Wii: A Great Console This Generation (edit)

omster

CAGiversary!
Feedback
28 (100%)
EDIT: With hindsight, I realize it was careless of me to say it was the best console this generation. It is not that I changed my and decided I enjoyed the PS3 more. It is because the fact I have proclaimed that it is the best system, I feel pressured from within that I need to like and play more games on it.

At that point I would no longer be playing games for fun. It would be only so that I can continue to prove to myself that I was right to satisfy a hungry ego. This of course would only lead down a miserable road.

Video games, needless to say, are not the only situation where one can fall into this vile trap, but I am not really going to go into that. Moral of the story, don't let something that should be fun become something that makes you miserable. If you enjoy something, just say that. If not, don't diss the game. It just was not for you.

I had good times with the Wii and I feel it was a great console this generation. Plain and simple. (Hence the title change from "Best Console" to "Great Console")

Please pardon my silliness for creating this thread.

Original Post:

Yes, you read the title right. No need to check your eyes for problems or check your computer for viruses. Everything here is fine.

I bought my Wii on a whim. I was at a store and I saw the last one in stock. This was at the time when the Wii was hard to find and during the holiday season. I had been unsure about the system before, but when coupled with the idea rarity, I couldn't resist.

Little did I know, I would have the best experience with it this generation.

I don't spend a whole lot time playing games these days, so when I do play a game, I expect it to be a experience worthy of my time. The first game that really blew me away was Super Mario Galaxy. It was the first time since the SNES days that I wanted to complete every single part of a game. And I did, happily. It became my favorite game of all time and my Wii purchase was justified then.

It would later be dethroned by it successor, Super Mario Galaxy 2. Even though it was the same galaxy universe, the now even much more better level designs, made it even much more more better than ever (Yep!). Every single aspect of this game was beautifully polished.

While galaxy games have been the best game experiences, there are still other Wii titles that stood out. I enjoyed Kirby's Epic Yarn plenty and it was on like Donkey Kong with Donkey Kong Country Returns. And while they are virtual console titles, I had a blast with Paper Mario for the first time and I got a chance to re-play my favorite SNES game Super Mario World.

Currently I'm playing Sin and Punishment (N64) and Twilight Princess. S&P has turned out to be more exciting than expected. Twilight Princess, while starting out slow, has started to build up to something great. My biggest problem with Zelda games is that I don't like open world games. Ironically, I've owned every single Zelda game except for the DS versions and I've only completed Minish Cap. I started the other games, but I never cared to finish them early on (Zelda games have a charm to them, bringing me back). It's looking like I'm going to complete Twilight Princess.

In my backlog I have New Super Mario Bros Wii, Pikmin NPC, Sin and Punishment: Star Successor and A Boy and His Blob. All of which I am very excited to start. I am looking forward to Skyward Sword, especially with the new control scheme and their plan to make it less open world like.

When I bought my Wii, I had a PS3 and thought that it would best console for me. I had good times with it, though none stand up to the Wii.

Anyone else out there feel the same?

Last edited by a moderator:
If you love Nintendo AAA titles of course you are going to prefer the Wii to the other consoles.

You'd have had more fun taking your dong out and waving it around....and it would have been more responsive as well.

No. Hell no. Good god no. It may be the most profitable, by far, but there is no way I could call it the best console this generation. I have nothing against motion controls, but 99% of the games that actually used them just shoehorned them improperly into a game and can DIAF. To say nothing of how poor playing online is...

I just recently got my first wii and I agree in a few ways. Mario galaxy did blow me away, the games are just simple fun. I have barely played 360 lately thanks to the new wii.

However, looking back to my best times on 360, I think the big titles there are in a league of thier own. The added muscle of the other two systems isn't neccesary to make great games (the ones you mentioned), but when great games are made for my precious 360, I feel like it will always be my favorite console.

Summary: The wii doesn't deserve the "not for real gamers" label, and it has risen to be much more than a gimmick. it has some amazing games, but 360 will always be my preferred platform for blockbuster games like RDR, Black OPs, and the Fallout series. I'll be getting the wii a dust cover the next time a game like skyrim is released.

