- - - - -

Official 2010 Yard Sale Thread

#661 Purkeynator   Cheap before it was cool CAGiversary!   3239 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Purkeynator

Posted 11 June 2010 - 07:08 PM

Had a pretty good yard sale run last Friday. I snagged a working Colecovision with both controllers and the cables plus some complete boxed games. The games were Cabbage Patch kids, Slurpy, a couple Smurfs games, Donkey Kong, Dr Seus, and Burger Time. The price? $5.

#662 darkslime   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2067 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Posted 11 June 2010 - 07:13 PM

karkyco - Yeah, I think I'm going to take the PS1s off amazon and just dump em at the swap meet, or try to at least. I just don't want to waste my whole saturday and night sitting in 100+ degree heat. Even though no one is there all day you have to be because all the spots get taken around 8 AM. :X

Schultzed - Definitely. I'm going to make bank on this lot, but it is a high investment. I've never spent $350 on video games at once, to sell or keep before. I've already made $92 back on eBay last night, not including shipping costs which I make a couple bucks off of.

#663 staindklown   I Like Pie! CAGiversary!   156 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

staindklown

Posted 11 June 2010 - 08:16 PM

Man, I loved Life Force when I was a kid. Nice finds.

I loved it too, I remember renting it all the time from the video store.

Ok, I'm curious. Metal or plastic?

I only ever see the plastic ones, and they're usually broken.

It was metal, that's all my dad says he sees too is the plastic ones.

Nice NES lot staindklown. Those star wars look like originals!

Yeah they are all original 1980-1982 Kenner. I couldn't believe when I was going through a $0.10 box and I found them. They look nice next to my other figures.

#664 dodgeme   Shadow the Hedgehog CAGiversary!   2736 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 11 June 2010 - 11:43 PM

I've had a poor year so far. All I have found in the past two weeks are.

Wii Sports - $.25 (really scratched though)
Spore (PC) - $.25
Sega Genesis - $1.00

#665 schultzed   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4932 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 11 June 2010 - 11:55 PM

Yeah they are all original 1980-1982 Kenner. I couldn't believe when I was going through a $0.10 box and I found them. They look nice next to my other figures.

For X-mas 1977 my mom got me the "empty box" certificate and my first four figures came in the mail later . . . too bad I don't have it today.

I guess they did a replica . . .

http://www.hasbro.co...4AB9087E511F3E9

#666 schultzed   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4932 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 11 June 2010 - 11:57 PM

karkyco - Yeah, I think I'm going to take the PS1s off amazon and just dump em at the swap meet, or try to at least. I just don't want to waste my whole saturday and night sitting in 100+ degree heat. Even though no one is there all day you have to be because all the spots get taken around 8 AM. :X

You should give them away as a promotion . . . buy x number of games or spend x dollars and get a free PS1!

#667 FOnewearl   Whooooooooa Bundy! CAGiversary!   1749 Posts   Joined 15.2 Years Ago  

Posted 12 June 2010 - 12:13 AM

Posted Image

Final Fantasy VII (GH, No Manual) - $3 (IAP)

NES With Hookups, 2x 1st Party Controllers, Zapper & 6 Games

Captain Comic
Kung Fu
Little Nemo The Dream Master
Lone Ranger, The
Super Mario Bros. 3
Tecmo Super Bowl (Complete With An Extra Manual)

$30

The NES stuff was marked $35, I offered $15 only to be told that $30 was the lowest they would take. This sale was rather early on my route and I left and actually decided to grab it on my way home since I didn't find much.

Non Find BS -
Spoiler

#668 Porpoise King   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   80 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Porpoise King

Posted 12 June 2010 - 05:29 PM

Today sucked pretty bad. I hit about 20-30 sales and saw absolutely nothing, except Dora the Explorer for GBA and a couple 3rd party PS2/Xbox controllers for $1 each.

I was with my dad, and we couldn't stay much longer because he had a business meeting at 10:30. It was about 10:15 and we still hadn't had any luck. We saw one more sale on the way home and decided to stop by. It was a pretty small sale with mostly bird/dog cages, there was only 2 tables of stuff. We almost didn't even get out of the car, but I figured what the hell. On the table I saw:

SNES with all hookups, 2 controllers
Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 2 (some label damage)
Super Mario World
Super Mario All-Stars

All in a bucket marked $10. Score! I said, "Oh wow, you have a Super Nintendo" and the seller said "Yep, and it's gotta go". At that point he basically gave it away that he would take less so I offered $5 for everything and he accepted :D

Just keep that in mind when you see junk sales you want to pass up.

