Transformers: War for Cybertron - Gen. Discussion & Info

I picked up my pre-ordered copy this afternoon from Rapestop and pondered flipping the three copies of Motorstorm: Pacific Rift I picked up from Sears over the weekend to them. But they only have that 'trade 3, get $10 extra' dealie going on now, so I would barely make 2x what I paid for each.:lol:

That is, unless I plopped in a Sudoku Ball Detective or two between two trades of them.

Anyway, for those getting this game there's a glitch involving the game data install and the patch(1.01) that's already up and ready to be downloaded as soon as you load up the game the first time.

It's been recommended by numerous people that you log out of PSN, then install the game data, then quit out of the game, log back into PSN and install the patch after installing the game data.

Otherwise there have been reported freezing issues.:cry:

I love the game so far.. however there is one major piece of the story in chapter one that's not right.

Chapter 1 is the fucking opening chapter of the game and you mean to tell me that they couldn't write a better scene where megatron interacts with Starscream.... Its like in 2 seconds... for no apparent reason.. Starscream is like "I'm a decepticon now" That scene was supposed to one of the most significant scenes in the history of all transformer events and this game just dismisses it in 2 seconds. Then in chapter 2 Starscream acts like he's never been a autobot before. I never really expect much from the story of video games... but damn for a game like this... there's so much of an established universe, writing a story for the game is really just a matter of good research and then staying consistent with your own story. If Starscream was an Autobot in chapter 1, and then he's on his first mission in chapter 2, then there should be some inner struggle "why am I doing this for Megatron" "I need megatron to show me howto use the dark energon" "I can't believe that he was strong enough to weild the dark energon" something...

The spoiler is in reference to the story in chapter 1 and the beginning of chapter 2

[quote name='Thomas96']I love the game so far.. however there is one major piece of the story in chapter one that's not right.

Chapter 1 is the fucking opening chapter of the game and you mean to tell me that they couldn't write a better scene where megatron interacts with Starscream.... Its like in 2 seconds... for no apparent reason.. Starscream is like "I'm a decepticon now" That scene was supposed to one of the most significant scenes in the history of all transformer events and this game just dismisses it in 2 seconds. Then in chapter 2 Starscream acts like he's never been a autobot before. I never really expect much from the story of video games... but damn for a game like this... there's so much of an established universe, writing a story for the game is really just a matter of good research and then staying consistent with your own story. If Starscream was an Autobot in chapter 1, and then he's on his first mission in chapter 2, then there should be some inner struggle "why am I doing this for Megatron" "I need megatron to show me howto use the dark energon" "I can't believe that he was strong enough to weild the dark energon" something...

The spoiler is in reference to the story in chapter 1 and the beginning of chapter 2[/QUOTE]Read your post on the Xbox 360 Thread. Did you get it for PS3?

It is $39 until end of week, at BB/FS/WM in Canada, which is tempting.... I have a backlog, but... I'd really like some feedback on how the single player story is? Is it cinematic, and interesting, or lame?

~S

[quote name='Thomas96']I love the game so far.. however there is one major piece of the story in chapter one that's not right.

The spoiler is in reference to the story in chapter 1 and the beginning of chapter 2[/QUOTE]

As a true Transformers fan I think what bothered me off the bat was the fact that the story takes place 1000 years before they head to earth. Yet, they all have their vehicle forms on Cybertron which we all know they attain only after they land on earth. I can understand why they would do this, because I'm sure no one would recognize Optimus or anyone else in their true robot form. Either way, this game recieved some great reviews by both gamers and ign so I will be picking this up.

[quote name='ItzTitoYo']As a true Transformers fan I think what bothered me off the bat was the fact that the story takes place 1000 years before they head to earth. Yet, they all have their vehicle forms on Cybertron which we all know they attain only after they land on earth. I can understand why they would do this, because I'm sure no one would recognize Optimus or anyone else in their true robot form. Either way, this game recieved some great reviews by both gamers and ign so I will be picking this up.[/QUOTE]

Watch the first episode of the Transformers cartoon (1980s G1 version) they did have vehicle forms they just werent earth vehicles.

So far this game is great ... i do think there should have been a little more with Megatron and Starscream in their first meeting. Oh well it was nice to see Jetfire hangin out with Starscream.

[quote name='TJFreeman']Watch the first episode of the Transformers cartoon (1980s G1 version) they did have vehicle forms they just werent earth vehicles.

