Microsoft Bait and Switch for New Vegas DLC - Please discuss here

Status
Not open for further replies.

zsciaeount

CAGiversary!
Hello, fellow CAGs.

I'm not sure how many of you were caught in the New Vegas Dead Money DLC debacle, but if you have, chances are that the error has left you out of $10 that you didn't agree to pay.

My story: logged on in the AM, saw the Dead Money DLC was free. Logged into xbox.com, purchased the content (confirmed for free). Later in the day, turned on my Xbox 360, which automatically downloaded the content without notifying me of the change or giving me the opportunity to opt out. 800 MSP were then deducted from my account.

I spent 2 hours on the phone with Xbox Live support. They acknowledged that this was something that happened to many people, but are unwilling to refund the points, and they admitted to me that no one who has called in has seen satisfaction.

THIS IS A BAIT-AND-SWITCH, and it is patently illegal. They cannot change the terms of the sale after the sale has been completed.

Since they have refused to correct this mistake, despite acknowledging it, our only option is to band together and stand up for ourselves.

If you have been burned by this, I urge you to lodge complaints with the Federal Trade Commission (https://www.ftccomplaintassistant.gov/), who oversees the bait-and-switch practices.

In addition, you should log a complaint with the Federal Communications Commission (http://esupport.fcc.gov/complaints.htm) who oversees the wire fraud, since this was related to e-commerce.

Finally, please file a complaint with the Better Business Bureau of Washington State (http://alaskaoregonwesternwashington.bbb.org).

If you then post your complaint numbers here (or PM me), I will compile them in a written letter to Microsoft corporate. That should get their attention and get us our satisfaction.

Last edited by a moderator:
That's not the point. They can't change the terms of the sale after the sale has been completed. That's illegal. I asked for a refund of the points, and offered to delete the DLC from my system. They were not willing to provide satisfaction.

This is like purchasing a product from Amazon for $10. Then, after the product is shipped, they change the price to $100, and then refuse to accept a return.

This is illegal. They need to be able to provide satisfaction to those affected.

Here is a copy of my complaint letter. Feel free to use it as a template.

This is in reference to a BAIT AND SWITCH tactic employed by Microsoft over their Xbox Live platform. In the early morning of 12/21/2010, Microsoft advertised a piece of downloadable content (DLC) for a game called Fallout: New Vegas. This piece of DLC was advertised as FREE, and was hosted centrally on Microsoft's servers. Using their xbox.com website, I purchased the content for later download to my console. The DLC was confirmed as FREE and was added to my queue.

Later that day, the content was marked up to 800 Microsoft Points, which is equivalent to $10 USD. When I turned on my console, it automatically downloaded the content WITHOUT informing me of the change in price, or giving me the opportunity to opt out. As such, 800 points were deducted from my account WITHOUT MY CONSENT. I would not have purchased the content, had I known it was not a free download.

I called Microsoft directly to rectify the situation. However, they were unwilling to provide satisfaction, despite acknowledging the problem.

Furthermore, they admitted that several other customers contacted them regarding the same complaint, and were not offered satisfaction.

In essence, Microsoft changed the terms of the sale after the sale had been completed as outlined in their EULA. This constitutes a bait-and-switch tactic, which is illegal. Furthermore, as this relates to e-commerce, this also constitutes wire fraud.

That Microsoft was unwilling to rectify the situation despite acknowledging the circumstances is particularly distasteful.

I am filing complaints with the FTC, FCC, and BBB, and have encouraged others affected by this particular situation to do the same. It is unconscionable to me that Microsoft appears to have no means of appeal or for providing satisfaction despite an admission of complicity.

For your reference, the Microsoft ticket numbers assigned to this issue are XXXXXXX.

I agree that it's illegal, but considering that this all stems off people being scrounges and trying to get something for nothing....good luck getting any where with that!!

Dang. Thats pretty low, even for Microsoft.
If they acknowledge that it was an error then they should at least do something about it rather than just "Ha! Sucker!"

