Microsoft Bait and Switch for New Vegas DLC - Please discuss here

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='Survivalism']ITT: People butthurt over not getting something for free they knew full well wasn't supposed to be free in the first place.[/QUOTE]
That's not the issue, at all. This isn't a cancelled order.

If they think they deserve the item for free, then they are wrong. But the issue is here Microsoft charging you more for something than you agreed to pay. MS should have something in place that can disable content on a console that gets the content for an incorrect price. They shouldn't be charging people points they did not agree to fork over.

If you went to an expensive steak house and they accidentally advertised Kobe beef for $7.30, you'd be pissed as hell when you went home and saw your credit card was charged the proper $73.

It doesn't matter what the price was supposed to be. Charge what was advertised at the time of sale or void the transaction. If you can't void the transaction (that's why used the restaurant analogy), then the seller should honor the price agreed. The "You would've bought it anyway" or "The correct price is everywhere EXCEPT for our store, so you should've known it wasn't free and/or discounted" excuse doesn't work at all.

Dead Money was advertised from the beginning as 800 MSP, so when the DLC went live and had FREE beside it people were jumping all over it as a way to show MS the finger and get a $10 item for free. OP is angry that MS caught the glitch and rightfully charged him the $10. My advice get over it, or try not to download everything that has FREE next to it. Good luck getting your space bucks back from MS.

[quote name='Mr Dude65']I don't know. I see what you're saying and all, but it was advertised and posted about all over the internet as being 800 MS points upon release. Companies make mistakes all the time, and it is your job as the consumer to stay informed. I honestly don't think you'll get squat. And you rightfully shouldn't. Unless you were completely unplugged from the gaming world, you had seen at some point that the DLC would be $10.[/QUOTE]

I call BS on this.......Stores offer unadvertised sales all the time. The consumer should not have to stay informed on the marked price of anything, especially after purchase. It would be one thing if this was abuse of a coupon or something along those lines but this was something clearly tagged as free.

Bottom line, they shouldn't just go take anything from you after the completed transaction.

Yeah, it's definitely not the consumer's job to make sure that a company has an item priced correctly. Sorry, but I find it very, very hard to believe that if some of you people walked into a store and saw a brand new game marked at $10 when you knew full well it was $60, you wouldn't at least scan it or bring it up to the register. If a company doesn't want to sell you an item an incorrectly marked price, that is well within their rights. But once the transaction is over, it's over. MS screwed up (they do this a lot on the XBL MP), and they either have to eat it or set up a system where they can revoke the license on the content that was sold for the incorrect price. They should definitely not be charging people a price they did not agree to.

Agreed with the sane people here. I would actually disagree with a system of them revoking licenses, but it's a hell of a lot better than retroactively charging people.

Wow, I'm loving the discussion.

I want to be clear. MS shouldn't have the right to "charge" you w/o consent after the fact on a screwup.

That said, let me add this log to the fire. Was he really "charged"? Did they really take his money? Unless that charge his credit card or paypal, it's a big gray area. You are really only buying points that you exchange for goods/services. A line of credit if you will. I'm sure buried deep in their ToS (T&C) is even more bs about how they reserve the right to get their money.

I hope OP gets his issue revolved the right way. MS can't revoke the license, b/c doing so would wreck his FO:NV game. (If he started the game with the DLC, then tried to load it, he will get a DLC not found error, and won't be able to play) He can "say" he hasn't played it, but they can't guarantee that and won't risk making more issues out of this.

OP call 800-4MY-XBOX and escalate this until you get it resolved. Also, I'd try and contact Stephen Toulouse (Director of Xbox Live Policy and Enforcement) |email: [email protected] | Twitter: @Stepto | GT: Stepto | Stepto.com | Like I said before, be nice, don't swear, be firm, and stick to the facts.

Seriously Shut the fuck up and quit bitching. We all knew they screwed up, we tried to get one over, people got caught, MS took the proper points from you. Quit whining like and move on. OP is seriously a liar and for trying to say he didn't know it was a mistake. I also went through the motions for getting it for free. If they took the points from me for it that's fine as well. Sometimes we win one sometimes we break even. Sometimes we lose, but this is not one of those times. Win is getting away with it for free. Breaking even is MS catching you and taking the proper amount of points. There is no lose here except for the LOSERS that are pissing in their pants cause MS took what they were owed. Grow up, Shut up, Move on.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Agreed with the sane people here. I would actually disagree with a system of them revoking licenses, but it's a hell of a lot better than retroactively charging people.[/QUOTE]

Don't get me wrong. I'm not a fan of my own idea. But the reality is, MS's defense for taking the guy's points is that they have no protection against price mistake.

