Anime & Manga Thread Vol. 2: Za Warudo!!!

Whoa, Bandai just announced at Anime Expo that they've licensed K-On!. That's fantastic that it's getting released over here, but I'm going to miss the Animax dub. Hmm, I wonder if Sony is going to release a Hong Kong version of K-On! like they did with Nodame Cantabile because that would be especially awesome; if not, then I'll just buy Bandai's release.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']And here's the trailer for High School of the Dead for anyone who hasn't seen it:[/QUOTE]

Am I the only person bothered by High School of the Dead's fixation on large breasts? It seems quite unnecessary, and I think it's insulting.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Razzuel']Am I the only person bothered by High School of the Dead's fixation on large breasts? It seems quite unnecessary, and I think it's insulting.[/QUOTE]

Yes... yes you are. Watching the trailer, there was only one character that had some big ole unrealistic anime boobs. The rest seemed somewhat normal. Of course, they were jiggling all over the place, regardless of size. But given that zombies tend to be a guy thing, I think it's safe to say HSotD is going to have a largely male audience. Dudes like boobs.

[quote name='chronis']yes... Yes you are. Watching the trailer, there was only one character that had some big ole unrealistic anime boobs. The rest seemed somewhat normal. Of course, they were jiggling all over the place, regardless of size. But given that zombies tend to be a guy thing, i think it's safe to say hsotd is going to have a largely male audience. Dudes like boobs.[/quote]

+1

[quote name='Chronis']Yes... yes you are. Watching the trailer, there was only one character that had some big ole unrealistic anime boobs. The rest seemed somewhat normal. Of course, they were jiggling all over the place, regardless of size. But given that zombies tend to be a guy thing, I think it's safe to say HSotD is going to have a largely male audience. Dudes like boobs.[/QUOTE]

Nah, that petite, pink-haired girl had huge breasts, and they were drooping way too much. It was quite jarring and disingenuous. Also, I don't have anything against breasts, but their presentation in this zombie apocalypse really fucking irks me.

[quote name='Razzuel']Nah, that petite, pink-haired girl had huge breasts, and they were drooping way too much. It was quite jarring and disingenuous. Also, I don't have anything against breasts, but their presentation in this zombie apocalypse really fucking irk me.[/QUOTE]

I agree. The rest of the show looks interesting, but all the emphasis on boobies leaves me skeptical and annoyed.

The manga is the same way, its just zombies and fan service. The one character is suppose to be based on an over the top Kouta Hirano.

The High School of the Dead anime (judging by the trailer) look just how I would of pictured it after reading the manga. It's not the greatest idea for a zombie story, but it fills its purpose on the entertainment side of things.

[quote name='tangytangerine']Definitely not the start NIS was looking for as their first anime releases in NA.[/QUOTE]
Yes it leaves a bad impression because they need replacing, but it's very encouraging to see that they will be replaced. Some other companies just ignore the problem, and I think that kills consumer confidence a lot quicker.

Actually, now that you mention it, didn't Raz like that show about panties in middle school or some such nonsense....? :shock:

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Raz does tend to like anime where the girls are flat and/or creepily young.[/QUOTE]

Aww, come on; that's not very nice. I like normal, legal-aged girls, thank you.

[quote name='Chronis']Actually, now that you mention it, didn't Raz like that show about panties in middle school or some such nonsense....? :shock:[/QUOTE]

No.