I got to say, I honestly did not know that this was not intended to be free DLC. After all, substantial free DLC is offered all of the time over Xbox Live (Burnout Paradise comes to mind).

So, I have filed my complaints with the FTC, FCC, and BBB, and I have also sent a news tip to the Seattle Post-Intelligencer ([email protected]), which I have copied below.

The solution seems simple to me: refund the 800 MSP, and honor the advertised price. I'd even be willing to delete the DLC from my system. Microsoft's reps acknowledged that this was an error, but instead of canceling the download, they retroactively charged me while it was still in my queue (hadn't even been downloaded yet), but after it had been purchased.

If you have been affected by this, I urge you to contact the entities I have contacted. One complaint is not enough to get anyone's interest. But 10 complaints is enough to get the BBB and the FTC to take some action.

Also, contact the newspaper, as I have. These guys are hungry for juicy David-and-Goliath stories, and if enough people contact them to confirm that this has happened to multiple people, they're more likely to bite.

The e-mail address for news tips at the Seattle Post-Intelligencer is [email protected].

Here's my letter. Again, feel free to use it as a template:

Please forward this message to your consumer affairs desk.

I am writing to alert you to a BAIT AND SWITCH tactic employed by Microsoft over their Xbox Live platform. This is an issue that has affected several users on their Xbox Live service. Despite acknowledging the issue I describe below, the customer service department at Microsoft's Xbox Live division is refusing to offer satisfaction, and has confirmed this in conversations across multiple tiers of the customer service support department. I am writing to you in the hopes that you might find this worthy of investigation and publication, in order to provide a voice to all those affected by this practice, so that we may see proper satisfaction.

I will briefly recount my experience, which has been shared by several other members of the Xbox Live community.

In the early morning of 12/21/2010, Microsoft advertised a piece of downloadable content (DLC) for a game called Fallout: New Vegas. This piece of DLC was advertised as FREE, and was hosted centrally on Microsoft's servers. Using their xbox.com website, I purchased the content for later download to my console. The DLC was confirmed as FREE at the time of purchase, and was added to my queue for automatic download next time I powered on my console.

Later that day, the content was marked up to 800 Microsoft Points, which is equivalent to $10 USD, and the accounts of those who had queued up the download were retroactively charged 800 Microsoft Points without any notification, nor any ability to opt-out. I would not have purchased the content, had I known it was not going to be honored as a free download.

I called Microsoft directly to rectify the situation. However, they were unwilling to provide satisfaction, despite acknowledging the problem.

Furthermore, they admitted that several other customers contacted them regarding the same complaint, and were not offered satisfaction.

In essence, Microsoft changed the terms of the sale after the sale had been completed as outlined in their EULA. This constitutes a bait-and-switch tactic, which is, of course, illegal. Furthermore, as this relates to e-commerce, this also constitutes wire fraud. Granted, it's only a small amount of money for each user, but across the shared experience, this equates to thousands of dollars collected by Microsoft using this dishonest tactic.

That Microsoft was unwilling to rectify the situation despite acknowledging the circumstances is particularly distasteful. It is unconscionable to me that Microsoft appears to have no means of appeal or for providing satisfaction despite an admission of complicity.

All Fallout DLC expansion before were never free........

you can easily assume that FAllout New Vegas DLC is not free..

You can assume nothing. You can only trust that product is delivered as advertised. I cannot be responsible for their errors, and they cannot change the terms of sale after the sale is completed.

I agree with both sides, but zsciaecount, I really want to ask you, did you really think it was free or did you think it was someone who did something wrong at their job. I understand you should be rewarded with your points back, but I just wanted to know truthfully if you were just being greedy or something ^_^ no point to offend anyone, I was just curious and wanted to know if you thought someone made a mistake or were you just greeding it all the way =D

I don't know. I see what you're saying and all, but it was advertised and posted about all over the internet as being 800 MS points upon release. Companies make mistakes all the time, and it is your job as the consumer to stay informed. I honestly don't think you'll get squat. And you rightfully shouldn't. Unless you were completely unplugged from the gaming world, you had seen at some point that the DLC would be $10.