Go into a store and try to buy something that was incorrectly labeled, and it will probably show in the system properly. If not, there is also the slight chance that the employee will notice the error. Order something on Amazon, and they have time before they ship it out to fix the mistake and cancel the order, if they want.

Digital distribution offers no such protection, so that is why I bought up license revocation. I'd be pissed, but I certainly would be more pissed if they took my 800 points.

I did download it and I did not get charged.

I seen people like him complaint on Kotaku. I think he was not charge retroactively. He was just not paying attention after adding the the queue. People that were late and try to get it when it was free were getting an error or were charge before they could fully change it or was getting. It was showing free but it still did a -800ms points.

[quote name='DarkRider23']Jesus fucking christ. How many more times are you going to say "It said FREE?" Stfu already. Obviously, Microsoft doesn't give two shits and unless you give them bad publicity, you're fucked. Ranting on a forum isn't going to do shit for you so send this stupid message to the consumerist or whatever site you want. I highly doubt Microsoft is going to care if they lose a customer like you, a cheapass. You aren't the type of customer that makes them the big bucks, so why care?[/QUOTE]

I have purchased 337 Xbox 360 games on disc, and have purchased on average 2-3 pieces of DLC a week for the past 5 years. I am EXACTLY the customer that makes them big bucks.

I don't mind paying for content one bit. But, I DO mind paying for content that is advertised as free.

[quote name='Mr Dude65']And also, here's what no one is getting. He wasn't retroactively charged!! If they had charged him after the DL, that would be a retroactive charge. However, he was charged at the correct time for the purchase because all he did was click a button saying he would like the content. Then, they charged him, and the content downloaded. He said himself that this is true! Jesus Christ, does anyone pay attention to detail?? He deserves nothing but the content he BOUGHT. End of story.[/QUOTE]

Nope, you need to read more closely. I go to xbox.com, I click on the FREE download link.

The confirmation box comes up that says

MSP before = 810
minus FREE
= 810 MSP after transaction.

This is the same thing you get when you download a demo or another piece of free content.

I confirm the purchase, and it still says FREE, no change in my account balance is reflected.

Later in the day, more than 8 hours later, I find that the points have been deducted retroactively.

The points were NOT deducted at the time of content acquisition. They were removed after the point of sale.

Had I clicked on the FREE link, and it said it was going to deduct 800 on the confirmation page, I probably would not have closed out the deal just then.

Finally, I have to echo agreement with a few other posts. We, as consumers, have to be able to trust that the goods we purchase are as advertised. If it was an error, I should have been informed that they could not deliver the product as described and have been given the option to opt out (which is what a lot of retailers will do for pricing errors on bigger-ticket items) or they could have honored the mistake (which is common for the lower-ticket items).

But, how are we to know that this isn't just some promotion? Maybe Bethesda and Microsoft decided to offer an olive branch to all those early-adopters who were burned by the game-crushing bugs present in the initial retail release. Certainly, this has been done before with other games. Heck, Microsoft has even offered entire games for free just for the Live service being down for a weekend!

Bottom line is that free content happens all of the time, and there was no way for me to know that this deal wasn't going to be honored when I made the purchase.

[quote name='HydroX']Waaaah! You didn't think you were going to get away with obviously paid DLC for free, did you?[/QUOTE]

[quote name='ral1121']All Fallout DLC expansion before were never free........

you can easily assume that FAllout New Vegas DLC is not free..[/QUOTE]

[quote name='Mr Dude65']I don't know. I see what you're saying and all, but it was advertised and posted about all over the internet as being 800 MS points upon release. Companies make mistakes all the time, and it is your job as the consumer to stay informed. I honestly don't think you'll get squat. And you rightfully shouldn't. Unless you were completely unplugged from the gaming world, you had seen at some point that the DLC would be $10.[/QUOTE]

[quote name='fusion0fangels']Also, the content was described as being 800 Microsoft Points. I understand where you're coming from and all but there's no sugar-coating the fact that you decided to take advantage of a pricing error. You can make Microsoft to be the bad guy here all you want, but in reality both sides are in the wrong with you dealing the first blow.[/QUOTE]

I beg you all for the sake of the human race. Please do not breed.

