Tonight Show Shakeup Leno Back In

[quote name='wildcpac']Oooo really? Just read that Leno gets 11 30-midnight so he is back in. NBC also told Conan to take it or leave it. Do midnight to 1 or leave. So Leno is back in and it is a Tonight Show Shakeup.

TMZ.com...[/QUOTE]

A source telling TMZ.com is not enough proof. Yes I think it will happen but until someone official, be it Leno, Conan, or an executive for NBC says so then its just a rumor.

[quote name='neocisco']Let me know when this is announced by a credible news site (which TMZ most certainly is not). BTW, I posted essentially the same information last night via the New York Times (plus a link). Regardless, it's not confirmed and is still just rumor.[/QUOTE]

As much as you may be right... TMZ is not just the inquirer. They have been really right on a lot of things, before anyone else lately. A lot of things. My wife watches that show and they broke the rihanna stuff as well as a lot of MJ stuff first, before any big "reporter" did. There are many other instances, I cant think of, and I could honestly care less.

I do know that CNN and HLN, and I am almost positive Fox talked about this, this morning. I scanned all three channels as I was getting ready for work, and heard it twice.

[quote name='neocisco']Let me know when this is announced by a credible news site (which TMZ most certainly is not). BTW, I posted essentially the same information last night via the New York Times (plus a link). Regardless, it's not confirmed and is still just rumor.[/QUOTE]

Lets make a friendly wager. If this rumor is false, I wont post on here for 1 week. If the rumor is true, you do not post on here for 1 week.

There *must* be some sort of clause that would allow NBC to do this to Leno/Conan when they switched. By tossing Leno back to 11:30, it opens up the 10pm time slot for dramas on NBC again. Pushing Conan back to 12:30pm won't hurt him either as he has done fine at that time slot. However I do know that Conan was paid a lot of money to take over for the tonight show and there could be some serious shit happening if NBC decides to breach their contract with Conan. Conan might have his contract bought out with a choice, take the money and go back to 12:30 or take the money and leave NBC. There is a lot of risk involved in this move. It doesn't matter what time Leno/Conan is on. They both have done a great job so far.

So ultimately I think NBC wants its 10pm slot back for dramas and they have to push someone out to get it back. Who are they going to piss off more? Leno or Conan?

[quote name='Malik112099']oh god...cbs needs to pick up conan and dominate[/QUOTE]

CBS won't touch anything with NBC residue on it. They don't want to piss off Letterman and doing everything in their power to keep him happy.

its so stupid because Leno is going to want to retire or die and I'm thinking Conan will just move to another Network. Then they will be screwed royally because they will have no Talk show hosts. Forget them both I watch Jimmy Kimmel anyway.

The Jay Leno Show is set to air 11:35-12:05
Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien 12:05-1:05
Jimmy Fallon 1:05-2:05

Unless Conan wants to leave, which they will offer.

Conan is NOT going back to 12:35 and is still the host of the Tonight Show. NBC can contractually do this, but if they push back Conan further than 12:05, they have to pay penalties.

And don't wait for another news site to report it, this shit is a LOCK.

[quote name='DestroVega']The Jay Leno Show is set to air 11:35-12:05
Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien 12:05-1:05
Jimmy Fallon 1:05-2:05

Unless Conan wants to leave, which they will offer.

Conan is NOT going back to 12:35 and is still the host of the Tonight Show. NBC can contractually do this, but if they push back Conan further than 12:05, they have to pay penalties.

And don't wait for another news site to report it, this shit is a LOCK.[/QUOTE]

What are your sources?

[quote name='WhipSmartBanky']If it's true, it really stinks. Leno leaving the Tonight Show in favor of Conan was in the works for years, and if Leno didn't want out, he shouldn't have left. NBC would've lost Conan, but it looks like that's what's potentially going to happen anyway.[/QUOTE]
I've been hearing for a while now it was NBC that pushed Leno out.

