Tonight Show Shakeup Leno Back In

I wouldn't be surprised if Conan did head off to Fox. They have been trying for years to get a late night show so I'm sure they would do just about anything to grab Conan.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Hopefully we get confirmation on Conan moving to Fox soon.[/QUOTE]

That would be wonderful. I miss the Conan from Late Night. The Tonight Show Conan is too toned down.

[quote name='Doc Bacca']Here's my idea. (Note: all my times are in central time zone, convert as needed)
Leno needs to quit NBC. He is getting screwed by them too, and from a video I saw of his last nights monologue, He isn't happy either.
They both go to Fox. Fox has an earlier news broadcast, still in primetime at 9. Leno gets the 10 pm slot (in Chicago it is filled with some stupid postnews interest stories that I don't think anyone cares about). This lets him follow the news again, which has an older demographic which his style is more liked by. His show should only be a half hour (better for him anyways because he is normally padding his show with stupid shit and it seems better for stand up guys to be on for a shorter amount of time. Less exposure means they stay fresher and don't have to come up with so much material.)
Conan then follows Leno again at 10:30. He gets the younger audience that he attracts and then potentially some of the older audience that likes Leno may follow.
Now Fox needs to not screw this up and give the situation what it desperately needs, TIME. Guarantee it for 2-3 years. Allow for Conan to mature at the 10:30 time slot, Leno's audience to grow on it (which Conan benefits from) and for the curious people to tune in. Conan is not used to having to pander for an older audience, he was able to get away with going younger at a later hour. He needs to pull a larger audience now, meaning older people. Give him time to hone what he does and grow (just as he did with his old show.) He did it once before and he can do it again.[/QUOTE]

This is a terrible scenario... Leno already has failed at 10.

And yeah, hopefully a Conan, fresh off getting face-fucked by NBC, would be a lot more edgy.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']I wouldn't be surprised if Conan did head off to Fox. They have been trying for years to get a late night show so I'm sure they would do just about anything to grab Conan.[/QUOTE]
Wasn't the Arsenio Hall show on fox? :lol:

FOX just has a bad rep for canceling good shows. ABC doesn't want him.

Defecting to FOX will be a major death sentence to his career.

[quote name='ITDEFX']FOX just has a bad rep for canceling good shows. ABC doesn't want him.

Defecting to FOX will be a major death sentence to his career.[/QUOTE]

Not necessarily...If they do get Conan and put him on the 11pm timeslot, they'll be killing the nightly reruns of Simpsons which I'm sure don't get big ratings. A fresh new late show in its place featuring Conan who has a pretty big loyal fanbase should definitely bring in huge ratings compared to the reruns for that time slot, which of course brings more money in form of advertising. I'd say Fox would be stupid not to do it.

LP, Fox has already killed the 11:00 Simpsons reruns. It's been The Office followed by a repeat of TMZ (that airs the next day at 11AM anyways) for a few months now.

It would be a prime time for Fox to get back in the talk show game though. I think they should capitalize and hit up either Conan or Fallon. Pulling Fallon away would just enable everyone to go back to their original timeslots and pretend this whole shit was a bad dream.

[quote name='62t']So who is next in line for the tonight show, Jimmy Fallon?[/QUOTE]
I highly doubt it. They'll probably give it back to Jay.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']I highly doubt it. They'll probably give it back to Jay.[/QUOTE]

I mean after Jay Leno decides to retire for good

Ok say Conan defects and leaves NBC, Leno gets back the tonight show and Fallon stays right where he is at 12:35... The 10pm timeshot gets shot to hell for MONTHS until NBC can produce new shows..and that will take MONTHS. So we might get re-runs of shows for awhile at 10pm.

I really don't trust FOX. Too many good shows have been canceled on that network.

[quote name='62t']I mean after Jay Leno decides to retire for good[/QUOTE]
Keeping with tradition, probably Carson Daly or one of the interns.

Ah, who knows. I mean when it was first announced that Conan would be getting the Tonight Show you would have thought Carson would get the late night show. Thankfuly that wasn't the case becuase his shows is pretty bad.

[quote name='Brownjohn']That would be wonderful. I miss the Conan from Late Night. The Tonight Show Conan is too toned down.[/QUOTE]

first guest on fox, masturbating bear

[quote name='RAMSTORIA']first guest on fox, masturbating bear[/QUOTE]

No, a cage match between Masturbating Bear and PimpBot 5000.

[quote name='JJSP']LP, Fox has already killed the 11:00 Simpsons reruns. It's been The Office followed by a repeat of TMZ (that airs the next day at 11AM anyways) for a few months now.[/QUOTE]
Oh...my bad. It's still re-runs though, so my post still makes sense ;)

[quote name='JJSP']Keeping with tradition, probably Carson Daly or one of the interns.[/QUOTE]

There is no tradition on how the Tonight Show gets transitioned or do we pretend Dave was never there? I am just happy it's no longer Conan and that Dave is laughing his ass off right now.

