Tonight Show Shakeup Leno Back In

[quote name='ITDEFX']Here is another though. Anyone thought about the ratings NBC is receiving because of all this? Isn't there a particular month (Jan or Feb) that networks/shows need to do good in? Could this be just a stupid ratings stunt?[/QUOTE]

Fans of Conan O'Brien across the country, meanwhile, showed their support by tuning in to "The Tonight Show." Tuesday's episode notched a 1.7 rating /7 share in adults 18-49 in Nielsen's 25 major markets with people meters -- up 40% from Monday's episode. O'Brien's demo rating was also double that of "Late Show with David Letterman.")

I in no way believe that this is a ratings stunt.

[quote name='007']One thing that keeps bugging me about the whole thing is that people seem to be under the impression that Conan has quit NBC. As far as I can tell, that sprang from TMZ, who apparently took his letter that way.

Maybe I'm crazy, but that just seemed like a 'if you do this, I won't participate' letter, not a 'fuck you, I'm out RIGHT NOW' letter. Seemed more like a line in the sand, standing up to them thing than a resignation. Am I alone here?[/QUOTE]

No, it's clearly an ultimatum; a very public one.

But I think people are cynical of Conan's ability to slay the mighty Peacock-Chin Wildebeest. The assumption that this means he quits is premised on folks' expectations that there's no way Conan will end up on top here.

Conan can already retire fellas... you think he has been working for peanuts the last 16 years?

NBC owes him money (up to $40 million) in any scenario where he isn't hosting the tonight show... and to people wondering why NBC backs Leno... He was DESTROYING Letterman in the ratings and they think they can just plug him back in and save the late-night fiasco. He won't though, people already realize, finally, that the guy sucks.

Hopefully Leno is serious about walking if Conan does and it's not just to maintain his image. NBC should seriously be shitting pants now.

Leno kinda seemed like an asshole in all of this, because he seemed ok with any plan that kept him in a show. If he's willing to back Conan up, that would really be a plus for the public's perception of him.

Leno is the asshole in all of this. This all started because Leno and Conan signed the contract five or six years ago that Conan would take over the Tonight Show in 2009 and when the time rolled around Leno wasn't ready to hang up his hat and started talks for the prime time Leno Show. Now that the Leno S how is hurting not just prime time ratings but late news and Tonight Show ratings he still won't hang it up.

[quote name='ITDEFX']There is a movie that came out like over 10 years ago called the Late Shift that talks about this situation. I thought it was very good. You can buy it or rent it.

Seriously if it IS in fact Leno is behind all this, how much power does he really have with NBC?[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've seen that movie. The guy who played Letterman looked so much like him.

Another good movie like that was Pirates of Silicon Valley. Gates vs. Jobs!

It's definitely logical that Leno would be wary of taking over the 11:30 slot on NBC. His ratings are in the shitter, and on the chance that they don't improve, who's to say he's not in the same position Conan is now. I'd be absolutely terrified of working for a network that gave a guy a $20M contract and promised him for 5 years that he had a a job only to change their minds a mere 7 months later.

lenodoctor.jpg

Jay Leno was a funny guy in his prime but its time to retire and give younger generation to improve the Tonight Show. Coco did an awesome job with Late Show and he is/was a funnier host than "Big Jaw Leno" on Tonight Show.

NBC has trolled America with an ingenious ratings boost ploy.

I only see one scenario where Conan stays. Conan refuses to do the time shift. Leno will quit if Conan is out. Leno's 10:00 numbers suck and NBC has a moment of common sense and leaves Conan at 11:35 even though Dave is currently beating him, allowing him time to groom the show (you know, like they did with him when he first started on Late Night). If Leno follows through and quits if Conan leaves then NBC is left with no one to host The Tonight Show. That is the worst case scenario for NBC in this whole debacle. Jeff Zucker will realize this and most likely will keep Conan at 11:35. NBC has wanted (for years) to have their cake and eat it too by keeping both Leno and Conan but it just won't work. They'll finally suck it up and leave Conan at 11:35 and still try to work with Leno in some capacity but not hosting a nightly show.

[quote name='Brak']
NBC has trolled America with an ingenious ratings boost ploy.
[/QUOTE]
You're giving them way too much credit.