If it was advertised as free it should be free. I would throw a shitfit and call the police or president Obama.

Not sure what is more fucked up. The fact that some people think it's okay to do this or that MS pulled a bait and switch on you (if true). Good luck though.

[quote name='Kaelestis']Not sure what is more fucked up. The fact that some people think it's okay to do this or that MS pulled a bait and switch on you (if true). Good luck though.[/QUOTE]

The people that find what ms did acceptable are douchebags. Burn in hell you subordinates!!

[quote name='thegreek']The people that find what ms did acceptable are douchebags. Burn in hell you subordinates!![/QUOTE]

That they charged money for a product that advertised at the charged price for weeks before release? Yeah, totally in the wrong on their part.

I do think you have a valid complaint. It said FREE, you downloaded it when it said FREE. You can file your complaint and leave it at that or I'd look in the consumer protection laws in your state/area (I'd imagine this violated interstate commerce laws) if you really want to fight it. At the very least I'd call back and escalate the call to a supervisor (or even higher) and mention how you think what they did was illegal and you are disappointed, etc. I'm sure you could get something free or a rebate if you are "nice" enough. Be firm, calm, and stick to your guns. Don't try and debate them. Stick to the facts: It said free. You got it for free. They took MSP w/o your consent. Possible illegal. Sadly MS has more money to throw at a lawsuit than the handful of users caught up in this.

That said, if you are arguing that you read this thread: http://www.cheapassgamer.com/forums/showthread.php?t=282216

and that you didn't know it wasn't supposed free is going to be a hard fought battle.

I'm sure MS will tell you to look over the T & S

MICROSOFT CORPORATION AND/OR ITS RESPECTIVE SUPPLIERS MAKE NO REPRESENTATIONS ABOUT THE SUITABILITY, RELIABILITY, AVAILABILITY, TIMELINESS, AND ACCURACY OF THE INFORMATION, SOFTWARE, PRODUCTS, SERVICES AND RELATED GRAPHICS CONTAINED ON THE XBOX.COM WEB SITE FOR ANY PURPOSE.
so you can see where you are basically screwed.

In their eyes they are justified, but it doesn't make it right.

Good luck.

It's not uncommon for substantial DLC to be free (Burnout Paradise) or for paid DLC to be free for a limited time for select users (Alan Wake). I, honestly, had not been following New Vegas all that closely, so I wasn't aware that it was not going to be free when I clicked to download. I haven't even played the game yet. But, it's not uncommon for me to jump on DLC on the day of release just so I don't forget about it. Case in point: I downloaded Pigsy's Perfect 10 DLC for Enslaved the morning it was released, even though I only started playing the game a few days ago.

All I want is my 800 MSP back. They can invalidate my license for the DLC, so that I'll have to repurchase it, if that would make them happy.

The bottom line is that someone probably screwed up. But, shouldn't there be a way to refund the purchase and accept a return, rather than sticking the end-user with the bill? As I said, I would have never downloaded it, had I not known it was going to be free... I merely followed a post on Kotaku (I think) that said that it's up, and hey, it's free right now!

[quote name='zsciaeount']It's not uncommon for substantial DLC to be free (Burnout Paradise) or for paid DLC to be free for a limited time for select users (Alan Wake). I, honestly, had not been following New Vegas all that closely, so I wasn't aware that it was not going to be free when I clicked to download. I haven't even played the game yet. But, it's not uncommon for me to jump on DLC on the day of release just so I don't forget about it. Case in point: I downloaded Pigsy's Perfect 10 DLC for Enslaved the morning it was released, even though I only started playing the game a few days ago.

All I want is my 800 MSP back. They can invalidate my license for the DLC, so that I'll have to repurchase it, if that would make them happy.