For anyone with a brain and the time, you should be contacting MS and letting them know that this is absolutely not ok. The only debatable part about this (if true) is the issue that it was MS points taken and not actual money. However I'm guessing that they cannot legally take your MS points without permission just like they can't steal your money. That may not be the case though.

I haven't read the whole thread, but want to add this (which might have all ready been mentioned). I was checking the Xbox marketplace site frequently to see the updated winter deals, and the Fallout add-on had a front page ad. I clicked it, which linked me to the download page. The price stated FREE (in caps). I thought great, even if I don't get this game for a while, which I don't plan on anytime soon, I will have the DLC downloaded. I didn't get charged, yet. People saying you should know the price of X add on and Y DLC are crazy to assume that every Xbox Live user should mentally know the price of all the DLC. I saw an ad on Microsoft's site, clicked it because it caught my interest, and downloaded the free content.

[quote name='Sc4rfac3']Just take the loss[/QUOTE]
Why in the hell would he do that? You make my head spin. I honestly did not know that people like you actually existed out there. I just didn't want to believe it I guess but here you are. Amazing.

[quote name='Sc4rfac3']Just take the loss[/QUOTE]

Then they win. If anything, ms should take the loss. I would fight this to my dying breath.

And the bitching and whining continues ... I paid $10 ... and I'm satisfied. Hell, I haven't even played it yet and I'm still satisfied ... it's $10 ... maybe some of you need to reevaluate your priorities.

To what end is it worth fighting, though? It's ten bucks, and after a certain point the amount of effort you put into trying to get MS to fix this will outweigh anything you can recover. You'll win in principle, but that's about it.

Not saying what Microsoft did was in any way right...but if they aren't going to do anything, they aren't going to do anything. You've already filed a formal complaint, so next thing to do would be to stop supporting Microsoft and not buy their products.

I already emailed them here (hopefully that link works).

Otherwise you can call:

• 9:00 A.M. to 1:00 A.M. Eastern Time
  • 6:00 A.M. to 10:00 P.M. Pacific Time
Phone numbers

• Toll free: (800) 4MY-XBOX or (800) 469-9269
  • Direct dial: (425) 635-7180

[quote name='ShockandAww']Why in the hell would he do that? You make my head spin. I honestly did not know that people like you actually existed out there. I just didn't want to believe it I guess but here you are. Amazing.[/QUOTE]

Because the time you're spending arguing over $10 can be made to go make $10 or at least do something more productive. Chances are, you're going to lose, so why? If MS did this all the time to customers, then fighting it would make more sense. This is, to my knowledge, the first time this happened. Getting all up in arms about it now is just wasting your time.

[quote name='etcrane']And the bitching and whining continues ... I paid $10 ... and I'm satisfied. Hell, I haven't even played it yet and I'm still satisfied ... it's $10 ... maybe some of you need to reevaluate your priorities.[/QUOTE]
So now this ten dollars has hit him so hard that maybe in the future he should re-evaluate trying to download a free expansion in case of being hit with another ten dollar charge? What are you trying to insinuate with this post?

I don't care if the OP is a billionaire. Wrong is wrong. Stop trying to say otherwise.

[quote name='DarkRider23']Because the time you're spending arguing over $10 can be made to go make $10 or at least do something more productive. Chances are, you're going to lose, so why? If MS did this all the time to customers, then fighting it would make more sense. This is, to my knowledge, the first time this happened. Getting all up in arms about it now is just wasting your time.[/QUOTE]
It's about the principle. If you don't understand that just put me on ignore (click on my name above my avatar and select to ignore me) and carry on.

Yes this may be the first time but I'll help ensure it's also the last. Once is one time too many. It's not acceptable, period.

[quote name='ShockandAww']I beg you all for the sake of the human race. Please do not breed.

For anyone with a brain and the time, you should be contacting MS and letting them know that this is absolutely not ok. The only debatable part about this (if true) is the issue that it was MS points taken and not actual money. However I'm guessing that they cannot legally take your MS points without permission just like they can't steal your money. That may not be the case though.[/QUOTE]

First, don't worry, I used a condom with your mom.

Second, I was never saying that MS was "right", just that they have their asses covered. OP signed a contract same as us all who are on Xbox LIVE, and it says that the website isn't always going to be correct. So, if he got it from the website, and it was incorrect, and they charged him points between time of click and time of download, they're technically doing it correctly.

I mean, should all the people who downloaded during the time period it "said" free on the website get it for free? Hell, no!

