- - - - -

Official 2010 Yard Sale Thread

#31 allyourblood   America's youth sucks. CAGiversary!   3152 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

allyourblood

Posted 16 January 2010 - 08:05 AM

And yeah, that is a Winnie the Pooh pillow. :D

If it's the one I'm thinking of, I had that very same pillow years ago, but retired it after I got a Transformers bed set.

#32 allyourblood   America's youth sucks. CAGiversary!   3152 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

allyourblood

Posted 16 January 2010 - 08:06 AM

I just wish I could find someone who would be a navigator for yard sales. I hate having to navigate and drive at the same time.

That does suck. My friend and I are able to cover both bases, but I could see how going it solo would be a pain, especially when it comes to making quick or last-minute driving maneuvers (any hardcore yard salers know what I'm talkinga bout; gotta be ready to turn on a dime!).

Doesn't your lil bro come with you now and then?

#33 phoenix529   ...for Science. CAGiversary!   1648 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

Posted 16 January 2010 - 09:57 AM

I became really skilled at those exact driving maneuvers you're talking about, ayb. Even with GPS on my phone now, it becomes pretty difficult to find places.

But I spent all last semester telling my gaming buddy about finds, etc, and it looks like he'll be joining me this year! My wife refuses to go, so I'm so excited to have someone to talk and joke with on those long Saturdays, not to mention someone who knows how to work his iPhone's GPS.

#34 dodgeme   Shadow the Hedgehog CAGiversary!   2736 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Posted 16 January 2010 - 05:47 PM

I go with my grandparents while they still enjoy going to yard sales to find antiques. On a good day we will hit 20 or so sales. Eventually I may go off on my own and try to get like 40+ in but for now I don't need to.

#35 Kuros   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1473 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 16 January 2010 - 06:30 PM

That does suck. My friend and I are able to cover both bases, but I could see how going it solo would be a pain, especially when it comes to making quick or last-minute driving maneuvers (any hardcore yard salers know what I'm talkinga bout; gotta be ready to turn on a dime!).

Doesn't your lil bro come with you now and then?

Rarely, he normally has bowling on Sat. mornings.

#36 dodgeme   Shadow the Hedgehog CAGiversary!   2736 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Posted 16 January 2010 - 09:05 PM

I ended up going to a small flea market near by today. Just one of those local church sales really. Ended up with no gaming stuff but I did get a movie.

Employee of the Month (DVD) - $2.00
Adobe Photoshop 5.0 - $.25

Didn't really need either thing but I hate not getting stuff at sales throughout winter.

#37 SaraAB   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5454 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 16 January 2010 - 09:46 PM

Yeah I still go with my grandmother and my mother and usually I am the navigator, they like going and they pick up the slack for what I might miss since my mom knows me so well. We can also pick out clothing for each other since we know what each other likes. This also saves time when there is a lot of stuff to go through, if you have 2 people it goes a lot faster if you go through clothing piles together.

#38 Kuros   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1473 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 05:16 AM

Finds for last week:

Dot Hack part 1 and 3 - $8

Posted Image

iMac - Free (Story below)

I'm one of the IT guys at work and this showed up in our area. It was on my co-workers desk and I asked what was up with it? He states, "This was from Dann, he said it's functional however there's a huge line in the screen and he couldn't get it repaired. He said whoever fixes it can have it."

So I respond, "Sounds good, can I have a crack at it?" "Sure, be my guest."

So I take the machine and I take a look at it. It has a huge 1.5 inch white line in the screen. So I do some research and find out that it's a factory defect in this particular model. I figured I'd take it into the local Apple store and test my luck.

I walk in with the machine set it down and ask if anything could be done, the guy was quite nice and helped me even though I didn't have an appointment (I didn't know I needed one). He said that since it was a factory defect, they would replace the LCD and fix the problem for free.

All I need to do now is upgrade the RAM a bit and upgrade to Snow Leopard and I'm set.

Current specs: 1.83 Intel Core Duo and 512 megs of ram. 17" model.

Posted Image

#39 erehwon   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3120 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 05:37 AM

Finds for last week:

Dot Hack part 1 and 3 - $8

Posted Image

iMac - Free (Story below)

I'm one of the IT guys at work and this showed up in our area. It was on my co-workers desk and I asked what was up with it? He states, "This was from Dann, he said it's functional however there's a huge line in the screen and he couldn't get it repaired. He said whoever fixes it can have it."

So I respond, "Sounds good, can I have a crack at it?" "Sure, be my guest."

So I take the machine and I take a look at it. It has a huge 1.5 inch white line in the screen. So I do some research and find out that it's a factory defect in this particular model. I figured I'd take it into the local Apple store and test my luck.

