Wii price drop (Confirmed for Sunday) $199 TRU, Target, Best Buy ad leaks

wildnuts02

CAGiversary!
Feedback
14 (100%)
this has finally been confirmed by Best Buy internal emails. The price drop will be officially announced by Nintendo on 9/25:

http://www.engadget.com/2009/09/22/wii-price-drop-confirmed-199-starting-this-weekend/

Ad Leaks

http://kotaku.com/5359038/toys-r-us-ad-points-to-199-wii-price-drop-this-month

Also, if you notice, in the TRU ad, there is a bonus that has a $12.99 value. According to CAG prim4444 the bonus is a Nintendo T-Shirt. Thanks!

500x_wii_tru_price_cut.jpg

Target ad proof:
[quote name='Fernando Rocker']An anonymous tipster sends us this picture of an alleged Target circular for the week of September 27th, joining Wal-Mart and Toys R Us on the $199.99 Wii price drop bandwagon.
Sure it's blurry and only a partial picture of the full page, but the information in this picture coincides with the information we've seen previously in rumored ads from both Wal-Mart and Toys R Us, sharing the exact date with the latter.

This latest ad also fuels our suspicions that Nintendo will make a big price drop announcement during the Tokyo Game Show next week, despite the fact that the company does not have an official presence at the show.

Via Kotaku.

500x_targetad.jpg
[/QUOTE]

Best Buy
c6a6s.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
well... isn't that the same price as the 360 Arcade?

Wonder if they remodeled the Wii to use less parts, because they were easily making over $60 per console.

Wii sales have slowed. Wii Motion was not a big deal for console sales...not enough good games utilizing it.

This is a stimulus...it's not worth $249 after the 360 and PS3 price drops.

It's worth $199.99. There are enough good to decent games to warrant it and the downloadable games make it a steal...

[quote name='Trebuken']Wii sales have slowed. Wii Motion was not a big deal for console sales...not enough good games utilizing it.

This is a stimulus...it's not worth $249 after the 360 and PS3 price drops.

It's worth $199.99. There are enough good to decent games to warrant it and the downloadable games make it a steal...[/QUOTE]

i personally disagree. i had one for a year and got rid of it because there were always better/prettier games to play on PS360 with generally better control schemes. but to each their own!

the wii should be $150. seriously, 120gb ps3 slim for $300, and wii is only going to $200? it's just not worth that much currently.

Wii sucks foR us real gamers.

I have 5 wii games compare to 10 ps3 and 30 360 games. Wii just doesn't have my needs to satisfy my craving.

Wake me up when galaxy 2 releases. Probably late next yr

Nintendo should just charge the full $250 and use the extra bucks to finally get a fucking online system that doesn't require everyone to put in their social security number and doesn't lag like a bitch.

Not bad. I've been considering picking one up for my brother, as he and I were practically raised by awesome Nintendo games (Mario, Punch-Out, etc) but he doesn't come 'round my place enough to play any of my many Wii games. This might be the spot where I bite on it for him.

And on a completely different note from the rest of the thread: Thanks for the link and info TC.

I would get one but I have a feeling that the Wii will be completely obsolete next year when Sony and Microsoft's motion control stuff comes out. Plus Wii games look pretty bad on HDTVs.

[quote name='vherub']wow, people in this thread act like nintendo is out there beating puppies and starting forest fires[/QUOTE]

You didn't already know this?

Late on a price cut, hardware and cost wise, but it's not like they needed it to sell the system. Lol at everyone who thinks the wii defiled their mother and killed their father :roll:

Should have happened a year ago, and would be a much better price if they included 2 remotes and Sports Resort/Motion Plus, since it's best used with multiple people anyway.

Disagree with all the hate on the Wii though. My PS3 keeps me busy but there's plenty on the system to keep me entertained.

quite honestly im waiting for the drop should have been 179$ no bundle. anyways meh, im waiting for it to go to 100$

the thing that sums up the nintendo wii is they can play dvds but are too checp to let them play dvd movies for their consumers due to some licensing fee!

[quote name='vherub']wow, people in this thread act like nintendo is out there beating puppies and starting forest fires[/QUOTE]

LoL.

