Ghostbusters (PS3) discussion thread

Sinistar

CAGiversary!
I didn't see a thread started for this. I decided to get the PS3 version since the PC version is not going to have any online play whatsoever.
And a side note, Best Buy better not screw me over on the preorder deal. Last time I preordered from them I didn't get the preorder bonuses.

Anyway, anyone up for some multiplayer this week? Maybe we can have a weekly CAG night bustin' ghosts. :)

I'm hoping they do some kind of update or disc reprint to fix the ps3 version, it sucks.

Anyway, I'm still having fun with it, and since the PS3's the one that's typically hooked up, I'll be sticking with this version. The only thing I need to complete my transformation back into my 7 year old self is some Hi-C Ecto Cooler. They should have remade it for the game release.

[quote name='Sarrasis']The difference between the 360 and PS3 versions is embarrassing. Seriously, how can they release it like this?

http://www.lensoftruth.com/?p=10974[/QUOTE]
A link someone posted in the comments says it's only running at 960x540...
What happened to "PS3 is the leading platform" for this game?

Seems like the Guitar Hero games was the same way. That sucks that the ps3 version of Ghostbusters isn't up to par with the 360 version. I guess I'll be playing the 360 one.

[quote name='Sarrasis']The difference between the 360 and PS3 versions is embarrassing. Seriously, how can they release it like this?

http://www.lensoftruth.com/?p=10974[/QUOTE]

What's that link? it's not loading for me..
Best Buy would not let me pick up my pre-order today even thgouth they had it in stock.. they said street date is not until tomorrow so I have to come back then.

Main differences:

360 version runs at both 480p and 720p. The PS3 version is an upscaled 480p, so textures can be muddy and blurry. The character models look fine though, just the background stuff is wonky.

360 version has burning embers in the trail of destruction from the proton pack. PS3 does not.

I don't know about the 360 version, but my PS3 version's frozen twice already. Both of them in the Library level.

It's still a good game, but if you have both systems, the 360's the way to go.

Ok, so I'm reading the reports about the PS3 version and reading that it's only 540p resolution. I have the unopened game right here, and on the back it says for the resolutions, 480p, 720p, 1080i, and 1080p.

Is this some kind of bug in the game, or are the reports BS?

I'm no expert, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn last night, but I'm pretty sure that, while the game supports output at 480/720/1080p, the reports of 540p resolution means the game's native resolution is 540p. When it outputs at a higher resolution it upscales.

The box just means it supports upscaling to those resolutions, unlike some PS3 games that have to be forced (by having 480p and 1080p as the only options in the Display Options of the XMB) to upscale.

Again... Everything I just said may smell funny as I may just be talking from my ass... :lol:

[quote name='mguiddy']I'm no expert, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn last night, but I'm pretty sure that, while the game supports output at 480/720/1080p, the reports of 540p resolution means the game's native resolution is 540p. When it outputs at a higher resolution it upscales.

The box just means it supports upscaling to those resolutions, unlike some PS3 games that have to be forced (by having 480p and 1080p as the only options in the Display Options of the XMB) to upscale.

Again... Everything I just said may smell funny as I may just be talking from my ass... :lol:[/QUOTE]

So, in other words, you're saying that you can't polish a turd?

Sad... Well, I'll wait a few days before I go get my money back. People are pitching a fit on the Atari forums.

The strange thing is that many games only have 720p on the back of the box; so I was kind of getting my hopes up when I saw the 1080p on the box.

[quote name='mguiddy']I'm no expert, nor did I stay at a Holiday Inn last night, [/QUOTE]
:rofl::rofl::rofl:

All I know is I love my Ghostbusters on my PS3. Who wants to get in on some online play?

I was considering this game, but I play on an SDtv still so the resolution nonsense would be squat to me. But I can understand why so many are pissed that the PS3 version isn't looking all shiny and pretty and shit.

As long as the game is FUN, that's ALL that matters, with the ONLY exception being if it's a REALLY buggy piece of shit that keeps crashing every other second.

Oh and fuss, I picked up Legends Of Wrestlemania for PS3 last night from Gamestop($35 there). I'm still getting a handle on the controls, but it's a fairly fun title and well worth the $35 from what I'm seeing thus far. Though I do wish that more wrestlers were unlocked from the start and that they had the 'modern' version of Triple H in it.

It boggles my mind that it's 2009 and we're still getting shit copies of multiplatform games on the PS3.

Been playing the PS3 version for a couple days now and the graphic differences have been blown way out of proportion. I went to the exact places shown on the lens of truth site and it looks no where near that bad.

