ECA Membership - Currently Free - Amazon Code Status: Gone for good

Status
Not open for further replies.

jacknicklson

CAGiversary!
Feedback
197 (100%)
Mods' edit:
No begging for codes. Beggars will be permabanned on the spot.

Current Status:

This promotion is no longer available

logo_eca.gif
Get 10% off all your Amazon gaming purchases for a year and receive other special benefits by joining the ECA, a non-profit advocacy organization which is dedicated to defending and advancing the interests of gamers.

icon4.gif
Join the ECA $14.99 (college students & military), others $19.99

Free memberships available - Use coupon code GIMAG to receive a full 1 year membership to the ECA

After you enter your CC number and the coupon, the page after lets you check everything before you submit your order. That way you know that the coupon worked and you won't be charged.

Check your spam filters for the confirmation link, if you signed up for the newsletter you will get 2 emails, one for the newsletter and one for the membership. For some reason the newsletter one showed up in my inbox and the membership was in my junk mail folder, so keep an eye out.

Thanks to dallascowboys for the coupon code and Linkin Prime for the tidbit about your junk mail folder!

Complete list of discounts/benefits:
Discounted games sales/rental offerings from:

• Amazon.com - America's largest online retailer is exclusively offering ECA members 10% off all computer and video game purchases at Amazon.com (software and some accessories/peripherals).
  • Astro Gaming Promo Code - Astro Gaming creates premium video gaming equipment for pro gamers, leagues and their lifestyles.
  • BringIt.com Promo Code -BringIt.com allows gamers from across the world to compete in 1v1, team challenges, as well as NCAA bracket style tournaments and win REAL CASH and Prizes. Promo code will give you 25% of your deposit matched.
  • Buy.com - $5 off of your purchase of $75(one time use)
  • Dawdle - Reduced commissions on sold items, 10.99% down from 11.99%
  • Direct2Drive.com - Download your code from the ECA's exclusive member benefits section to use at Direct2Drive.com towards 10% off your game purchases. Direct2Drive's easy and secure system lets you download full pc games, arcade games, anime, game guides, and comics from home instead of dealing with waiting time and inventory stock-outs. Check out thier site for the best way to buy!
  • GameFly - ECA members will receive a 30-day free trial to their video game rental service.
  • GameHQ - 10% off of all pre-played games with free shipping.
  • Good Old Games - A leading destination for download-to-own DRM-free classic PC games, is offering members 20% off of new game purchases.
  • MAINGEAR - Manufacturer of high end PCs. 5% discount on phone orders.
  • Maxmodz.com - Receive 12% off of your order. Expires 12/31/2009.
  • Newegg/Patriot Gaming - Get $10 off when you buy select memory sticks.
  • ThinkGeek.com Promo Code - Promo code will give you $5 off of orders between $25 and $50, and $10 off of orders of more than $50. Expires 12/31/2009.
Discounted admission/access offerings from:

• America's Video Game Expo 2009 - 10% discount
  • GameX - 3$ off of a day pass, $9 off of a 3-day pass.
  • Infinite Bits Convention - 10% discount. Convention is 10/23 through 10/25.
  • NYComiCon - is offering members a discount on the price of admission. Coming soon!
Discounted/Free Trial offerings from:

• GameJobs - ECA members receive free resume uploads at GameJobs.com, the leading job board and career site serving the games business.
  • Hyatt Hotels - members receive a 5-10% discount on room rates at Hyatt Hotels throughout the US and Canada.
  • Prima Publishing - get 10% off of over 500 hint book and strategy guides.
  • Warcry - ECA members are invited to take advantage of a 30-day free trial membership in the Warcry Network's "Choice" program.

ECA/Amazon FAQ

1. I can't get into the member's area/can't find out where to pay. Help!

After the initial registration email, you should receive a second email linking you to a payment page. You can request that this email be resent if need be. Make sure to check your junk/spam folders as well.

2. Will this work on consoles?

No. Games and most accessories only. Physical point cards are also eligible, but not digital point codes.

3. Do these work on Quick Picks/Deals of the Day/Trade-in Coupons?

Yes, Yes, and Yes!