As crazy as it might sound, I don't think that SMG2 is in my Top 5 of Wii games. I am torn though, as I was pretty much unable to decide what my favorite game of 2010 was, between SMG2, Kirby EY, and DKCR. I think it's mostly because it really felt like a lot of it was just a rehash of SMG1 with some minor improvements.

My top 5 (in no order):
DKC:R
Kirby EY
SMG 1
NSMB Wii
I want to put a non-Nintendo game here, so I'd probably go with something like Monster Hunter Tri, but I haven't really gotten that far into it. Right now I'd probably put Mario Kart Wii.

I still call my Wii the Dragon Quest 10 machine. That's why I bought it for and non of the games I played so far changed that. That doesn't mean Wii doesn't have any good games, it just means that I wouldn't have bought it if DQX wasn't announced for it.

One telling sign how popular Wii is compared to 360 and PS3 on CAG: message board activity. Wii board is basically dead while 360 and PS3 ones are very active.

The Wii? Not the best, imo. Though it is great, there are a few things that set it back. Not being able to have over 512MB (though they fixed it, it took Nintendo 2 freaking years!), it isn't powerful enough to display the games to their full potential, lack of an online profile, etc... makes the Wii more reminiscent of a last gen console (when online play was in it's beginning stages.)

The games on the other hand, are easily the best of this generation (first party anyway.)

Also, open world (Zelda or any game)=win. Who wants a game that you can't explore at your own leisure?

[quote name='jousley']You'd have had more fun taking your dong out and waving it around....and it would have been more responsive as well.[/QUOTE]

None of the games I've listed really have this issue, with the exception of DKC:R. In SMG 1&2, the hand flick motion to spin felt so right. I don't know how to explain, but in this situation I'd prefer it to pushing a button.

EDIT: On second thought, it was a bit naive to say I prefer it to pushing a button, as I really haven't tried in such a circumstance. My enthusiasm for this game does get the better of me. Nonetheless, I still feel the controls were still very responsive with the waggle and and all.

[quote name='Salamando3000']No. Hell no. Good god no. It may be the most profitable, by far, but there is no way I could call it the best console this generation. I have nothing against motion controls, but 99% of the games that actually used them just shoehorned them improperly into a game and can DIAF. To say nothing of how poor playing online is...[/QUOTE]

With the games I've listed, motion control hasn't really been forced. I'd agree the online play is underwhelming, but the Wii never has been about online, nor does it need it to be fun. The top multiplayer games SSB:B MK:Wii are best played together with friends. Nintendo wants to change that though it seems with the 3DS. I wonder how it will be implemented.

[quote name='TLFerrill']I just recently got my first wii and I agree in a few ways. Mario galaxy did blow me away, the games are just simple fun. I have barely played 360 lately thanks to the new wii.

However, looking back to my best times on 360, I think the big titles there are in a league of thier own. The added muscle of the other two systems isn't neccesary to make great games (the ones you mentioned), but when great games are made for my precious 360, I feel like it will always be my favorite console.

Summary: The wii doesn't deserve the "not for real gamers" label, and it has risen to be much more than a gimmick. it has some amazing games, but 360 will always be my preferred platform for blockbuster games like RDR, Black OPs, and the Fallout series. I'll be getting the wii a dust cover the next time a game like skyrim is released.[/QUOTE]

I agree there are more games for "real gamers" on both PS3 and 360. That said, since I spend less times with games, I only pick the best of them and it ends up being not much bigger than my Wii choices. Also, I feel the best games on those systems are the multi-platform games and so I don't really tie the experience to the system for some reason in my head.

[quote name='soonersfan60']There are lots of great Wii exclusive experiences for those with an open mind...

(and not just Nintendo's 1st party titles, either).[/QUOTE]

I'm curious to know what those would be. The only games that have interested me were A Boy and His Blob and Mercury.

[quote name='TheLongshot']Sounds more of an argument that Nintendo has made some of the best games of this generation. That I can't really argue against.[/QUOTE]

Agreed. I can't think of a single company that has released this many games with this high of quality.

[quote name='laaj']I still call my Wii the Dragon Quest 10 machine. That's why I bought it for and non of the games I played so far changed that. That doesn't mean Wii doesn't have any good games, it just means that I wouldn't have bought it if DQX wasn't announced for it.