The bottom line is that someone probably screwed up. But, shouldn't there be a way to refund the purchase and accept a return, rather than sticking the end-user with the bill? As I said, I would have never downloaded it, had I not known it was going to be free... I merely followed a post on Kotaku (I think) that said that it's up, and hey, it's free right now![/QUOTE]

Take a look at my post and offer that to the CSR/Supervisor.

That or tell Kotaku they led their users down this path. I'm sure they could use the news article and get your issue some publicity

[quote name='zsciaeount']It's not uncommon for substantial DLC to be free (Burnout Paradise) or for paid DLC to be free for a limited time for select users (Alan Wake). I, honestly, had not been following New Vegas all that closely, so I wasn't aware that it was not going to be free when I clicked to download. I haven't even played the game yet. But, it's not uncommon for me to jump on DLC on the day of release just so I don't forget about it. Case in point: I downloaded Pigsy's Perfect 10 DLC for Enslaved the morning it was released, even though I only started playing the game a few days ago.

The bottom line is that someone probably screwed up. But, shouldn't there be a way to refund the purchase and accept a return, rather than sticking the end-user with the bill? As I said, I would have never downloaded it, had I not known it was going to be free... I merely followed a post on Kotaku (I think) that said that it's up, and hey, it's free right now![/QUOTE]

Than it is your fault for not being informed about it. All the DLC's for Fallout have never been free, so yeah, you can assume 800 point cost again. This was advertised way back for being 800 points. Besides, all DLC sales are final, even do they took your 10 bucks.

It's just $10. Admittedly, compared to the thousands of dollars a year I spend on games, this is just a drop in the bucket. But, it's the principle that I find distasteful.

[quote name='zsciaeount']It's just $10. Admittedly, compared to the thousands of dollars a year I spend on games, this is just a drop in the bucket. But, it's the principle that I find distasteful.[/QUOTE]

Completely understand that. Hell, I used to get into fights in school about lunch line cutting because I believed in the principle of the matter.

I guess my thing is that I see where MS has their ass covered. They say in the T&C that Xbox.com isn't always accurate, and so if you downloaded from there, it's different from the dashboard. The dashboard is official, whereas the website is not. And from what you've said, it sounds like you were charged correctly as far as a dashboard purchase goes. I know the DLC was listed as $10 on the Dash because I downloaded at 5 AM and it came up immediately as 800 points. I guess the best I see for you is a response that goes something like, "Always double check your sources and don't believe everything you hear, especially from third party sites." That's just my take on it, and if you feel strongly, keep fighting. It's just my humble opinion that you're going to lose this one in OT, and there may be better battles to fight.

I thought the bait and switch tactic was more along the lines of "This is what I advertised, and you bought it. Now I'm going to give you something different."

In any case, I can see both sides of the argument being right (for lack of a better word, no side is really "right" here). On the one hand, the site did say free, and that should at least be somewhat held accountable. $10 isn't much, but as you said it is the principle of the matter.

On the other hand, it was advertised everywhere that the DLC would be priced at 800 MSP. The Fallout 3 DLCs weren't free, and there's no reason that the New Vegas one(s) would be either. If you're complaining about principles, you decided to take advantage of an obvious pricing mistake. You as a consumer should be aware of what you're buying.

Either way, good luck I suppose. If anything I think Microsoft would do something to at least give you something for your trouble. At least a bandaid for a bullet would, so to speak.

Yeah its not bait and switch. For it to be then the item would have to be materially different, not priced differently. Furthermore its an obvious price mistake with no intent to commit fraud which companies are protected from pretty much everywhere.

That said it sucks, but DLC is tricky.

The main problem with refund for DLC is that once you've downloaded it then its hard to undownload it. They have no way of knowing that you will actually remove it from your hard drive.

Companies must offer a means of recourse when a product is not delivered as-described. They offer none.

And yes, they CAN "undownload" it... they can invalidate my content license, which ensures I won't be able to use it after the refund.

[quote name='Mr Dude65']That they charged money for a product that advertised at the charged price for weeks before release? Yeah, totally in the wrong on their part.[/QUOTE]

Hahahaha!! Whatever dude.....