4. How do I get my Quick Picks to show games?

Quick Picks FAQ

5. Does this work on Pre-orders?

Yes, it does. The price will also automatically take off 10% of whatever the final selling point is due to the Pre-Price Guarantee that Amazon offers.

6. I have heard that these offers have expired/been removed, is this true?

There have been a few instances where codes expired or they ran out but The ECA and Amazon have usually rectified the situation within a week or so. Also, the Terms of Service state that any membership benefits can change or be canceled without any notice so keep that in mind when signing up.

7. Double and Triple stacking

This is no longer possible. Don't bother trying. Originally when the ECA would run out of codes and switch to a new batch members were able to stack codes. A glitch in Amazon's system would keep older codes in your account, and it was possible to add codes from the newer batches to obtain more than 10% off. Amazon found out about this, hence the reason the codes are currently down/ being worked on. Modifying these orders is at your own risk, don't bother asking about them because no one has a definite answer for you.

8. Begging/Asking for codes

This is not allowed. If you beg/ask for a code you will be permabanned. No questions asked.

9. Selling codes

Definitely a big no no. If you do this, you will get reported to the ECA and your account will be shut down.

10. If I make a pre-order with a code a cancel it, will the code still work?

Yes. Codes should remain in your account but again they will no longer stack. It is one code per order. Amazon and the ECA are working on codes tied into our accounts but this option is not yet available. There have been recent reports of these codes not auto-applying after cancelling an order so do this AT YOUR OWN RISK. Also, if any part of your order has been fulfilled(i.e. shipped) the code will not be added back to your account after cancelling the remaining items in your order.

11. If I already have a pre-order made, can I add a 10% off code to it?

You cannot add anything to an order once it is made except a gift card. You can try emailing Amazon customer support and ask them to add it. Generally they have no issue doing this for you but it's a crap shoot.

12. What if I already have a pre-order with the old codes applied? Should I be worried?

We don't know definitively, but chances are good that Amazon will not touch the pre orders we have already made.

13. How do I cancel my recurring subscription to the ECA to avoid future charges?

Visit the Entertainment Consumers Association
Sign in and click on your username
Select the View tab
Towards the bottom of the page, you will see a Recurring Fees table
Click cancel
Ignore the warning and click confirm

13. I can't find the codes, please help?!?!?!?!

Visit the Entertainment Consumers Association
Click on "Visit Members Area"
ECA.jpg

Credit to slickkill77 for assistance with this FAQ!

Last edited by a moderator:
woo 2nd post...

thanks for putting the CODES are down.. sort of got tired of everyone asking WHERE THE CODES

we need on old man walking up to Cheapy D in an ad and saying

WHERES THE CODES

like that old woman on the wendys ads saying WHERES THE BEEF

LOL

[quote name='Rising']hope the codes come back soon. i have a whole list of games that i want to get.[/QUOTE]

That didn't take long :D

Sorry, just always been taught (redneck schooling, I guess) that something (y) xfold = 2^x*y, so 20 10fold is 2^10*20 = 20,480. Like folding a piece of paper, the 20 doubles every time. But internet definitely says multiplication. Weird.

[quote name='Skoad']Sorry, just always been taught (redneck schooling, I guess) that something (y) xfold = 2^x*y, so 20 10fold is 2^10*20 = 20,480. Like folding a piece of paper, the 20 doubles every time. But internet definitely says multiplication. Weird.[/QUOTE]

(dunno how this got into this thread but...)

Either you went to the best school in the world or the worst school in the world.

People in America can barely multiply... there's no way a common expression like 10fold involves powers.

For a game that's coming out on the 20th(Smackdown vs Raw 2010), what's the latest I can order it and still be able to take advantage of it being delivered on the 20th to my house thanks to Prime's Release Day Delivery option? As these codes not being up yet has been killing me.