One telling sign how popular Wii is compared to 360 and PS3 on CAG: message board activity. Wii board is basically dead while 360 and PS3 ones are very active.[/QUOTE]

Maybe the CAGs who have a Wii are busy playing it? Or it could be they are speechless after playing SMG2?:roll:

[quote name='ROB64']The Wii? Not the best, imo. Though it is great, there are a few things that set it back. Not being able to have over 512MB (though they fixed it, it took Nintendo 2 freaking years!), it isn't powerful enough to display the games to their full potential, lack of an online profile, etc... makes the Wii more reminiscent of a last gen console (when online play was in it's beginning stages.)

The games on the other hand, are easily the best of this generation (first party anyway.)

Also, open world (Zelda or any game)=win. Who wants a game that you can't explore at your own leisure?[/QUOTE]

I never thought the Wii needed high capacity. I got a 2GB SD card and never thought much again of it. I didn't know they increased it.

I have a Love/Hate thing with open world games. It's just I can never decided what to do, and I don't feel like thinking of what decision to make. At the same time, there is so much choice. :bomb:

Actually, the limit for storage on the Wii was 512MB internally and then another 2GB externally on a regular SD card. All the update in 2009 did was up the limit from 2GB (regular SD cards) to either 16GB or 32GB (SDHC).

I have a spare 4GB card in mine. I hardly ever use the thing though.

[quote name='omster']With the games I've listed, motion control hasn't really been forced. I'd agree the online play is underwhelming, but the Wii never has been about online, nor does it need it to be fun. The top multiplayer games SSB:B MK:Wii are best played together with friends. Nintendo wants to change that though it seems with the 3DS. I wonder how it will be implemented.[/QUOTE]

I'd argue it was forced into Mario Galaxy. I've said it before and I'll say it again - motion controls work best whenever the action I'm performing in the game sync up with the action I'm performing in real life. Wii sports and the entire "swing the wiimote like a golf club to swing the golf club in the game" is a perfect example of where it works. In Mario Galaxy, shaking the wii-mote to spin isn't. It felt like something that would be better mapped to a button, not a motion.

I'll give credit where credit is due...the Wii does have some mighty fine games. I just feel like those that were successful were successful not because of the hardware, but rather in spite of it. And it's easy to argue that the 360/PS3 has more better-reviewed games...a simple trip to meta-critic will tell you that.

As far as online is concerned...this is best answered with a story. In college, I played my roommate in Soul Calibur and Smash Bros quite a lot. When we graduated and moved states apart, it was easier and less problematic to play Soul Calibur online than Smash Bros. As such Smash Bros fell by the wayside rather quickly, even though many would say it's the superior game.

There was a thread on here before talking about all the great Wii exclusive games. (I don't think I saw anyone mention what some consider Nintendo's best game: Super Smash Bros. Brawl, and Fire Emblem has been neglected.)

Some 3rd party games that come to mind are Zack & Wiki, Little King's Story, Monster Hunter Tri, Epic Mickey, Fragile Dreams, Trauma Center, de Blob, Elebits, Boom Blox, Data East Arcade compilation disc, and others. Also fun which my teenage son loved were Dragon Quest Swords, One Piece Unlimited Adventure, and Ghostbusters... which is very different and reviewers say better on the Wii. (Some would include Just Dance... but not me. Many also liked Mad World and No More Heroes.)

Other games coming soon include Dragon Quest--although published by Nintendo in the U.S.--and many more since Nintendo has such a huge installed user base this generation. Anyone who really cares I'm sure can find more titles with a little effort.

[quote name='omster']WHAT???!!

Mario Kart Wii has sold 26.5 Million?!!

This list is very interesting.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_best-selling_Wii_video_games[/QUOTE]

I have a coworker who only plays Mario Kart Wii on his Wii.

Personally, I went the cheaper route and got "Sonic & Sega All Stars Racing", which has been a pretty good alternative.

While I still want a PS3 to play some games, there are more than enough good games on the Wii to keep me busy for a while.