I walk in with the machine set it down and ask if anything could be done, the guy was quite nice and helped me even though I didn't have an appointment (I didn't know I needed one). He said that since it was a factory defect, they would replace the LCD and fix the problem for free.

All I need to do now is upgrade the RAM a bit and upgrade to Snow Leopard and I'm set.

Current specs: 1.83 Intel Core Duo and 512 megs of ram. 17" model.

Posted Image

A free iMac is an very good deal. I'm not really a Mac fan, but you can't argue with free.

#40 MikeJett86   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   6 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

MikeJett86

Posted 17 January 2010 - 07:06 AM

this may be a stupid question, but how do y'all find these yard sales?

#41 allyourblood   America's youth sucks. CAGiversary!   3152 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

allyourblood

Posted 17 January 2010 - 10:35 AM

Don't think I'll make it out today (Sunday), so here's what I found yesterday (Saturday). It was a great day!

Posted Image
GBA Donkey Kong Country strategy guide
GBC Pokemon Crystal Version strategy guide
Nintendo Power 178
GBA Pokemon Fire Red Version
GB Balloon Kid w/case, $5.50 for all

Posted Image
DVD Nine Inch Nails: And All that Could Have Been (2-disc set)
DVD The Little Mermaid Platinum Edition (ws)
DVD Lilo & Stitch (ws, new & sealed), $5 for all

Posted Image
PS2 Raiden III (complete), $3
XBOX Star Wars Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy (missing game disc but with 2 month Live card), FREE

Posted Image
DC Crazy Taxi 2 (complete), $2

Posted Image
NES control pad
Alesis footswitch, $3 for both

Posted Image
Sega CD Microcosm (manual missing inside pages)
GBA Defender
GBA Street Fighter 3 Alpha
GBA Metroid Fusion, $6 for all

Posted Image
360 chatpad, $5

Posted Image
Nintendo Wii console with vertical stand (no cables but tested and working)
Wii Sports, $40 for both

Posted Image
Nintendo 64 console w/controller, AV cables and power cord
N64 Mario Party 3
N64 Star Wars Episode I: Battle for Naboo
N64 Star Wars Episode I: Racer
N64 Star Wars: Shadows of the Empire
N64 Star Wars: Rogue Squadron, $8 for all

Find of the day goes to the Wii. While I've seen them at yard sales before, today marks the first one I've seen at such an amazing price. Forty bucks, but the guy selling assured me it worked. He wanted $45 originally, and wouldn't go any lower than 40. I didn't know it had a game inside until I got home. I also wasn't expecting it to work, but after borrowing the AV and power cables from my "first" Wii, it fired right up. The drive is a little noisy, but games play fine. I just need to buy a second set of cables for it and I'm set.

I've never once seen the Grape N64 in the wild before, and this one is in absolutely beautiful condition. The joystick is perfect and snappy and still zeroes out nicely. I don't have that many color variants right now, so this was one of my favorite finds; the games are almost all dupes, but a nice little bonus, for the price.

Pokemon Fire Red was another first for me; my first GBA Pokemon title (I have almost every GB/GBC/DS title, but for some weird reason, no GBA).

Bummed that I probably won't go saling today, but I found enough to make up for it.

#42 mistymayem   I like video games. CAGiversary!   928 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 02:54 PM

One more question for you garage saling experts. How do you find out about the garage sales? This early in the year there is nothing in my city's papers and there is like 1 sale a week on craigslist.

Edit: ha i just noticed someone else asked the same question.

#43 donut   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3918 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 04:46 PM

One more question for you garage saling experts. How do you find out about the garage sales? This early in the year there is nothing in my city's papers and there is like 1 sale a week on craigslist.

Edit: ha i just noticed someone else asked the same question.

Ok, op if you are going to keep the thread this year.
Fix the links (wiki) or just paste the basic info ... basic questions like this will be answered and stop.

#44 mistymayem   I like video games. CAGiversary!   928 Posts   Joined 9.7 Years Ago  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 04:52 PM

Fix the links (wiki) or just paste the basic info ... basic questions like this will be answered and stop.

Sorry :cry:

#45 dodgeme   Shadow the Hedgehog CAGiversary!   2736 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 04:57 PM

What's wrong with the wiki? Everything appears to be working fine in it.

#46 darkslime   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2067 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 05:14 PM

To find yard sales I just go to a certain area that always has a lot of them. I don't even bother with cl or the newpaper classified or anything.