Good luck suing Microsoft for 800 Live Points, I mean $10. That could be their way around this, that they are only charging you "points" that do not have a set dollar value. I mean how many people buy Points cards for less than retail? Virtually everyone right? Therefore they could say 800 points is not worth $10. Or if you got them for free doing Bing searches? I see the reason to be upset but at the end of the day it's not going to be worth the time of effort to try to get a few virtual points back.

[quote name='Kaelestis']Not sure what is more fucked up. The fact that some people think it's okay to do this or that MS pulled a bait and switch on you (if true). Good luck though.[/QUOTE]

Seriously. They're going to have pooping problems later in life from all of the brutal anal rape that they willfully indulge in.

[quote name='zsciaeount']Companies must offer a means of recourse when a product is not delivered as-described. They offer none.

And yes, they CAN "undownload" it... they can invalidate my content license, which ensures I won't be able to use it after the refund.[/QUOTE]

You could download it and never go back online after that. The content stays usable and even if they were to invalidate the content it doesn't matter.

Also, the content was described as being 800 Microsoft Points. I understand where you're coming from and all but there's no sugar-coating the fact that you decided to take advantage of a pricing error. You can make Microsoft to be the bad guy here all you want, but in reality both sides are in the wrong with you dealing the first blow.

[quote name='fusion0fangels']Also, the content was described as being 800 Microsoft Points. I understand where you're coming from and all but there's no sugar-coating the fact that you decided to take advantage of a pricing error. You can make Microsoft to be the bad guy here all you want, but in reality both sides are in the wrong with you dealing the first blow.[/QUOTE]

I hope you like Microsoft reaching into your wallet and taking your money without your consent.

Look at it this way. What if Amazon had a specific iphone app that let you buy a copy of Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock for $10. I know it's a ridiculous situation, but I'm being hypothetical here. Now, on their website, it's still listed for $60. However, you think you would be dumb to buy it on the website because you can get it for $50 off via the app. Then you read that you've been charged the extra $50 anyway because the app was in error, and they give you no way to return the game? Would you not be royally pissed?

Also, the fact that the XBOX site's (or iphone app's, hypothetically) TOS specifically states that it might be inaccurate and that you can be screwed due to their error is absolute and total bollocks. That should be illegal.

[quote name='Pirate331']Haha, OP thinks he knows how contracts work. That's adorable.[/QUOTE]

Haha, Pirate331 is being a butt pirate for Microsoft. That's adorable.

(Sorry, I don't usually make gay jokes, but that opportunity was too good to pass up.)

Personally, saying that you found out about this on CAG and then saying that you had no idea this content was originally supposed to have a charge seems conflicting. I do believe that the first post in the thread in question stated that it was advertised to be 800 points and, just minutes later, someone stated that it still showed as such through their Xbox.

Not to say that you should not have some recourse, but I simply can't believe that you went into this not thinking that you weren't about to pull a fast one due to an error.

[quote name='dv8mad']Personally, saying that you found out about this on CAG and then saying that you had no idea this content was originally supposed to have a charge seems conflicting. I do believe that the first post in the thread in question stated that it was advertised to be 800 points and, just minutes later, someone stated that it still showed as such through their Xbox.

Not to say that you should not have some recourse, but I simply can't believe that you went into this not thinking that you weren't about to pull a fast one due to an error.[/QUOTE]

Dude, I didn't even know that this Fallout DLC was advertised as such and such MS points. I'm not a Fallout fan, but if I saw that "FREE DLC" post on Kotaku or CAG or wherever, I'd be downloading it. I'd be completing the transaction for it from the website, too, because I'm too lazy to get up and go to my XBOX and download it there.

Look, forget what the previous advertisements said. It said free as he was purchasing it. (Or acquiring, whatever the correct word is because there was supposed to have been no transfer of money or MS points.) It said free.

"But, but, but... it was advertised weeks ago..." STFU. It said free. Maybe it was a Christmas present or something. I don't know. It said free.