[quote name='Altanis']Actually, the limit for storage on the Wii was 512MB internally and then another 2GB externally on a regular SD card. All the update in 2009 did was up the limit from 2GB (regular SD cards) to either 16GB or 32GB (SDHC).

I have a spare 4GB card in mine. I hardly ever use the thing though.[/QUOTE]
This is true, bBut you still couldn't play games from the SD card until they updated. You had to delete something from your Wii and copy it over before you could use it.

I agree with the OP. The Wii is made for games and it's got fun games on it. The other consoles are more like computers, they try to do too much. I bought a PS3 because there's no way I'm paying Microsoft to play online.

I use my PS3 90% for Netflix and watching videos from my computer. I download all the big name demos and most of them are boring. My favorite games were Bioshock, Assassins Creed 2 and Braid.

I know I know you guys are all about multiplayer and fragging people or whatever but I think most of these games just aren't much fun. Even Street Fighter is boring now, you go online and you don't have a chance unless you've been practicing combos for the last 2 months. Maybe I'm bad at games but I love Mario kart multiplayer and Fat Princess. Even tards like me have a fighting chance in a team setting.

The Wii was the very first console that I've ever sold off. I bought it at launch and pretty much only played Zelda and Smash Bros. I gave other games a chance, but anything that wasn't made by Nintendo just wasn't all that good IMO. Nintendo just doesn't put out enough AAA titles that justified keeping my Wii. It's been over a year since I got rid of it and I haven't regretted it.

I actually rarely play my 360 online due to the fact that I don't game 8 hours a day and thus don't have a chance to compete. Getting crushed over and over loses it's appeal pretty quickly. It is fun when I can play a game with real (not online-only) friends, but that doesn't happen often. There are exceptions, but for the most part I play it offline, with the only online component being leaderboards, ghosts and such (Trials HD is a great example.) One exception is Kinect Sports bowling, because that's one game I have a chance to win at. :) It's not even as good, not nearly, as Wii Sports Resort bowling, but being able to play that online is a win. If Wii Sports Resort had online I'd be playing that version of bowling instead, though. It doesn't. And to contrast with that, playing Kinect Sports Beach Volleyball online is no fun at all. Ace. Ace. Ace. Ace. All against me. That gets old, trust me. By far the "system" that I play the most online is my iPhone. Mostly not "live" games, rather turn based ones.

I like the Wii a lot, much more then the typical CAG, but I must admit that I haven't played it much in the past half year or so. The 360 has great download games and that's where I spend most of my time on it. The Wii's download library may well be decent, but the lack of universal free demos is a deal killer pretty much. I know they've started adding demos, but it's not all titles and so I'd have to check and see if the game I wanted to try actually has a demo, and I just don't do it. If I knew that all the games had demos I'd definitely be trying them out and undoubtedly spending some money that way.

Having said that, once Red Lynx's MotoTrialz is out for WiiWare, I expect to be spending a lot of time on the Wii again. :)

[quote name='bk187']If you love Nintendo AAA titles of course you are going to prefer the Wii to the other consoles.[/QUOTE]

and by someone who doesn't own all three for a fair comparison.

Nintendo still has the market on first party titles, but the Wii falls short in many areas in regards to the system. An archaic online structure and friend codes are still a joke. Limited storage space on the system. VC titles tied to the system and not the gamer was a poor decision (should your Wii break). I'd also argue that HD and 5.1 are far more immersive than waggle, both of which the Wii lacks.

Which brings us to forced waggle in games that don't need it like Mario Galaxy, NSMB, Metroid: OM, DKCR, et al. Pretty much any long running franchise where an action that used to be a button press but is now mapped to motion for little to no reason. (swinging a sword in Zelda makes sense, as well as controlling Pikmin, etc.). So while Nintendo's stable of characters and franchises is immense, nearly all* of them are taken down a notch this gen for forced waggle. That also leads us to a lack of support for the Classic Controller, in which nearly all these games would have been great with.

The Wii is a good 'tweener' system though for those getting into gaming for the first time or jumping back in after being away from gaming for a while. With all the cons, I just can't see it being a sole/primary system for a 'core' gamer. It's a perfect complimentary system to the other two systems though so you can still get in on all the best the Wii does have to offer.