[quote name='Razzuel']Chu-Bra is a strange show, and I don't recommend it. It presents itself as being something like a coming of age story for girl's underwear. Chu-Bra contains educational information on girl's underwear, but I'm not entirely sure how accurate its "educational" information is, and the show does present itself as being sincere on average, however, the show also delves into sexualizing these middle school girls through scenes filled with breasts and panty shots, which is unnerving, and it spoils whatever credibility they were trying to achieve or maintain.
[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Razzuel']
No.[/QUOTE]

But you did like Koi Kaze. =P

I guess my love for Cardcaptor Sakura is only slightly less creepy though.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']But you did like Koi Kaze. =P

I guess my love for Cardcaptor Sakura is only slightly less creepy though.[/QUOTE]

The difference is that Cardcaptor Sakura is fucking fantastic.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Anyone planning on checking out any of the summer anime? I think I need to see High School of the Dead. There's also some anime based on a dating game, and those are usually a good time.[/QUOTE]

I'm going to check out Ookami-san to Shichinin no Nakama-tachi & Asobi ni Iku yo. A few people have already seen Ookami-san and said that it reminds them of Toradora(it's animated by the same studio). As for Asobi ni Iku yo, it looks like something that could be enjoyable. It's from the same studio that did a series I'm watching now on Hulu, My Bride is a Mermaid(wtf is up with Funi's english dub?).

High School of the Dead looks like I might check out eventually. Although not right as it airs. The list for summer doesn't really look that good. Although there's a couple in the Fall that I'm looking forward to.

So I finished S1 of Avatar tonight and started into S2. It's not a bad show, but it's fairly predictable thus far. People have kind of taken sudden and large jumps in ability but I don't really mind that since it keeps things moving.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']The difference is that Cardcaptor Sakura is fucking fantastic.[/QUOTE]

^ this.
Cardcaptor sakura was epic, and just long enough to tell the story properly but not so long it got tiresome.

I've given up on Clannad for now, made it through 4 eps, but its quite slow and I feel almost dirty watching it because even though its probably not very hentai-ish, its got that hentai game look & music.

So instead I am watching Cazador De La Bruja. I think i mentioned it before, but its basically Trigun with chicks. Girl bounty hunter who's bounty is a genetically modified girl that has special powers ends up being enlisted to take care of her instead. Its nothing special, but its not boring or terrible either.

In non-anime talk, I too started up Avatar. I had a hard time convincing myself to watch it with all the hype and the fact that its a Nickelodeon show, but when you think about it, Invader Zim, Ren & Stimpy, Rocko's Modern life and Ahh Real Monsters were all Nickelodeon shows as well. I am 13 episodes in and I do like it quite a bit. The humor is a bit cheezy, but I guess that is par for the course. I've got the complete series now, so I'll probably rotate Avatar and Cazador.

[quote name='tangytangerine']I'm going to check out Ookami-san to Shichinin no Nakama-tachi & Asobi ni Iku yo. A few people have already seen Ookami-san and said that it reminds them of Toradora(it's animated by the same studio). As for Asobi ni Iku yo, it looks like something that could be enjoyable. It's from the same studio that did a series I'm watching now on Hulu, My Bride is a Mermaid(wtf is up with Funi's english dub?).

High School of the Dead looks like I might check out eventually. Although not right as it airs. The list for summer doesn't really look that good. Although there's a couple in the Fall that I'm looking forward to.[/QUOTE]
I checked out the first episode of Ookami-san the other night. The animation was definitely Toradora-like. I don't really know about story because I haven't seen Toradora yet.

[quote name='the_punisher']Wow, with all the praise on Cardcaptor Sakura I figured I'd look it up...

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cardcaptor-SAKU...DVD_Blu_ray&hash=item4150b6ea7e#ht_500wt_1074

http://cgi.ebay.com/Cardcaptor-Saku...VD_Blu_ray&hash=item5d288a125a#ht_2615wt_1057

On second thought, it doesn't look that good :cold:[/QUOTE]
Yeah. I'm so glad I bought those DVDs as they were coming out. You could always pick up the re-release of the manga that's coming out.

Funimation just needs to license rescue CCS (I already own the book collections). If they release it in $50 collections, it would sell like crazy-cakes.

I don't think we'll ever see a re-release of the CCS anime like we'll never see the Sailor Moon anime again (another one that I'm glad I bought when it came out... except for SuperS).

