Anime & Manga Thread Vol. 2: Za Warudo!!!

[quote name='oni_saru_sensei']Also maybe someone may know, but is there a new Fafner boxset that may come out? I wanted to buy the series but the boxset is oop and not sure whether buying each dvd seperatly is a good idea >.>[/QUOTE]

Fafner hasn't been license-rescued yet, so... no.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Fafner hasn't been license-rescued yet, so... no.[/QUOTE]

oh boo >.< Hopefully it gets rescued someday!
Thanks for the answer!

[quote name='lilman']I opened up the new Clannad English dub boxset, hoping that the box was twice the normal thickness because they included something cool inside, only to find it is a stackpack and the only reason it is twice the thickness is because of a styrofoam insert used to keep the stack in place. *sigh* This wasn't a bargain boxset, Sentai should have used better/smaller packaging.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like the sub-only versions I have that Sentai released last year was packaged better. They came in standard 2-disc cases, at least that's what they came in when I bought them used. I don't know if that's their real cases, since I can't find any stores around me that carry them.

Has anyone seen Moonphase? I found someone locally that's willing to sell me the S.A.V.E. version of the set for $10. It seems to be a good deal, consider it sells for around $25-$30 new. Just want to know if I should pass on it or not.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='tangytangerine']Has anyone seen Moonphase? I found someone locally that's willing to sell me the S.A.V.E. version of the set for $10. It seems to be a good deal, consider it sells for around $25-$30 new. Just want to know if I should pass on it or not.[/QUOTE]

Yes, and it's a great show. It's got an amazing visual style, a lot of funny moments, and the story is enjoyable enough. Also, I really enjoyed the English dub; Monica Rial is fantastic as always as Hazuki, and Jason Liebrecht is great as the lead character. I thought the second half was weaker than the first half, but overall I loved the show. You can't go wrong with Moon Phase for 10 bucks.

[quote name='tangytangerine']Has anyone seen Moonphase? I found someone locally that's willing to sell me the S.A.V.E. version of the set for $10. It seems to be a good deal, consider it sells for around $25-$30 new. Just want to know if I should pass on it or not.[/QUOTE]

It's dumb, shallow moe fluff. Oh, it also ends too early, and then spins its wheels on even dumber fluff to fill out the rest of the episodes. You could do much worse for $10, but it's pretty unremarkable in every possible way.

Btw, for anyone else who's been dragging their ass on buying Gurren Lagann (ignores KL in regards to this show) like I have, Bandai announced an anime legends collection for it coming out, WAIT I just realized it says July 6, 2010, that's either a typo, or really really awesome. Anyway, I thought I'd let everyone know that, and that it'll be their average price of $49.99. Also Netflix instant queue actually has it too, if you want to try it. Oh yeah, and I'm annoyed that Rightstuf is rereleasing The Wanderers remastered, because that makes me want to buy it even though I've had the pioneer release of the box set for a while (got it from that anime wholesale website years back forget its name)

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I only have one disc of Ah! My Goddess left. I should finish that up tonight.[/QUOTE]
Just a heads up, the last episode of season 2 makes no sense at all as it doesn't fit in with the timeline of the series. Whenever I rewatch the series (like I am right now) I stop at the episode before the last.

I have been introduced to some new shows thanks to Anime Network on Demand, at least whenever my cable provider actually has it up and running. Damn lamers.

There are my impressions after only watching an episode or two of each show.

Hidamari Sketch - It's basically a show about a bunch of girls attending a school that specializes in art. This shows needs to start going somewhere, or I'm going to have to stop watching. It's just kind of meandering so far, and not in a good way.

Gintama - This one shows some promise. It takes place in an alternate reality where you have aliens on Earth. The main characters just go around doing odd jobs to try and make some quick cash.

Eyeshield 21 - This one is intriguing to me because it's the 1st time I've seen a sport based anime show. It's about how a freshmen gets dragged into the football team after they notice how fast he is. It'll be interesting to see how they manage to meld the American sport with everything else.