Personally, I loved Conan when he was on at 12:35. Ever since he moved up an hour it seems the good bits (ex. Conan on location) are shorter in length.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']I've been hearing for a while now it was NBC that pushed Leno out.[/QUOTE]

I blame Comcast.

[quote name='ITDEFX']There *must* be some sort of clause that would allow NBC to do this to Leno/Conan when they switched. By tossing Leno back to 11:30, it opens up the 10pm time slot for dramas on NBC again. Pushing Conan back to 12:30pm won't hurt him either as he has done fine at that time slot. However I do know that Conan was paid a lot of money to take over for the tonight show and there could be some serious shit happening if NBC decides to breach their contract with Conan. Conan might have his contract bought out with a choice, take the money and go back to 12:30 or take the money and leave NBC. There is a lot of risk involved in this move. It doesn't matter what time Leno/Conan is on. They both have done a great job so far.

So ultimately I think NBC wants its 10pm slot back for dramas and they have to push someone out to get it back. Who are they going to piss off more? Leno or Conan?[/QUOTE]
So even if Conan decides to walk he still gets to keep the $40 million? If that's the case then fuck NBC Conan should walk and keep his cash.

This decision makes sense. Old people are scared of Conan, college kids don't get home from keggers until Conan's old timeslot.

[quote name='cochesecochese']So even if Conan decides to walk he still gets to keep the $40 million? If that's the case then fuck NBC Conan should walk and keep his cash.[/QUOTE]

just read a NYT article that says it wouldnt be a breach of contract for them to change conans time slot if they kept the name of the show "the tonight show". pretty weak move if they did that. i hope conan doesnt take this shit, let him move to fox.

[quote name='wildcpac']Lets make a friendly wager. If this rumor is false, I wont post on here for 1 week. If the rumor is true, you do not post on here for 1 week.[/QUOTE]

I never said I thought the rumor was false. I just distrust TMZ since they're nothing more than a cancer. I'll go ahead and say (for the second time now) that I posted the same information from a NY Times blog last night. Read it in post #37. Once more with feeling, this is NOT confirmed, regardless of which news sources are speculating. Until NBC makes an announcement it's all rumors and hearsay.

Leno should tell NBC to suck it and retire. Conan should give NBC the finger and go to Fox. NBC couldn't have handled this any worse if they had tried.

[quote name='shrike4242']I think this might be a more reliable site:

http://tv.msn.com/tv/article.aspx?news=450702&gt1=28103[/QUOTE]

[quote name='neocisco']I never said I thought the rumor was false. I just distrust TMZ since they're nothing more than a cancer. I'll go ahead and say (for the second time now) that I posted the same information from a NY Times blog last night. Read it in post #37. Once more with feeling, this is NOT confirmed, regardless of which news sources are speculating. Until NBC makes an announcement it's all rumors and hearsay.

Leno should tell NBC to suck it and retire. Conan should give NBC the finger and go to Fox. NBC couldn't have handled this any worse if they had tried.[/QUOTE]

There has GOT to be something more to this. Giving Leno only 30 minutes to work with is NOT enough time. The first 20/30 minutes of his show is the better than the last 30 minutes with his guests. What I think is going to happen is that both Leno and Conan are going to suck it up and do what NBC tells them. Yes Leno can bow out gracefully because he's done and there is no shame, but Conan is too young and to piss off NBC would be a dangerous career move. What the hell could NBC be planning for 10pm that was so great that forced them to pull this crap? People will tell Conan stand up to NBC, but in reality moving back 30 minutes and keeping his Tonight Show job is what is going to happen next.

Conan going to FOX would not be a good idea either, as you know FOX LOVES to cancel good shows.

[quote name='ITDEFX'] but Conan is too young and to piss off NBC would be a dangerous career move. .[/QUOTE]

worked out for letterman.

i think conan on fox wouldnt be canceled for 2 reasons. 1, theyd invest a ton of money into it. 2. i believe after the news fox lets its affiliates run syndicated shows. conan will pull in better ratings for fox and its affiliates over reruns of everybody loves raymond every night.