[quote name='Chuplayer']I hope you like Microsoft reaching into your wallet and taking your money without your consent.

Look at it this way. What if Amazon had a specific iphone app that let you buy a copy of Guitar Hero: Warriors of Rock for $10. I know it's a ridiculous situation, but I'm being hypothetical here. Now, on their website, it's still listed for $60. However, you think you would be dumb to buy it on the website because you can get it for $50 off via the app. Then you read that you've been charged the extra $50 anyway because the app was in error, and they give you no way to return the game? Would you not be royally pissed?

Also, the fact that the XBOX site's (or iphone app's, hypothetically) TOS specifically states that it might be inaccurate and that you can be screwed due to their error is absolute and total bollocks. That should be illegal.[/QUOTE]

I never said I liked it. In fact, had you paid any attention to my post, I said both sides are in the wrong. If you were a developer and you created a game and sold it on your website, but accidentally didn't set up your site so that it takes payment and just gives someone the game, how would you feel? I know that this is a situation where it's the distributor's fault and not the developer's, but in a sense it's the same case.

Also, my issue here is that the OP seems to make everything all MS's fault. It's true that what MS did is wrong and shouldn't happen to anyone, but the OP took advantage of the pricing error to get something that shouldn't be free for free.

[quote name='Chuplayer']I hope you like consumers reaching into Microsoft's wallet and taking Microsoft and Obsidian's dlc without it's consent.
[/QUOTE]

Ok. I didn't see this pricing error as I don't own NV and wouldn't have been looking to purchase the DLC in question when it went live. I'm basing some of the following on assumptions I've made by reading the other posts.

So MS advertised the DLC as being 800MSP. That probably included graphics on xbox.com and the XBL dashboard, all saying 800MSP. We call this an offer.

Now OP is waiting for the DLC to go live with baited breath. As such, he's there the second it goes up and sees someone goofed and didn't mark the proper price on the purchase page. He goes and adds the "free" DLC to his que. This is not what we call an acceptance, which is a necessary component in forming our contract w/ MS. MS did not make an offer to OP, or anyone, for free DLC.

Now, MS has options here. They choose poorly, perhaps. OP is not entitled to this DLC for free, but MS could probably have found a better solution than charging the real price retroactively.

We all know MS makes pricing mistakes constantly. I think OP, and everyone crying for blood here, is just sore that MS finally decided to do something about it and they got stuck with DLC they wouldn't have bought otherwise.

You technically never "purchased" anything if it was free.

They should have never taken your points out of your account. The only thing you can do is keep being a whiny little bitch, someone with enough power will do something at some point just to shut you up.

[quote name='fusion0fangels']I never said I liked it. In fact, had you paid any attention to my post, I said both sides are in the wrong. If you were a developer and you created a game and sold it on your website, but accidentally didn't set up your site so that it takes payment and just gives someone the game, how would you feel? I know that this is a situation where it's the distributor's fault and not the developer's, but in a sense it's the same case.[/quote]

I did pay attention to your post, and you know what? IT SAID FREE. No two bones about it. FREE IS FREE.

As for that developer hypothetical situation, that's apples to oranges. So it says $19.99 on the website but never actually charges your card? Then a few days later somebody realizes this and charges your card? That's okay because the terms of the sale said $19.99 and not free.

In this situation, I guess Microsoft accidentally set it up as free on their website. If the developer should be pissed at somebody, it should be Microsoft. Then Microsoft should own up to their error instead of taking money out of consumers' pockets. It's that simple because IT SAID FREE.

Also, my issue here is that the OP seems to make everything all MS's fault. It's true that what MS did is wrong and shouldn't happen to anyone, but the OP took advantage of the pricing error to get something that shouldn't be free for free.

Uh, it is Microsoft's fault. Follow me here. IT SAID FREE. Technically invalidating the license and giving back the 800 MS points isn't exactly right either, but it is the lesser of two evils.

[quote name='Pirate331']Ok. I didn't see this pricing error as I don't own NV and wouldn't have been looking to purchase the DLC in question when it went live. I'm basing some of the following on assumptions I've made by reading the other posts.