And also, you're bullshitting yourselves if you think you can use the "Well, it could have been a promotion" crap. Only an idiotic asshat would think that a multi-billion dollar company would give away something that they paid millions for exclusivity of the item for free. And even if they did, why the fuck wouldn't they advertise it??? It would get the nowhere to do a secret publicity stunt that would cost them millions. Think about it.

Look, I'm going to read the flamers' responses, but I don't think I'll be posting anymore, so don't expect to get me riled up. There's only so much of this shit that a guy can take in a day, and I've definitely had my helping. Looking forward to your "responses".

[quote name='Mr Dude65']
Second, I was never saying that MS was "right", just that they have their asses covered. OP signed a contract same as us all who are on Xbox LIVE, and it says that the website isn't always going to be correct. So, if he got it from the website, and it was incorrect, and they charged him points between time of click and time of download, they're technically doing it correctly.
[/QUOTE]

This is just incorrect. Just because he "signed" a "contract" doesn't give microsoft the right to charge whatever they feel like despite the transaction listing a different price. It doesn't take a JD to figure this out, just common sense. It would be a pretty scary market out there if a company can show one price and then charge another without your consent. They likely have the right to cancel a transaction that has a price mistake, but charging for something advertised as free is EXTREMELY questionable. If what the OP describes is true, Microsoft made a mistake, they are the ones that should have to pay the price, not the consumer.

not really bait and switch because you got it free and ontop of that, took advantage of the situation. you were well aware that it was going to be paid dlc and jumped on the mistakenly 'free' error and it backfired on you. karma! by the way, next time you find something like this go and download it right away to avoid confusion and what not. By the way, i've been a member for 7 years and had a mischarge on my account on an xbla game and it took me an hour and a half on the phone of arguing to get refunded. Found out later on, it was wrong on their behalf but they didn't give me details they just refunded my account right away with the ms points. I suppose they'll pull up your account, purchase history, how long you've been a member and what not & take that into account...good luck anyways in your protest.

ITT people further trying to justify their hatred of Microsoft through stretched logic that misses all points of reason.

Christ, we're not even given the full picture and people want to go on the warpath that Microsoft should eat up the loss and take on the role of our babysitters to ensure we don't do stupid things with our own wallets.

"Personal responsibility? What's that?"

Ugh. From what I can gather from this episode, you made the purchase on the website, it had the incorrect information, it was placed on a queue for download on your XBox - which sounds to have had the correct price from the very beginning - and after some time to load up your XBox to begin the transaction you were charged the appropriate price. Stop me if I'm wrong.

This isn't like the Kobe beef example, or the surprise price tagged specialty box scenario some would like to liken it to make themselves feel better about their irrational hatred for Microsoft. This was properly labeled on the XBox, where the transactions truly take place, and the OP simply missed out on an opportunity to take advantage of a "typo" error on the webpage.

No, Microsoft shouldn't have a system set up that disallows users to download the content they initially agreed to purchase on the website for X number of stupid reasons; the consumer needs to be aware of what they're getting into and keep themselves informed until the very end of the transaction.

Is Microsoft in the wrong in this particular scenario? Depends on whether or not we've been given all of the information on zsciaeount's situation. Is this to say that Microsoft can't do no wrong nor harm? That's an asinine assumption to make from this one discussion - of course they can, a company is nothing more than a immoral entity that lives to create profits for itself so of course it can and likely has or will do harm to the consumers for the sake of making a quick buck.

But let's not act as if the customer is always right - because sometimes the customer is an out-right asshole looking to rip off the company much in the same light the company is looking to rip off its consumers.

Next time, perhaps in the future you should look over your download queue on your XBox to ensure that you're getting what you thought you were paying for as opposed to simply assuming that you're getting this great deal. Protect yourself by keeping yourself informed of your transactions and their history as opposed to trying to hold the company responsible for your own ignorance.

[quote name='SAINTofSINS']ITT people further trying to justify their hatred of Microsoft through stretched logic that misses all points of reason.

Christ, we're not even given the full picture and people want to go on the warpath that Microsoft should eat up the loss and take on the role of our babysitters to ensure we don't do stupid things with our own wallets.

Ugh. From what I can gather from this episode, you made the purchase on the website, it had the incorrect information, it was placed on a queue for download on your XBox - which sounds to have had the correct price from the very beginning - and after some time to load up your XBox to begin the transaction you were charged the appropriate price. Stop me if I'm wrong.

This isn't like the Kobe beef example, or the surprise price tagged specialty box scenario some would like to liken it to make themselves feel better about their irrational hatred for Microsoft. This was properly labeled on the XBox, where the transactions truly take place, and the OP simply missed out on an opportunity to take advantage of a "typo" error on the webpage.