[quote name='The Mana Knight']Anyone register for Otakon yet? I just got my confirmation a few days ago that I'm registered. Can't wait to go. I'll probably go for 2-3 days.[/QUOTE]
I wasn't planning on going, but if I could bunk with you... :D

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I wasn't planning on going, but if I could bunk with you... :D[/QUOTE]It will be the first time I ever went. I'll probably go alone.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I'll probably go alone.[/QUOTE]

BURNED.

I'll be there as well, my first anime con, and second con (NYCC last year being my first).

agree with Chibi on this one. i've been to 10-12 cons (majority 1997-2003) but i've always went with at least 5 people. i imagine they'd be totally different by yourself. guess it depends on how much of an extrovert/good looking you are.

[quote name='the_punisher']BURNED.

I'll be there as well, my first anime con, and second con (NYCC last year being my first).[/QUOTE]Maybe you'll meet up with me there sometime. ;)

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']agree with Chibi on this one. i've been to 10-12 cons (majority 1997-2003) but i've always went with at least 5 people. i imagine they'd be totally different by yourself. guess it depends on how much of an extrovert/good looking you are.[/QUOTE]I'll put it this way. I'm going to Otakon because I love anime, and I live around 20 or so minutes from it.

As for why I'm going alone, it's because of a few reasons:
-A co-worker friend of mine who likes anime is probably going this year (went last year), but with his girlfriend.
-I have a bunch of CAG/online friends in the area going, but most are already with a group (like the ones I met with in real life already).
-I have only lived in the area for just a year and don't know all that many people, outside of mostly co-workers who don't care for anime.
-The one person who might girl is this girl who likes me (and I like her) because she's really into anime, but I haven't seen her at the place she works at in a long time.

I do tend to go to theme parks and malls alone, so it's not a big issue.

I have yet to decide whether I'll cosplay. If I don't, I'll wear a Death Note, Kingdom Hearts, or another anime shirt (which I'll buy). I might at least buy a Death Note "L" shirt, buy an L necklace, and other stuff and wear it.

[quote name='Bezerker']I've given up on Clannad for now, made it through 4 eps, but its quite slow and I feel almost dirty watching it because even though its probably not very hentai-ish, its got that hentai game look & music.[/QUOTE]

What the hell is that even supposed to mean? "Probably not very hentai-ish"? How about, "it has nothing to do with eroticism, period." "It's got that hentai game look and music"? First, Clannad's background music is in the same vein as Key's other music, therefore it has plenty of beautiful music that ranges from soft, melancholic pieces to upbeat, joyful pieces, so I have no idea how that exclusively relates to erotic visual novels. Second, how does it look like an erotic visual novel? Visual novels — with or without erotic content — and anime aren't that different when it comes to their art styles, but that should be beside the point. How does Clannad look any different from Kyoto Animation's other shows or any other anime for that matter?

It sounds like you want to hate Clannad just to hate it, so you're trying to come up with justifiable reasons for disliking it, but the reasons you gave are awful and unfair.

the past 2 narutos ive noticed the animation was more fluid and sharper especially in ns 167. does it cost more to do the animation that way because ive noticed they only do it for specific big fights but alot of the other episodes are just ok.

I ended up finishing Kurau Phantom Memory. I ended up really liking the anime. Not my number 1 favorite, but it probably ranks in the top 10. I thank everyone who told me to watch it. I did feel some emotions at the end.

[quote name='The Mana Knight']I ended up finishing Kurau Phantom Memory. I ended up really liking the anime. Not my number 1 favorite, but it probably ranks in the top 10. I thank everyone who told me to watch it. I did feel some emotions at the end.[/QUOTE]

Hurray! I'm really glad you enjoyed it, and the ending is so damn awesome!

Why haven't you watched Kurau yet? Buy it now on Right Stuf if you don't already own it!

[quote name='Razzuel']Hurray! I'm really glad you enjoyed it, and the ending is so damn awesome!

