Tonight Show Shakeup Leno Back In

wildcpac

Banned
Just read on TMZ that Jay Leno is going to take over The Tonight Show on February 1st following the Olympics. Conan is rumored to be moving back to the following time slot.

fuck that shit, I LOVE watching Conan at 11:30 when I'm going to bed. I've caught Jay at 10 and I just don't like him as much (at all)

^
ratings. leno got ratings. conan didn't. Its getting a little annoying with the amount of switching going on even though I don't watch either show.

Is anything on NBC actually getting ratings right now? Seem to recall Leno doing terrible at 10, only being kept because his show was cheaper to make than a drama or something, making it still profitable.

[quote name='naiku']^
ratings. leno got ratings. conan didn't. Its getting a little annoying with the amount of switching going on even though I don't watch either show.[/QUOTE]
Everyone I talk to, myself included, likes Conan better. Who is watching Leno?

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Everyone I talk to, myself included, likes Conan better. Who is watching Leno?[/QUOTE]

Must be those people who voted for Bush W. I don't know any of them either.

I don't see how they can just kick Conan out of the 11:30 spot. I'm sure he entered into a contract that guaranteed him that spot for a certain amount of time.

Put Leno at 12:30 and get rid of Jimmy Fallon. Now that show sucks.

[quote name='PenguinoMF']I don't see how they can just kick Conan out of the 11:30 spot. I'm sure he entered into a contract that guaranteed him that spot for a certain amount of time.

Put Leno at 12:30 and get rid of Jimmy Fallon. Now that show sucks.[/QUOTE]
They will buy conan out

[quote name='naiku']^
ratings. leno got ratings. conan didn't. Its getting a little annoying with the amount of switching going on even though I don't watch either show.[/QUOTE]

From what I have read leno is geting worse ratings than he got on the tonight show and that is why conan is doing bad. You put a show on that gets low ratings do you really expect people to watch the next show. That late I would go to sleep or do something else.

Didn't they want to replace conan on his own show when he first started? I read about a month or 2 ago that they wanted to replace conan on the tonight show due to the low ratings.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']fuck this shit. I hope NBC burns to the ground.[/QUOTE]

Whoa buddy. The Office, don't forget about that.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']Everyone I talk to, myself included, likes Conan better. Who is watching Leno?[/QUOTE]He appeals to an older demographic. Then again, I'm 43 and I can't remember a single time he ever made me laugh. Maybe he appeals to a much older demographic. Or he made a deal with Satan.

Yeah Conan appeals to a younger demographic, a LOT of high school/college age kids. Leno appeals to that older crowd. I find both of them funny, but for some reason I enjoy Conan's brand of humor a lot more. Dunno why.

Leno is Mr. Middle America. Easy jokes, easy laughs. Seeing him interview dumbasses on the street, reading out typo headlines etc = comfort food for the brain.

Conan is much more of a niche performer whom a lot of people just don't "get". He really changed his act for the tonight show to try and be more mainstream, but I think it just hasn't worked.

do either of those fools actually make people laugh? like audible "ha ha" laugh?

as far as talk show hosts go sure they're ace, but i didn't think anybody actually laughed at the things they said. if you wanna laugh watch its always sunny, arrested dev, the office, etc, that's "ha ha" funny. otherwise it's just a matter of charisma and likability. and ratings say the older guy has more of it.

[quote name='Danimal']Or he made a deal with Satan.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure this is how Carson Daly became famous. Oh, and how Carson Daly has managed to date Tara Reid, Jennifer Love Hewitt, Christina Aguilera, Willa Ford, and Jaime Pressly

[quote name='Koggit']do either of those fools actually make people laugh? like audible "ha ha" laugh?[/QUOTE]
I think Conan is hilarious. I always laugh out loud when watching his show.
[quote name='dinovelvet']Leno is Mr. Middle America.[/quote]
Middle America sucks.

To be honest I always thought this whole thing was a dumb move. I mean Leon was doing great in the 11:30 time slot and I'll assume Conan was doing fine at 12:30.

[quote name='Koggit']do either of those fools actually make people laugh? like audible "ha ha" laugh?

as far as talk show hosts go sure they're ace, but i didn't think anybody actually laughed at the things they said. if you wanna laugh watch its always sunny, arrested dev, the office, etc, that's "ha ha" funny. otherwise it's just a matter of charisma and likability. and ratings say the older guy has more of it.[/QUOTE]

How can you compare a Talk Show with a Comedy Show? Comedy shows, like you mentioned, are taped and edited if anything they can take days to weeks just to get the right laugh. If that doesnt work after they film a show if it doesn't hit the right laugh track they can have the people comeback and redo the scene.

A talk show is pretty much taped lived with little to no editing if anything you may have heard some shows say they are in a delay when it airs that so censors can do there thing. I have been fortunate enough to have been on a couple tapings of Conan and David Letterman show and I tell you it really depends who is on that night but I and the audience had a great time.