Oh, and by the way. On the Super Mario World the green text on the label is centered, and not aligned left like the other 2 copies I have. Anyone know the difference between the two? Is one more rare, etc?..

Thanks

#669 Segasonic01   Sonic Collector CAGiversary!   1946 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Segasonic01

Posted 12 June 2010 - 05:32 PM

^ I believe one was a pack-in cart for the SNES

#670 Neuropod   Such a lust for revenge! WHOOOOOOOOOOOOO?! CAGiversary!   2363 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Posted 12 June 2010 - 06:37 PM

Posted Image
PS1 games - $5 total
Resident Evil: Director's Cut (GH)
Silent Hill (GH)
Star Wars: Dark Forces (GH)
Grand Theft Auto 2 (GH)
Crash Bandicoot (GH)
Duke Nukem: Total Meltdown
This guy had a PsOne but it was marked $40. Bizarrely, when I asked how much for the games it was just $1 each. Settled on $5 for 6.

Posted Image
:ds: Animal Crossing: Wild World - $5
The rest was $10:
Pokemon Gold Version CIB
Pokemon Red Version CIB
Advance Wars (empty box)
:xbox: Conker: Live & Reloaded CIB
N64 - Conker's Bad Fur Day (no manual, shitty box)

This guy had a lot of stuff including a decent selection of Xbox games and a CIB Xbox system, lots of cart+manual GB games, and a Game Gear. I cherry picked the best stuff, but if I had more cash I would've probably made an offer on everything.

Posted Image
PSOne system w/ hookups - $10
I've been wanting one of these. It works fine. IAP was $25.

Pretty good haul considering I can upgrade my GB Pokemon games to CIB and sell the extras.

#671 Shazyzang   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   139 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Shazyzang

Posted 12 June 2010 - 06:48 PM

I got some good stuff today. I went to the sales with my neighbours, who go to a much different area than I do.

Shrek 2 Xbox (complete)
Sneak King Xbox (complete)
NHL 2K7 Xbox (complete)
$1 total
They had Burnout Revenge, which I wanted, but there was no game in the case. A kid at the sale went inside to look and brought out NHL 2K7. They originally wanted $2 for all those games.

Pitfall handheld electronic game
10 cents.

Here's my big (kinda) find:

Black Gamecube
GCN power cable
Nintendo AV cables
2 GCN controllers (purpley-blue and black)
GCN memory card
Resident Evil 4 GCN (discs and manual only)
Mario Kart Double Dash GCN (2 discs, 1 case, 1 manual. Both are the game disc, not the bonus)
Medal of Honor European Assault GCN (complete)
Scooby-Doo Unmasked GCN (disc only)
Mario Party 7 GCN (disc only)
007 Nightfire (disc only)
Winnie the Pooh Rumbly Tumbly Adventure (complete)
GCN microphone
Green Game Boy Color
Super Mario Bros Deluxe (game only)
Random OXM bonus disc
NBA Live 07 360 (complete)
Call of Duty 4 Modern Warfare 360 (complete)
$10 total
My neighbours drove by this sae, but I noticed a bunch of DVD cases so I told them to sop. The sellers wanted $10 just for the Gamecube stuff, but I offered $10 with the other stuff. It was all horribly dirty. I'm surprised it works. I mostly wanted RE4, which is what caught my eye. I plan on selling Call of Duty 4, since I already have it.

Jeanne Dárc PSP (case and manual)
Free.
This was the only game at the sale. I opened it up and there was no game. If it had the game, it would have been 25 cents. Darn.

#672 Chronis   Enjoys mediocre games that you hate CAGiversary!   3087 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 12 June 2010 - 06:54 PM

Oh, and by the way. On the Super Mario World the green text on the label is centered, and not aligned left like the other 2 copies I have. Anyone know the difference between the two? Is one more rare, etc?..

http://www.digitpres...ead.php?t=89992

#673 Shoagie   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   509 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 12 June 2010 - 07:26 PM

2 community sales today but it started pouring about 30 sales in for me and I was walking with a backpack. Lots of sports games and a couple of overpriced PS2 bundles with people who liked the word ebay and hated the word haggling.

I did find a guy with a box of 28 cart only atari games and wanted 2 dollars a piece. I found a copy of Marauders with manual for Atari 2600 so I guess today wasnt a complete bust.

#674 Porpoise King   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   80 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Porpoise King

Posted 12 June 2010 - 08:44 PM

http://www.digitpres...ead.php?t=89992

Thanks tons!

#675 TiKi2   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1034 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

Posted 12 June 2010 - 08:49 PM

Thanks tons!