I also ran around in circles several times in the spot where they were showing the walls breaking apart and it never happened to me once. Either something was wrong with the specific copy they had, something is wrong with their PS3, or they are just full of shit.

Now, having said that, I have had numerous other issues with the PS3 version of the game. The main one is events not triggering. At one point in the first level after the tutorial, the hotel manager is supposed to come bitch at you and tell you what to do next, and he just stood in the hall and never moved. Rebooted and tried again, same thing. All my guys were just standing around in the middle of the room doing nothing and waiting for the next trigger for the story.

Reloaded a third time and finally got it to trigger after moving behind the manager and literally pushing him further down the hall. He eventually took off on his own and moved the story along.

When things are running smooth, absolutely love the game. Picked it up as a rental initially but I will actually be buying this later on down the road to add to my collection.

There is a lot more going on in the PS3 version. Like in the video that I quoted in my post above the explosion is much more graphically impressive on the ps3 side of the screen.

And in the image DarkNess posted the sign in the upper left corner has sparks coming out on the PS3 version but not the 360.

[quote name='AdvOfJet']

I also ran around in circles several times in the spot where they were showing the walls breaking apart and it never happened to me once. Either something was wrong with the specific copy they had, something is wrong with their PS3, or they are just full of shit.[/QUOTE]

Well, they did say that the copy they played was a 'preview copy' that was at some Play N Trade, so that may explain things a bit. Perhaps it was a late beta copy and not properly finished for either system, since I think it said that both were preview copies.

TR's Mark Randel Responds to PS3 Ghostbusters controversy

For the record, the PS3 version [of Ghostbusters] is softer due to the 'quincunx' antialiasing filter and the fact we render at about 75% the resolution of the 360 version. So you cannot directly compare a screen shot of one to the other unless you scale them properly. The PS3 does have less available RAM than the 360 – but we managed to squeeze 3 out of 4 textures as full size on the PS3.
What a bunch of BS.

[quote name='Sarrasis']TR's Mark Randel Responds to PS3 Ghostbusters controversy

The PS3 does have less available RAM than the 360 – but we managed to squeeze 3 out of 4 textures as full size on the PS3.
What a bunch of BS.[/QUOTE]

Wow, so the developers of Uncharted, MGS4, Infamous, and the developers of God of War III (and countless others) must have magical powers that defy the laws of physics!

Ok, so anyway, is the game good or not (gameplay-wise)? Is it really an 8 out of 10?

Last edited by a moderator:
Finally had to play a couple of stages in the single player.. I'm in the library now. The game is pretty fun, though when a lot of enemies on the screen at once you tend to get double teamed a lot but it's not too annoying. I like using the PK meter to search for stuff. I played a few multilayer private games with a friend, just to get a feel for it.. anyone up for a 4 player game?

Oh man... Those graphics look awful compared to the 360 version... That almost looks last gen. Oh well, guess I'll just wait for Ghostbusters 2 : /

... What I want to know is which system will be getting "exclusive" or "better" downloadable content?

If you own both systems, then get the 360 one. If you only own a PS3 and you planned on buying this game, I don't see what the issue is.

[quote name='NamPaehc']the muliplayer stat boarded is wacked. =/

i maxed out my lvl at 20 in 2 days , last uniform you get is like the gb2 suit.[/QUOTE]

You mean the one I preordered at Gamestop for? :bomb::bomb::bomb:

[quote name='NamPaehc']the muliplayer stat boarded is wacked. =/

i maxed out my lvl at 20 in 2 days , last uniform you get is like the gb2 suit.[/QUOTE]

So wait- my free DLC from Gamestop is an ingame unlockable?! BS!!!

Anyway- i love the game. It suffers a lot of pitfalls that any licensed game has- and it can be kind of a chore at times, but over all- it's a great experience for fans of the series.

I really hope that they make a sequel- and even more, I hope that other properties are given this treatment going forward.

[quote name='HowStern']There is a lot more going on in the PS3 version. Like in the video that I quoted in my post above the explosion is much more graphically impressive on the ps3 side of the screen.

And in the image DarkNess posted the sign in the upper left corner has sparks coming out on the PS3 version but not the 360.[/QUOTE]

I think you have your left and right mixed up.

Well, the TR guys pretty much admitted that the PS3 has 75% of the textures as the 360 version, so I don't think much can be done if content is missing. After searching on google, I saw that it's more like 56% of the content of the 360.