[quote name='VashandWolfwood']For a game that's coming out on the 20th(Smackdown vs Raw 2010), what's the latest I can order it and still be able to take advantage of it being delivered on the 20th to my house thanks to Prime's Release Day Delivery option? As these codes not being up yet has been killing me.[/QUOTE]

Probably Sunday night/early Monday afternoon

I just signed up and have never used the code before. I see that the codes are not currently working. It's not clear to me where to monitor on the eca site to catch the return of the codes. Can someone who's done this before please explain it to me? I think this would also be a good question to add to the list in the first post.
Thanks!

[quote name='hellmutt']I just signed up and have never used the code before. I see that the codes are not currently working. It's not clear to me where to monitor on the eca site to catch the return of the codes. Can someone who's done this before please explain it to me? I think this would also be a good question to add to the list in the first post.
Thanks![/QUOTE]

It's in the OP. The most likely place you'll find the status updates would be:

http://forums.theeca.com/showthread.php?t=6672

This thread will be updated and probably a new thread will be created by an enthusiastic poster when the codes are back up or updated.

New thread is new and good. Thanks Jack. I think the wait will be worth it when the codes become multiusable.

[quote name='kilm']It's in the OP. The most likely place you'll find the status updates would be:

http://forums.theeca.com/showthread.php?t=6672

This thread will be updated and probably a new thread will be created by an enthusiastic poster when the codes are back up or updated.[/QUOTE]

Thanks, I saw that part. What I don't understand (and didn't see addressed in the OP) is how/where the actual codes are actually displayed, and how the code is generated. Maybe it's not here because the mechanism is changing and people don't know how it will work when the codes return?

[quote name='hellmutt']Thanks, I saw that part. What I don't understand (and didn't see addressed in the OP) is how/where the actual codes are actually displayed, and how the code is generated. Maybe it's not here because the mechanism is changing and people don't know how it will work when the codes return?[/QUOTE]

Pretty much. All we've been told is that the multi-use codes are supposedly coming soon rather than the one-time use codes we've been using until the last batch was removed. Basically it will be a single code that you use on your account, and it will apply to every eligible video game order you make on that account.

When it comes back, the code will either be displayed there, or there should be some sort of link that you have to click to generate the code. Supposedly, after you generate the code on your account, you shouldn't be able to (or need to, really) generate another code.

I think it is funny that the eca is directing people to CAG for updates in the thread.

NOTE: Please stop making new Amazon threads. If you have specific questions please look at previous posts here or go to the linked CAG.com thread with plenty of information.

Stop making threads advertising for these tools. The eca is one of the most disorganized organizations I've ever seen.

"here, sign up and get these benefits that ALONE rationalize your membership fee"

Then the bait and switch comes when the promised benefits are only available rarely and sporadically. It would be one thing if they ever actually ACCOMPLISHED something with the membership dues, but they've proved to be inept and useless so far so it's really more of a cash in exchange for benefits type transaction.

the administrators on the forums are pricks, acting like it's not a big deal that they don't offer what was promised and offering the "recourse" of letting you terminate your membership (with no refund of course).

[quote name='JCDenton']Stop making threads advertising for these tools. The eca is one of the most disorganized organizations I've ever seen.

"here, sign up and get these benefits that ALONE rationalize your membership fee"

Then the bait and switch comes when the promised benefits are only available rarely and sporadically. It would be one thing if they ever actually ACCOMPLISHED something with the membership dues, but they've proved to be inept and useless so far so it's really more of a cash in exchange for benefits type transaction.

the administrators on the forums are pricks, acting like it's not a big deal that they don't offer what was promised and offering the "recourse" of letting you terminate your membership (with no refund of course).[/QUOTE]

wahhhhhmmmmbulance.

was rather amused to read on their forums that they actually believe the majority of the paying members are fine with having paid for what a lot of people then got for free

personally being a student I would have much rather saved my $15 to use on something else if I had known it would become free only a couple weeks after I paid

just seems like poor "customer" relations on the part of the ECA (cruelly ironic since supposedly they represent the consumers to the publishers and congress)

[quote name='JCDenton']Stop making threads advertising for these tools. The eca is one of the most disorganized organizations I've ever seen.

the administrators on the forums are pricks, acting like it's not a big deal that they don't offer what was promised and offering the "recourse" of letting you terminate your membership (with no refund of course).[/QUOTE]