No, Microsoft shouldn't have a system set up that disallows users to download the content they initially agreed to purchase on the website for X number of stupid reasons; the consumer needs to be aware of what they're getting into and keep themselves informed until the very end of the transaction.

Is Microsoft in the wrong in this particular scenario? Depends on whether or not we've been given all of the information on zsciaeount's situation. Is this to say that Microsoft can't do no wrong nor harm? That's an asinine assumption to make from this one discussion - of course they can, a company is nothing more than a immoral entity that lives to create profits for itself so of course it can and likely has or will do harm to the consumers for the sake of making a quick buck.

But let's not act as if the customer is always right - because sometimes the customer is an out-right asshole looking to rip off the company much in the same light the company is looking to rip off its consumers.

Next time, perhaps in the future you should look over your download queue on your XBox to ensure that you're getting what you thought you were paying for as opposed to simply assuming that you're getting this great deal. Protect yourself by keeping yourself informed of your transactions and their history as opposed to trying to hold the company responsible for your own ignorance.[/QUOTE]

I lied before when I said I was done posting in here.

QFT.

EDIT: Did my above post just get deleted? Could I possibly be given a reason why?

[quote name='Mr Dude65']I lied before when I said I was done posting in here.

OFT.

EDIT: Did my above post just get deleted? Could I possibly be given a reason why?[/QUOTE]

I'm assuming it's because your insult about using a condom with his mom was deemed inappropriate in behavior and language. You should start to retort, instead, with sophistication. For example, you should say that he shouldn't be allowed to breed for the sake of humanity.

[quote name='fusion0fangels']I'm assuming it's because your insult about using a condom with his mom was deemed inappropriate in behavior and language. You should start to retort, instead, with sophistication. For example, you should say that he shouldn't be allowed to breed for the sake of humanity.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, you're probably right. However, I don't think that telling someone to not have children is very sophisticated, either. Whatevs. I wish they would have just asked me to take out that one part, as the rest of the post made a very good point, and now that is all gone.

[quote name='SAINTofSINS']ITT people further trying to justify their hatred of Microsoft through stretched logic that misses all points of reason.

Next time, perhaps in the future you should look over your download queue on your XBox to ensure that you're getting what you thought you were paying for as opposed to simply assuming that you're getting this great deal. Protect yourself by keeping yourself informed of your transactions and their history as opposed to trying to hold the company responsible for your own ignorance.[/QUOTE]
Pretty sure people would be equally pissed if Nintendo or Sony retro actively charged someone for something that showed as free.
Also... look at the download queue on the Xbox? Er... once he purchases it online, there's no backing out. He purchased it for 0 points and then got charged 800. Wrong. Period. Nothing you can say that can dispute that, not logically anyway. Now, if he could look at the download queue on the Xbox as you say and he sees it pop up as "Hey! The price of this item has changed to 800 points. Would you still like to continue with the purchase?" and he could back out, then your point would have some merit. But, no. It doesn't work like that, even though that would be the best safe guard for the company and tremendously less douchey then charging the customer after they already obtained the license legally.

[quote name='SAINTofSINS']Bunch of babbling nonsense...[/QUOTE]

I shouldn't even bother responding to your nonsense, because it's obvious you have some kind of pro-MS thing going on, and it clearly upsets you that people have the nerve to actually call them out on something. I own a 360, so I'm definitely not trying to "justify" my hatred for them.

The OP clicked on something that said it was free, he purchased it for 0 MS points, and later on, after downloading it, he got charged 800 points. Can you honestly explain what is ok about this situation?

[quote name='Spyder187']Lol @ shrike deleting my post which went against the OP. Funny how those things happen around here.[/QUOTE]

I kind of doubt he deleted it because it went against the OP. More like, he deleted it, because it was a hateful, profanity laced post that added nothing at all to the conversation.

[quote name='Mr Dude65']Yeah, you're probably right. However, I don't think that telling someone to not have children is very sophisticated, either. Whatevs. I wish they would have just asked me to take out that one part, as the rest of the post made a very good point, and now that is all gone.[/QUOTE]

the rest of your post was just as worthless, just like anyone else arguing against the OP here. Quit wasting your time.

[quote name='doodofdoods']the rest of your post was just as worthless, just like anyone else arguing against the OP here. Quit wasting your time.[/QUOTE]

Good point. I really don't have to sit here and waste my time with you guys. You can whine and moan all you want in here, but none of you are gonna do anything. Thanks for helping me realize this. Good luck with your time wasting!