So far this game is great ... i do think there should have been a little more with Megatron and Starscream in their first meeting. Oh well it was nice to see Jetfire hangin out with Starscream.[/QUOTE]

yeah youre right they did have vehicle forms on cybertron but they didnt have wheels they hovered. thats a surprise i didnt realize starscream
used to be an autobot.
is the whole games story original or are they using the comic books or cartoons to draw from?

[quote name='lokizz']yeah youre right they did have vehicle forms on cybertron but they didnt have wheels they hovered. thats a surprise i didnt realize starscream
used to be an autobot.
is the whole games story original or are they using the comic books or cartoons to draw from?[/QUOTE]

Starscreams origin as an autobot is referenced in at least one of the cartoon episodes.

[quote name='TJFreeman']seems like they are drawing from the comics, the cartoon , and even a little from the movie ( Brawl and Barricade) .[/QUOTE]

I wonder if they did that because most of the original decepticons were either guns, jets, or a cassette player w/ cassettes.

[quote name='paddlefoot']
Starscreams origin as an autobot is referenced in at least one of the cartoon episodes.

I wonder if they did that because most of the original decepticons were either guns, jets, or a cassette player w/ cassettes.[/QUOTE]

i wonder if its that one where jetfire first came back. dammit now i want to know.

I can't wait to get home and play some more of this. All my criticisims of the game is just me nitpicking. I'm nitpicking because I'm so much because I love the series... but otherwise its a great game and I don't want anything I saw to discourage anyone from picking the game up.

With that said... I really don't like the fact that I'm smashing crates open for energon and ammo... feels like 1990 or something.

[quote name='Thomas96']I can't wait to get home and play some more of this. All my criticisims of the game is just me nitpicking. I'm nitpicking because I'm so much because I love the series... but otherwise its a great game and I don't want anything I saw to discourage anyone from picking the game up.

With that said... I really don't like the fact that I'm smashing crates open for energon and ammo... feels like 1990 or something.[/QUOTE]
Please tell me there's at least some gunplay involved in each level and it's not like Transformers Tataki from overseas. I seriously considered importing that game because they had the G1 characters in it, until I found out by watching YouTube videos that you're mostly fighting clones of the lesser characters on either side(Ironhide on the Autobot side, clones of the jets on the Decepticon side) and largely using punches and kicks.

I'm definitely thinking of picking this up, but I want to know if the pre-order characters, given by Gamestop and Amazon, are attainable through in-game challenges?

I was initially worried since it took quite a while for reviews to come out, but I will be picking it up eventually. I don't think it will go down in price as fast as Activision's blur, but I can wait it out.

...How big is the install? I want to pick it up for my PS3, but my 60 gb is about full.

Thoroughly enjoying this so far. There's nothing groundbreaking or innovative but damn if it isn't fun. Just beat Chapter 3. I think my only issue with the game so far, aside from the occasional slow-down, is the instances where enemies are one-hit kills.

[quote name='pram12']No demo for PS3 as far as I've seen. No demo = no buy for me. I heard there is a demo on Xbox though?[/QUOTE]

Sorry but that's a pretty dumb reason. Especially since the demo was pretty watered down in terms of what you can do in it. The only thing it really does is give you an idea of how the controls work (which are great).

I really should've held off on buying this until I was 100% sure I was going to be into the style of gameplay. From the levels my buddy and his one niece were playing last night and this morning it's more or less a run n gun type shooter with a bug/glitch where you sometimes can't collect a health power up, even if you're super low on health.

I was kind of hoping they would've been able to make the combat be a little bit more unique, instead of maybe 1-2 melee moves(weapon each character has, maybe one 'bash' move from what I've seen)and the rest being just a straight up shooter.

Plus you're fighting off generic clones like in every other game. I would've thought with the 'zomg power of the PS3' that they would've been able to make it so you're fighting against recognizable enemies a better portion of the time. But as usual those battles are relegated to boss fights.

This game will probably end up on my trade list sooner than later since thus far I haven't liked what I saw as far as gameplay went. Although I have yet to play it myself, so maybe I'll end up liking it.

But I do wish they gave you the ability to free roam and not have the levels be so damned linear. I wanted to explore Cybertron.