*SMG did manage to become one of the best games this gen in spite of silly motion controls.

wii technically wins this generation because of the amount of consoles sold but not sure about the games, considering they have made so many shovelwares.

I agree with what some others have said, the "waggle" control in SMG felt just right. DKC:R on the other hand would've been better without motion control.
That being said, first party games are still some of the only ones that get motion control right, it's like third party devs don't know how to test their games.

I guess I shouldn't be shocked that many "traditional" gamers are resistant to the Wii's motion contols, since many are entrenched with the way they have always gamed, but I've never had much of a problem with it myself. Most of the struggle hasn't necessarily been with the controls themselves, but how they are implemented.

Personally, playing FPSs on the Wii is closer to how I play them with mouse/keyboard on the PC than with the typical gamepad.

Personally, I give Nintendo credit for trying to push the boundaries of the controls, which is more than I can say for Microsoft and Sony. (At least, until Nintendo gave them a swift kick in the ass and forced them to follow with their "me too!" products.

1. Shovelware is on every console.

2. Every console has motion controls now (thanks to the Wii).

3. Online gaming is unnecessary if you have friends that live near you and can just come over. If you don't have friends that can come over and play Mario Kart with you, then I feel bad for you.

4. Nintendo's Virtual Console gives access to tons of exclusive, incredible games. They aren't "HD" games, of course, but no true gamer would ever dismiss a great game based on graphics.

I use my Xbox 360 much more than my Wii, but only because games are so much cheaper on that system--I own all of the other Nintendo consoles and already have the Virtual Console titles I want. In my opinion, excellent Wii games, like Super Mario Galaxy, far outclass highly-lauded games like GTA IV, Gears of War, and Mass Effect. Maybe it's just me, but I find that straight-up excellent game play is vastly superior to the so-called mature, taboo tactics of shooting someone's head off and soliciting a hooker.

I have no problem with motion controls, except when done poorly. There's certainly been some of that, but there's also been good uses of it. NSMB Wii was done well, for example. I loved the tilting platforms, for instance, and to me the spinning up in the air by shaking the remote also felt right. Yes, occasionally you spin your way up by accident, but it wasn't a big problem and overall it was a win. Also really, really like Excitebots: Trick Racing. That game plays beautifully. I also really liked using tilt controls in ExciteBike: World Rally. Did much, much better at that game with motion control for tilting instead of pure button control. It was completely natural. And SMG2. Etc. Of course all of those are 1st party. I wish there were more good 3rd party examples, but I can't blame Nintendo for that.

[quote name='crunchewy']I have no problem with motion controls, except when done poorly. There's certainly been some of that, but there's also been good uses of it. NSMB Wii was done well, for example. I loved the tilting platforms, for instance, and to me the spinning up in the air by shaking the remote also felt right. Yes, occasionally you spin your way up by accident, but it wasn't a big problem and overall it was a win. Also really, really like Excitebots: Trick Racing. That game plays beautifully. I also really liked using tilt controls in ExciteBike: World Rally. Did much, much better at that game with motion control for tilting instead of pure button control. It was completely natural. And SMG2. Etc. Of course all of those are 1st party. I wish there were more good 3rd party examples, but I can't blame Nintendo for that.[/QUOTE]

I never heard of ExciteBots and after looking into it, it's now on to my to buy list. Is it worth it getting the wheel with it? Does it add a nice effect or just a gimmick?

On another note, I was looking through the Wii games and read up on Punchout. I had to buy it right away after that. It just seems like way too much fun, especially with Wii controller. Anyone have any opinions?

Also, I'm not one to stand up for companies, no matter how much I love their products, but I can see why Nintendo doesn't add the option of the classic controller to some games. If they did, motion control would be a gimmick and in this case the entire system would be a gimmick. Definitely a bad idea business wise. That said, I stand by my opinion that the waggle in SMG 1&2 enhanced that game (The motion only levels were VERY fun too). In DKC:R the waggle to roll did get in the way, though the ground pound motion added a very welcome feel to the game.

Last thing, why doesn't the Wii play DVDs when it has the hardware?

