* * * * * 8 votes

Anime & Manga Thread Vol. 2: Za Warudo!!!

#91 ChibiJosh   ChE CAG CAGiversary!   3863 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 03 July 2010 - 06:20 PM

Are you just sad that you might not be able to watch the whole thing for free? That would be pretty lame if that's the case.

Hey, I own lots of series that I first watched through with the fansubs.

The Utena license rescue is obviously my favorite news to come out of AX. Not to mention it's the remastered version, which looks absolutely beautiful. I'm particularly enjoying how the ANN and AnimeOnDVD forums are just going crazy over the news. Utena is such an amazing show, and now you don't have to be rich to own it anymore.

Yeah. I own the first DVD set with the first 13 episodes or whatever.

#92 tangytangerine   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4328 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

tangytangerine

Posted 03 July 2010 - 06:26 PM

Utena wasn't licensed to anyone? I thought maybe Sentai Filmworks grabbed it, since it was on Anime Network on Demand a couple months ago.

High School of the Dead was already licensed. :( I guess no fansubs for that.

That doesn't mean a fansub group won't try. Especially since AN will probably only put up just the 1st episode for free. Just look at Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou, it was picked up by Crunchyroll & Anime Network in the spring. But a couple fansub groups covered that series.

#93 Razzuel   People are idiots. CAGiversary!   1863 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Posted 03 July 2010 - 06:58 PM

Hey, I own lots of series that I first watched through with the fansubs.

Alright, I wasn't trying to be confrontational; I just wanted to make sure you're an upstanding citizen. ;)

The Utena license rescue is obviously my favorite news to come out of AX. Not to mention it's the remastered version, which looks absolutely beautiful. I'm particularly enjoying how the ANN and AnimeOnDVD forums are just going crazy over the news. Utena is such an amazing show, and now you don't have to be rich to own it anymore.

I'm definitely glad the remastered version of Utena is getting released here. I'll definitely be buying it when it's released. I'll also be buying Right Stuf's other license, Sora no Woto, since I enjoyed the show, though I hope Right Stuf releases a Blu-ray version, since it's one of the most beautiful shows I've ever seen.

The Texhnolyze, Haibane Renmei, and Lain rescues are great, since they are fantastic shows. I hope Funimation is able to get the Lain remaster that's getting worked on in Japan; that's the only way they're going to get me to re-buy that show.

My favorite news though was probably Funimation's announcement of A Certain Magical Index and A Certain Scientific Railgun. Those shows look amazing, and I've been hoping someone would pick them up.

#94 Kirin Lemon   世界を革命する者 CAGiversary!   5138 Posts   Joined 16.4 Years Ago  

Kirin Lemon

Posted 03 July 2010 - 07:08 PM

My favorite news though was probably Funimation's announcement of A Certain Magical Index and A Certain Scientific Railgun. Those shows look amazing, and I've been hoping someone would pick them up.

Index turned to crap almost immediately, and I've heard Railgun has way too much stupid filler. Might want to try before you buy.

#95 Razzuel   People are idiots. CAGiversary!   1863 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Posted 03 July 2010 - 08:02 PM

Index turned to crap almost immediately, and I've heard Railgun has way too much stupid filler. Might want to try before you buy.

Damn, that's not very reassuring. I guess I'll proceed with caution then.

#96 lilman   Only the ordinary. CAGiversary!   4616 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

Posted 03 July 2010 - 10:47 PM

I opened up the new Clannad English dub boxset, hoping that the box was twice the normal thickness because they included something cool inside, only to find it is a stackpack and the only reason it is twice the thickness is because of a styrofoam insert used to keep the stack in place. *sigh* This wasn't a bargain boxset, Sentai should have used better/smaller packaging.

Finished Dragon Ball (original series) seasons 1-4. It is better than I remembered, mainly because it doesn't have the painfully slow pacing I remember from DBZ. I'll have to pick up the 5th/final season when it is released at the end of July.

Finally going to restart Soul Eater. I had watched the first set (13 episodes) and then didn't start the next set because I knew the full series wouldn't be available until the end of July. But now I can start from the beginning and will receive the final set in time to watch the whole series straight.

