Biggest CAG Shopping News 2009

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
Using the above polling system, please cast your votes for Biggest CAG Shopping News.
What was the biggest news in 2009 that effected (or will effect) your game shopping habits?

Last year's winner
Biggest CAG Shopping News: Circuit City Bankruptcy & Fall

Although many people like to see the powerful fall from grace, I think most CAGs regret having one less option for their game shopping needs. Sure, Circuit City subpoenaed CAG and tried (unsuccessfully) to sue one of our members, but they also had some great deals, especially in their Sunday ads. I'll miss your deals Circuit City, but the legal fees, not so much.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='CaptainJoel']The end of the Amazon ECA codes.[/QUOTE]

Hey what is ECA , I remember everyone used to talk about it . Is it a coupon book ?

[quote name='AndrewsAwesome4']Hey what is ECA , I remember everyone used to talk about it . Is it a coupon book ?[/QUOTE]

ECA was an internet group that when you gave away your Credit Card information to them, they gave you a coupon to use at Amazon to discount your video game software purchases 10%. Each month or so, the previous month's 10% could be stacked with the new months, so eventually you got upwards to 30% off all your Amazon video game software purchases which people can continue to exploit to this day.

Since no PS3 price drop was last year's, how about the PS3 price drop for 2009 as the nomination?

The whole ECA fiasco. The codes being over generated by members, when the ECA stopped offering them, and when the members had to continue paying for and renewing their memberships.

Circuit City Closing - sure it was kind of a shit retailer but they still had their deals and price matching and screwups that we took advantage of. I'm sorry to see the competition go in any industry.

Same with Game Crazy closings. They aren't gone yet but the writings on the wall...

[quote name='CheapyD']Please post your nominations for Biggest CAG Shopping News.
What was the biggest news in 2008 that effected (or will effect) your game shopping habits?[/QUOTE]

Cheapy, it says 2008 in the op, btw.

[quote name='tripredicus']Circuit City Closing - sure it was kind of a shit retailer but they still had their deals and price matching and screwups that we took advantage of. I'm sorry to see the competition go in any industry.

Same with Game Crazy closings. They aren't gone yet but the writings on the wall...[/QUOTE]

I completely forgot Circuit City closed in 2009. It seemed like it's been so much longer. Was going to go for ECA until I realized that CC closed last year.

ECA, hands down.

Need I need to remind everyone of Jabba the Hal?

jabbathehut1749957copy.jpg

If you're just talking about the CAG community, definitely the ECA fiasco. I really miss the 10% off at Amazon :(

But gaming in general, definitely the PS3 Slim/price drop

Wow, ECA is huge, but I think by far the biggest impact was left by Circuit City closing. 10% off of a $60 game is only $6, and Circuit City had a lot of sales that Amazon was forced to match. ECA was crappy because people took advantage of it by stacking codes among other things. Circuit City closing has and will have the biggest effect on anyone despite what anyone says about the ECA situation.

I nominate Amazon starting to accept game trade-ins. They had some really nice promotions when they started. Hopefully they continue to do so in 2010.

bread's done
Back