Why haven't you watched Kurau yet? Buy it now on Right Stuf if you don't already own it![/QUOTE]

Ya know, Raz, you should also try to offer up places people can watch a few eps legally, instead of just convincing cheap-asses to blind buy it.

I tried to watch it on youtube when Funi had ALL the episodes on there, but after a few I just couldn't summon any more interest.

[quote name='Indecisive Rattle']Ya know, Raz, you should also try to offer up places people can watch a few eps legally, instead of just convincing cheap-asses to blind buy it.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I've mentioned the streaming sometimes, but it'd be so much more magnificent if everyone just bought it instead. Also, that is interesting to note that Funimation is no longer offering the whole series for streaming. I guess that means everyone should just buy it then! Problem solved!

[quote name='Indecisive Rattle']I tried to watch it on youtube when Funi had ALL the episodes on there, but after a few I just couldn't summon any more interest.[/QUOTE]

You lost interest!? But why? :cry:

[quote name='Indecisive Rattle']after a few I just couldn't summon any more interest.[/QUOTE]
And, my resolve grows! Ahahaha!

[quote name='ChibiJosh']And, my resolve grows! Ahahaha![/QUOTE]

Not in the slightest! That's one person out of many! You will succumb to my will! I shall not lose!

[quote name='Indecisive Rattle']Ya know, Raz, you should also try to offer up places people can watch a few eps legally, instead of just convincing cheap-asses to blind buy it.

I tried to watch it on youtube when Funi had ALL the episodes on there, but after a few I just couldn't summon any more interest.[/QUOTE]It gets even better later, keep watching.

Hey guys, there have been a number of license rescues announced at Anex. Nozomi/Rightstuf has licensed Utena. Funimation has rescued quite a few shows, Texhnolyze, Ai Yori Aoshi, Armitage III, Haibane Renmei, Hellsing (television series), Serial Experiments Lain, Tenchi in Tokyo, Tenchi Universe, the Tenchi Muyo! OVAs, and the Tenchi Muyo! movies. Also, Trigun Badlands Rumble has also been licensed by Funi and they are planning to give it a theatrical release, hopefully near me.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I'm happy about Utena.

High School of the Dead was already licensed. :( I guess no fansubs for that.[/QUOTE]

The Anime Network is going to be streaming it — the first episode will be free and to watch the rest you'll probably have to be a subscriber, which is how The Anime Network is streaming Kaicho wa Maid-sama — and they are going to be releasing it on DVD in the future with an English dub.

Are you just sad that you might not be able to watch the whole thing for free? That would be pretty lame if that's the case.

[quote name='lokizz']the past 2 narutos ive noticed the animation was more fluid and sharper especially in ns 167. does it cost more to do the animation that way because ive noticed they only do it for specific big fights but alot of the other episodes are just ok.[/QUOTE]

Different animation studios account for the differing look and quality of some episodes - this goes for pretty much every anime out there, with few exceptions. It's not feasible for one single studio to produce a new episode every week.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I'm happy about Utena.[/QUOTE]

The Utena license rescue is obviously my favorite news to come out of AX. Not to mention it's the remastered version, which looks absolutely beautiful. I'm particularly enjoying how the ANN and AnimeOnDVD forums are just going crazy over the news. Utena is such an amazing show, and now you don't have to be rich to own it anymore.

[quote name='Razzuel']
Are you just sad that you might not be able to watch the whole thing for free? That would be pretty lame if that's the case.[/QUOTE]
Hey, I own lots of series that I first watched through with the fansubs.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']
The Utena license rescue is obviously my favorite news to come out of AX. Not to mention it's the remastered version, which looks absolutely beautiful. I'm particularly enjoying how the ANN and AnimeOnDVD forums are just going crazy over the news. Utena is such an amazing show, and now you don't have to be rich to own it anymore.[/QUOTE]
Yeah. I own the first DVD set with the first 13 episodes or whatever.

