Anime & Manga Thread Vol. 2: Za Warudo!!!

[quote name='lilman']School Rumble!

You're going to want to bring anime with you, FL is f*ing hot right now (I live near Orlando).[/QUOTE]lilman is right, it's like balls soup out there.

[quote name='GhostShark']So I have The Complete School Rumble series and OVA, Pumpkin Scissors and Abenobashi. What do I watch first? The winner goes on my trip to Florida with me.[/QUOTE]

It's not even a question, School Rumble is by far the funniest anime I've ever seen, and entertaining in general.

Damnit, now I want to rewatch it.

Well looks like I am taking School Rumble. :p

Also, it can't be hotter than it has been down here in Arlington. 97 with humidity. Not fun at all.

Just finished rewatching Ah! My Goddess S1+2. Next up is MoonPhase.

[quote name='GhostShark']Well looks like I am taking School Rumble. :p

Also, it can't be hotter than it has been down here in Arlington. 97 with humidity. Not fun at all.[/QUOTE]
I've lived in Texas a few times... it's a different kind of heat. Texas is a dry heat, Florida is a humid heat. I think Texas has it worse, but both places are unbearable to be outside for too long. That's why it's nice to curl up on the couch with human kind's greatest invention (AC) and watch some anime :)

Oh, and be careful if you're driving in FL. Unlike TX, there are cops freaking everywhere here, and they love giving tickets. And traffic cams, that's big here too now.

Not sure what I feel about Soul Eater thus far. It's just so odd. I will say that I feel like a 3 main protagonists could seriously have their own shows. Given its popularity I'm expecting things to pick up in a big way later.

I read Evangelion: Angelic Days. It had its moments, but it wasn't very good. The story wasn't very cohesive. It's almost like half way through, the author gave up.

Oh hell yes! Occult Academy just went from mildly enjoyable to fucking fantastic with episode two. It has more amazing facial expressions — they are some of the best I've ever seen; it fleshes out its story and purpose — it's pretty interesting; and Maya starts kicking even more ass. I'm really liking Maya; she's an awesome character!

[quote name='the_punisher']I watched (some of) the first episode of Occult Academy, and wow it is just one huge pile of crap. I said "some of" because I couldn't bring myself to finish it. It's one of the dumbest things I think I've ever seen, and doesn't really raise my hopes for a good summer line-up. I don't think I've ever not finished the first episode of an anime before, but Japan's hit a new low with this one.[/QUOTE]

I remembered you writing this last week, and I never responded to it, but I think now is an opportune time to say, "You couldn't be more wrong."

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']Not sure what I feel about Soul Eater thus far. It's just so odd. I will say that I feel like a 3 main protagonists could seriously have their own shows. Given its popularity I'm expecting things to pick up in a big way later.[/QUOTE]

haha I'm in the middle of watching this as well. I feel kind of ridiculous doing so, but its made me laugh out loud enough times and the action is pretty great.

And what's up with animes having superb animation for the first episode and then going downhill afterward? Maka's first fight was absolutely nuts looking :whee: -- if every episode had shit like that I'd love this show.

Only two characters in Soul Eater matter; Stein and Kid!

I finished GitS: SAC 2nd Gig. I liked the ending and I kind want another season. Just for the Green Tachikomas.

[quote name='GhostShark']I finished GitS: SAC 2nd Gig. I liked the ending and I kind want another season. Just for the Green Tachikomas.[/QUOTE]

Well you could watch the Solid State Society movie, since it takes place after 2nd GIG...

[quote name='GhostShark']Only two characters in Soul Eater matter; Stein and Kid![/QUOTE]

Well at 25ish eps in (awakening stuff) I still like all the main protagonists in their own way. They each hit upon a shonen cliche in a way I find entertaining.

Shonen anime is a lot like rock music. Sure every band is vocals, guitar, bass, and drums but the particular arrangement of these elements that determines the quality of the content.

[quote name='Kuroi Kaze']Not sure what I feel about Soul Eater thus far. It's just so odd. I will say that I feel like a 3 main protagonists could seriously have their own shows. Given its popularity I'm expecting things to pick up in a big way later.[/QUOTE]

The first season is a little slow but introduces the entire world pretty well. The second season ramps up the story and has one of the best arcs I've seen in awhile (maybe not that good, but still good). Watching Season 3 now, but it's pretty disappointing so far. The story dropped considerably, and the humor is getting a little stale. Still want to watch it to the end, though.

