Tonight Show Shakeup Leno Back In

How about a late night show without boring guests. Do I really care if this actor has a new movie out? No, no I don't not. At least not the actors they bring on.

I dunno... they should've never changed it in the first place. Either way, I'd rather have just Conan and Ferguson. The rest FAIL.

The NYP article was quoting the Wall Street Journal, I believe. Conan's contract with NBC is believed to be somewhere near $20M a year, and if Fox were to sign him for half of that, NBC would still be required to pay him the other half until his contract was up. The door is essentially open for Conan, as there's almost nothing holding him back from leaving. He's getting screwed royally, and I can't imagine working for a network that clearly won't make good on their contracts and decisions.

Dude moved his whole family and show across the country for what has amounted to a 5 month trial run. I'd be livid.

[quote name='ITDEFX'].... send Conan back to NY and let Leno continue with the tonight show for as long as he wants to.
[/QUOTE]

That's not an option. If they take Conan off the Tonight Show, they have to buy him out (like $40 million or so from what I've read) as per the contract they signed with him, and he'll walk and go to a competing network.

Is anyone at NBC thinking long term? How many years can Leno give you? And how many years can Conan give you?

[quote name='62t']Is anyone at NBC thinking long term? How many years can Leno give you? And how many years can Conan give you?[/QUOTE]

Both Leno and O'brien have given over 10 years of great performances, yes there were a few jokes that didn't sit well, but they both rebound nicely. Both of them have many years ahead of them.

Something must have happened behind closed doors to cause this mess. It can't be the ratings, it can't be Comcast. Everything I am hearing and reading so far seems to make it look like Leno is going come out on top, screwing both O'brien and Fallon on this. NBC seems to be backing Leno all the way while not caring too much about what O'brien thinks/does. If Fox comes up with a plan to snag both O'brien and Fallon, this could truely be a heated Late night talk show war. I doubt Fallon will jump since he's under contract, unless punishing him over another hour hurts him.

I really wonder what the Letterman camp is thinking of all this?

[quote name='ITDEFX']
I really wonder what the Letterman camp is thinking of all this?[/QUOTE]
Probably "wow, they actually did it again."

NBC fucked up in the first place... why are you moving Leno off the Tonight Show when it was a ratings monster?

And now you fuck with Conan trying to put him back? it's just retarded.

The only thing NBC hasn't fucked up in the last 5 years of TV is Thursday nights.

[quote name='DestroVega']NBC fucked up in the first place... why are you moving Leno off the Tonight Show when it was a ratings monster?

And now you fuck with Conan trying to put him back? it's just retarded.

The only thing NBC hasn't fucked up in the last 5 years of TV is Thursday nights.[/QUOTE]

From what I understand, NBC promised Conan The Tonight Show back in 2003, assuming Jay would retire by now. Since he didn't retire, they were at risk of losing Conan. Rather than just trying to work it out with Conan (try throwing more money at him, dumbasses) and convincing him to keep his old gig a couple more years, they came up with this ridiculous idea of giving Jay an earlier show and being able to keep their promise to Conan. Now that the shit has blown up in their faces, they'll most likely lose Conan, and Jay's ratings will probably still suck when he moves back to 11:35. Time for some execs to get axed.

[quote name='DestroVega']The only thing NBC hasn't fucked up in the last 5 years of TV is Thursday nights.[/QUOTE]

They might fuck it up if they axe Parks & Rec.

It's selfish and it would cut his audience size way down, but I'd love to see a Conan show on HBO rather than one of the usual networks.

[quote name='Demolition Man']They might fuck it up if they axe Parks & Rec.[/QUOTE]

agreed... Parks & Rec is the most improved show on TV this year. Thanks, mostly, to Aziz Ansari.

Here's the story:

Last Thursday, NBC executives told me they intended to move the Tonight Show to 12:05 to accommodate the Jay Leno Show at 11:35. For 60 years the Tonight Show has aired immediately following the late local news. I sincerely believe that delaying the Tonight Show into the next day to accommodate another comedy program will seriously damage what I consider to be the greatest franchise in the history of broadcasting. The Tonight Show at 12:05 simply isn’t the Tonight Show. Also, if I accept this move I will be knocking the Late Night show, which I inherited from David Letterman and passed on to Jimmy Fallon, out of its long-held time slot. That would hurt the other NBC franchise that I love, and it would be unfair to Jimmy.

So it has come to this: I cannot express in words how much I enjoy hosting this program and what an enormous personal disappointment it is for me to consider losing it. My staff and I have worked unbelievably hard and we are very proud of our contribution to the legacy of The Tonight Show. But I cannot participate in what I honestly believe is its destruction. Some people will make the argument that with DVRs and the Internet a time slot doesn’t matter. But with the Tonight Show, I believe nothing could matter more.