Utena wasn't licensed to anyone? I thought maybe Sentai Filmworks grabbed it, since it was on Anime Network on Demand a couple months ago.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']High School of the Dead was already licensed. :( I guess no fansubs for that.[/QUOTE]

That doesn't mean a fansub group won't try. Especially since AN will probably only put up just the 1st episode for free. Just look at Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou, it was picked up by Crunchyroll & Anime Network in the spring. But a couple fansub groups covered that series.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Hey, I own lots of series that I first watched through with the fansubs.[/QUOTE]

Alright, I wasn't trying to be confrontational; I just wanted to make sure you're an upstanding citizen. ;)

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']The Utena license rescue is obviously my favorite news to come out of AX. Not to mention it's the remastered version, which looks absolutely beautiful. I'm particularly enjoying how the ANN and AnimeOnDVD forums are just going crazy over the news. Utena is such an amazing show, and now you don't have to be rich to own it anymore.[/QUOTE]

I'm definitely glad the remastered version of Utena is getting released here. I'll definitely be buying it when it's released. I'll also be buying Right Stuf's other license, Sora no Woto, since I enjoyed the show, though I hope Right Stuf releases a Blu-ray version, since it's one of the most beautiful shows I've ever seen.

The Texhnolyze, Haibane Renmei, and Lain rescues are great, since they are fantastic shows. I hope Funimation is able to get the Lain remaster that's getting worked on in Japan; that's the only way they're going to get me to re-buy that show.

My favorite news though was probably Funimation's announcement of A Certain Magical Index and A Certain Scientific Railgun. Those shows look amazing, and I've been hoping someone would pick them up.

[quote name='Razzuel']My favorite news though was probably Funimation's announcement of A Certain Magical Index and A Certain Scientific Railgun. Those shows look amazing, and I've been hoping someone would pick them up.[/QUOTE]

Index turned to crap almost immediately, and I've heard Railgun has way too much stupid filler. Might want to try before you buy.

[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Index turned to crap almost immediately, and I've heard Railgun has way too much stupid filler. Might want to try before you buy.[/QUOTE]

Damn, that's not very reassuring. I guess I'll proceed with caution then.

I opened up the new Clannad English dub boxset, hoping that the box was twice the normal thickness because they included something cool inside, only to find it is a stackpack and the only reason it is twice the thickness is because of a styrofoam insert used to keep the stack in place. *sigh* This wasn't a bargain boxset, Sentai should have used better/smaller packaging.

Finished Dragon Ball (original series) seasons 1-4. It is better than I remembered, mainly because it doesn't have the painfully slow pacing I remember from DBZ. I'll have to pick up the 5th/final season when it is released at the end of July.

Finally going to restart Soul Eater. I had watched the first set (13 episodes) and then didn't start the next set because I knew the full series wouldn't be available until the end of July. But now I can start from the beginning and will receive the final set in time to watch the whole series straight.

I only have one disc of Ah! My Goddess left. I should finish that up tonight.
I wonder what I should start next... I want something shorter, 13-ish episodes, since I'm about the finish up a 50 episode series. I currently have To Heart, Air, Shakugan no Shana, and I think that's it for shorter series I haven't watched.

[quote name='Gden']Hey guys, there have been a number of license rescues announced at Anex. Nozomi/Rightstuf has licensed Utena. Funimation has rescued quite a few shows, Texhnolyze, Ai Yori Aoshi, Armitage III, Haibane Renmei, Hellsing (television series), Serial Experiments Lain, Tenchi in Tokyo, Tenchi Universe, the Tenchi Muyo! OVAs, and the Tenchi Muyo! movies. Also, Trigun Badlands Rumble has also been licensed by Funi and they are planning to give it a theatrical release, hopefully near me.[/QUOTE]

hell yeah!! Tenchi OVAs!!! I've been wanting to get those for a long time!!

Also maybe someone may know, but is there a new Fafner boxset that may come out? I wanted to buy the series but the boxset is oop and not sure whether buying each dvd seperatly is a good idea >.>

bread's done
Back