Windows 7 on virtual box it says I don't have a 64 bit processor.. wtf?[/quote]
Are you using a 64-bit OS already? If so, is your virtual program (if you're using one), 64-bit? If you're trying to install via a virtual machine from a 32-bit OS, you probably won't be able to get a 64-bit OS to install properly.

[quote name='Owen']Here is a link with some more Quick launch info.

http://www.sevenforums.com/tutorials/888-quick-launch-enable-disable.html

They also seem to have a bunch of other Windows 7 tweaks so you may want to check it out.[/quote]

Thanks for the link. Unfortunately it didn't have anything there that I was interested in or didn't already know as I've spent a fair amount of time thinkering with the OS to get to know it better (and searching the web). Hopefully someone else may find some use from it.

That reminds me... I need to try setting up a network with the XP PC in my house tomorrow. Hopefully it won't be as much of a pain as it is with Vista.

Thanks for the Quicklaunch tip Draekon. Kind of turned off by the beta. I still haven't seen any way to change the taskbar back to Vista (which I'm guessing doesn't exist). They also took out one of my favorite features of Windows Media Player. I haven't found the option to "dock" it to the taskbar yet. It is usually listed under "Toolbars" when you right click the taskbar.

Windows 7 will not work for me. I start it up in Virtual PC, and it gets to the desktop, before going nowhere. I can open some programs, but then cannot do anything with them. Very frustrating, as I've tried a number of things to get it going. (Haven't tried safe mode, but will tomorrow.)

[quote name='talonthrawn']Having installation issues, I'm running an E8400 Wolfdale processor but when I try to install Windows 7 on virtual box it says I don't have a 64 bit processor.. wtf?[/QUOTE]
There might be a virtualization option for the processor in the BIOS that it would help to turn on.

For those that downloaded the 32bit version from Microsoft, when you run winver from the search box at the start menu, does it say it expires 7-1-09? I wonder if they changed the expiration date they posted to August 1 after they decided to release it but forgot to update the date timebomb.

I saw screenshots, and the new WordPad is neat (which is a key point because I use WordPad a lot).

I'll need to read up on Windows 7 before I even consider 'upgrading'.

Does anyone know why I can't find nvidia windows 7 graphic drivers? I have a 6800 gt oc, and nvidia's site says please use windows update. I use that, but it never finds graphic drivers. Anyone know what to do?

Check the device manager and look at the properties of your video card in there. It's possible the driver was pre-loaded into Windows 7 and it automatically installed it and there was no need to update it yet through Windows Update.

Also, check and make sure you somehow didn't already download it through Windows Update and not notice it by checking your Windows Update download log for it.

anyone useing virtualbox with a wired network have issues with it connecting to the internet? all mine wants to do is look for a wireless network when the only things that connect to my router wirelessly are the ps3 and wii. My 2 computers and 360 are all wired.

bread's done
Back