#47 MikeJett86   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   6 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

MikeJett86

Posted 17 January 2010 - 07:25 PM

What's wrong with the wiki? Everything appears to be working fine in it.

I clicked on the links at the top of the thread and it just directed me to the main CAG page .... sorry for asking a question that has a resource to answer it ... anyone have a link that works?

thanks!

#48 dodgeme   Shadow the Hedgehog CAGiversary!   2736 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 07:29 PM

I clicked on the links at the top of the thread and it just directed me to the main CAG page .... sorry for asking a question that has a resource to answer it ... anyone have a link that works?

thanks!

Wow that is really weird, as the link directs me right to the wiki thread I am talking about.

#49 allyourblood   America's youth sucks. CAGiversary!   3152 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

allyourblood

Posted 17 January 2010 - 07:35 PM

thanks!

Link works fine for me. Try right clicking it, then copy and paste into your browser's address bar.

#50 MikeJett86   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   6 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

MikeJett86

Posted 17 January 2010 - 10:20 PM

this is 'effing weird ... I've tried firefox, Safari, Safari Running as IE 6 ..... all go right back to the CAG homepage, yes the address shows up as "http://wiki.cheapassgamer.com/index.php/Yard_sale_guide" .... i'll try on my netbook later ... maybe for some reason it's a mac thing ....

edit: Okay, got to it through Google Cache, I'll stop bugging everyone now. :)

thanks!

#51 dodgeme   Shadow the Hedgehog CAGiversary!   2736 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Posted 17 January 2010 - 10:28 PM

That's really weird considering when I go to that link it takes me right to the wiki.

#52 Kuros   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1473 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 18 January 2010 - 12:44 AM

1.5tb Samsung HDD - $30
WoW Burning Crusade and Lich King collectors editions - $10
Netgear 48 port FS750T2 switch, Netblocker, backpack, 2 ethernet blocks, MS Wireless Optical Keyboard & Mouse - $30
Super Monkey Ball 2 - $5
Japanese NGPC game in Neo Cherry Master box - $5
Star Fox 64 and converter - $2
SSB, Tiggers Honey Hunt, Waverace 64 - $6
2 Intermec 9445 barcode scanners - $10
Virtual Fighter 3tb - $5

Posted Image

#53 chronoserge456   gimme gimme gimme games after midnight CAGiversary!   372 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

chronoserge456

Posted 18 January 2010 - 08:35 PM

Picked up a Neo Geo Pocket Color that came with Bust a Move for 80 cents. Unfortunately, it's not powering on...changed new batteries and the internal battery. Is it just dead?

#54 SlammedNiss   Mine hits the ground! CAGiversary!   1140 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

SlammedNiss

Posted 18 January 2010 - 11:07 PM

No they won't. There will be several more people who won't take the time to read the OP.

#55 allyourblood   America's youth sucks. CAGiversary!   3152 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

allyourblood

Posted 18 January 2010 - 11:46 PM

Picked up a Neo Geo Pocket Color that came with Bust a Move for 80 cents. Unfortunately, it's not powering on...changed new batteries and the internal battery. Is it just dead?

Sounds like it to me. I have one that's the same way. Should you decide to part with it, send me a PM. I'd like to buy it for parts and see if I can cobble the two together into one working unit.

#56 allyourblood   America's youth sucks. CAGiversary!   3152 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

allyourblood

Posted 20 January 2010 - 03:51 AM

The Wii I just bought was making a little noise and that had me concerned. I grabbed my philips and tri-wing and went to work. Guess what I found...

Posted Image

No more odd noises, and she still runs great. So...

Posted Image
Nintendo Wii console with vertical stand (no cables but tested and working)
Wii Sports, $39.25 for both

Yard sale Bing Cashback!!!

#57 Neuropod   Such a lust for revenge! WHOOOOOOOOOOOOO?! CAGiversary!   2363 Posts   Joined 12.8 Years Ago  

Posted 20 January 2010 - 06:03 AM

Oh god that's hilarious.

#58 dragonpancake   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   4 Posts   Joined 9.2 Years Ago  

dragonpancake

Posted 20 January 2010 - 06:59 AM

I've never had an overly amazing deal like most of you but occasionally I find a few things. I am very excited this year.... though I hope the sales don't sale their used games more than the stores sell it for new:bomb:.

#59 Ye0ldmario   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1778 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Ye0ldmario

Posted 20 January 2010 - 06:05 PM

I just laugh a bit and walk away when they are overpriced and won't budge.

#60 darkslime   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2067 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago  

Posted 21 January 2010 - 03:22 AM

I just laugh a bit and walk away when they are overpriced and won't budge.

Thank you for letting us know.