I'm pretty bummed out about this; I've had this game preordered since it became available. The screenshots looked so good for the PS3 version, and when I realized that they made the Wii version have that cartoony look, I switched my preorder to the PS3 version.

Then, I read the lame excuses that TR gave for the game looking as it does; so I decided i'm going to return my copy and get 2 of the PS3 greatest hits game for 1/2 price. I'll rent this game when it's available (somehow, the blockbuster near me doesn't have a copy yet), and I may buy it used for less than 1/2 price just for the gameplay and since I'm such a big fan of the movie.

I still wish someone would run this game over HDMI in 1080p and tell us if it's still all blurry and washed-out looking as in the videos.

Also, the 360 version isn't darker--the colors are richer and more vibrant. I hope they do have a sequel for the game, and I hope they choose a different developer, like Naughty Dog, or someone who can actually make games.

fuck all this blah blah blah about the ps3 vs the 360 versions....

who wants to play online?? Add me and lets do this! Just send a note saying you are from here for ghostbusters when you send the add!

[quote name='fuss']fuck all this blah blah blah about the ps3 vs the 360 versions....

who wants to play online?? Add me and lets do this! Just send a note saying you are from here for ghostbusters when you send the add![/QUOTE]

:applause::applause::applause: Remember the time when games were discussed and people only discussed how good or bad they were and not how pretty or unpretty the graphics were?

[quote name='fuss']fuck all this blah blah blah about the ps3 vs the 360 versions....

who wants to play online?? Add me and lets do this! Just send a note saying you are from here for ghostbusters when you send the add![/QUOTE]
Whatt!?!? How are you going to play online if the carpet texture is blurry!? You are insane and a disgrace to the gaming community!

:bomb:

The only time the graphics bothered me were the in-game cutscenes at the firehouse. The faces looked a bit blurry and the speech wasn't 100% synced, but I didn't notice any difference between the two versions while bustin'.

[quote name='HowStern']Yeah that's a load of crap what that TR guy said. Both systems have the same amount of ram. And the PS3 has a faster processor for the graphics core.

http://www.gamespot.com/features/6125087/index.html?type=tech[/QUOTE]

Based on the PS3's system overhead and how Sony mandates that developers allocate memory between graphics and application use, the PS3 has less AVAILABLE memory.

http://technabob.com/blog/2007/03/26/ps3-system-uses-3x-more-memory-than-xbox-360/

BTW, not to sound like an ass, but the link you posted quotes the PS3 as having 2 HDMI ports (which it only did in the concept stages)

[quote name='jh6269']

I still wish someone would run this game over HDMI in 1080p and tell us if it's still all blurry and washed-out looking as in the videos.

[/QUOTE]

I'm doing that, and the environments are all extra blurry. I'd still say wait unless you're really interested in multiplayer as it seems like a very short game.

@Osiris even still with the bigger memory footprint the ps3's XDR memory is running at 3.2Ghz as opposed to Xbox360 GDR3 RAM running 700Mhz.
So, the ps3 can obviously process the stuff much quicker it just needs a good dev, that understands the tech, behind the wheel.

Also, the PS3's footprint isn't as big as the article you posted said. It uses 84mb apparently not 96.

But it really doesn't matter since the processor is so fast.

Ya'll hurry up and get online! I need me a decent team to help me earn my top score back on the online leaderboards.

There are certain modes where you have to be organized or you will NEVER win. The distruptor protection rounds... You can't just keep killing the marshmallow golem over and over during downtown... Gotta freeze him and STAY AWAY from the distruptor to keep him off of it while picking off the mini's if you want to win.

>>>Oh and the Last uniform does look like this. Very similar. But it has the original no-ghost logo, and to me looks darker, like on the arm bands. More black then gray. Though I can't get a good look at it, only backview and it is covered by pack so someone will have to get online with me to confirm any more details you need.

42.jpg

Mine arrived from amazon today! Although, I'm decently close to the end of Cross Edge, and I might be able to finish it this weekend, so I guess I'll put off starting Ghostbusters until afterward.

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I'm so glad that they play the Ghostbusters theme song on the game's splash screen. I could listen to it all day.[/QUOTE]

HA! That is odd... I was just going to post that if anyone gets tired of the movie music (which I saw complained about in other places) this game does support custom soundtracks via the XMB.

Hurry up and finish single player ya'll. I need me a good GB crew online!

[quote name='FriskyTanuki']I'm so glad that they play the Ghostbusters theme song on the game's splash screen. I could listen to it all day.[/QUOTE]

I second that!!!

bread's done
Back