[quote name='the_punisher']The first season is a little slow but introduces the entire world pretty well. The second season ramps up the story and has one of the best arcs I've seen in awhile (maybe not that good, but still good). Watching Season 3 now, but it's pretty disappointing so far. The story dropped considerably, and the humor is getting a little stale. Still want to watch it to the end, though.[/QUOTE]

Sorry, but you're being misleading and incorrect. Soul Eater is a single season comprised of 51 episodes; it is not four seasons of 12 to 13 episodes.

So, I now have a computer hooked up to my TV. Time for some prime fansub watching. On deck: Akazukin Chacha and maybe I'll rewatch Denno Coil.

[quote name='Razzuel']Sorry, but you're being misleading and incorrect. Soul Eater is a single season comprised of 51 episodes; it is not four seasons of 12 to 13 episodes.[/QUOTE]

"Misleading and incorrect"? Really? It's not like he's trying to sell prime farmland in Siberia. Don't be so serious, you'll get an ulcer. ;)

[quote name='ChibiJosh']"Misleading and incorrect"? Really? It's not like he's trying to sell prime farmland in Siberia. Don't be so serious, you'll get an ulcer. ;)[/QUOTE]

I think you've got Razz walking on pins and needles with your posts. :lol:

[quote name='ChibiJosh']"Misleading and incorrect"? Really? It's not like he's trying to sell prime farmland in Siberia. Don't be so serious, you'll get an ulcer. ;)[/QUOTE]

Thank you, you know what I mean, every 12-13 episodes is in a DVD box set, so I'm splitting it up like that. Don't get your
underage
panties in a bunch :p

[quote name='thelonepig']I think you've got Razz walking on pins and needles with your posts. :lol:[/QUOTE]
I'm sorry. I don't mean to appear as if I pick on Raz because I dislike him, I like him well enough. That's why i try to throw in smiley faces and such to give off a bit of a joking disposition. But, sometimes people say things, and I have a compulsion to reply.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I'm sorry. I don't mean to appear as if I pick on Raz because I dislike him, I like him well enough. That's why i try to throw in smiley faces and such to give off a bit of a joking disposition. But, sometimes people say things, and I have a compulsion to reply.[/QUOTE]

I get a kick out of it, but then again that's how I tease as well. My wife hates it.

Well, i had planned on Watching 4 12-13 episode seasons of Soul Eater, but if its actually just a single season thats 51 episodes, thats like wayyyy too many episodes for a single season so im not gonna watch it at all.

[quote name='thelonepig']I think you've got Razz walking on pins and needles with your posts. :lol:[/QUOTE]

[quote name='ChibiJosh']I'm sorry. I don't mean to appear as if I pick on Raz because I dislike him, I like him well enough. That's why i try to throw in smiley faces and such to give off a bit of a joking disposition. But, sometimes people say things, and I have a compulsion to reply.[/QUOTE]

Nah, it's fine; I thought it was pretty funny.

[quote name='Bezerker']Well, i had planned on Watching 4 12-13 episode seasons of Soul Eater, but if its actually just a single season thats 51 episodes, thats like wayyyy too many episodes for a single season so im not gonna watch it at all.[/QUOTE]

Haha! That's hilarious!

I finished watching Utwarerumono today, and it really impressed me. I only saw the 1st 2 episodes on Anime Network on Demand and it seemed like it would be a decent show, but turned out to be a very good show.

I loved the pacing, the characters, and the setting. The animation was also solid. Not much to complain about with this one.

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']I finished watching Utwarerumono today, and it really impressed me. I only saw the 1st 2 episodes on Anime Network on Demand and it seemed like it would be a decent show, but turned out to be a very good show.

I loved the pacing, the characters, and the setting. The animation was also solid. Not much to complain about with this one.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, it's a good time. It's one of those shows that I watched through when it first aired in Japan with fansubs, and eventually bought it when it came to the US. Still haven't actually watched the DVDs though.

Random Change of Subject time, anyone look at the pics of Kappei Yamaguchi? The guy is 45 and looks like he's 16.
Photo coming when I feel like it.
And, yes people of the asian persuasion tend to age more slowly until they reach their 60s, but this is ridiculous. (and yes, that does kinda sound racist, but it seems to be a truth across all of the nationalities, be it Chinese, Japanese, korean, Laosian, or what have you.)

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Kirin Lemon']Obligatory "Utawarerumono sucks ass!" post.