Quit acting like some Republican crusader. If anyone should be held accountable, it should be the company that advertised a certain price and then retroactively charged another price after the transaction took place. They took advantage of the fact that points are already purchased. The DLC said free on xbox.com and it should be free for those that purchased it in that time frame. End of discussion.

For the record, I've owned an Xbox longer than I've owned the other two systems this gen. I've been on Xbox Live for five years and crap like this is making me consider letting my Gold account lapse to Silver later this year. I'll vote with my dollars.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Pretty sure people would be equally pissed if Nintendo or Sony retro actively charged someone for something that showed as free. [/quote]
And this matters how? The topic is specifically about this one user and his "issue" with the company known specifically as Microsoft. Let's not try and turn this into something beyond that scope.

Besides, let's not get caught up in the hypothetical scenario that can not be proven.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Also... look at the download queue on the Xbox? Er... once he purchases it online, there's no backing out.[/quote]
So there isn't a "Cancel download" option? :roll:

The transaction is only complete once the download is complete, if I'm not completely mistaken.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']He purchased it for 0 points and then got charged 800.[/quote]
Despite the fact that it only said "Free" on the website and said "800MSP" on the XBox. One had to be right while the other wrong, it was his job as a consumer to protect himself and look to see which one was accurate - hint, the TOS explains which one, by default, is correct.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Wrong. Period.[/quote]
Only in the naive black and white view of things - in this case, it wasn't wrong on Microsoft's part as the correct price was labeled on the XBox system, and that holds precedence over the website pricing. End of discussion.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Nothing you can say that can dispute that[/quote]
Yeah, let's not let facts and logic get in the way of our irrational feelings against a company that has provided us one of our largest outlets of entertainment. Why shouldn't we hate everything this company does and simply bash it every minute we're on their product. :roll:

Again, who needs personal responsibility when you can just blanket statement the company as always being in the wrong - because everyone needs a scape goat to avoid admitting their own fuck up.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']not logically anyway.[/quote]
Except, I did, and it was done logically. The TOS says the website is wrong and the XBox is right, the consumer should always know better and be aware of what they're agreeing too before, during and after every transaction - again, end of discussion.

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']Now, if he could look at the download queue on the Xbox as you say and he sees it pop up as "Hey! The price of this item has changed to 800 points. Would you still like to continue with the purchase?" and he could back out, then your point would have some merit. But, no. It doesn't work like that, even though that would be the best safe guard for the company and tremendously less douchey then charging the customer after they already obtained the license legally.[/QUOTE]
Again, personal responsibility be damned. :roll:

Yeah, it's "douchey" of the company to charge the price that's advertised on the system - the very system that's stated time and again as having the correct pricing - and not at all "douchey" of the consumer to simply try and take advantage of a mistake on the company's website.

As far as I can recall, the queue can be checked at anytime to ensure several things in relation to the transaction and it's the responsibility of the consumer to protect themselves in the middle of said transaction.

And no, the item didn't suddenly change in price as the only thing in the wrong was the information on the website. As far as the XBox was concerned, as was the company, the consumer agreed to purchase the product at it's original price value of 800MS and was therefore correctly charged for the finalization of the transaction. To label it as anything else is simply disingenuous.

If anything, the only thing Microsoft should add to the queue, next to the percentage complete and size of the download is the price just as a reminder. Even then that's kind of lending too much given you should already know how much you're spending on it after hitting "Agree" on the pop-up.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']I shouldn't even bother responding to your nonsense, because it's obvious you have some kind of pro-MS thing going on, and it clearly upsets you that people have the nerve to actually call them out on something.[/quote]
It's obvious that you hate anything related to the company of Microsoft and will quickly label anyone that doesn't agree with your asinine, insane and irrational hatred of the company as some sort of fan boy or "pro-MS thing".

Yeah, I have the nerve to call out the stupidity in this thread for what it is - blubbering about how Microsoft is the spawn of Satan and is incapable of doing any kind of good because this one user opted to post one negative issue they had in which they didn't inform themself of all of the facts before making a purchase. Yup, I'm the bad guy for siding with the evil company and am Bill Gates's personal butt-boy. :roll:

It clearly upset you that I would even post my opinion that obviously differed from your own that you would even have to try and connect my post, and myself, as being "some kind of pro-MS thing" when I clearly stated towards the end that I don't believe Microsoft to always be in the right - but in this case they were. Problem? U Mad?