[quote name='Aleman']I would get one but I have a feeling that the Wii will be completely obsolete next year when Sony and Microsoft's motion control stuff comes out. Plus Wii games look pretty bad on HDTVs.[/QUOTE]

possibly. but ms and sony still won't have mario, samus, and link. and i rather like them. plus, i wanna play some of my old gamecube games. mainly just Twin Snakes, but still... now may be the time for me to re-buy a Wii.

The Wii isn't nearly as horrible or offensive to the 'true gamer' as so many say. Standard issue message board hyperbole. It's a great counterpart/sidekick to your 'real' console(s) of choice, so long as your tastes aren't extremely narrow (or FPS-heavy).

Yes, folks, I defended the Wii. On CAG. Anything is possible.

P.S. I have to admit, I really hope that the MotionPlus gets more and better implementation over the coming months. At the same time, companies that choose to utilize it have to get it right. Half-assing? Worse than omitting it altogether.

My PS3 is only good for playing blu-rays and that's it.

Does the ECA discount work on systems too? I used to love my Wii... I didn't even need any other games, Wii Sports was good enough for me. The tennis was awesome. I did end up buying a few more games, though... they're still here waiting for me to buy a new Wii.

CAG needs to add consoles to its catalog so I can be notified when the Wii becomes $79.99. Anything higher than that is not worth it.

[quote name='earvcunanan']ECA doesn't work on systems, but even if it did then it still wouldn't make Wii worth it even after its price drop, IMO.[/QUOTE]

Aw c'mon. Stop it. The Wii is a fun little system. It has tons of shovelware and ridiculously stupid friend codes, but come on...

I spent $250 on it when it first came out... sold it for $170 a while later and I've been missing it ever since.... I'll definitely pick one up when it drops to $200.

[quote name='MetalGearDraco']Yeah, too bad there's no new games for it.[/QUOTE]

Muramasa: The Demon Blade
Metroid Prime Trilogy
Dead Space Extraction
New Super Mario Bros. (Coming out in the next couple months)

Super Mario Galaxy 2 and Metroid: Other M coming out next year too.

Wii is doing excellent on the releases, much better than the last 2 years.

[quote name='J7.']CAG needs to add consoles to its catalog so I can be notified when the Wii becomes $79.99. Anything higher than that is not worth it.[/QUOTE]

My Wii collection is about 1/5 of my 360 collection, but even I can say this quote is pure stupidity.

[quote name='jollydwarf'] P.S. I have to admit, I really hope that the MotionPlus gets more and better implementation over the coming months. At the same time, companies that choose to utilize it have to get it right. Half-assing? Worse than omitting it altogether.[/QUOTE]

Yet to use WM+ so far, but I'm really hoping red steel 2 delivers as much as it seems to in videos of the game. Of course along with every other game this fall it got delayed, so still got awhile to go.

For those of us with little time for games, and who have actually seen a vagina, the wii is a great casual system and $199 is worth it.

If it wasn't embraced by the masses but had the exact same library, I can only imagine gamers doting over the wii for it's "gems" that the other consoles don't have.

[quote name='denshaotoko']the thing that sums up the nintendo wii is they can play dvds but are too checp to let them play dvd movies for their consumers due to some licensing fee![/QUOTE]

That's not being cheap, that's being smart. I already have a million and one things that play DVDs; I don't need to pay for that feature yet another time.

[quote name='62t']I use my Wii way more than PS3[/QUOTE]

Absolutely true. I can't even remember the last time my 60gb PS3 went on. As for the Wii, anyone who bashes it has obviously never played Tiger Woods 2010 on it. I hate video golf games, and am absolutely in love with the Wii version of that game.

[quote name='62t']I use my Wii way more than PS3[/QUOTE]

[quote name='loserboy']Absolutely true. I can't even remember the last time my 60gb PS3 went on. As for the Wii, anyone who bashes it has obviously never played Tiger Woods 2010 on it. I hate video golf games, and am absolutely in love with the Wii version of that game.[/QUOTE]

To both of you guys. Why? I always play my 360/PS3 while my Wii just sits there. I finally turned on the Wii for the first time in the last 4 months. Tiger Woods 2010... If that's the best you have to offer me no wonder I don't play it. ;)

Back on topic. Good to see the Wii is finally getting a price drop. I assumed it would since both PS3, and 360 dropped the price. Still I don't feel the Wii is worth 200 personally.