The man speaks the truth

[quote name='buckythekat']was rather amused to read on their forums that they actually believe the majority of the paying members are fine with having paid for what a lot of people then got for free

personally being a student I would have much rather saved my $15 to use on something else if I had known it would become free only a couple weeks after I paid

just seems like poor "customer" relations on the part of the ECA (cruelly ironic since supposedly they represent the consumers to the publishers and congress)[/QUOTE]

I was one of the first people to post about the paid vs. free on their forums and the response I got was non-satisfactory. I rebutted the ECA person that replied, but nothing came of that so I stopped checking the forums.

The bottom line is, they'll draw any analogy or come up with any justification for the GI code, so there's no use talking to them about it, and really no use opening that can of worms here again. The damage has been done, membership is free, and at this point all we can hope for is that Amazon doesn't pull out of the ECA deal completely and re-instates the 10% off codes after this B2G1 sale ends.

I said this in the old topic and I'll say it again, what you gave them money for in their eyes was support of their cause. If you see it any other way, it's your own fault.

[quote name='Hostile']I said this in the old topic and I'll say it again, what you gave them money for in their eyes was support of their cause. If you see it any other way, it's your own fault.[/QUOTE]

This is true, yet the advertised benefits, seem to constantly be "down"

[quote name='soliddragon']This is true, yet the advertised benefits, seem to constantly be "down"[/QUOTE]

Are they constantly down? Really? Every single time they went "down"(not DOWN, out of codes, provided by amazon, which eca doesn't control) it was back quicker the next time until this latest incident. It's only taken longer this time for obvious reasons, fixing.

Frankly, they won't be in this shit IF they didn't advertise the amazon benefits as one of their "core benefits". I quote their membership page. "If you buy 3+ games per year, this benefit alone rationalizes your membership dues."

So basically, while they state that their organization does this and this for gamers, they go "hey if you don't care jack about what we do, at least you'll get something so give us your money". And they seriously expect members to not expect this benefit to be around.

On top of that, I'm fairly peeved about the admins on the forums. I would really like it if they treated the concerns of their membership a bit more seriously.

You do realize that it says 3+ games a year. That means they have about 50 more weeks to fix this problem before you can really have a valid argument. Just because. There has been (and will be) plenty of opportunity to get the 10% off. You're just sore because it would benefit you most right now during the the B2G1 deal. Having the 10% off available during that sale isn't what's advertised as rationalizing your membership... Just be patient

[quote name='dannyc']Frankly, they won't be in this shit IF they didn't advertise the amazon benefits as one of their "core benefits". I quote their membership page. "If you buy 3+ games per year, this benefit alone rationalizes your membership dues."

So basically, while they state that their organization does this and this for gamers, they go "hey if you don't care jack about what we do, at least you'll get something so give us your money". And they seriously expect members to not expect this benefit to be around.

On top of that, I'm fairly peeved about the admins on the forums. I would really like it if they treated the concerns of their membership a bit more seriously.[/QUOTE]

I doubt one person in this entire forum is signing up, or even PAID to be part of the ECA without the AMAZON deal.

This alone is the crutch they are sitting on. We'll drop if Amazon goes.

Most of us here are waiting.... the rest of you, the ones complaining should just stfu, there's absolutely nothing you can do beside waste forum space with your drivel and making us ignore you.

Watching you rage made the thread entirely worthwhile.

[quote name='Caddywompus21']EDIT: Did anyone see that Amazon launched same day shipping in select cities...

http://tech.yahoo.com/news/nm/20091015/wr_nm/us_amazon_2[/QUOTE]

I wonder if that's going to be done through "A1 International". They're apparently some kind of courier service that Amazon's been using. I'd never heard of them before Amazon shipped a package to me through them once back in June, and that time I received the package in under two hours after they shipped it (the tracking info was amazing, it literally said "shipped at 12:47, delivered at 2:36"). And I'd used the free shipping option, too. I was really impressed with them from that, and hoped they'd do it more. That was the only time Amazon used them with one of my orders, though -- every time since it's been either USPS or UPS. Since then, though, I've read tons of horror stories about them on the Amazon forums, from other people who have had absolutely awful experiences with them. So now I'm torn on how I feel.