Don't like the opposing opinion posted? Maybe you shouldn't be in a forum discussing it as it clearly hurts your feelings.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']I own a 360, so I'm definitely not trying to "justify" my hatred for them.[/quote]
And I own green pants, so that must mean I'm not trying to justify my hatred for the color green. *Shrugs*

The hell does one have to do with the other when it's your actions and words that spell out where you truly stand? If throughout this entire thread you've posted on and on about how bad Microsoft is, not just for this one example, then it's obvious you're trying to justify your hatred of the company.

One can still hate what they partake in - tons of examples of that in this world that I dare not get into as it degrades into topics not related to video gaming.

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']The OP clicked on something that said it was free, he purchased it for 0 MS points, and later on, after downloading it, he got charged 800 points. Can you honestly explain what is ok about this situation?[/quote]
Yeah...how about I explain it in the previous post I made? Not interested in reading it again? Then I guess I'm out of words to say about it.

This was a case of something being too good to be true and the consumer didn't bother to inform themselves to ensure they wouldn't get caught up in a scenario they weren't interested in. So when can we start blaming the individual for not doing their homework, or should we always fall to laying blame on a scape goat to avoid personal responsibility?

[quote name='bigdaddybruce44']I kind of doubt he deleted it because it went against the OP. More like, he deleted it, because it was a hateful, profanity laced post that added nothing at all to the conversation.[/QUOTE]
And yet flame baiting posts that insist upon individuals that don't agree with the "general consensus" of "poor OP getting screwed" still being up is okay?

I get that with a community that mods and the such are going to have their own biases guide some of their decisions, but let's call a spade for a spade here and admit that both sides have been and are totally capable of being immature to the point of degrading this entire discussion into an orgy of trolling.

Just because you don't agree with the opinions of others that don't side with your line of "thought" doesn't mean that it isn't adding to the conversation. Aside from the opening and closing lines of Mr Dude's post it did add to the discussion, more so then ShockandAww's "contribution" of name calling and flame baiting - yet that ignorant post still exists.

But I guess it's okay to tell people they're morons so long as you reference it in a positive manner, ie. "for those people with brains." :roll:

[quote name='depascal22']Quit acting like some Republican crusader.[/quote]
Oh joy, more ignorant assumptions and labeling for the sake of comfort. What a wonderful way to open up a mature and thought-provoking discussion - by making an ass of yourself.

[quote name='depascal22']If anyone should be held accountable,[/quote]
It should be the personal making the decision to do something without all of the information - that's what you were going to say, right?

[quote name='depascal22']it should be the company[/quote]
Didn't think so...

[quote name='depascal22']that advertised a certain price and then retroactively charged another price after the transaction took place.[/quote]
Yeah - advertising the price of "Free" on the website while the XBox states the price of "800MSP" and the TOS that we all signed when becoming members of XBox Live's service states that the price on the website may not be accurate 100% of the time. Surely it's the big, bad evil company's fault that we don't read the legally binding contracts we sign. :roll:

I'd be willing to bet that if the TOS had more incentives laid inside that more people might be encouraged to read it before signing it to ensure they're actually getting a good deal, but no one, myself included, seems to remember that individual a few years back who actually read his contract and discovered an easter egg of a deal inside.

[quote name='depascal22']They took advantage of the fact that points are already purchased.[/quote]
Take advantage? Odd you'd use that term when it's evident that that was the motivation behind the OP's decision to make the purchase of this content - to TAKE ADVANTAGE of a glitch on the website. It didn't work for him so thus here we are having this "discussion".

[quote name='depascal22']The DLC said free on xbox.com and it should be free for those that purchased it in that time frame. End of discussion.[/quote]
Except your little tirade opens up the can of worms of what you do with those who purchased the DLC on their XBox's for the full 800MSP price - what, should those that saw a glitch on the website be the only ones privy to such a "sale" while those who saw the DLC pop up on their dashboards be left with the burden of having paid full price? Do you give a refund to everyone who bought the DLC on their dashboard during the time of this "sale"?

Your "ending" of the discussion seemed to actually provoke further discussion. Odd.

[quote name='depascal22']For the record, I've owned an Xbox longer than I've owned the other two systems this gen.[/quote]
That's nice - and what does this prove, exactly? Nothing? Okay, let's move on then...