[quote name='omster']On another note, I was looking through the Wii games and read up on Punchout. I had to buy it right away after that. It just seems like way too much fun, especially with Wii controller. Anyone have any opinions?[/QUOTE]

Punch Out is probably one of my top three Wii games. I actually hold it in higher regards than the Mario Galaxy's. Although, I never used the motion control options for the game, I always played it with the wiimote horizontal. The extra accuracy really helps in later levels.

The game itself (for that matter, the entire series) is best described as a puzzle game masquerading as a fighting game...it's all about learning the opponent's tells/pattern and knowing how to best counter anything he throws at you.

And then Donkey Kong shows up...

[quote name='omster']Also, I'm not one to stand up for companies, no matter how much I love their products, but I can see why Nintendo doesn't add the option of the classic controller to some games. If they did, motion control would be a gimmick and in this case the entire system would be a gimmick. Definitely a bad idea business wise.[/QUOTE]

That seems like more of a condemnation of motion controls than anything. With Mario Galaxy, we'll just have to agree to disagree on whether it added or detracted from the game. I know my cat'll side with me...soo many bonk'd kitty heads...

[quote name='DOMINATOR912']The Wii was the very first console that I've ever sold off. I bought it at launch and pretty much only played Zelda and Smash Bros. I gave other games a chance, but anything that wasn't made by Nintendo just wasn't all that good IMO. Nintendo just doesn't put out enough AAA titles that justified keeping my Wii. It's been over a year since I got rid of it and I haven't regretted it.[/QUOTE]

It sounds more like you have too much time on your hands. Zelda took me forever to beat.

It's fun hearing the same arguments rehashed over and over. Wii is my favorite console this generation by far, because it offers an experience that neither of the competitors do. Motion controls aren't what win me over - in fact forced or inaccurate motion controls are a strike again the console with only a few key exceptions.

One reason Wii wins for me is because of the many good games that aren't available anywhere else. Another reason is because the controllers are simpler and more comfortable. Another is because it is far and away the least expensive system.

Are there downsides? You bet. But as someone who isn't in love with FPS titles, doesn't spend a huge amount of time gaming, and strongly prefers gaming with friends in the same room instead of strangers online there is also a lot to like.

Mario Kart Wii and NSMB are intense games, much better than the Gamecube incarnations. I still think the PS3 is on top, it has the best controller, free online and streams Netflix in HD.

Games mostly suck nowadays, so Netflix HD streaming is actually a factor.

[quote name='ejamer']in fact forced or inaccurate motion controls are a strike again the console with only a few key exceptions.
[/QUOTE]
I guess that means Kinect is a major fucking strike against Xbox. :)

[quote name='Salamando3000']Punch Out is probably one of my top three Wii games. I actually hold it in higher regards than the Mario Galaxy's. Although, I never used the motion control options for the game, I always played it with the wiimote horizontal. The extra accuracy really helps in later levels.

The game itself (for that matter, the entire series) is best described as a puzzle game masquerading as a fighting game...it's all about learning the opponent's tells/pattern and knowing how to best counter anything he throws at you.

And then Donkey Kong shows up...

That seems like more of a condemnation of motion controls than anything. With Mario Galaxy, we'll just have to agree to disagree on whether it added or detracted from the game. I know my cat'll side with me...soo many bonk'd kitty heads...[/QUOTE]

I keep getting more excited about Punchout, the more more I hear about it. It rare for me to get excited about games as I've gotten older. Anyways I guess we'll need to disagree to agree or agree to disagree (Is there a difference?!).

Also, I intended to have a neutral tone since this is a business aspect. Though a neural tone can come off as sounding negative.

[quote name='moothemagiccow']It sounds more like you have too much time on your hands. Zelda took me forever to beat.[/QUOTE]

30 hours into Zelda and I think I'm halfway done. I'm actually surprised it's this long, though I feel chunks could be cut out for the better.

[quote name='ejamer']It's fun hearing the same arguments rehashed over and over. Wii is my favorite console this generation by far, because it offers an experience that neither of the competitors do. Motion controls aren't what win me over - in fact forced or inaccurate motion controls are a strike again the console with only a few key exceptions.

