- - - - -

Have you been spending too much money on games? Here is a good tip!

#31 Starky27   RPG Hoarder CAGiversary!   903 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

Posted 08 November 2010 - 09:37 PM

I think it's like donating blood. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think there are 3 parts to blood: red blood cells, white blood cells and plasma.

4 actually, RBCs, platelets and plasma are the common donations, w/ WBCs generally being used for autologous use (though it largely depends on the cell type.)

You might want to get some help if you are doing this just to buy games. Yeah, you are helping people but I doubt you would be doing this for free. Also, I'm sure they would just take the plasma if you donated it.

Unfortunately, donor pools are decreasing by the year. Many blood centers do what they can to get new donors in the doors, though (I believe) many of the 'for pay' places use the donations for research. If you're a college student, check with your university hospital as many centers coordinate with them for these types of projects.

#32 mer71   Gaming since 1981 CAGiversary!   4590 Posts   Joined 17.6 Years Ago  

Posted 08 November 2010 - 09:38 PM

Do they give you magazines to help you with the donation?

They have a magazine rack next to the door. Ready to be kicked by a pissed off donor.

#33 FernandoRocker   Nintendo Fan CAGiversary!   681 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

FernandoRocker

Posted 08 November 2010 - 09:41 PM

Lol, I may look into this. It'll be extra money while I'm looking for a job.

EDIT: No centers near me. Don't they know people in the South have plasma too? :lol:

Try Biomat USA...

http://biomatusa.grifols.com/

#34 FernandoRocker   Nintendo Fan CAGiversary!   681 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

FernandoRocker

Posted 08 November 2010 - 09:42 PM

You might want to get some help if you are doing this just to buy games. Yeah, you are helping people but I doubt you would be doing this for free. Also, I'm sure they would just take the plasma if you donated it.

It's more to help myself to get a spending limit.

#35 FernandoRocker   Nintendo Fan CAGiversary!   681 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

FernandoRocker

Posted 08 November 2010 - 09:45 PM

Plus, they keep track of your health. Every time you go, they check your pulse, blood pressure, temperature, protein levels, iron levels... they won't let you donate if you have bad health.

#36 Starky27   RPG Hoarder CAGiversary!   903 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

Posted 08 November 2010 - 09:46 PM

Plus, they keep track of your health. Every time you go, they check your pulse, blood pressure, temperature, protein levels, iron levels... they won't let you donate if you have bad health.

That and there's FDA regs on donation volume and frequency.

#37 Arkanos   CAG-MAN CAGiversary!   139 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 08 November 2010 - 09:48 PM

I only have plasmids to donate :(

Posted Image

You sir, win this thread. :applause:

#38 FernandoRocker   Nintendo Fan CAGiversary!   681 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

FernandoRocker

Posted 08 November 2010 - 09:49 PM

That and there's FDA regs on donation volume and frequency.

Oh, yeah... you can only donate twice per week... if you try to donate more than that, you will be banned permanently from donating plasma at any center.

#39 lolwut?   Thank you BasedGod CAGiversary!   4395 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 08 November 2010 - 10:27 PM

Apparently the whole East Coast doesn't have plasma. Oh well, good for you OP

#40 Thorgouge   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1202 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 08 November 2010 - 11:07 PM

I'd do this for free if it didn't cause me to be all fucked up for the rest of the day. That is, assuming it doesn't make me faint, probably have a seizure, and end up in the hospital for the day. My body can be a huge pussy.

#41 basilofbkrst   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1320 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

basilofbkrst

Posted 08 November 2010 - 11:26 PM

Sweet. Place number 1 had nothing near me. Place number 2 did. Thanks for the links. Can't donate blood so been trying to see if I can donate the plasmas.

#42 FernandoRocker   Nintendo Fan CAGiversary!   681 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

FernandoRocker

Posted 08 November 2010 - 11:40 PM

Sweet. Place number 1 had nothing near me. Place number 2 did. Thanks for the links. Can't donate blood so been trying to see if I can donate the plasmas.

Glad I could help!

#43 batman1939   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1395 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 09 November 2010 - 04:46 AM

You can sell semen also OP. I usually buy it for $20 a mouthful from a guy in the city... Money to be made!!!!!!! :D

Anyone remember that South Park episode?

$20 a mouthful? I know some dumbass who will give it to you for free, all you have to do is suck it out of a hose.

#44 Scorch   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   37487 Posts   Joined 17.8 Years Ago  

Posted 09 November 2010 - 04:53 AM

shop at k-mart.

#45 IAmTheCheapestGamer   Banned Banned   28796 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

IAmTheCheapestGamer

Posted 09 November 2010 - 06:58 AM

I thought about doing this once and actually went to a different company. It was in a rough part of town and packed with people who looked to be trading blood for booze/crack. I didn't even stop...

I actually looked into this YEARS ago, before I even joined CAG, and just like you the only plasma center that paid was in the ghetto and the people sitting there were just.....:puke:.

It smelled like BO in the place and I swear some of the donors were 'shaking', probably anxious to get in, get paid and go get their drug/drink of choice for the night.:-#

shop at k-mart.