That was an awesome statement by Conan. I'm glad he's not budging with this. Personally, I would love to see him on Fox, and I think it could work out well, especially because Fox is usually ok with more offbeat and edgier humor.

Just heard Conan wouldn't stay if they go through with this change. It's too bad Jay Leno won't say he's going to retire. NBC is just making a bad move here. What happens when Leno decides to leave? Fallon becomes the Tonight Show host?

NBC is a fucking desert wasteland of a channel though. Heroes is about all they air that anybody talks about. CBS and ABC shit all over NBC. Even Fox takes a dump on them, which is like the biggest insult ever.

Leno can have NBC. It suits him.

I just read the statement on CNN. I was like ooo SnAP! NBC is REALLY in a tight spot here. I foresee a major train derailment coming to NBC. Those bone heads that made this decision without carefully planning it out can kiss their jobs good bye. I think the only way to resolve it is to leave everyone where they are now. Why do I picture this as the scene from Hancock where he stops the train with his body and derails the entire shit? I think the train is NBC as the main engine and Leno as the cargo with O'Brien standing on the track not budging.

[quote name='62t']so is jay keeping his own show? or is he getting the tonight show back?[/QUOTE]

If it's true that Conan said no and will take the buy out and leave, I'd assume Leno would just get The Tonight Show back.

[quote name='62t']so is jay keeping his own show? or is he getting the tonight show back?[/QUOTE]

it's up in the air right now. too many what if's.

[quote name='antlp89']If Conan leaves, Leno will have NBC in the palm of his hand.

$$$[/QUOTE]

hard to see who will be the winner of this outcome. If Leno is behind all this shit, he risks making an enemy out of Conan.

[quote name='crunchb3rry']NBC is a fucking desert wasteland of a channel though. Heroes is about all they air that anybody talks about. CBS and ABC shit all over NBC. Even Fox takes a dump on them, which is like the biggest insult ever.

Leno can have NBC. It suits him.[/QUOTE]

I think Conan has met with FOX secretly and wasn't pleased with their offer and that's why he's denying right now.

Heroes is getting boring as the show doesn't seem to have a direction right now.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']What has Leno said about all this? Does he support Conan or what? He has enough fucking money he needs to retire.[/QUOTE]

Dude, have you seen his car collection??!?!?! That's not a cheap hobby you know...he's gonna need money for quite a long time.

Leno is just keeping his mouth shut for the most part and letting this play out. I am starting to think Leno might be involved in this after all.

Leno has always been an asshole, that 10PM show was a cluster fuck of an idea. I hope Conan leaves and on the first night of Jay taking back the Tonight show, he's a guest on Letterman. Then a couple months later he has a new show elsewhere.

Jay Leno is a fucking revolting pig who doesn't deserve a hundredth of the fame and fortune he's acquired over his life, let alone the power to put NBC in such a shit spot.

fuck Jay Leno, fuck NBC.

[quote name='lorne']^If Leno leaves, I think Biden gets it.[/QUOTE]

Heh.

I don't know why NBC loves Leno so much. That fat chinned asshole needs to retire. No one thinks he's funny aside from the senior citizens that can't actually hear his jokes but instead, laugh at his deformed behemoth of a head.

I thought it was pretty damned clear he was gone from late night talk shows when he confirmed his retirement from the Tonight Show, but instead, the Jay Leno Shows appears from a shit storm and causes all these problems.

This reminds me of another time when Leno ruined things. Letterman was screwed from his rightful spot as the new Tonight Show host when Carson retired and now Letterman is kicking NBC's ass. Getting his just desserts. Sure, Leno can flaunt that he got better ratings during his run, but NBC as a network didn't suck then.

If Leno moves back into the 11:35pm time slot, Conan should leave. He'd be losing a lot of face because if he stays, it pretty much confirms that he's going to be Leno's bitch for the rest of career. Fallon? Who gives a shit, dude is not funny. His sketches run too long and his humor is so damned dry and monotonous.

How I see this playing out:
1. Leno moves to 11:35.
2. Conan quits and moves to FOX (I personally think that FOX better suits Conan's humor and antics).
3. Leno takes over the Tonight Show after Conan leave.
4. Unfunny Fallon retains his Late Night spot.
5. Carson Daly(sp?) is a douche.
6. NBC crumbles from all the fail.
7. NBC merges w/ the CW to make NCW.

[quote name='mis0']I don't know why NBC loves Leno so much. That fat chinned asshole needs to retire. No one thinks he's funny aside from the senior citizens that can't actually hear his jokes but instead, laugh at his deformed behemoth of a head.[/QUOTE]

Unfortunately you are wrong. I personally can't stand Leno either, but middle America loves him, it's not just the senior citizens. I'm fairly sure that until recently he was beating both Letterman and Conan in ratings.

