Anime & Manga Thread Vol. 2: Za Warudo!!!

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Just finished the first episode of Digimon Xross Wars. I like the look of things.

[/QUOTE]

WTF is this gestahlting digimon shit? Jogress evolution was fine, but WTF? Also boo to no koji wada sung opening. If they don't gestahlt then sorry, its just the lead digimon looks like a combination of others.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Innocence is one of the absolute worst anime films I've ever had the displeasure of viewing. I imagine Mamoru Oshii just masturbating feverishly over how much sophomoric, nonsensical philosophical bullshit he managed to cram into the film in lieu of an actual plot. Just thinking about this movie fills me with rage and disappointment. fuck Mamoru Oshii and this terrible movie to hell.

Now that that's out of the way, regarding 2.0, they incorporated some really crappy CG into the "remaster". The original is better.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I figured Innocence was pretty bad seeing how I didn't even now it existed until recently. That also sucks about 2.0, oh well, off the Netflix Queue you go!

I'm 9 episodes into Black Lagoon and it's not half bad. The premise and characters are actually interesting to me, but the bizarre encounters they run into are a bit of a turn off. Like this new maid character is just the stupidest thing they could of added to this show. Ruining it for me to be honest.

How is the 2nd season in comparison?

[quote name='Gden']WTF is this gestahlting digimon shit? Jogress evolution was fine, but WTF? If they don't gestahlt then sorry, its just the lead digimon looks like a combination of others.[/QUOTE]
I have no idea what you're saying...

[quote name='Gden'] Also boo to no koji wada sung opening. [/QUOTE]
I believe he sings the "evolution" theme.

[quote name='panzerfaust']I'm 9 episodes into Black Lagoon and it's not half bad. The premise and characters are actually interesting to me, but the bizarre encounters they run into are a bit of a turn off. Like this new maid character is just the stupidest thing they could of added to this show. Ruining it for me to be honest.

How is the 2nd season in comparison?[/QUOTE]

the 2nd season generally covers a plotline that finds the characters in japan.
the hilarity somewhat ensues if you're watching subs because now that they'r e in japan they can't have the characters speak japanese instead of english so now all japanese characters speak japanese and revy's va has to speak english to illustrate that she doesn't understand. it's good for some lulz. the actual story of what's going on is a bit of intrigue between yakuza and russian mafia and of course there's lot of shooting people.

[quote name='panzerfaust']I'm 9 episodes into Black Lagoon and it's not half bad. The premise and characters are actually interesting to me, but the bizarre encounters they run into are a bit of a turn off. Like this new maid character is just the stupidest thing they could of added to this show. Ruining it for me to be honest.

That retarded maid plotline made me throw my arms up into the air in frustration and almost give up on the show. The third season (the new OVA) is entirely based around that stupid character. Such a dumb show.

[quote name='Gden']Gestahlt = combining, ala zords from Power rangers, the constructicons, stunticons, and the like.[/QUOTE]

Then, yes, the whole thing is combining various Digimon hence DigiXros.

I miss season 1 and 3 where it was just a bunch of kids and digimon and they evolved regularly. No eggs, no combining.

The first arc of the second season will probably blow your mind, so be prepared for that.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']That retarded maid plotline made me throw my arms up into the air in frustration and almost give up on the show. The third season (the new OVA) is entirely based around that stupid character. Such a dumb show.[/QUOTE]

You're always so wrong, it's tiring :p

I'm glad there's been more discussion as of late. The anime thread used to be raz saying how awesome 90% of shows are and kirin saying how insipid/horrendous/cliche/etc 90% of shows are.

[quote name='thelonepig']I'm glad there's been more discussion as of late. The anime thread used to be raz saying how awesome 90% of shows are and kirin saying how insipid/horrendous/cliche/etc 90% of shows are.[/QUOTE]

90% of everything is crap, and anime is no exception. You know what's fucking great, though? Nana. Everyone needs to go out and watch Nana.

[quote name='thelonepig']I'm glad there's been more discussion as of late. The anime thread used to be raz saying how awesome 90% of shows are and kirin saying how insipid/horrendous/cliche/etc 90% of shows are.[/QUOTE]

I really hope it doesn't revert back.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']90% of everything is crap, and anime is no exception. You know what's fucking great, though? Nana. Everyone needs to go out and watch Nana.[/QUOTE]

Hopefully the writer comes back and finishes the series.

I just finished the first episode of Shiki, and I enjoyed it. I really love the character designs; they're vibrant, their eyes look crazy, and they have a lot of pointy features, such as their chins and whatnot. Megumi seems like a great female lead, and after the end of the episode, I'm definitely interested in how the show is going to progress. This might turn out to be my favorite show of this summer season. I'd recommend at least checking out the first episode on Funimation's website.