Play the game before you form an opinion, thanks ;)

So far I'm enjoying the game. The shooting and enemies are a big repetitive, but at the same time the pacing is great. The chapters are broken up to the point that I'll be playing for an hour plus and the chapter ends and I'm like: already? Just finished chapter 5/Decepticon campaign. Looking forward to the Autobots campaign. Definitely need a CAG night for this sometime soon. I think what I like most so far is the pacing + what weapons you use on enemies at any given time. Most areas will have snipers you need to take out with regular bots on the ground around you which means you need to change things up a bit to get through.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']
But I do wish they gave you the ability to free roam and not have the levels be so damned linear. I wanted to explore Cybertron.[/QUOTE]

The level design is pretty good... to where you really feel like you're exploring Cybertron... I wouldn't mind an open world Cybertron but in this game you're in a WAR... there's not really much time to explore. Plus if you have to explore then the devs will create shops and I really don't want to buy upgrades and all that crap. Enjoy the game man!

I finished the Decepticon campaign and the first chapter of the Autobot one. I used Megatron, Starscream, Soundwave, Brakedown, and Soundwave in the 5 chapters. I didn't like Megatron's fusion canon since you can't drop it and it's slow. Starscream was the best. I liked Soundwave but you need to drop his repair ray since it's worthless in single player. Brakedown was fine, nothing great or awful about him. I used Soundwave against Omega Supreme for his defense ability (though it doesn't last long) and he starts with the Assault Rifle. Brakedown would have served just as well.

I played Optimus Prime and he is definitely my favorite character. He can't drop his Ion Blaster, but there's no reason to. It's basically an Assault Rifle but a bigger clip and ammo capacity (300). His vehicle has rockets (like Soundwave) which are useful.

You have to be mindful of ammo since it's not like other games where enemies drop it. They only drop shards which I think power up your abilities or ammo. You have to manage your ammo between your 2 weapons and vehicle weapon. Certain weapons are best in certain situations, and the best weapon is usually in the are where you need it. Like the rocket launcher that homes on vehicles is laying around where enemy jets come in and where there are snipers you'll find a scoped weapon.

Early on, it felt like some weapons were a lot better than others. The Neutron Assault Rifle felt like a pellet gun and require you empty a whole clip to kill one enemy. But I think collecting the energy shards from dead enemies, your weapons get stronger. Or maybe I'm just aiming at more vulnerable spots.

I don't mind there being no cover system. It's not necessary since there's plenty debris you can go behind and still shoot.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']This game will probably end up on my trade list sooner than later since thus far I haven't liked what I saw as far as gameplay went. Although I have yet to play it myself, so maybe I'll end up liking it.[/QUOTE]
Definitely play it since it's tons of fun. I really don't care whether I'm shooting at Thundercracker or some Decepticon Jet Drone when I'm playing as Optimus Prime.

But I do wish they gave you the ability to free roam and not have the levels be so damned linear. I wanted to explore Cybertron.
This is fine linear. They're in a war, so there's no logical reason for there to be an open world environment. Even though it's not free roam, you do get to explore a lot of Cybertron. It's not going from one ruined city block to another.

The ammo thing was another gripe of mine already. Then again, I'm not usually a precise shot when it comes to shooting games. I'm more of a sprayer and in this game you seem to run out of ammo pretty quickly if you aren't a good shot.

My buddy that was playing this last night kept running out of ammo and he normally plays nothing but shooters, but like was said already in most other shooters enemies drop ammo all the time.

The ammo is annoying at first but it's easy to adjust. The good thing about the ammo caches is they give you full ammo for all of 3 of your weapons. So make the most of it by using up everything before you get it.

At some points, you'll encounter enemies carrying turrets which you can take once you kill them. You can also detach turrets like in Halo.

I never really played much of Halo. I think I bought the triple pack from Kmart for $12 or so on clearance, tried out the first Halo, hated it and I traded in the set for $30-ish to Gamestop at the time.

But I did like how in Just Cause 2 you could detach the machine guns with infinite ammo from where they were and just walk through an army base lighting up everything and everyone with it.

It's not so much about conserving ammo but more a matter of resupplying smartly. If you still have 100+ rounds, don't resupply yet. Once you get used to that and survey the area for resupply crates you should be fine.

I'm in the second chapter of the Autobot campaign. I've not had many complaints about the AI until one section where Brutes fight you. I try to run around them but the allies follow me and the Brute follows them so I rarely get a good shot at their backpack. Having a friend would have helped. I think I'll finish the campaign by myself and then try it on Hard with some people.

If anyone is interested, PM me. I probably won't be doing it for another week. I'm gone until Thurs and I don't think I'll finish the Autobot campaign tonight.

[quote name='icedrake523']I'm in the second chapter of the Autobot campaign. I've not had many complaints about the AI until one section where Brutes fight you. I try to run around them but the allies follow me and the Brute follows them so I rarely get a good shot at their backpack. Having a friend would have helped. I think I'll finish the campaign by myself and then try it on Hard with some people.