[quote name='depascal22']I've been on Xbox Live for five years and crap like this is making me consider letting my Gold account lapse to Silver later this year. I'll vote with my dollars.[/QUOTE]
Crap like what? The stories of others complaining and crying that they couldn't take advantage of the company and their errors? If so then let your Gold lapse over to Silver, it's not as if the world will miss your presence on XBox - I doubt it would even be missed by the majority of the community.

What? Grandstanding your decision will suddenly start an outpouring cry and demand for your stay on Live? Were you hoping for that? What's the point of even adding that to this conversation?

Hey, guys. After I'm done here I'm going to go grab an ice cream! I'm not sure if I should grab vanilla or strawberry sherbert, though. It's kind of a tough decision. - See, pointless grandstanding.

It seems to me that people are just looking to justify their hatred of Microsoft - oh wait, I already said this, and that just resulted in someone calling me a "pro-MS thing" when they were clearly a "pro-OP thing".

And all because some guy wanted to take advantage of the system and get their content for free while the rest of the world go off and be "suckers" by paying the full ADVERTISED price. I almost feel the title of this thread should be changed to reflect its true content "MS screwed me, forced me to pay full retail for DLC I wanted for free."

I hope you win in this OP. I download everything that I see pop up as free, whether I necessarily want it or not. I know I'd have hated if they charged me for something that said it was free.

What the fuck are you talking about, Saint? Personal responsibility? If you download something on xbox.com, it downloads on your xbox the minute you fire it up. Even then, the PRICE isn't in your active downloads queue....

Out of curiosity, are you from the Riverdale section of the Bronx?

[quote name='SAINTofSINS']My desperate attempts at baiting...[/QUOTE]

images

[quote name='Friend of Sonic']So now this ten dollars has hit him so hard that maybe in the future he should re-evaluate trying to download a free expansion in case of being hit with another ten dollar charge? What are you trying to insinuate with this post?

I don't care if the OP is a billionaire. Wrong is wrong. Stop trying to say otherwise.[/QUOTE]

Please show me where it was ever stated this would be free ... except on the actual download page which changed 1/2 an hour after it went up. This DLC was heavily advertised as being 800 points, never ever was it mentioned anywhere that it would be free. When you decide to bite on an obvious glitch, you take a risk. Sometimes it pays off, sometimes it doesn't ... but give me a break when they make you pay the price for the item you were attempting to get for free. I might feel empathy if he ended up getting charged but didn't get the content ... but he paid $10 like the rest of us who bought it and actually want to support Obsidian and Bethesda. So yeah ... I'm insinuating that people need to get over having to pay the actual price that had been posted nearly everywhere prior to launch and move on to better deals they are most likely missing out on by wasting time on this ridiculous topic.

What if he was going to wait for the inevitable "Game of the Year" release with all the DLC included on a disc? Maybe the only reason he decided to get the DLC was because it was free....Does that even matter or do you only care that someone got screwed and it wasn't you?

K, etcrane. There could be a 500 million dollar marketing campaign marketing Halo 4 as 59.99, your friends talk about the 59.99 price, and your pastor gives a sermon on Halo 4 being sold for 59.99 but if you walk into Wal-Mart, have it run up as 9.99, and you pay the 9.99, it does not give Walmart the right to realize their mistake a few hours later and charge your credit card for another 50.00.

To everyone who thinks the OP got what's coming to them, respond to that above scenario and justify its legality and morality.
And Saint, I was about to say YOU brought up people being biased against Microsoft, but Bigdaddy is right. You're trolling to the nth degree.

[quote name='SAINTofSINS']
So there isn't a "Cancel download" option? :roll:

The transaction is only complete once the download is complete, if I'm not completely mistaken.
[/QUOTE]

you are completely mistaken. once you click download on xbox.com, microsoft deducts your ms points (if its paid dlc) and you can't back out of the purchase in any way. if you went on the site and clicked to download something, even if you never turned your xbox on again you already paid for it and microsoft already deducted your account. hence m$ DID retroactively charge him since the transaction was complete.

He didn't get screwed, he still has the content ... please explain how that is getting screwed? Did he not want the content, even though he went through the hassle of booting up LIVE, finding the file, getting there within the first hour it went up and downloading it? Besides, most people who thought they were getting it free are either Fallout Fanatics who wanted it when it went up or people looking to get it free because they read it was showing up free as a glitch. But the thing is, either way, going into the purchase, he would have had to know it wasn't supposed to be free. Any excuse made is a blatant lie ... I doubt the majority of people who thought they were getting this free simply stumbled upon it without knowing it was a glitch. Like I said, you win some and lose some.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back