[quote name='neocisco']I never said I thought the rumor was false. I just distrust TMZ since they're nothing more than a cancer. I'll go ahead and say (for the second time now) that I posted the same information from a NY Times blog last night. Read it in post #37. Once more with feeling, this is NOT confirmed, regardless of which news sources are speculating. Until NBC makes an announcement it's all rumors and hearsay.

Leno should tell NBC to suck it and retire. Conan should give NBC the finger and go to Fox. NBC couldn't have handled this any worse if they had tried.[/QUOTE]

And like I said, if TMZ is wrong, I'll stop posting on here for a week. If they are right, you stop posting on here for a week. Are you too afraid to take up that bet? I thought TMZ was a cancer? They are the ones who broke the story.

NYPost is reporting that there is a good chance that Conan could go to Fox.

I don't give a damn anymore what they do with tv shows and what not. The ratings system is flawed and the public is dumb which is why good shows like Kings get canceled. I'm done.

[quote name='wildcpac']And like I said, if TMZ is wrong, I'll stop posting on here for a week. If they are right, you stop posting on here for a week. Are you too afraid to take up that bet? I thought TMZ was a cancer? They are the ones who broke the story.

NYPost is reporting that there is a good chance that Conan could go to Fox.[/QUOTE]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BNsrK6P9QvI

You completely missed the point yet again and I'm not wasting anymore time explaining it further to you.

This is one of the biggest news story coming out of the entertainment business for this year ... damn what a start. Something that big can't be kept quite. Someone is going to spill the beans and say whats really behind all this shit.

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']just read a NYT article that says it wouldnt be a breach of contract for them to change conans time slot if they kept the name of the show "the tonight show". pretty weak move if they did that. i hope conan doesnt take this shit, let him move to fox.[/QUOTE]
Conan lost. Ugh. fuck Leno.

wtf a half hour? Leno is probably going to do half the show then conan will walk in and be like ok its my turn get out the the seat.

A lot of rumors and speculation about this mess. Apparently, the local markets have been a big reason for this proposed change as many of the major markets reported significant decreases in viewership of local affiliate programing (local news etc) since Leno's move to primetime.

Leno's show wasn't performing well but it was still profitable, for the time being at least. Conan hasn't been performing well, ratings wise, since the second week he took over.

Apparently if NBC gives Leno back the "Tonight Show" label they also have to hand Conan a check for something like $40-$50 million on the spot. Leno also has some pretty high dollar contract with NBC so if they flat out cancel his show they would still have to pay out a pretty high fee to him so it seems like they are scrambling to keep both Leno and Conan on the air without forking over a ton of cash. All the while Fox is apparently waiting to offer either of these guys a deal to come over to Fox with a timeslot 30 minutes earlier than Letterman and the current Tonight Show.

While I do like Leno, I really feel bad for Conan in this situation. NBC has made such a huge mess, it is going to be interesting to see how it all shakes out.

From what I understand, part of Conan's contract was that they could legally push his show back to 12:05 if they felt necessary. That always seemed kinda fishy, but I guess it makes sense now. From what I've read in the papers, it seems that NBC's exec Jeff Zucker gave Conan the contract back in 2004 or so believing Leno would be retiring in 2009. Come 2009, Leno's still getting solid ratings and expresses that he doesn't want to leave yet. So, Zucker decides to put a quick fix on it by giving Conan what he had been promised, but also giving Leno a prime time slot to appease him and keep him from jumping ship. Now it seems to be biting him on the ass. Either way, it doesn't matter what happens as i don't watch either show. As long as my favourite shows are unaffected, I'm ok.

Ugh, this totally bums me out. Conan is such a nice guy and doesn't deserve this crap. I don't get how his ratings are down, his show is better than ever. It is a show I consistently watch and if it was removed at all, it would really ruin a great part of my weekdays. fuck Leno... he was suppose to be gone.

This reminds me of the whole UGO buying 1up/removing EGM debacle.