Porpoise in what part of florida are you at?

#676 schultzed   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4932 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 12 June 2010 - 09:17 PM

Gonna take me awhile to put together my finds . . . so-so for games. Pretty good outings for other media.

Two notes: for those discouraged by the lack of games or poor quality of games--you might just be beaten out by others. I suspect that those who are doing best might not have that much competition.

I overheard sellers at one sale commenting (big subdivision sale) on how a Sega had sold a little while earlier . . . this was early in the day. I'm pretty sure I have stiff competition . . . any good stuff just ahead of me was probably sucked up.

Another gripe I want to air. I was at one sale (later on Sat.) and saw a PS2 (fat but with a network adapter). It was marked $20 so I offered $10. We agree on $10 but the guy (maybe 20) says he needs to run home (he's at someone else's house) to get the hookups--15 min wait. At this point, I should have CIFed . . . I have extra hookups (I'm pretty sure). But then again, I can hit a few more sales on the block (in fact, I scored some good media at one). He takes an overly long time and when I see him 25 mins. later he says "I can't sell it for $10--I looked it up on ebay. I'll take $20." What a crappy thing to do. At his point, I just leave figuring the karma is so messed up that I'd probably get home and it wouldn't work anyway.

#677 elessar123  

Posted 12 June 2010 - 09:37 PM

Found an Atari with 18 games for $10. Not sure what to do with it, because I don't really actually care for anything before NES, and my GF anything before SNES.

Posted Image
Posted Image

Bought Lost S1 in very minty condition for $5. Didn't haggle, and not sure why.
Posted Image

Found a variety of other stuff.
Candy Factory - $3 (like new, GF wanted it, cause it looked like Cake Mania)
Bug's Life 2-Disc collector's - $2 (I don't think I've ever seen it)
Titanic game - $1 (GF wanted it)
Overclocked - $1 (Looked interesting)
Post Mortem - $1 (GF wanted it)
The Longest Journey - $1 (GF wanted it)
Pokemon Diamond - $5
2 tins of Yugioh cards for $4 (I really shouldn't have bought these)

Posted Image

Posted Image
$1 on each of the two ZipZaps
$6 for the Burger King Pokemon collectibles, the 23K gold plated ones, and the 3 worthless holos

Finally, we also went to a Korean church rummage sale with the promise of food being sold there. Spend $10 on a bag of very random stuff.
Posted Image

Chip & Dale for NES
Tony Hawk Pro Skater (N64)
1080 (N64)
Diddy King Racing (N64)
Vegas Games (GBC)
Tetris (GB)
........two remotes...
....2 decks of mini dave & buster cards (and 2 empty cases as well)
.............2 watch straps!?
......some cables
...ATI Radeon X300 SE
.........cable splitter
...some plastic thing with a Nick chick on there (no idea what it is, and it's going in the bin anyways)
.........some screws and other hardware
......75 ohm coaxial cable connectors
....USB to PS/2 converter
..a little lightbulb
...........Verizon EVDO Express PC card.............

At least the games in the lot are worth $10.

#678 dodgeme   Shadow the Hedgehog CAGiversary!   2736 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 13 June 2010 - 12:37 AM

Id love to find an atari like that. Wanna trade it lol.

#679 enemyofusall   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1390 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

enemyofusall

Posted 13 June 2010 - 12:46 AM

WOW my first find, was in my own garage! I went out at 8am scowering for gear. The only thing I found was a $50 Gameboy, wasn't happening. So my stepdad says he has some stuff and I found a Mint (but dirty) Nintendo, and about 10 or so games. I was so stoked. :) I will post pics once I clean it up a bit. Some games include; Metroid, Wayne Gretzkys Hockey, Adventure Island.

#680 caedeskhan   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   878 Posts   Joined 13.4 Years Ago  

Posted 13 June 2010 - 01:08 AM

Not much today:

A 40 GB PS3 + controller, cables, and manuals that doesn't read discs - $50 (just going to dump on ebay for $100, unless it doesn't cost too much to fix)

Ico (Complete) - $2

Tetris 2, Pokemon Blue, Mario Golf, Donkey Kong 2, Super Mario 2 NES (all with manuals) - $10

#681 DLsemen   CAG Veteran CAG Veteran   25 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

Posted 13 June 2010 - 03:06 AM

It downpoured all day today in Upstate NY, so we barely got in 15 minutes at a community garage sale. Did manage to pick up:

PS1 NFL BLITZ
PS1 Austin Powers Pinball
PS2 NAKI Spider-Man controller
Best of Mickey Mouse VHS
and some books and other random stuff, all in all it cost $5, and it went to the Boy Scouts so i was happy.