Samurai Harem - The title kind of says it all in this one. A young guy who does samurai training in the mountains is sent off to live in the city with a bunch of girls. I'm sure you all know what happens next.

mostly done with S2 of airbender and its basically nothing special yet. feels like wheel of time for kids but that's not necessarily a bad thing. maybe the 3rd season will do something to wow me, but otherwise i'd just say it's a nice show.

it's a shame i hear the movie is such a crime against nature.

Just finished Sengoku Basara in anticipation of Season 2, and for playing Devil Kings for the :ps2:

Date Masumane is definitely my favorite character.

datemasumane.png

My face waiting for Season 2 to start.

Last edited by a moderator:
Razz & Kirin, thanks. I grabbed the set this morning and watched the first 2 episodes so far. It seems to be a decent series, although the opening song is pretty weird. It's mostly nothing but Hazuki saying "Kitty Ear Mode, Kiss or Meow" .

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']I have been introduced to some new shows thanks to Anime Network on Demand, at least whenever my cable provider actually has it up and running. Damn lamers.

Samurai Harem - The title kind of says it all in this one. A young guy who does samurai training in the mountains is sent off to live in the city with a bunch of girls. I'm sure you all know what happens next.[/QUOTE]

Do yourself a favor & read the manga after finishing the series.
Because the anime falls apart in the last few episodes and ruins the story the manga had setup. The anime also tones down certain parts, like when someone gets kidnapped and starts getting disrobed.

Also, I didn't see it on your list. But they also started adding an english dub of the Golgo 13 tv series this week too.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I only have one disc of Ah! My Goddess left. I should finish that up tonight.
I wonder what I should start next... I want something shorter, 13-ish episodes, since I'm about the finish up a 50 episode series. I currently have To Heart, Air, Shakugan no Shana, and I think that's it for shorter series I haven't watched.[/QUOTE]

Air is a good show, not amazing but worth watching. Have you seen...

Elfen Lied
Jyu-Oh-Sei
Hellsing
Flag
Moonlight Mile

The first three I really liked and they're all 12-13 episodes. The latter two I haven't seen, but I know people like them and they're short.

[quote name='tangytangerine']Razz & Kirin, thanks. I grabbed the set this morning and watched the first 2 episodes so far. It seems to be a decent series, although the opening song is pretty weird. It's mostly nothing but Hazuki saying "Kitty Ear Mode, Kiss or Meow".[/QUOTE]

My favorite part of the opening is when Hazuki says, "Full, full, full moon!"

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I watched the first episode of High School of the Dead. It seemed all right. I'll probably pick it up when it comes out.[/QUOTE]

Despite High School of the Dead's insulting presentation of women, I thought the first episode was really, really good. I quite enjoyed its realistic presentation of how despicable people would be in a situation like this, and I loved how gruesome the show is — it was executed well enough to be disturbing. The animation is fantastic so far; I hope it keeps this level of animation throughout the show. Also, I thought the Japanese voice actors did a great job, especially when there needed to be emotion in their voices.

Kino's Journey is one of the best anime I've seen and it's quite short. Seriously go watch this. It's a brilliant show with the kind of quality you don't see all that often.

[quote name='the_punisher']Air is a good show, not amazing but worth watching. Have you seen...

Elfen Lied
Jyu-Oh-Sei
Hellsing
Flag
Moonlight Mile

The first three I really liked and they're all 12-13 episodes. The latter two I haven't seen, but I know people like them and they're short.[/QUOTE]

I haven't seen any of those, but I'm trying to concentrate on things I own and haven't watched right now.

[quote name='Razzuel']Despite High School of the Dead's insulting presentation of women, I thought the first episode was really, really good. I quite enjoyed its realistic presentation of how despicable people would be in a situation like this, and I loved how gruesome the show is — it was executed well enough to be disturbing. The animation is fantastic so far; I hope it keeps this level of animation throughout the show. Also, I thought the Japanese voice actors did a great job, especially when there needed to be emotion in their voices.[/QUOTE]
I enjoyed it, but I'm not sure how it's going to stay interesting for 12 episodes. I'm really unsure of how the manga has managed to go for 5 volumes. Maybe I'll need to check it out.