I will say this if this is true and Conan goes back to his spot I am glad cause he had to curb so much of his comedy who a different demographic.

I preferred Conan in the old timeslot anyway. If true, I hope this means Jimmy Fallon gets tossed out on the street.

"Hey Kev? What does NBC stand for?"
what jay?
"Never Believe your Contract!"

Jay's awesome, he can always poke fun at himself, ALWAYS.

[quote name='IRHari']"Hey Kev? What does NBC stand for?"
what jay?
"Never Believe your Contract!"

Jay's awesome, he can always poke fun at himself, ALWAYS.[/QUOTE]

Oh I get it, it's funny because he's doing some work with NBC that involves contracts, now I understand. Wow, that's a funny joke he told.

If it's true, it really stinks. Leno leaving the Tonight Show in favor of Conan was in the works for years, and if Leno didn't want out, he shouldn't have left. NBC would've lost Conan, but it looks like that's what's potentially going to happen anyway.

Ah well, I think Craig Ferguson is still the best of the late night talk show hosts anyway. His contract is up this year too, so things could get really interesting.

fuck it. I hope jay comes back. conan gets bought out and then he moves to another network. because at the end if the day I'll still watch conan and still hate leno.

[quote name='nateeasy29']NBC is denying this. I wouldn't believe everything TMZ says. And everyone knows Conan is awesome.[/QUOTE]
As silly as it sounds, TMZ is more often right than not. Or at least they usually end up somewhere in the ballpark.

I don't think Jay Leno is a giant piece of shit like a lot of people think, but I still think Conan is miles better. As long as he's a talk show host, I don't care where he does it.

Here's some actual news to counter the baseless speculation in this thread.

http://mediadecoder.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/07/update-nbc-plans-leno-at-1130-conan-at-12/

Pressed by affiliates and shrinking ratings, NBC has a plan in the works to radically alter its late-night television lineup, restoring Jay Leno to his old spot at 11:35 each weeknight, while pushing the man who replaced him, Conan O’Brien, to a starting time of 12:05 a.m.
NBC executives held extensive discussions with Mr. Leno and Mr. O’Brien on Thursday about the future of the network’s late-night lineup.
And while NBC officially said no final decision on the plan had been made, two senior NBC executives who had talked to the top management about the moves said that under the plan being discussed, Mr. Leno would definitely shift back to 11:35 but in a half-hour format, while Mr. O’Brien would slide back his start time by a half hour and then produce an hourlong show.
“We remain committed to keeping Conan O’Brien on NBC,” the network said in a statement Thursday evening. “He is a valued part of our late-night lineup, as he has been for more than 16 years, and is one of the most respected entertainers on television.”
The third NBC late-night star, Jimmy Fallon, would then begin his show at 1:05 a.m., the executives said. The revised lineup would go into effect after NBC concludes its coverage of the Winter Olympics on Feb. 28. NBC will pre-empt its prime-time and late-night lineup for more than two weeks to cover the Olympics, creating a natural break in which to put the late-night changes into effect.

Pimpbot 5000 Disapproves!

l_ef0eb3f36ef52d481ec937499f7500a9.jpg

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Didn't you hear, it's cool to hate what others like?[/QUOTE] rebel without a cause brah

I wonder if this has anything to do with Comcast. Maybe they're the ones who want Leno back at that spot? After all they do own the network now

NBC cockblocked Conan from the get-go when they created that Leno show. Their frantic "don't worry, Leno's still here!!!" approach just sent the message that they weren't willing to commit to a new Tonight Show host. The majority of the audience who don't have strong opinions on the Leno/Conan issue are just gonna watch Leno for their late-night fix and then go to bed. They basically sabotaged the Tonight Show and then acted surprised when ratings were down. Oh, NBC...

[quote name='neocisco']OP, your new title is completely incorrect. No changes have been made.[/QUOTE]

Oooo really? Just read that Leno gets 11 30-midnight so he is back in. NBC also told Conan to take it or leave it. Do midnight to 1 or leave. So Leno is back in and it is a Tonight Show Shakeup.

TMZ.com

"As TMZ first reported, after the Olympics, Jay Leno will get his 11:30 PM time period back. We're told network execs have told Conan they will let him decide if he wants the midnight to 1:00 AM time slot. If he does, Leno's show will only be a half hour. If Conan walks, Leno will get a full hour, informed sources tell TMZ.

Our sources say Conan has not decided what he wants. We do know he's pissed, because he was given no advanced warning this was coming. Conan's people told NBC they are considering the offer. Translation: Mr. O'Brien -- I have Rupert Murdoch on line one, Stephen McPherson on line two, John Landgraf on line three, Jeff Wachtel on line four ...

We're told if Conan gets another offer, even though NBC could block the move, they will let him go and give Leno the full hour."

Let me know when this is announced by a credible news site (which TMZ most certainly is not). BTW, I posted essentially the same information last night via the New York Times (plus a link). Regardless, it's not confirmed and is still just rumor.

bread's done
Back