#682 schultzed   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4932 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 13 June 2010 - 03:35 PM

DLsemen I feel your pain we (I'm in south Wisconsin) and slowdive (north Illinois) had that rain on Friday. Lately it seems to be nice mid-week and then crappy on the weekend.

I did manage to get a few deals in the 5 sales I hit before the rain came.

#683 schultzed   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4932 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 13 June 2010 - 04:16 PM

This is mostly my gaming finds . . . I probably bought over 100 items this week total (including a NIB MS wirelesss keyboard and mouse for $6) mostly books, DVDs, and CDs.

I got these because I was bored . . . Sat. morning started pretty slow

Posted Image

Did 2 for $1.00

I tend to do a lot of combo deals . . . pick out a number of items and pitch below the IAP.

Posted Image

$14 worth for $10. I think I will flip my 360 copy of GTAIV and keep this PS3 one.

I thought he wanted $10 each for these . . . so I worked him down to $5

Posted Image

but as turned to leave the guy reminds me to take the other set :-)

Just before I got screwed by the shit selling a PS2 (a couple posts above) I found this baby:

Posted Image

It was marked $10, so I pitched $5 (nice looking set with Wavebird and memory card) the woman winced saying she had already marked it down from $20 but she accepted.

Random finds from 3 sales:

Posted Image

I think I paid $5 for SW Battle (CIB), $7 for COD (CIB), and $3 for SW RC (no manual).

Farce of the week, saw an original Xbox for $75 (you got to pick a game).

Tragedy of the week, I've been longing for an old-school PS1 RPG find and almost crapped when I found this . . .

Posted Image

Vanguard Bandits (messed up case) with art, manual and . . . only one disc . . . DOH! Still, I got it for $1.

Find of the week, not technically a rummage find but I was saleling when I made my last stop at Salvation Army and found this for $6:

Posted Image

I haven't tested it yet (but it looks great). I got one at a rummage sale last year and sold it for $60 in late November.

See here:
http://www.cheapassg...09 Yard&page=83
post #1649

#684 slowdive21   CAG Elder CAGiversary!   12577 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

slowdive21

Posted 13 June 2010 - 04:59 PM

Nice finds Schultzed, especially with the storms!

Only one gaming related thing this week :(

Posted Image Posted Image

Paid $8 for the box with a 4 foot wood CD/DVD/VHS rack. I also got a Gameboy advance SP case.

Posted Image

Paid $5 for this box o stuff at another sale. The saving Private Ryan and Van Damme are still sealed.

These were my "good finds"

I saw these for $1 each at a sale (I was there before they opened). I asked if she had anymore and it turns out she has a lot of unopened product, since her husband is an ex ebay seller. I looked him up and he does pretty well with most of his stuff. She told me he is stopping because of his new job and that he may want to get rid of all of it.

I asked how many more of these she had and she said about 5 cases total at home. I told her I would take all of them if she would accept $0.50 each figure. She said "My husband may be mad I took 50 cents, but at least we will have some more space". We then exchanged numbers and she said her husband will call me in a couple of weeks when he gets back from work and we may work out a deal for the rest of his stuff. Most of his stuff is die-cast -that I really do not know a lot about- but I can see it sold regularly on his ebay id.

Posted Image Posted Image

Basically I got 30 figures for $15 and some other mixed die-cast stuff with it.

#685 schultzed   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4932 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 13 June 2010 - 06:36 PM

Posted Image

Paid $5 for this box o stuff at another sale. The saving Private Ryan and Van Damme are still sealed.

Is that a 3 disc set of Winsor Pilates? I can spot one of them at 20 feet :-) I collect those babies all year and sell them in early January. They will fetch a good $30--at least last year they did.

#686 slowdive21   CAG Elder CAGiversary!   12577 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

slowdive21

Posted 13 June 2010 - 07:07 PM

Is that a 3 disc set of Winsor Pilates? I can spot one of them at 20 feet :-) I collect those babies all year and sell them in early January. They will fetch a good $30--at least last year they did.

Yup! It is this one:

http://www.amazon.co...76455861&sr=8-1

I usually buy workout dvds if I see them...I guess I buy a lot of random stuff. :)

#687 schultzed   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4932 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 13 June 2010 - 08:43 PM

I usually buy workout dvds if I see them...I guess I buy a lot of random stuff. :)

If I were to list it right now, I'd put it in as $29.99. If the discs are in great shape, it might sell at anytime but at the least . . . you'd be maximizing the price for when women make their New Year's resolutions.