I watched the first Gurren Lagann movie, Childhood's End, yesterday, and I can't recommend it. It does have about 25 minutes of new footage, but it's not really worth it. Instead of actually making a proper movie they just cut the show up and stitched it together. There are some awkward transitions, and there's a part during the show where they basically fast forward through parts of the TV show, such as when the Simon and friends meet The Black Siblings. In the end, they've created a movie that's really only for the people that have already seen the TV show, but there's not enough new and interesting material here to satisfy those people either.

Also, I finally finished watching Nodame Cantabile. I loved it despite its flaws. Nodame Cantabile's biggest flaw is that there are too many still scenes; I guess J.C. Staff didn't have a good enough budget when they were making this show. The best part about the show is its characters; they're realistic, they have depth, and they're very interesting. The two lead characters, Chiaki and Nodame, were my favorites. I definitely recommend people check it out, especially if you like classical music, romances, and a good bit of comedy. Hopefully Animax picks up the two sequels, since I loved the English dub. Some of the background characters had recurring voices, which always annoys me, but the rest of the voice cast does a fantastic job, especially Doug Erholtz as Chiaki and Kate Higgins as Nodame. There are some parts of the show where Kate Higgins sings and it's amazing.

Apparently Youtube can already tell Nodame Cantabile is owned by Sony, so this clip will probably disappear soon. You should watch it as soon as possible.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WJscIwujtQ

[quote name='Razzuel']I definitely recommend people check it out, especially if you like classical music, romances, and a good bit of comedy.[/QUOTE]

Sounds a lot like Kanon, but
non-supernatural
, and for some reason worse.

Just ordered Ouran High School host Club. I watched the first couple of episodes on FUNI's site, but the ads/bad player got on my nerves after awhile.

The show itself is better than I thought it would be. It's a little slow, but unlike a lot of comedy anime actually makes me laugh, and it's made by Bones, and it has a good opening.

[quote name='the_punisher']Sounds a lot like Kanon, but
non-supernatural
, and for some reason worse.[/QUOTE]

Uh, no. It's nothing like Kanon.

[quote name='the_punisher']Just ordered Ouran High School host Club. I watched the first couple of episodes on FUNI's site, but the ads/bad player got on my nerves after awhile.

The show itself is better than I thought it would be. It's a little slow, but unlike a lot of comedy anime actually makes me laugh, and it's made by Bones, and it has a good opening.[/QUOTE]
Ouran is a fun series and it maintains its quality through to the end (except for an episode or two
the episodes involving the Lobelia Academy were annoying
). I've heard that the anime covers the majority of the manga series so you are getting the full Ouran experience.

[quote name='the_punisher']Ergo Proxy opinions? It's $22 for the set on Amazon right now.[/QUOTE]

I finish nearly 100% of the anime I start and I couldn't get through Ergo Proxy. It just seemed to hide too much in the dark and be a bit nonsensical which is a shame because it had a style I was diggin'.

[quote name='the_punisher']Ergo Proxy opinions? It's $22 for the set on Amazon right now.[/QUOTE]

It's my personal favorite anime, I thought it was amazing.

I finally got around to finishing The Tatami Galaxy. I thought it was amazing. It has an incredibly interesting premise, and the show completely follows through with it. I thought the main character's development over the course of the show about college and life itself was fantastic. There's plenty of symbolism and metaphors, and I think I've missed a good chunk of it from my first viewing. It's already hard enough reading the subtitles, since the main character speaks incredibly fast. There are some episodes that are hilarious, especially episode six, which is on par with the hilarity from Goldenboy and Fumoffu. Also, the visual style is unique and deserves some recognition; it may seem simple, but its use of color and the style itself sets it apart from everything else. Hopefully Funimation gets the rights for a DVD and Blu-ray release; I want to own it, and I'd love to see how they would produce an English dub for a show like this.

Does anyone here know why they never made the third season of School Rumble? I know they produced the final two episodes of the third season, but why did they cancel the rest of the season?

[quote name='Razzuel']Uh, no. It's nothing like Kanon.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, definitely not like Kanon. Unless there's a horror version with vampires in it that I don't know about.

After waiting nearly 4 weeks, finally got my R2 copy of Evangelion 2.0 in the mail yesterday. Definitely not what I was expecting them to do with the 2nd movie. While Evangelion 1.0 essentially followed the tv series, this one takes a different route w/ some of the characters. Hopefully Funimation will announce an english dub of this soon.