#97 ChibiJosh   ChE CAG CAGiversary!   3863 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 03 July 2010 - 10:58 PM

I only have one disc of Ah! My Goddess left. I should finish that up tonight.
I wonder what I should start next... I want something shorter, 13-ish episodes, since I'm about the finish up a 50 episode series. I currently have To Heart, Air, Shakugan no Shana, and I think that's it for shorter series I haven't watched.

#98 oni_saru_sensei   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   317 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

oni_saru_sensei

Posted 03 July 2010 - 11:59 PM

Hey guys, there have been a number of license rescues announced at Anex. Nozomi/Rightstuf has licensed Utena. Funimation has rescued quite a few shows, Texhnolyze, Ai Yori Aoshi, Armitage III, Haibane Renmei, Hellsing (television series), Serial Experiments Lain, Tenchi in Tokyo, Tenchi Universe, the Tenchi Muyo! OVAs, and the Tenchi Muyo! movies. Also, Trigun Badlands Rumble has also been licensed by Funi and they are planning to give it a theatrical release, hopefully near me.

hell yeah!! Tenchi OVAs!!! I've been wanting to get those for a long time!!

Also maybe someone may know, but is there a new Fafner boxset that may come out? I wanted to buy the series but the boxset is oop and not sure whether buying each dvd seperatly is a good idea >.>

#99 Kirin Lemon   世界を革命する者 CAGiversary!   5138 Posts   Joined 16.4 Years Ago  

Kirin Lemon

Posted 04 July 2010 - 12:19 AM

Also maybe someone may know, but is there a new Fafner boxset that may come out? I wanted to buy the series but the boxset is oop and not sure whether buying each dvd seperatly is a good idea >.>

Fafner hasn't been license-rescued yet, so... no.

#100 oni_saru_sensei   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   317 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

oni_saru_sensei

Posted 04 July 2010 - 12:28 AM

Fafner hasn't been license-rescued yet, so... no.

oh boo >.< Hopefully it gets rescued someday!
Thanks for the answer!

#101 tangytangerine   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4328 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

tangytangerine

Posted 04 July 2010 - 01:41 AM

I opened up the new Clannad English dub boxset, hoping that the box was twice the normal thickness because they included something cool inside, only to find it is a stackpack and the only reason it is twice the thickness is because of a styrofoam insert used to keep the stack in place. *sigh* This wasn't a bargain boxset, Sentai should have used better/smaller packaging.

Sounds like the sub-only versions I have that Sentai released last year was packaged better. They came in standard 2-disc cases, at least that's what they came in when I bought them used. I don't know if that's their real cases, since I can't find any stores around me that carry them.

Has anyone seen Moonphase? I found someone locally that's willing to sell me the S.A.V.E. version of the set for $10. It seems to be a good deal, consider it sells for around $25-$30 new. Just want to know if I should pass on it or not.

Edited by tangytangerine, 05 July 2010 - 01:56 AM.
typo in 1st paragraph

#102 Razzuel   People are idiots. CAGiversary!   1863 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Posted 04 July 2010 - 02:10 AM

Has anyone seen Moonphase? I found someone locally that's willing to sell me the S.A.V.E. version of the set for $10. It seems to be a good deal, consider it sells for around $25-$30 new. Just want to know if I should pass on it or not.

Yes, and it's a great show. It's got an amazing visual style, a lot of funny moments, and the story is enjoyable enough. Also, I really enjoyed the English dub; Monica Rial is fantastic as always as Hazuki, and Jason Liebrecht is great as the lead character. I thought the second half was weaker than the first half, but overall I loved the show. You can't go wrong with Moon Phase for 10 bucks.

#103 Kirin Lemon   世界を革命する者 CAGiversary!   5138 Posts   Joined 16.4 Years Ago  

Kirin Lemon

Posted 04 July 2010 - 03:51 AM

It's dumb, shallow moe fluff. Oh, it also ends too early, and then spins its wheels on even dumber fluff to fill out the rest of the episodes. You could do much worse for $10, but it's pretty unremarkable in every possible way.