[quote name='Bezerker']Watch Elfen Lied first, one of the greatest anime ever made.[/QUOTE]

If you like shit, yes.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I haven't seen any of those, but I'm trying to concentrate on things I own and haven't watched right now.[/QUOTE]

Not a huge loss, the only one on that list worth seeing is FLAG.

Do not watch Elfen Lied under any circumstance. It's so bad I can't even explain it. If you need to get a dose of Elfen Lied, then read the manga. It's substantially better in almost every way.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I was hoping we would be able to get a week without Elfen Lied coming up, but I guess it's my fault this time.[/QUOTE]

Same. I think everyone here by now knows where everyone else stands on Elfen Lied.

I think it's really, really good. ;)

If you own Air, watch it. The last few episodes make the rest of the show worth watching.

I, too, enjoyed the first episode of High School of the Dead, though I felt a bit squeamish at times while watching. Oh, and the ridiculous amount of unnecessary upskirt and boob shots were really off-putting. fuck you, Japan.

I wish there were more upskirts! It really didn't bother me as much as some people. I feel like panty shots were half of anime in the 90s.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I wish there were more upskirts! It really didn't bother me as much as some people. I feel like panty shots were half of anime in the 90s.[/QUOTE]

More? Dammit, no! That would be awful; it's bad enough as it is.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I wish there were more upskirts! It really didn't bother me as much as some people. I feel like panty shots were half of anime in the 90s.[/QUOTE]

Either that's a joke or you're missing quite a few series. Seems like half the series that come out every season is nothing but that.

[quote name='Razzuel']More? Dammit, no! That would be awful; it's bad enough as it is.[/QUOTE]
I wish there were so many panty shots, my friend, that the girls don't even wear skirts! They just walk around in their panties always!

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']I watched Now and Then, Here and There today. It was very good. Definitely one of the better shows I've seen in a while.[/QUOTE]
One of the best shows ever.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I wish there were so many panty shots, my friend, that the girls don't even wear skirts! They just walk around in their panties always!

One of the best shows ever.[/QUOTE]

Just wait for the later episodes. Just wait.

I watched HOTD earlier this afternoon and despite enjoying the first few chapters of the manga some years/months ago, couldn't really get into it. The anime is just aiming to be a horror-themed Ikkitousen or Tenjo Tenge.

Also, I'm going to quote your entire post because I think it's great out of context.

[quote name='thelonepig']
Also, I'm going to quote your entire post because I think it's great out of context.[/QUOTE]
Well played, my friend. Well played.

I just finished watching the first episode of Occult Academy. I thought it was good, though it didn't have me entirely captivated like I was hoping. I liked the main character, Maya, and I absolutely loved her facial expressions, and the ending of the episode was awesome, but I wasn't particularly enamored by any other part of the show. I'm interested in watching more episodes to see how it progresses; perhaps it will get better and better as the show goes forward.

It's been many, many months since I first started watching Rurouni Kenshin, but I finally finished the show today — it took so long since I was only watching it when my friend was over. I enjoyed the show for the most part, though the ending was really disappointing. I didn't like the supernatural crap at the end of the show, and the ending episode was really weak. The best part of the show was definitely the Kyoto arc, and my favorite character was definitely Kaoru — I really, really liked her. It was a good show, but some of story arcs are hit or miss.

I also watched Samurai X: The Motion Picture. ADV's English voice cast was pretty awful; I quite enjoyed Bang Zoom's dub of the TV show, and it was quite jarring to here an entirely new voice cast that paled very, very much in comparison to Bang Zoom's efforts. The show itself wasn't any good either. I recommend that everyone skip the movie and just watch Samurai X: Trust and Betrayal and the TV show. I haven't seen Samurai X: Reflection yet, so I wouldn't know if it's any good or not.

[quote name='thelonepig']Just wait for the later episodes. Just wait.[/QUOTE]

Dammit, so you're saying the erotic bullshit is going to get even more prominent in later episodes? Ugh, I hope I have the resolve to ignore that shit, since the zombie apocalypse part of the show was so well executed. As long as it's not as bad as Omamori Himari, then I shouldn't be too disgusted.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I wish there were so many panty shots, my friend, that the girls don't even wear skirts! They just walk around in their panties always![/QUOTE]

That would just be weird. Can you not exercise your fantasies elsewhere? I don't want this particular zombie apocalypse tainted with that foul, unnecessary eroticism, though I already know I've ultimately lost, since I've heard about the source material. I guess you'll get what you're asking for later.