And where would they put him? 12AM? I don't think they would want to risk moving the Daily Show or the Colbert Report.

[quote name='gindias']There is no tradition on how the Tonight Show gets transitioned or do we pretend Dave was never there? I am just happy it's no longer Conan and that Dave is laughing his ass off right now.[/QUOTE]
Why would you be happy that Conan got screwed by NBC?

This whole situation is so fucked up. I just hope that whatever happens Conan is on TV someplace late at night. The world will just suck more with no Conan in it.

[quote name='Chibi_Kaji']And where would they put him? 12AM? I don't think they would want to risk moving the Daily Show or the Colbert Report.

Why would you be happy that Conan got screwed by NBC?[/QUOTE]

I rank Conan along the lines of comedic geniuses such as Bob Saget and Steve Guttenberg. I personally think he is annoying and not funny at all.

I know people will think I am an idiot but thats my opinion, late night television will be much better off without him and that clown Jimmy Fallon.

[quote name='DestroVega']This is a terrible scenario... Leno already has failed at 10.

And yeah, hopefully a Conan, fresh off getting face-fucked by NBC, would be a lot more edgy.[/QUOTE]

10 p.m. Eastern, All my times were in central, as the note at the beginning of my post says. 11 o'clock is the Eastern time. I'm not saying to put him in the time slot he was just in, because that is when they run the local news.

Given Fox's track record of retarded marketing decisions, I'm amazed anyone would suggest he head there. I'd rather him head over to Comedy Central, but I'm guessing his availability at that point goes down a notch or two.

Basically, NBC, Leno, and Conan haters all need to have their nuts boiled.

[quote name='gindias']I rank Conan along the lines of comedic geniuses such as Bob Saget and Steve Guttenberg. I personally think he is annoying and not funny at all.

I know people will think I am an idiot but thats my opinion, late night television will be much better off without him and that clown Jimmy Fallon.[/QUOTE]

I saw Bob Saget live last December and let me tell you my friend....... you couldn't be more wrong. Saget live is the goods.

Just went to Conan. It was great, he seems really bummed out by the whole thing. But, it was a fun time... some funny comments about it tonight.

[quote name='Strell']Given Fox's track record of retarded marketing decisions, I'm amazed anyone would suggest he head there. I'd rather him head over to Comedy Central, but I'm guessing his availability at that point goes down a notch or two.
[/QUOTE]

I couldn't see him going there.

Less viewers since it's cable channel, so less appealing for him. And he'd still get stuck in the midnight slot, as someone noted earlier in the thread, as Comedy Central isn't moving The Daily Show or The Colbert Report out of the 11/11:30 time slots.

If he moves, it would probably be to fox since they're broadcast and don't have a late night show at 11:30 currently.

Holy shit.

Conan making every joke an NBC dig.

Kimmel doing his entire show as Jay Leno.

Ferguson outright calling NBC "lying rat bastards."

Amazing.

I'm not sure why anyone is surprised with this. Jay and NBC did something similar to Dave when Jay got the Tonight Show.

Conan was so great tonight. The whole being called a Ho bit was fantastic. The guy from chuck talking about the olden days of XBL were true. People actually used to be nice to each other on there.

I love when he signed off he said "we'll see you tomarrow....maybe".

[quote name='spoo']I'm not sure why anyone is surprised with this. Jay and NBC did something similar to Dave when Jay got the Tonight Show.[/QUOTE]

Jay Leno is a douche. He's not funny at all. I can't comprehend why NBC always backs that lame horse.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']Jay Leno is a douche. He's not funny at all. I can't comprehend why NBC always backs that lame horse.[/QUOTE]

There is a movie that came out like over 10 years ago called the Late Shift that talks about this situation. I thought it was very good. You can buy it or rent it.

Seriously if it IS in fact Leno is behind all this, how much power does he really have with NBC?

If this is true then it seems Jay might be leaving NBC. If you ask me I think it's damage control to save his rep.

Sources close to former 'Tonight Show' host Jay Leno tell me he is furious with the way NBC has treated him and Conan O'Brien and is considering walking away from the entire mess with his head held high. "Now that Conan has made it clear he is leaving the troubled network, Jay is considering doing the same. They have put Jay in a terrible position. It looks like he is the reason that Conan is now without a job. Jay is a great guy and it's not fair that due to NBC's stupidity he looks like the bad guy," a TV insider tells me.
Source

Bingo @ the idea that this is Leno's damage control to save his reputation. He'll act like he's not in on it, make a few benign-yet-disparaging remarks about NBC, and the continue to tow the company line as the new-old host of the Tonight Show.

Pro wrestling fans remember that Shawn Michaels acted outraged and appalled at the "Montreal Screwjob" in 1997, but around a decade later, finally admitted he was in on it the whole time (and, for non-wrestling fans, this was external to any show-related storylines).