#104 Gden   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3237 Posts   Joined 17.3 Years Ago  

Posted 04 July 2010 - 06:44 AM

Btw, for anyone else who's been dragging their ass on buying Gurren Lagann (ignores KL in regards to this show) like I have, Bandai announced an anime legends collection for it coming out, WAIT I just realized it says July 6, 2010, that's either a typo, or really really awesome. Anyway, I thought I'd let everyone know that, and that it'll be their average price of $49.99. Also Netflix instant queue actually has it too, if you want to try it. Oh yeah, and I'm annoyed that Rightstuf is rereleasing The Wanderers remastered, because that makes me want to buy it even though I've had the pioneer release of the box set for a while (got it from that anime wholesale website years back forget its name)

#105 lilman   Only the ordinary. CAGiversary!   4616 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

Posted 04 July 2010 - 01:24 PM

Just a heads up, the last episode of season 2 makes no sense at all as it doesn't fit in with the timeline of the series. Whenever I rewatch the series (like I am right now) I stop at the episode before the last.

#106 Panda Wizardry   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2642 Posts   Joined 17.3 Years Ago  

Panda Wizardry

Posted 04 July 2010 - 03:14 PM

I have been introduced to some new shows thanks to Anime Network on Demand, at least whenever my cable provider actually has it up and running. Damn lamers.

There are my impressions after only watching an episode or two of each show.

Hidamari Sketch - It's basically a show about a bunch of girls attending a school that specializes in art. This shows needs to start going somewhere, or I'm going to have to stop watching. It's just kind of meandering so far, and not in a good way.

Gintama - This one shows some promise. It takes place in an alternate reality where you have aliens on Earth. The main characters just go around doing odd jobs to try and make some quick cash.

Eyeshield 21 - This one is intriguing to me because it's the 1st time I've seen a sport based anime show. It's about how a freshmen gets dragged into the football team after they notice how fast he is. It'll be interesting to see how they manage to meld the American sport with everything else.

Samurai Harem - The title kind of says it all in this one. A young guy who does samurai training in the mountains is sent off to live in the city with a bunch of girls. I'm sure you all know what happens next.

#107 Kuroi Kaze   Yes, I toss douches. CAGiversary!   901 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Kuroi Kaze

Posted 04 July 2010 - 10:05 PM

mostly done with S2 of airbender and its basically nothing special yet. feels like wheel of time for kids but that's not necessarily a bad thing. maybe the 3rd season will do something to wow me, but otherwise i'd just say it's a nice show.

it's a shame i hear the movie is such a crime against nature.

#108 Kimpz   MOE~ CAGiversary!   79 Posts   Joined 10.7 Years Ago  

Posted 05 July 2010 - 05:19 AM

Just finished Sengoku Basara in anticipation of Season 2, and for playing Devil Kings for the :ps2:

Date Masumane is definitely my favorite character.

Spoiler

My face waiting for Season 2 to start.

Edited by Kimpz, 05 July 2010 - 06:58 AM.

#109 ChibiJosh   ChE CAG CAGiversary!   3863 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 05 July 2010 - 06:47 AM

I watched the first episode of High School of the Dead. It seemed all right. I'll probably pick it up when it comes out.

#110 tangytangerine   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4328 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

tangytangerine

Posted 05 July 2010 - 06:50 AM

Razz & Kirin, thanks. I grabbed the set this morning and watched the first 2 episodes so far. It seems to be a decent series, although the opening song is pretty weird. It's mostly nothing but Hazuki saying "Kitty Ear Mode, Kiss or Meow" .

I have been introduced to some new shows thanks to Anime Network on Demand, at least whenever my cable provider actually has it up and running. Damn lamers.

Samurai Harem - The title kind of says it all in this one. A young guy who does samurai training in the mountains is sent off to live in the city with a bunch of girls. I'm sure you all know what happens next.

Do yourself a favor & read the manga after finishing the series.
Spoiler

Also, I didn't see it on your list. But they also started adding an english dub of the Golgo 13 tv series this week too.

#111 the_punisher   Dare enter the metro. CAGiversary!   3373 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

the_punisher

Posted 05 July 2010 - 11:37 AM

I wonder what I should start next... I want something shorter, 13-ish episodes, since I'm about the finish up a 50 episode series. I currently have To Heart, Air, Shakugan no Shana, and I think that's it for shorter series I haven't watched.

Air is a good show, not amazing but worth watching. Have you seen...

Elfen Lied
Jyu-Oh-Sei
Hellsing
Flag
Moonlight Mile

The first three I really liked and they're all 12-13 episodes. The latter two I haven't seen, but I know people like them and they're short.