[quote name='Razzuel']
That would just be weird. Can you not exercise your fantasies elsewhere? I don't want this particular zombie apocalypse tainted with that foul, unnecessary eroticism, though I already know I've ultimately lost, since I've heard about the source material. I guess you'll get what you're asking for later.[/QUOTE]
In case you haven't caught on, I was being hyperbolic.

[quote name='Razzuel']
Dammit, so you're saying the erotic bullshit is going to get even more prominent in later episodes? Ugh, I hope I have the resolve to ignore that shit, since the zombie apocalypse part of the show was so well executed. As long as it's not as bad as Omamori Himari, then I shouldn't be too disgusted.[/QUOTE]
I can't believe you're making such a big deal out of this yet you bought an eroge called "Kana: Little Sister". They say the girl is 18, but she certainly wasn't intended to be that old.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']In case you haven't caught on, I was being hyperbolic.[/QUOTE]

Ah, alright then. Apparently I didn't catch that.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I can't believe you're making such a big deal out of this yet you bought an eroge called "Kana: Little Sister". They say the girl is 18, but she certainly wasn't intended to be that old.[/QUOTE]

Touché, my friend. Touché. It wouldn't be the first time that I've been a hypocrite, however, I will claim that I'm buying it for the story and not the erotic scenes, even though you're probably not going to believe me. Also, I'm not opposed to eroticism in general; I'm just opposed to High School of the Dead's eroticism.

Zombies are taking over. I'd want some big ol' knockers on my chicks. Its a pretty great alternative to seeing zombies.

Took a break from Moonphase to watch the first episodes of a couple of the new series debuting.

Ookami-san- Not what I was expecting from the people that did Toradora. Besides the fact that Ryouko looks like a taller version of Taiga w/ cat-shaped boxing gloves instead of a wooden sword. Really can't pin a story to the series yet, besides Ryouko being followed by Ryoushi. But hopefully it doesn't turn into one of those "who will we help this week?" type of series.

Seitokai Yakuindomo- I really don't know how to explain this series. It seems to be more about the jokes than story progress. But jeez, the jokes the girls tell get dirty especially since quite a few of them are about menstruation.

[quote name='Razzuel']Dammit, so you're saying the erotic bullshit is going to get even more prominent in later episodes? Ugh, I hope I have the resolve to ignore that shit, since the zombie apocalypse part of the show was so well executed. As long as it's not as bad as Omamori Himari, then I shouldn't be too disgusted.[/QUOTE]

Did it get that bad near the end? Seemed like it toned down most of it for the last few episodes. But I finished it a couple months ago, so it's been some time since I've watched it.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I wish there were so many panty shots, my friend, that the girls don't even wear skirts! They just walk around in their panties always![/QUOTE]

Strike Witches?

I watched (some of) the first episode of Occult Academy, and wow it is just one huge pile of crap. I said "some of" because I couldn't bring myself to finish it. It's one of the dumbest things I think I've ever seen, and doesn't really raise my hopes for a good summer line-up. I don't think I've ever not finished the first episode of an anime before, but Japan's hit a new low with this one.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Is Black Lagoon a good series? Or is it one of those shows that tries too hard to make an image for itself?[/QUOTE]

It's the equivalent of a summer blockbuster movie. You'll go in thinking it looks/sounds awesome. You'll likely be blown away by the non-stop violence and cursing. Then you'll walk out at the end chatting with your chums about how awesome it was when so-and-so did such-and-such. A few days later you'll likely have a difficult time recalling why it was you liked it so much.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Is Black Lagoon a good series? Or is it one of those shows that tries too hard to make an image for itself?[/QUOTE]

I definitely think it's the latter, but lots of people love it for some reason. I gave it another shot and watched the first episode of the new OVA, but that just reaffirmed everything I initially thought about the show. Black Lagoon revels in cliched, unoriginal ideas, and it has this ridiculous sense of nihilism about it that's extremely difficult to take seriously. It's like a somebody in high school tried to write something all dark and gritty, and Black Lagoon was the result. On top of all that, I loathe each and every character in the show.