[quote name='neocisco']I only see one scenario where Conan stays. Conan refuses to do the time shift. Leno will quit if Conan is out. Leno's 10:00 numbers suck and NBC has a moment of common sense and leaves Conan at 11:35 even though Dave is currently beating him, allowing him time to groom the show (you know, like they did with him when he first started on Late Night). If Leno follows through and quits if Conan leaves then NBC is left with no one to host The Tonight Show. That is the worst case scenario for NBC in this whole debacle. Jeff Zucker will realize this and most likely will keep Conan at 11:35. NBC has wanted (for years) to have their cake and eat it too by keeping both Leno and Conan but it just won't work. They'll finally suck it up and leave Conan at 11:35 and still try to work with Leno in some capacity but not hosting a nightly show.[/QUOTE]

That is assuming that Leno will quit if Conan is out. I highly doubt that will happen if it comes down to it. Leno will get some serious shit for forcing Conan out, but he'll still have his old show back.

He'll have a Conan apology/bash NBC executives first week, but then go back to business as usual.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']It's a whole campaign:
http://www.sirmikeofmitchell.com/imwithcoco/

They also have shirts now too...:whistle2:k[/QUOTE]Have you come upon that site that lets you take a pic of yourself with a webcam with that same Conan hair? I'm not sure if I saw it on FB or somewhere else, but I'm trying to find it myself. I was trying to do it myself on Photoshop, but I suck at that program.

Depends on how the contract was written up. He can possibly keep him off air as long as his still under the contract. Bascially taking some time off and getting 20million a year for doing nothing. It could also be a ploy to get Conan to break the contract...then again, it's all rumors right now so who knows.

wow just wow. Leno gets his fucking Tonight Show back and Conan is without a job :( Sure it would be nice if he gets 20 mill a year for 3 1/2 years but Late Night TV will never be the same without Conan. If all this is true, then I am truly done with the Tonight Show. This is something I expect coming from FOX, but NBC? What the hell? Yea I hope Leno's ratings just sink so bad they have to get rid of him. Bravo to you Conan for standing up for not only the show, but for what you believe in!

Fellas, face facts... Leno's Tonight Show had huge ratings, Conan's didn't.

The good part of all of this? Everyone gets to see what a backhanded, fucking scumbag piece of shit Leno really is. Even Letterman is now destroying Jay on his show, re-bringing up the fact Leno schemed so bad to get the Tonight Show, even though Carson wanted Letterman to have the show, that he hid in a fucking closet during an executive meeting to find out what was going on.

Really, Leno is such an asshole it's amazing. I think he won't get his old ratings back, who the fuck wants to deal with such a low-life.

[quote name='BustaUppa']I'm curious as to what "off the air" even means these days. The nature of media keeps changing![/QUOTE]

Brilliant point. Not appearing on a network? Big fuckin' deal.

fuck Leno, and fuck NBC.

If the Leno deal is true, Leno's Tonight Show is dead in the water because of the controversy surrounding it. He's been exposed, and his new old show will have such a stigma around it that viewers and stars will stay the hell away, killing the show as a self-fulfilling prophecy.

I look forward to the kind of program Conan would produce if they forced him to air something at some time per his contract. That would be fascinating television.

[quote name='LinkinPrime']Unfortunately, no.[/QUOTE]

Really? I though there was a buyout NBC has to pay him if they take him out of the 11:35 timeslot or off the Tonigh Show?

Which is why they tried to get him to agree to move back to 12:05.

[quote name='mykevermin']If the Leno deal is true, Leno's Tonight Show is dead in the water because of the controversy surrounding it. He's been exposed, and his new old show will have such a stigma around it that viewers and stars will stay the hell away, killing the show as a self-fulfilling prophecy.
[/QUOTE]

I really hope that's true. But Leno is so popular with the older crowd and middle america that he'll probably do fine.

10 PM was just silly as even that crowd would rather be watching CSI etc. vs. a talk show.

[quote name='dmaul1114']Really? I though there was a buyout NBC has to pay him if they take him out of the 11:35 timeslot or off the Tonigh Show?

Which is why they tried to get him to agree to move back to 12:05.[/QUOTE]

Not sure...I got that info from here:
http://www.tmz.com/2010/01/13/conan-obrien-jay-leno-the-tonight-show-nbc-contract-time-period/

It's a little old. Everything is based on "our sources" so who knows whats real and what's not until official announcements come out.

I'm wondering what option Conan has here. This thread seems to be full of people saying NBC will have to pay Conan while he goes and works for Fox or whatever, but if he wasn't guaranteed a time, then there's no actual contract breach by NBC, and there's no way they'd release him or take away his Tonight Show at this point, since they would then have to pay him as he goes elsewhere. Seems like he's all-around fucked.

bread's done
Back