They sell games?:lol:

#46 tankass   Badass Mutha CAGiversary!   715 Posts   Joined 17.4 Years Ago  

Posted 09 November 2010 - 05:00 PM

Ashame there arent many near me. Oh well.

#47 MetalDragonKing   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   54 Posts   Joined 11.9 Years Ago  

MetalDragonKing

Posted 10 November 2010 - 03:55 AM

I've thought about this before (as well as donating blood) but I just have a fear that a dirty needle will get used or something will happen and I'll get sick or some kind of disease.

None of those places on the links are near me anyways.

Edited by MetalDragonKing, 10 November 2010 - 04:08 AM.

#48 Access_Denied   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2838 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Access_Denied

Posted 10 November 2010 - 04:17 AM

I've thought about this before (as well as donating blood) but I just have a fear that a dirty needle will get used or something will happen and I'll get sick or some kind of disease.

I actually read an article in the paper about a place called Telecris doing stuff like that and trying to 'clean' needles. I'll never walk into a place that pays you for that stuff. If I want to donate blood, I'll DONATE it, as in, give it for free to help people. Selling it would make me feel like a crack addict.

#49 FernandoRocker   Nintendo Fan CAGiversary!   681 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

FernandoRocker

Posted 10 November 2010 - 02:23 PM

Dude... they use new needles and bottles and everything new. They open the packages in front of you. BioLife is one of the most clean places I have ever been.

#50 karkyco   $$$ CAGiversary!   6837 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 10 November 2010 - 06:50 PM

Has anyone ever sold their sperm for money?

LOL I think most here would be paying pros to take theirs :lol:

#51 zman73   Got six? CAGiversary!   3610 Posts   Joined 17.2 Years Ago  

Posted 11 November 2010 - 07:42 PM

I actually read an article in the paper about a place called Telecris doing stuff like that and trying to 'clean' needles. I'll never walk into a place that pays you for that stuff. If I want to donate blood, I'll DONATE it, as in, give it for free to help people. Selling it would make me feel like a crack addict.

Any place that supposedly would do that would be punished... any employee that would do such a thing would be fired... Ive heard instances of employees getting fired for using the same needle on the same person (not being able to find a vein in one arm and moving to the other arm). Ive done this in the past and had no issues with cleanliness, the location of the center I went to was decent as well, in comparison to the other in town which Id never visit. Donating did have its advantages such as the keeping track of your health (I was refused once for low protein in my blood from excessive working out)... plus when I donated I tended to actually eat healthier and drink more water since it actually sped up the process... high fat foods lead to thicker blood and lengthier visits, plus if it is too bad they can refuse you for the day

You are NOT BEING paid for your blood... but the plasma from it, the part that is easy to replenish allowing one to donate twice a week. If you want to donate blood have at it, the red cross never pays for blood. The places that run plasma centers make a good profit from selling the plasma to hospitals etc... they make lots more than what one is paid for it. The nickname for plasma isnt "liquid gold" for nothing (yes your plasma tens to have a gold color to it)

#52 Lyricsborn   Lives in the Shithole Boca Raton CAGiversary!   1953 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Lyricsborn

Posted 11 November 2010 - 11:56 PM

So its like having blood drawn?

#53 shady859   Big Blue Nation CAGiversary!   7283 Posts   Joined 17.1 Years Ago  

Posted 12 November 2010 - 12:21 AM

So its like having blood drawn?

Never had it done but to my understanding they suck your blood out and your plasma is seperated from everything else and then they pump all that everything else back into your blood stream.

#54 _heretic   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   605 Posts   Joined 17.3 Years Ago  

Posted 12 November 2010 - 12:28 AM

Protip: If donating blood doesn't cover your game budget, get creative! Try pawning your mom's TV or engagement ring. Or get an empty soup can and ask for donations from strangers on the street.

#55 DarkRider23   hates hoarders CAGiversary!   3433 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

DarkRider23

Posted 12 November 2010 - 02:06 AM

It is not donating if you are getting paid for it. You are selling it. "Donate" means free.

#56 FernandoRocker   Nintendo Fan CAGiversary!   681 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

FernandoRocker

Posted 12 November 2010 - 04:38 PM

Actually... you are donating the plasma.

According to BioLife, they are paying you for your time.

#57 DarkRider23   hates hoarders CAGiversary!   3433 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

DarkRider23

Posted 13 November 2010 - 06:55 AM

Actually... you are donating the plasma.

According to BioLife, they are paying you for your time.

We all know that's bullshit.

#58 salty tbone   Flipmode Squad CAGiversary!   3135 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

salty tbone

Posted 13 November 2010 - 07:13 AM

We all know that's bullshit.

Why do companies pay for plasma donations?

#59 bmachine   somewhat damaged CAGiversary!   5579 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

Posted 13 November 2010 - 07:20 AM

All donations collected by Dr Acula.

#60 M-PG71C   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   559 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

Posted 13 November 2010 - 07:06 PM

I did this for over a year back in my Junior year of college. Of course, I did it mainly for food (Fuck you economy) but hell, it worked and kept things moving along. :D

I work at the Med Center now so needless to say, I haven't given since. It is a good way to make extra money without it being reported as taxes. That and you are saving lives so by all means I advocate its use.