I think when he went to an earlier time, he had to tone down some of the comedy he'd done. That and the Leno show wAs apparently a poor lead-in and turned off some viewers. It's a shame, really. If I remember the article correctly, at this time last year, Leno was drawing around 5.5 mil per show, but Conan's only drawing half that. Buh.

I still absolutely hate this move. Completely fucks up my routine of going to bed at 11:30 and then turning over and falling asleep after the monologue/first skit after commercial break. I would love it if Conan bailed on NBC and went to Fox to retain that time slot.

[quote name='davo1224']I never really larfed at either of their shows much. I have to say I'm addicted to the Fallon show though.[/QUOTE]

As much as I dislike Fallon, his show is actually pretty good; although his monologue is never funny.

Yeah his monologue is painfully awful but I was never sure if that was supposed to a gag. It's seriously that bad that you have to wonder if it's being done on purpose.

[quote name='Squall835']As much as I dislike Fallon, his show is actually pretty good; although his monologue is never funny.[/QUOTE]
Yea, I don't really watch him. But he has definitely improved from the beginning and the show is really coming into its own. It's not terrible. I still don't watch it, but it is not bad.

I'm much more a fan of Leno than Conan but this is a clusterfuck of major proportions.

Either way I don't feel pity on Conan or Leno because they'll be making major money no matter what the outcome.

I for one hate this clusterfuck. Leno should just fucking retire and say fuck you to NBC. Conan on fox would be pretty fucking awesome because mad tv while it sucked in it's later years still had the more sick side to it that I don't see on NBC. In return I think Conan could do a funnier show with more freedom.

[quote name='DarkNessBear']This reminds me of the whole UGO buying 1up/removing EGM debacle.[/QUOTE]

I don't care either way about Conan or Jay, but I just wanted to say that UGO didn't remove EGM. Ziff David discontinued the magazine and sold 1UP to UGO. UGO likely wasn't interested in buying a magazine that was losing money.

While that Mega64 video about the situation was entertaining, it was not factual.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1oTBlA9hEX4

[quote name='CheapyD']I don't care either way about Conan or Jay, but I just wanted to say that UGO didn't remove EGM. Ziff David discontinued the magazine and sold 1UP to UGO. UGO likely wasn't interested in buying a magazine that was losing money.

While that Mega64 video about the situation was entertaining, it was not factual.
[/QUOTE]
Yea, it wasn't UGO's fault that EGM ended. But, people attacked UGO because they thought that. Just like people will attack Jay for ending Conan, when in reality it wasn't his fault... that we know of. That is what I was referring to, both scenarios are playing out similarly.

^ Fox reports Conan has begun preliminary talks with Fox. Conflict of interest - or straight from the horse's mouth?

Jay Leno's refusal to retire is part of the problem here, DarknessBear. So I do consider him partially responsible for this problem.

[quote name='mykevermin']^ Fox reports Conan has begun preliminary talks with Fox. Conflict of interest - or straight from the horse's mouth?[/QUOTE]
There is also a link to a New York Post story at the end of that article. Which says pretty much same thing.

Shows you how much I pay attention. Still even if you ignore the Fox part of the story it seems like it could be true.

I don't disagree. But it seems very conflict of interest-y for me. But also reliable. Fox ain't bluffing because they'd have no reason to.

I think the OP needs to change his title from "Tonight Show Shakeup Leno Back In" to something else. It's not a question about the status of the tonight show. NBC will not cancel the Tonight Show PERIOD. It will keep on trucking with or without Leno/O'brien.
It is also not about Leno not wanting to retire. NBC can say sorry we want O'Brien to host the tonight show and we have nothing for you Mr. Leno and that's it.

The execs at NBC did NOT plan this carefully and jump the gun on this, as a result it IS going to cost them millions for this fuck up. They need to get rid of Fallon (sp?), send Conan back to NY and let Leno continue with the tonight show for as long as he wants to.

Everything just happened too soon. Less than a year was not enough time to give both of them a chance.

bread's done
Back