I liked that they have Rei & Asuka get closer to Shinji in different ways up until both nearly get killed. Also I'm glad that they put Asuka in the hidden angel Unit 4 instead of Toji. Because if they still go through with the whole "momma" phase with Asuka, it'll make more sense. The way Rei is at the end feels like they're going the romantic relationship way with her in Shinji. Since he nearly dies to bring her back from giving up and I assume having different Rei take over.

I really didn't like the new female pilot that they introduced. She really doesn't fit the feel of being a EVA pilot with her issuing commands like a G Gundam fighter. The way she introduced in a somewhat crippled unit 5 at the beginning seemed fine until they revealed the typical teenage-anime characteristics she has.

Watching this also makes me wondering if the movies are maybe a sequel to Neon Genesis Evangelion & End of Evangelion. Since there's elements that happened in End of Evangelion in this movie. The blood on the moon & the whole sea being red happened in End of Evangelion and were not explained in 1.0 or 2.0. So maybe this world is the recreation that Rei wanted Shinji to have in EoE? It would also kinda explain why Rei & Asuka become a lot more friendlier with him.

Last edited by a moderator:
My 2 cents on the pages of backlog I just caught up on.
1. I, too, didn't realize that Happiness Bunny was Jimmy Kudo. That disappoints me because I love Happiness Bunny and watched a good share of Case Closed when it was on tv.

2. Black Lagoon is the greatest anime ever and I wish it had the physical form of a woman so I could make love to it!

3. Huh... Digimon season 5. I like the art style. I was pretty disappointed that they went with generic anime look for season 4, so this one is nice. It has the traditional style, but drawn like the modern animes.

Tried out some Soul Eater tonight...uhhh....I have no idea what to make of this so far but damn there are too much boobies. I had to explain to my wife why nosebleeds kept happening.

[quote name='Chronis']
2. Black Lagoon is the greatest anime ever and I wish it had the physical form of a woman so I could make love to it![/QUOTE]

I'm sure you could get a Revy body-sized pillowcase.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']Tried out some Soul Eater tonight...uhhh....I have no idea what to make of this so far but *** there are too much boobies. I had to explain to my wife why nosebleeds kept happening.[/QUOTE]

It lightens up quite a bit after the first few episodes when they're introducing Blair, but comes back briefly around the end of the first season.

I finished watching Rumbling Hearts. I think it's really good, but I probably shouldn't have watched something so tragic and depressing while I'm sick. It's a dramatic romance, and it's great because it's a mature, realistic story. All of the characters are flawed like real people, and they act how I would imagine people would act in a situation like this. However, I absolutely hate the ending of the show; I think it's quite awful, actually.
I hate Mitsuki; she's such a selfish, traitorous bitch, and I hated that Haruka and Takayuki said goodbye, so Takayuki could be with that jerk, Mitsuki.
So, I was pleased to notice that there was an OVA made that tells an alternate ending — it's called Rumbling Hearts: Next Season. Unfortunately Funimation hasn't licensed it, so I had to search for some fansubs. Thankfully the fansubs that I found were seemingly professional. As for the OVA itself, it is a much, much, much better ending. It's by no means perfect, but it's satisfying, and it's how the show should have originally ended. I especially loved that part at the end of the OVA where
Haruka asks Takayuki to meet her in front of the train station, which was where the accident took place. It felt like they were both conquering their fears, and it was analogous to when they started anew back in high school under that big tree.
It was a very, very fitting ending.

I've finished stages 1-5 of Code Geass: Lelouch The Rebellion. Really liking it so far. Will watch stages 5-9 next, then I gotta buy the rest of the DVDs so I can finish it.

I plan to work on Death Note shortly.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']Tried out some Soul Eater tonight...uhhh....I have no idea what to make of this so far but damn there are too much boobies. I had to explain to my wife why nosebleeds kept happening.[/QUOTE]
At least the boobies in Soul Eater are used as part of the humor rather than simply fan service.

I didn't get the full understanding of nosebleeds until I watched a commentary by an anime script translator (can't remember what series the commentary was from... might have been Negima!). I always knew what it meant, but I never connected the "blood flow" analogy :p

so I watched the first disc of Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle season 1 about last x-mas or maybe last summer can't remember. thought it was pretty boring. should I finish watching it or should I just leave it in the closest? does it get better?!

[quote name='Bezerker']I'm sure you could get a Revy body-sized pillowcase.[/QUOTE]

I could... but Revy is such a badass, she would break my dick off. Even in pillow form.