So MS advertised the DLC as being 800MSP. That probably included graphics on xbox.com and the XBL dashboard, all saying 800MSP. We call this an offer.

Now OP is waiting for the DLC to go live with baited breath. As such, he's there the second it goes up and sees someone goofed and didn't mark the proper price on the purchase page. He goes and adds the "free" DLC to his que. This is not what we call an acceptance, which is a necessary component in forming our contract w/ MS. MS did not make an offer to OP, or anyone, for free DLC.[/quote]

:roll:

Now, MS has options here. They choose poorly, perhaps. OP is not entitled to this DLC for free, but MS could probably have found a better solution than charging the real price retroactively.

We all know MS makes pricing mistakes constantly. I think OP, and everyone crying for blood here, is just sore that MS finally decided to do something about it and they got stuck with DLC they wouldn't have bought otherwise.

Doing something about it? Doing something about it is sticking you with something you wouldn't have spent money on and taking your money anyway? Well, that is doing something about it, all right. Doing the wrong thing about it.

Whether he was being a CAG or not, while doing it, does not really matter. I agree, that the item was free at the time of download. Microsoft has made mistakes in the past, and not once did they go back, and charge me for the downloaded item.

If I had been charged, I would complain just the same.

Jesus fucking christ. How many more times are you going to say "It said FREE?" Stfu already. Obviously, Microsoft doesn't give two shits and unless you give them bad publicity, you're fucked. Ranting on a forum isn't going to do shit for you so send this stupid message to the consumerist or whatever site you want. I highly doubt Microsoft is going to care if they lose a customer like you, a cheapass. You aren't the type of customer that makes them the big bucks, so why care?

[quote name='DarkRider23']Jesus fucking christ. How many more times are you going to say "It said FREE?" Stfu already. Obviously, Microsoft doesn't give two shits and unless you give them bad publicity, you're fucked. Ranting on a forum isn't going to do shit for you so send this stupid message to the consumerist or whatever site you want. I highly doubt Microsoft is going to care if they lose a customer like you, a cheapass. You aren't the type of customer that makes them the big bucks, so why care?[/QUOTE]

:roll:

[quote name='Chuplayer']I did pay attention to your post, and you know what? IT SAID FREE. No two bones about it. FREE IS FREE.

As for that developer hypothetical situation, that's apples to oranges. So it says $19.99 on the website but never actually charges your card? Then a few days later somebody realizes this and charges your card? That's okay because the terms of the sale said $19.99 and not free.

In this situation, I guess Microsoft accidentally set it up as free on their website. If the developer should be pissed at somebody, it should be Microsoft. Then Microsoft should own up to their error instead of taking money out of consumers' pockets. It's that simple because IT SAID FREE.

Uh, it is Microsoft's fault. Follow me here. IT SAID FREE. Technically invalidating the license and giving back the 800 MS points isn't exactly right either, but it is the lesser of two evils.[/QUOTE]

God dammit. Yes it said free. IT SAID FREE. IT SAID FREE. IT SAID FREE. I'm arguing that both sides are in the damn wrong. There's very little chance the OP had just stumbled upon the DLC and not heard about it and just thought it was free. More than likely he read about it somewhere and thought he could one up MS and just download the DLC for free. Did I ever, ever, (since you like bold caps) EVER say that Microsoft was right to charge the everyone for it? No. They handled the situation poorly by charging everyone. But what I'm pretty much saying is that the OP thought he'd be all honky dory taking advantage of Microsoft's error, and that he's crying over how he got something he should've been charged for and now he's paying for it.

[quote name='Chuplayer']:roll:
[/QUOTE]
Was my explanation over your head? I will clarify: there was no sale.

MS can probably track everyone who purchased the DLC during the erroneous pricing and invalidate their content until they pay up. That's what should have happened. But acting like they're stealing from you is not the appropriate response either. You all know you were taking advantage of an error, and you got caught.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back