Then again, I'm getting pretty pissed with USPS at this point. Amazon shipped me Uncharted 2 and Brutal Legend from a shipping center that I literally could have driven to during my lunch break (seriously, it's less than ten miles from my office), and it took USPS four days to get them here. Utterly ridiculous.

FYI, as soon as the ECA codes are back I'm going to post a new thread about it if no one else has. If you see it first, you should post a new thread about it. Don't post here - this thread has become a cry-fest, and all most of of us care about is to get notification of when the codes are back. So be on the lookout for the codes to return, and post a new thread about it if no one else has yet. I don't care if we end up with 10 threads about it - under the circumstances, that's a price to be paid and I'm fine with it. That way we can leave this now annoying thread be until after that time, and the cryers can cry and cry to each other in their own little world.

[quote name='crunchewy']FYI, as soon as the ECA codes are back I'm going to post a new thread about it if no one else has. If you see it first, you should post a new thread about it. Don't post here - this thread has become a cry-fest, and all most of of us care about is to get notification of when the codes are back. So be on the lookout for the codes to return, and post a new thread about it if no one else has yet. I don't care if we end up with 10 threads about it - under the circumstances, that's a price to be paid and I'm fine with it. That way we can leave this now annoying thread be until after that time, and the cryers can cry and cry to each other in their own little world.[/QUOTE]
Have fun with that locked thread.

[quote name='crunchewy']FYI, as soon as the ECA codes are back I'm going to post a new thread about it if no one else has. If you see it first, you should post a new thread about it. Don't post here - this thread has become a cry-fest, and all most of of us care about is to get notification of when the codes are back. So be on the lookout for the codes to return, and post a new thread about it if no one else has yet. I don't care if we end up with 10 threads about it - under the circumstances, that's a price to be paid and I'm fine with it. That way we can leave this now annoying thread be until after that time, and the cryers can cry and cry to each other in their own little world.[/QUOTE]

And then the babies will just cry in that thread. And the thread after that. When the codes come back, the crying will subside, because there won't be anything to cry about. It's a lot like the GS ad threads. When there is a bad coupon, you get a bunch of whining. Then, when there is a good one, everyone has an orgasm over it.

The idea is not to start a new thread for good, only to post a notification that the codes are back, which is what people want to know right now. Most people. Others want a shoulder.

Would you like some french cries to go with that wahhhhhhamburger? :cry:

Ugh, I've been waiting so long for these codes to come back so I can finally order Demon's Souls and a few other games. Hopefully they get the code generator working before they sell out. :cry:

ECA needs to branch out with these benefits. They should probably try to land a better deal with Buy.com, Newegg, and a few other places, we all see what happens when you put all of your eggs into one basket.

Well all I know is that if it hadn't been for these codes, I never would have ordered video games from Amazon. And now I realize that it's a great place to get games from. They're generally a few dollars cheaper than local stores (Best Buy, Gamestop etc.) and I don't have to pay tax or shipping if I'm willing to wait for the game. Then factor in the discounts from ECA and the Quick pick thingie and a new game becomes much more affordable. Even if I can't stack codes it's still a lot cheaper than the competition.

So far I've ordered 4 games from them and I know I'll be doing at least one more before the end of the year.

[quote name='Angelwatch']Well all I know is that if it hadn't been for these codes, I never would have ordered video games from Amazon. And now I realize that it's a great place to get games from. They're generally a few dollars cheaper than local stores (Best Buy, Gamestop etc.) and I don't have to pay tax or shipping if I'm willing to wait for the game. Then factor in the discounts from ECA and the Quick pick thingie and a new game becomes much more affordable. Even if I can't stack codes it's still a lot cheaper than the competition.

So far I've ordered 4 games from them and I know I'll be doing at least one more before the end of the year.[/QUOTE]

I take it you have never seen what Amazon can do on Black Friday? You are in for a treat :bouncy:

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back