One reason Wii wins for me is because there are many good that aren't available anywhere else. Another reason is because the controllers are simpler and more comfortable. Another is because it is far and away the least expensive system.

Are there downsides? You bet. But as someone who isn't in love with FPS titles, doesn't spend a huge amount of time gaming, and strongly prefers gaming with friends in the same room instead of strangers online there is also a lot to like.[/QUOTE]

Agreed.

[quote name='omster']I never heard of ExciteBots and after looking into it, it's now on to my to buy list. Is it worth it getting the wheel with it? Does it add a nice effect or just a gimmick?[/QUOTE]

I play it better with the wheel, but I think it's a YMMV type thing. People use to ExciteTruck often seem to say that they play better with the bare remote.

Punchout is pretty great and it looks beautiful - one of the best looking Wii games - but note that the game is brutally difficult later on. I actually had a lot of fun with it using motion controls, but there does get to be a point where you need the accuracy of buttons, so you'll have to switch, but I do recommend playing it with motion controls at first. They do work well, just that as I noted, once the game gets really hard, and it does, then you'll probably have to switch. I actually never finished the game because it gets so hard. I keep meaning to go back to it, but haven't yet. In spite of that difficulty later on, still a great game.

I dont turn on let alone pay the wii much... but due to its overall massive success I would have to agree with you, even though most of it comes from their first party titles...

I used to enjoy the 360 the most, but now I am all about the PS3... So my favorite console this gen is the PS3, however, the best console is hands down the wii... It attracts casual gamers, social gamers, and non gamers... It also has a few titles for the everyday gamer and don't forget those Nintendo classics... That is my opinion anyways :)

[quote name='ROB64']I guess that means Kinect is a major fucking strike against Xbox. :)[/QUOTE]

How so? They've have hundreds upon hundreds (thousand+?) core games that have nothing to do with Kinect.

[quote name='omster']I never heard of ExciteBots and after looking into it, it's now on to my to buy list. Is it worth it getting the wheel with it? Does it add a nice effect or just a gimmick?
[/QUOTE]

ExciteBots is awesome (as is ExciteTruck) but I hated the wheel. It's just cumbersome and gets in the way.

[quote name='Blade']
3. Online gaming is unnecessary if you have friends that live near you and can just come over. If you don't have friends that can come over and play Mario Kart with you, then I feel bad for you.
[/QUOTE]

:lol: Seriously? This is completely untrue. Can you have friends come over on the drop of a hat at 10:30 pm on a Tuesday? Some of us are married with kids and in turn have friends that are married with kids. Online play has been a godsend for playing together and chatting. Is it the same as getting together and talking smack while we play? Of course not, but condemning online gaming because you prefer the living room multiplayer experience is naive.

[quote name='Corvin']How so? They've have hundreds upon hundreds (thousand+?) core games that have nothing to do with Kinect.[/QUOTE]
Might want to do a tune-up of your sarcasm detector ;)

I have all three and I play the 360 is on quite often, the PS3 once and a while, and the Wii practically never.

Always interesting to see how many people really dislike Wii and never play the console, but feel compelled to follow and comment in the forums for that console. Why is that?

Yeah, I would have to agree with the OP. In terms of first party titles it isn't even close. It seems like most of my favorites this gen have been Wii games, similar to the PS2 last gen.

DKC Returns
SMG 1 + 2
NSMB Wii
Super Paper Mario
Mario Kart Wii
Zelda: TP
Wario Land Shake It
Metroid Prime 3
Kororinpa 1 + 2
Zack & Wiki
Muramasa

My two favorite games this generation have been hands down Mario Galaxy and No More Heroes, so I do like my Wii.

Overall I think I like the PS3 better. Not because of the games, but the overall functionality of it (the 160gb HD, netflix HD, rechargeable controllers, free online and no friend codes, PS3 to PSP integration of games, etc). Actually wait, I think the other reason I like the PS3 better is they actually fucking release classic games on it frequently. It's been how long and still no fucking Pilotwings 64, Earthbound (yes I know they have copyright issues but still), and some other games. Not trying to say the Wii sucks because it's still a fantastic system and I love my Wii, but it seems like Nintendo is trying to shaft us loyal virtual console users.

bread's done
Back