If anyone is interested, PM me. I probably won't be doing it for another week. I'm gone until Thurs and I don't think I'll finish the Autobot campaign tonight.[/QUOTE]

Run up to a brute and max out your double-jump so that you go over them. Do a 180 in the air and melee as you'r coming down/hit the ground. 2-3 of those and a few shots should do the trick.

EDIT: anyone up for some co-op sometime? Tomorrow, Monday...doesn't matter.
EDIT 2: @icedrake523, definitely up for some co-op on hard next week.

[quote name='jman619']I rented this today. Pretty slow install from the normal installs. Now I can play. The install is finally over![/QUOTE]
It is a painfully slow install. It took about 10-15 minutes on my PS3(a slim) and the same on a friends' PS3(40 gb).

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']It is a painfully slow install. It took about 10-15 minutes on my PS3(a slim) and the same on a friends' PS3(40 gb).[/QUOTE]

It took longer than usual. I can't believe it! They finally made a good Transformers game.:drool:

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='icedrake523']Sorry but that's a pretty dumb reason. Especially since the demo was pretty watered down in terms of what you can do in it. The only thing it really does is give you an idea of how the controls work (which are great).[/QUOTE]

I don't see how thats a dumb reason. I want to play the game to see how it plays. I bought Shadow of the Collosus (spelling?) because everyone said it was amazing and stuff but I did not like it. I don't wanna get burned again. Is it dumb to be cautious?

It is kind of dumb because not every game gets a demo and that shouldn't be the reason for not buying it. Especially since some demos don't always give you an accurate perception of the game. People who got the Monster Hunter Tri demo said it was awful but still got the game and liked it a lot better.

[quote name='pram12']I don't see how thats a dumb reason. I want to play the game to see how it plays. I bought Shadow of the Collosus (spelling?) because everyone said it was amazing and stuff but I did not like it. I don't wanna get burned again. Is it dumb to be cautious?[/QUOTE]

Spend $4-5 and rent it.

It's not a dumb reason, especially in this day and age where games cost $60 and they can put a demo on the PSN for people to try, to give a snippet of the game. Yes, it won't be the most accurate representation of a game but it will give you an idea of the gameplay and graphics. But it can also sell people on buying the game as much as turn them off of it.

I don't know where you rent games, but it cost me $6 plus and I'm not going to rent something just to try it out. That would be an outrageous cost.

[quote name='pram12']I don't see how thats a dumb reason. I want to play the game to see how it plays. I bought Shadow of the Collosus (spelling?) because everyone said it was amazing and stuff but I did not like it. I don't wanna get burned again. Is it dumb to be cautious?[/QUOTE]
SOTC was good, but Ico sucked, yet everyone really raved about Ico as this great game that EVERYONE has to play.:roll:

Albeit the game enviro in SOTC was this largely empty world, save for the collosi. A beautiful game world, but largely EMPTY beautiful game world.:cry:

[quote name='Thongsy']It's not a dumb reason, especially in this day and age where games cost $60 and they can put a demo on the PSN for people to try, to give a snippet of the game. Yes, it won't be the most accurate representation of a game but it will give you an idea of the gameplay and graphics. But it can also sell people on buying the game as much as turn them off of it.

I don't know where you rent games, but it cost me $6 plus and I'm not going to rent something just to try it out. That would be an outrageous cost.[/QUOTE]

I don't rent games. I haven't for at least 5 years when the only rental store downsized and quit carrying games. They write game reviews for a reason and you can easily find people online who own the game and ask them what they think.

No demo should not be the only reason to never buy a game.

Anyway....

Can anyone compare this game to the awesome Melbourne House PS2 game?

I didn't buy the lame movie games, and I did play the JPN only one that Cheapest talked about (and it did suck...A LOT) but I loved the PS2 version that Melbourne House did, that game was a transformers game done right.

http://transformers.wikia.com/wiki/Transformers_(Melbourne_House)

So anyone who's played both have any comparison between the two and if I'll enjoy this one based on my experience with the older version.

[quote name='SynGamer']Spend $4-5 and rent it.[/QUOTE]

dont even do that. wait till a used copy comes into gamestop, buy it and if you dont like it, return it for a full refund with in their 7 day return policy.

shit i use them as a free rental service. i buy used, platinum it with in 6 days, take it back for a full refund. hahaha

bread's done
Back