So... yeah, Black Lagoon fucking sucks.

So, I am about halfway through GitS: SAC 2nd Gig and it's just ok to me. I loved the first SAC series, but this one just seems a bit off to me. I just would really like to see some more character involvoment with Saito or Pazu like in the graphic novels, but they are just kind of there. I will say that the english VAs are pretty decent in the GitS series.

It's good. It tries to be the next Cowboy Bebop, which it isn't, but it is still a good show IMO. Not in my top five, but I am glad to have it in my collection.

[quote name='thelonepig']It's the equivalent of a summer blockbuster movie. You'll go in thinking it looks/sounds awesome. You'll likely be blown away by the non-stop violence and cursing. Then you'll walk out at the end chatting with your chums about how awesome it was when so-and-so did such-and-such. A few days later you'll likely have a difficult time recalling why it was you liked it so much.[/QUOTE]

A very good description.

Overall, I really liked it, and I definitely forgot most of it, but I still remember the general idea of most of the arcs. I really should re-watch it.

As for KL's opinion, ignore him, it definitely does not suck. It's pretty damn awesome, actually.

Didn't realize until I listened to the commentary on an episode of Shin-chan that the Happiness Bunny was voiced by Jimmy Kudo. I knew it was someone familiar, but couldn't figure out who it was.

Black Lagoon is something I went in not expecting to like but its over-the-top ridiculousness won me over. Whenever badasses have ridiculous names like Rotton The Wizard or something, it can definitely wind up charming me.

The series hit a particularly hilarious high when the VA's are forced to speak in English. My girl and I nearly died laughing during that part it was so epic. I like it much better than Bebop and it only takes itself about as serious as Gunsmith Cats or something.

From ANN's previews, it looks like a very bad season right now. The only new series I might try at this point is Shi Ki, everything else looks bad or generic (except High School of the Dead, which sounds awesome but I'll wait for the dubbed release since it was already announced).

[quote name='GhostShark']So, I am about halfway through GitS: SAC 2nd Gig and it's just ok to me. I loved the first SAC series, but this one just seems a bit off to me. I just would really like to see some more character involvoment with Saito or Pazu like in the graphic novels, but they are just kind of there. I will say that the english VAs are pretty decent in the GitS series.[/QUOTE]

I re-watched both seasons last summer. first season is definitely better. I remember liking both the same but after last summer, season 1 is definitely the better one. Though season 2 is great just not as great as s1.

I always thought the english VAs for GITS were one of the best out there. I can't even watch it in Japanese because to me the Major's voice will always be Mary Elizabeth McGlynn!

[quote name='oni_saru_sensei']I re-watched both seasons last summer. first season is definitely better. I remember liking both the same but after last summer, season 1 is definitely the better one. Though season 2 is great just not as great as s1.[/QUOTE]
I agree, I thought that GITS:SAC S1 was much better than S2. S2 is still high quality and is worth watching if you enjoyed S1.

I'm curious to check out Ghost in the Shell 2.0. It's on netflix instant queue. Does anybody know the difference between it and the original. I also still need to check out Innocence. Being a huge GitS fan, I still can't believe I haven't seen it.

[quote name='GhostShark']I'm curious to check out Ghost in the Shell 2.0. It's on netflix instant queue. Does anybody know the difference between it and the original. I also still need to check out Innocence. Being a huge GitS fan, I still can't believe I haven't seen it.[/QUOTE]

Innocence is one of the absolute worst anime films I've ever had the displeasure of viewing. I imagine Mamoru Oshii just masturbating feverishly over how much sophomoric, nonsensical philosophical bullshit he managed to cram into the film in lieu of an actual plot. Just thinking about this movie fills me with rage and disappointment. fuck Mamoru Oshii and this terrible movie to hell.

Now that that's out of the way, regarding 2.0, they incorporated some really crappy CG into the "remaster". The original is better.

bread's done
Back