#112 Bezerker   Bezerker Barrage! CAGiversary!   7076 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

Posted 05 July 2010 - 12:35 PM

Watch Elfen Lied first, one of the greatest anime ever made.

#113 Razzuel   People are idiots. CAGiversary!   1863 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Posted 05 July 2010 - 02:31 PM

Razz & Kirin, thanks. I grabbed the set this morning and watched the first 2 episodes so far. It seems to be a decent series, although the opening song is pretty weird. It's mostly nothing but Hazuki saying "Kitty Ear Mode, Kiss or Meow".

My favorite part of the opening is when Hazuki says, "Full, full, full moon!"

I watched the first episode of High School of the Dead. It seemed all right. I'll probably pick it up when it comes out.

Despite High School of the Dead's insulting presentation of women, I thought the first episode was really, really good. I quite enjoyed its realistic presentation of how despicable people would be in a situation like this, and I loved how gruesome the show is — it was executed well enough to be disturbing. The animation is fantastic so far; I hope it keeps this level of animation throughout the show. Also, I thought the Japanese voice actors did a great job, especially when there needed to be emotion in their voices.

#114 Kuroi Kaze   Yes, I toss douches. CAGiversary!   901 Posts   Joined 13.3 Years Ago  

Kuroi Kaze

Posted 05 July 2010 - 03:03 PM

Kino's Journey is one of the best anime I've seen and it's quite short. Seriously go watch this. It's a brilliant show with the kind of quality you don't see all that often.

#115 ChibiJosh   ChE CAG CAGiversary!   3863 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 05 July 2010 - 03:05 PM

Air is a good show, not amazing but worth watching. Have you seen...

Elfen Lied
Jyu-Oh-Sei
Hellsing
Flag
Moonlight Mile

The first three I really liked and they're all 12-13 episodes. The latter two I haven't seen, but I know people like them and they're short.

I haven't seen any of those, but I'm trying to concentrate on things I own and haven't watched right now.

Despite High School of the Dead's insulting presentation of women, I thought the first episode was really, really good. I quite enjoyed its realistic presentation of how despicable people would be in a situation like this, and I loved how gruesome the show is — it was executed well enough to be disturbing. The animation is fantastic so far; I hope it keeps this level of animation throughout the show. Also, I thought the Japanese voice actors did a great job, especially when there needed to be emotion in their voices.

I enjoyed it, but I'm not sure how it's going to stay interesting for 12 episodes. I'm really unsure of how the manga has managed to go for 5 volumes. Maybe I'll need to check it out.

#116 Kirin Lemon   世界を革命する者 CAGiversary!   5138 Posts   Joined 16.4 Years Ago  

Kirin Lemon

Posted 05 July 2010 - 03:13 PM

Watch Elfen Lied first, one of the greatest anime ever made.

If you like shit, yes.

I haven't seen any of those, but I'm trying to concentrate on things I own and haven't watched right now.

Not a huge loss, the only one on that list worth seeing is FLAG.

#117 GhostShark   The Drunken Whaler CAGiversary!   3143 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

GhostShark

Posted 05 July 2010 - 03:47 PM

Do not watch Elfen Lied under any circumstance. It's so bad I can't even explain it. If you need to get a dose of Elfen Lied, then read the manga. It's substantially better in almost every way.

#118 ChibiJosh   ChE CAG CAGiversary!   3863 Posts   Joined 15.5 Years Ago  

Posted 05 July 2010 - 04:04 PM

I was hoping we would be able to get a week without Elfen Lied coming up, but I guess it's my fault this time.

#119 the_punisher   Dare enter the metro. CAGiversary!   3373 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

the_punisher

Posted 05 July 2010 - 04:27 PM

I was hoping we would be able to get a week without Elfen Lied coming up, but I guess it's my fault this time.

Same. I think everyone here by now knows where everyone else stands on Elfen Lied.

Spoiler

If you own Air, watch it. The last few episodes make the rest of the show worth watching.

#120 Kirin Lemon   世界を革命する者 CAGiversary!   5138 Posts   Joined 16.4 Years Ago  

Kirin Lemon

Posted 05 July 2010 - 05:03 PM

I, too, enjoyed the first episode of High School of the Dead, though I felt a bit squeamish at times while watching. Oh, and the ridiculous amount of unnecessary upskirt and boob shots were really off-putting. Fuck you, Japan.