#688 elessar123  

Posted 13 June 2010 - 09:50 PM

Drove about 20 minutes away to an estate sale with video games and comic books. Paid $15 for Syndicate Plus (I used to love this game), Star Wars X-Wing Collector Series, Star Trek Voyager Elite Force (gf wanted this), Icewind Dale (thought it'd be worth more), and MechWarrior 4 (wasn't walking out of there without this one).

Posted Image

Since we were so far away, we decided to go to the swap meet there. Half the vendors were gone by 10AM, which was disappointing. Our normal swap meet place is usually as busy at 2PM. Found some stuff, but all were too expensive for me to bother. Did end up getting 7 guides for $10. Originally he offered $10 for 5 guides, and offered by himself that he'll give me 6 guides for $10. So I asked for 7 =P He had 9 total, the other two were Yugioh, so I passed.

Posted Image

Then as we left the swap meet, we saw a Goodwill that just opened on June 10th, so we figured, why not, we're this far from home anyways. Paid $4.99 each for FF8 and FF Anthology, and $3.99 for Breath of Fire IV. FF8 is missing disc 1, but has FF7 disc 1 in it's place. FF Anthology has no manual, but it came with Final Fantasy Tactics black label inside as well... Breath of Fire IV is missing the manual. All the discs are pretty close to scratch free.

Posted Image

Finally, we went to the Best Buy to look for pennied guides, and Sears to look for clearanced games. Found Imagine Family Doctor for $0.47, and Boy and his Blob for $4.97 (my second copy).

Posted Image

#689 darkslime   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2067 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

Posted 13 June 2010 - 11:37 PM

At the swap meet last night I got a booth, and sold about $300 worth of stuff. It was all crap that wasn't worth selling, like all of the PS1 games from the lot worth less than $5 were $3 each and I sold a bunch of those, plus some PS2 and Xbox games, PS1 systems for $10, and managed to sell the zappers for $10 each. It only cost me $15 for the spot, and copies of Star Wars Bounty Hunter, Pokemon Stadium 2 and valkryie chronicles I gave to my friend for helping me out.

I also bought some stuff:
Kirby Superstar SNES - $1
KOTOR and KOTOR II Xbox - $10

Traded $35 worth of my stuff for $20 cash and Vigilante 8, RE Director's Cut, and Contra Legacy of War to one of the game dealers there.

And I traded in more of the leftover PS1 games to Bookman's, the first one gave me $75 cash for some of it, mostly crap is left. Then I went to the other Bookman's and they gave $53 in credit for what was left. Using the credit + some other credit I already have I bought:

Star Wars KOTOR PH - $10
Star Wars KOTOR black label case w/ PH disc, no manual - $10
Conker Live & Reloaded - $10
Koudelka - $15
Inuyasha PS1 x2 - $5 ea
Final Fantasy Legend III CIB - $15
Lufia Ruins of Lore GBA cart only - $6

Also got these at a couple other stores:

EZ Pawn:
Pokemon Emerald cart only - $3
Sonic Battle cart only - $3
Shining Tears - $3.99
Jet Set Radio Future - $3.99

GoodWill:
N64 w/ controller, power cable, Mario Kart 64, Super Mario 64, World Driver Championship, Army Men Sarge's Heroes 2, WinBack, THPS - $34.99

I also sold 39 things on eBay in the past three days, not gonna have fun packing tomorrow. Maybe I'll buy myself an HDTV or something with all the money I've made this weekend.

Schultzed - Is it good to buy all workout DVDs, or just the specific set you pointed out?

#690 schultzed   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4932 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 14 June 2010 - 12:20 AM

Darkslime . . . nice playing of your find. I'm up to 270 in gross sales from my 90 vid purchase (4 tapes this week brought in 100).

Schultzed - Is it good to buy all workout DVDs, or just the specific set you pointed out?

The Winsor Pilates Basic 3 DVD set is a good buy. Also "Slim in Six" is worthwhile. Both of these have the oddity that they are widely available yet they are valuable. Those who workout are constantly looking for a new fix--this also means that the market is flooded with used videos.

Sets and kits are usually better buys . . . a system is more likely to be worth money than a single program. I'd snag P90X (saw one for $75 at sale--was hoping it would be much less) or Insanity if you could get them for $20 or less.

Sadly most workout videos and DVDs are worthless (like most videos and DVDs) but if you see sealed ones and can get them for $1 . . . you can likely make some money.

Edited by schultzed, 14 June 2010 - 03:30 PM.