[quote name='loserboy']Absolutely true. I can't even remember the last time my 60gb PS3 went on. As for the Wii, anyone who bashes it has obviously never played Tiger Woods 2010 on it. I hate video golf games, and am absolutely in love with the Wii version of that game.[/QUOTE]

i have tiger woods 10 and wii motion plus. If you seriously consider that better then everything the ps3 offers, then hang up your gamer nametag at the door and go to the old peoples home to play there. You arent allowed to play with the cool kids anymore.

Yah, I'd impulse buy one and try to convince myself that the kids would play it...but I never would, and they'd likely play a couple of games, then hound me to play on the 360 or DS with them. I'll pass Nintendo. I have enough shovelware on my DS already.

I guess Nintendo didn't want to be left out of the price drop party, particularly since MS has a sub-$200 package.

My 5 and 3 yr old really enjoy Wii Sports Resort--I'd recommend the system just for that if you have kids that age. Good thing I already had a copy of Tiger 10 w/Wiimotion though. I really hate having to buy two of something that should've already been part of the system. :p

[quote name='heyheyhey11']Wii sucks foR us real gamers.

I have 5 wii games compare to 10 ps3 and 30 360 games. Wii just doesn't have my needs to satisfy my craving.

Wake me up when galaxy 2 releases. Probably late next yr[/QUOTE]

You have FIVE? And you call yourself a real gamer? For shame.

I guess it's fun to wii hate... it's got to be the 'thing' to do if you want to be 'cool'... throw around phrases like "real gamer", "horrible on HDTV", and "not enough games".

Just because a console is intended for a younger audience doesn't make it less than any of the others.

I've had mine since launch and threw 100s of hours on it, and over 1000 with the nephews. Sure most of the games are shovelware, but your taste isn't what the Wii was for, it's for that 7 year old, the 90 year old grandma and the party games.

I have two libraries of Wii games, divided up between the kids and my own collection, and just coming off the top of my head has to be around 45. Sure some are cross consoles like the Lego games and Ghostbusters, but there are some exclusives too.

Damn, you people are good at trolling. :roll:

[quote name='Vortextk']If it wasn't embraced by the masses but had the exact same library, I can only imagine gamers doting over the wii for it's "gems" that the other consoles don't have.[/QUOTE]

Worked for the Dreamcast, didn't it?

[quote name='A Happy Panda']You have FIVE? And you call yourself a real gamer? For shame.[/QUOTE]

No kidding. If you can only find five games on the Wii that you like, you're not a gamer.

[quote name='xycury']I guess it's fun to wii hate... it's got to be the 'thing' to do if you want to be 'cool'... throw around phrases like "real gamer", "horrible on HDTV", and "not enough games".

Just because a console is intended for a younger audience doesn't make it less than any of the others.

I've had mine since launch and threw 100s of hours on it, and over 1000 with the nephews. Sure most of the games are shovelware, but your taste isn't what the Wii was for, it's for that 7 year old, the 90 year old grandma and the party games.

I have two libraries of Wii games, divided up between the kids and my own collection, and just coming off the top of my head has to be around 45. Sure some are cross consoles like the Lego games and Ghostbusters, but there are some exclusives too.[/QUOTE]

The main reason the Wii has so much shovelware is the same reason that the PS1 and PS2 did: it's the most popular of its generation, and it's cheap to develop for. Dealing with the PS3's hardware or the 360's high definition requirements aren't worth it when you're trying to get crappy games out for a cheap buck.

It's Nintendo's fault as much as it was Sony's. In other words: it's only their fault for winning the console war at the moment.

Do I regret gettting a Wii for $250 at launch? Mostly.
Do I regret getting a Wii over a 360? Definately.
Do I regret getting a Wii? Hell no.

See this post. Especially play Super Mario Galaxy, Endless Ocean, House of the Dead: Overkill, Wario Land, de Blob, Metroid Prime Trilogy, Wii Sports Resort, and Brawl.

bread's done
Back