[quote name='Mr Unoriginal']Unfortunately you are wrong. I personally can't stand Leno either, but middle America loves him, it's not just the senior citizens. I'm fairly sure that until recently he was beating both Letterman and Conan in ratings.[/QUOTE]

Yeah.. I know people love him but I could never understand why.

Leno did have higher ratings than Letterman but I personally think this was because NBC was arguably the network to beat when Leno started. People watched him then and he built a loyalty until his "retirement".

And of course, Leno is going to have higher ratings than Conan. Conan's show started at 12:30am when most people in this country were fast asleep. ;)

I still think NBC is going to shit pants over Conan leaving and figure something else out. If not, whatever, Conan will be better off elsewhere.

Leno had better ratings than Conan because he had primetime shows leading him in. Conan has Leno leading him in.

If Leno has so many fans, why is his show doing so bad?

[quote name='Trakan']I still think NBC is going to shit pants over Conan leaving and figure something else out. If not, whatever, Conan will be better off elsewhere.

Leno had better ratings than Conan because he had primetime shows leading him in. Conan has Leno leading him in.

If Leno has so many fans, why is his show doing so bad?[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

My local news in SoCal interviewed Leno fans asking why they didn't watch his new show and they all unanimously agreed that it was because there were better options at the 10pm time slot.

[quote name='mis0']Agreed.

My local news in SoCal interviewed Leno fans asking why they didn't watch his new show and they all unanimously agreed that it was because there were better options at the 10pm time slot.[/QUOTE]

Definitely true, all these late night talk shows get viewers because there's nothing better on.

Any of them would tank stacked along side other networks prime-time programming. How many people want to watch a talk show over their favorite drama or sitcom?

The Leno Show at 10pm was a stupid idea from the start. NBC thought people would tune in and they'd get decent ratings and could rake in advertising dollars with a show that cost MUCH less to produce than a sitcom or drama. But they didn't realize for some reason that relatively few people would watch a talk show over the other networks dramas and sitcoms.

Here's my idea. (Note: all my times are in central time zone, convert as needed)
Leno needs to quit NBC. He is getting screwed by them too, and from a video I saw of his last nights monologue, He isn't happy either.
They both go to Fox. Fox has an earlier news broadcast, still in primetime at 9. Leno gets the 10 pm slot (in Chicago it is filled with some stupid postnews interest stories that I don't think anyone cares about). This lets him follow the news again, which has an older demographic which his style is more liked by. His show should only be a half hour (better for him anyways because he is normally padding his show with stupid shit and it seems better for stand up guys to be on for a shorter amount of time. Less exposure means they stay fresher and don't have to come up with so much material.)
Conan then follows Leno again at 10:30. He gets the younger audience that he attracts and then potentially some of the older audience that likes Leno may follow.
Now Fox needs to not screw this up and give the situation what it desperately needs, TIME. Guarantee it for 2-3 years. Allow for Conan to mature at the 10:30 time slot, Leno's audience to grow on it (which Conan benefits from) and for the curious people to tune in. Conan is not used to having to pander for an older audience, he was able to get away with going younger at a later hour. He needs to pull a larger audience now, meaning older people. Give him time to hone what he does and grow (just as he did with his old show.) He did it once before and he can do it again.

From what I've heard of the contract Conan has, even if he goes to another network, NBC guarantees his 20million a year, so if someone offers him 15million, NBC will have to pony up the extra 5million.

To get some sweet sweet revenge on NBC, I would say that Conan should sell himself cheap to Fox for lets say $1 million a year, and then NBC would have to pay him the remaining $19 million a year...that would be awesome!

picture.php

Well it looks like Conan has said he will not follow Leno, in not so many words. He said he believes that delaying the show into the next day will damage the franchise or something.

[quote name='Rei no Otaku']What has Leno said about all this? Does he support Conan or what? He has enough fucking money he needs to retire.[/QUOTE]
TMZ was asking him and all Leno would say is that he has no idea whats going on. Of course he could just be lying about that but at this point I don't even think NBC knows what they are doing.

Jay Leno will get his one-hour show back, and it will be called "The Tonight Show".... sources tell TMZ.

We're told NBC honchos still have to sit down with Jay's rep and put the finishing touches on a new deal, but NBC has signed off on the plan if Conan O'Brien leaves ... and Conan has made it clear that he's leaving the network, and not on good terms.

O'Brien took several cheap shots at Leno in his blistering letter, denigrating Leno's show as a "comedy program."

Sources tell TMZ Jay and Conan have not spoken with each other since NBC announced the switch.

It's looking increasingly like Conan may be making a deal with Fox for a late night show from 11:00 PM to midnight.
http://www.tmz.com/2010/01/12/the-t...l-leaving-late-night-network-television-deal/

So Leno gets to keep 'The Tonight Show' name...

Hopefully we get confirmation on Conan moving to Fox soon.

bread's done
Back