[quote name='oni_saru_sensei']so I watched the first disc of Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle season 1 about last x-mas or maybe last summer can't remember. thought it was pretty boring. should I finish watching it or should I just leave it in the closest? does it get better?![/QUOTE]

I am a big Clamp fan and though Tsubasa and XXXHolic were an interesting experiment in manga form and had a lot of potential.

Then I wound up watching both animes and liking neither that much. :\

[quote name='Chronis']I could... but Revy is such a badass, she would break my dick off. Even in pillow form.[/QUOTE]

Yea, I dont think I would suggest Roberta, Fryface, or that freaky twin either. I think the softest chick in the series is probably Rock.

[quote name='Bezerker']Yea, I dont think I would suggest Roberta, Fryface, or that freaky twin either. I think the softest chick in the series is probably Rock.[/QUOTE]

I'd hit it.

[quote name='Bezerker']Yea, I dont think I would suggest Roberta, Fryface, or that freaky twin either. I think the softest chick in the series is probably Rock.[/QUOTE]

I really don't like where this conversation is headed...

i have to say the most endearing thing about Soul Eater so far is Soul's constant use of the world cool. this isn't cool, that isn't cool, a cool guy like me should be here, this is a fittingly cool situation for someone cool like me to be in, etc....it sounds stupid but i find myself working and thinking "kono wa zenzen kuuru jya ne" when stuff isn't working right.

[quote name='Bezerker']I think the softest chick in the series is probably Rock.[/QUOTE]
Heh, now I wanna rewatch the Black Lagoon omakes...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-u4y00JWgsU

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']I'm 10 episodes into Utawarerumono and I'm liking it a lot more than I thought I was going to like it. A very good series so far.[/QUOTE]

It's a pretty great series. It reminded me a lot of Suikoden in the beginning.

Also, Highschool of the Dead episode 2: Awesome, but the nurse fanservice finally went too far. Really, the only thing that bothers me are the boing noises she makes whenever she moves.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Also, Highschool of the Dead episode 2: Awesome, but the nurse fanservice finally went too far. Really, the only thing that bothers me are the boing noises she makes whenever she moves.[/QUOTE]

Episode two of High School of the Dead was good, but it wasn't as good as the first episode. The show needs to keep things moving forward to stay interesting, so hopefully the next episode does just that. This episode wasn't as overtly obnoxious as the first episode, but that nurse is an absolutely awful character. It's disgusting how large her breasts are, she's an insult to women, and the boing noise that plays everytime her breasts move is incredibly stupid.

[quote name='Razzuel']It's disgusting how large her breasts are, she's an insult to women[/QUOTE]
So, women who actually have (very) large breasts are also an insult to women? I agree they're disgusting.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']So, women who actually have (very) large breasts are also an insult to women? I agree they're disgusting.[/QUOTE]

No, where did I say that? I didn't say why I thought she was an insult to women; all I said is that she is an insult to women. She is an insult to women because of how she is characterized. She's incredibly stupid and helpless; she's materialistic and only cares about her appearance, even in the face of death; and her only quality that the show displays as being valuable is her sex appeal, such as her breasts.

[quote name='Razzuel']No, where did I say that? I didn't say why I thought she was an insult to women; all I said is that she is an insult to women. She is an insult to women because of how she is characterized. She's incredibly stupid and helpless; she's materialistic and only cares about her appearance, even in the face of death; and her only quality that the show displays as being valuable is her sex appeal, such as her breasts.[/QUOTE]

I got a feeling that she'll be killed off before the show ends. She seems like just she's just put in there for panty & breast shots. At least the other three girls try to add something to the story.

I watched a few more shows that have debuted for the season. So far, I really haven't been that impressed with what's debuting this season.

Shiki- I really don't know what to make of it yet. I'll have to watch a couple more episodes, since it really didn't tell that much in the 1st episode. I do have a feeling
that the girl that died at the end will be a vampire later in the series.

Asobi ni Iku yo-
This is kinda what I expected from AIC. It has fanservice in it, but seems to have a somewhat mature tone to it compared to other "mysterious alien girl" shows in the past. It's kinda weird that every girl Kio talks to, except Eris,
turns out to be a spy working for someone.
I guess they had to change it somehow to be a different harem show. This will probably be the one that I stick with for the season, since it has a lighter tone compared to other shows.

So I have The Complete School Rumble series and OVA, Pumpkin Scissors and Abenobashi. What do I watch first? The winner goes on my trip to Florida with me.

[quote name='GhostShark']So I have The Complete School Rumble series and OVA, Pumpkin Scissors and Abenobashi. What do I watch first? The winner goes on my trip to Florida with me.[/QUOTE]
School Rumble!

You're going to want to bring anime with you, FL is f*ing hot right now (I live near Orlando).

bread's done
Back