Seriously. Hate it.[/QUOTE]OMG, Kirin hates something? I refuse to believe it!

[quote name='Chronis']It's all that tea they drink... Keeps them from aging.[/QUOTE]
They age, just not until they're well over 50. Then they age all at once.

When I was in high school, I told this kid that his sister was a smokeshow. Turns out it was his mother and she was like 48.

here's to hopin the wifey doesn't disintegrate at 50 :D

i was lol'in watching soul eater last night because my wife is pretty much a cross between maka and azusa.

[quote name='ChibiJosh']My Toradora shipped this morning, finally.[/QUOTE]

Right Stuf says it's reserved for my order, so maybe it will be shipping out soon, however, it's not like we can watch it anyway. Hopefully it doesn't take NIS America too long to remaster the first Toradora collection, and hopefully the second collection doesn't need remastering as well.

[quote name='XxFuRy2Xx']I finished watching Utwarerumono today, and it really impressed me. I only saw the 1st 2 episodes on Anime Network on Demand and it seemed like it would be a decent show, but turned out to be a very good show.

I loved the pacing, the characters, and the setting. The animation was also solid. Not much to complain about with this one.[/QUOTE]

I agree; it's totally awesome.

I watched the first episode of Asobi ni Iku yo. I was expecting it to be a pile of shit based on its trailer, however, I was pleasantly surprised because I quite enjoyed it. Sure, it has some genre cliches that are a bit stale, but the story and characters seem so ridiculous that they're quite interesting thus far. Also, it doesn't hurt to have references to Ender's Game and 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Also, episode 16 of Heroman was fucking fantastic. God, I love that show.

[quote name='Razzuel']Right Stuf says it's reserved for my order, so maybe it will be shipping out soon, however, it's not like we can watch it anyway. Hopefully it doesn't take NIS America too long to remaster the first Toradora collection, and hopefully the second collection doesn't need remastering as well.
[/QUOTE]
Well, you can't ask for a replacement until after you recieve it, so there's that. I still plan on watching it anyway, unless it's really bad I probably won't even notice.

What is the difference between Macross and Robotech? They're both older series, but I was interested in watching one of them. I heard Macross was better and was going for that one first. I remember a little bit of one was shown on Sci Fi years ago.

So guys, recommend me stuff thats on sale at Best Buy and/or Amazon and I might buy it! And I'm a cheapass, so keep it below.... $27.98. :lol:

[quote name='Chronis']So guys, recommend me stuff thats on sale at Best Buy and/or Amazon and I might buy it! And I'm a cheapass, so keep it below.... $27.98. :lol:[/QUOTE]

That's an oddly specific number. I was originally going to say that I was too lazy to actually look through the sale to find things for you, but I decided to check out the sale thread anyway. This lead to me purchasing Gunbuster (which I had on order from the last DD sale, but it still isn't in stock and more expensive anyway) and Baccano! since I've heard good things.

That said, I have no recommendations for you unless you want one of the series I just mentioned.

I watched four episodes of Sister Princess... anyone here can I borrow 80 minutes from your life? I always give a series at least four episodes before dropping it, and I usually finish a series that I started even if it isn't the greatest, but I can't finish this one. I really need to stop buying complete series without knowing anything about them.

[quote name='Chronis']So guys, recommend me stuff thats on sale at Best Buy and/or Amazon and I might buy it! And I'm a cheapass, so keep it below.... $27.98. :lol:[/QUOTE]
School Rumble complete from Amazon for $25.99. Razz will be by shortly to recommend Karau :)

[quote name='ChibiJosh']That's an oddly specific number.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='lilman']Razz will be by shortly to recommend Kurau :)[/QUOTE]

Everything makes sense now. Chronis is a bastard. ;)

[quote name='lilman']School Rumble complete from Amazon for $25.99. [/QUOTE]

I'm somewhat tempted to get School Rumble, actually...

[quote name='ChibiJosh']Ahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!

Chronis is my new best friend.[/QUOTE]
[quote name='Razzuel']Everything makes sense now. Chronis is a bastard. ;)[/QUOTE]

These are better reactions then I could have imagined. :lol:

Of course right after I order Gunbuster from Amazon and try to cancel it from DeepDiscount, they tell me they can't cancel because it's getting ready for shipping. So, canceling the Amazon order because I don't think $7 is worth the hassle of sending it back to DD.

bread's done
Back