This is the parallel I see going on here.

But I will watch Conan tonight. He fucking killed last night.

[quote name='Interstella 5555']If this is true then it seems Jay might be leaving NBC. If you ask me I think it's damage control to save his rep.

Source[/QUOTE]

I'm with you, I don't buy that one bit. He knows what he's doing and he's getting everything he wanted, dude's gotta be popping champagne bottles behind the scenes.

One thing that keeps bugging me about the whole thing is that people seem to be under the impression that Conan has quit NBC. As far as I can tell, that sprang from TMZ, who apparently took his letter that way.

Maybe I'm crazy, but that just seemed like a 'if you do this, I won't participate' letter, not a 'fuck you, I'm out RIGHT NOW' letter. Seemed more like a line in the sand, standing up to them thing than a resignation. Am I alone here?

My god.. Conan was golden last night.

I too miss Conan's Late Night days. I feel his show was more "uncut/unrated". I was seriously bummed when they didn't bring his old announcer Joel with him but instead, opted for chicken Mcf4gg0t Andy Ricter(sp?).

I keep wondering how NBC can do such things to the world's new Oprah. :lol:

[quote name='007']One thing that keeps bugging me about the whole thing is that people seem to be under the impression that Conan has quit NBC. As far as I can tell, that sprang from TMZ, who apparently took his letter that way.

Maybe I'm crazy, but that just seemed like a 'if you do this, I won't participate' letter, not a 'fuck you, I'm out RIGHT NOW' letter. Seemed more like a line in the sand, standing up to them thing than a resignation. Am I alone here?[/QUOTE]
No, you're not alone, and you're right on the money. Conan's basically saying he won't participate in any changes, not that he's going to quit.

^ No I feel the same way, if Leno quits, Conan will stay and all will be settled. If NBC insists Jay goes back to 11:30, then Conan walks.

fuck, if both Leno and O'brien walk, who the fuck they are going to put as tonight show host? Fallon? fuck that! Because of this, Letterman might just win the late night wars by default. :(

I do not take the letter as Conan trying to quit. I think he is trying to get NBC to fire him. It's a bigger payday and more opportunity somewhere else if he were fired instead of quitting.

Letterman and Fallon are going to be the big winners out of all of this. Carson Daly too!

Anyone watch Kimmel last night? He did his whole show as Leno. It was pretty funny to look at but his impersonation was horrible and his jokes were horrible, though I can't help to imagine if he inentionally made bad jokes as to take more jabs at Leno.

s-KIMMEL-LENO-large.jpg
s-KIMMEL-LENO-large.jpg

"Hello, my name is Jay Leno. And let it hereby be known - that I'm taking over all the shows in late night. Beginning with this! It's great to be here on ABC. "You know what ABC stands for? Always Bump Conan.
"Conan O'Brien today announced that he is leaving NBC. He released a statement today that said, 'I won't participate in the destruction of the Tonight Show.' Fortunately though - I will!
"For those of you who tuned in to see Jimmy Kimmel tonight - he's gone - Jimmy is not here anymore. But don't worry, Jimmy will be fine. I hear he picked up an endorsement deal with Jenny Craig."

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/13/jimmy-kimmel-jay-leno-vid_n_421375.html

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/01/13/jimmy-kimmel-does-jay-len_n_421409.html

[quote name='wildcpac']I do not take the letter as Conan trying to quit. I think he is trying to get NBC to fire him. It's a bigger payday and more opportunity somewhere else if he were fired instead of quitting.

Letterman and Fallon are going to be the big winners out of all of this. Carson Daly too![/QUOTE]

I don't think Conan is trying to get himself fired. You got to be really stupid to get yourself fired from NBC. He is trying to push NBC to release him and buy out his contract , which I say it again, will cost NBC millions. Conan can just retire now with the millions he will get from that. The only real way to get NBC to fire Conan is if he were to do something really stupid like get himself arrested or pull a Tiger Woods, then yea fuck Conan.

As for now, the media is taking that letter as "I quit", when it is not a quit letter.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Anyone watch Kimmel last night? He did his whole show as Leno. It was pretty funny to look at but his impersonation was horrible and his jokes were horrible, though I can't help to imagine if he inentionally made bad jokes as to take more jabs at Leno.
[/QUOTE]

He was OBVIOUSLY doing Leno-style material, for one thing Jimmy doesn't usually do a monologue, he always shows random news clips.

"Did you guys hear about this?" :D

And the headlines skit, where he laughs uncontrollably at them before showing them to the audience? Brilliant.

Here is another though. Anyone thought about the ratings NBC is receiving because of all this? Isn't there a particular month (Jan or Feb) that networks/shows need to do good in? Could this be just a stupid ratings stunt?

bread's done
Back