Best Buy Trade-in Thread: 50% Bonus with Pre-order of Rage or NBA 2K12, 9/25-10/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh47

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
!!! Promotions available in stores only, and they DO NOT stack !!!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.

Current Promos:

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer valid 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expires 10/01/2011

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

:bomb: The values in the Lists do not match the values in the Estimator. What's up with that?
I don't know. It seems the Lists are usually updated on Sundays, and the TIVs are adjusted to reflect the List in a few days. But as trades are made, the TIVs may change and the Lists are not updated frequently. Again, check the Estimator for latest TIV.

The promo says "Trade 2..." or "Trade 3..." but I only want to trade 1 game, will I still get $x amount?
You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. The promo is titled "Trade 2" etc to make the giftcards sound more lucrative.

The 2 games I want to trade are worth more than $60 combined according to the Estimator. Does that mean I will only get $60 for the 2 games?
No. You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. For example, if your total according to the Estimator is $70, you will get a $70 giftcard.

:bomb: If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as you ship it before the "Ship by" date "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value" (as of 5/2), and your games are received in the condition you declared.

How long do I have after I lock in a trade online before I have to ship it?
30 days. Has been recently changed to "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value".

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
According to BB: "We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED." Example, you can trade 3 copies of Portal 2 for PS3 and 3 copies of Portal 2 for x360 without problems. Some people have been banned from trade-ins at BB due to the violation of this policy. If you plan on trading more than 3 copies of a game per platform by doing it through various stores, you do so at your own risk and discretion.

:bomb: Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
BB used to be strict about complete copies, but this has changed, and ppl are trading games in store without manuals or cover sleeve for full TIV. If you trade online it's sometimes YMMV. I would advise you to send in complete games (case, disc, manual) since some ppl are reporting only getting 50% of the locked TIV.

I see people talking about getting Amazon giftcards by trading at Best Buy. How are they doing that?
Some Best Buys sell Kindle giftcards which can be used on Amazon.com like regular Amazon giftcards. You will not get the Kindle card with your trade, but you can buy them with your BB giftcard.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
According to BB's own FAQ:
Q: Is trade-in limited to items I bought at Best Buy?
A: No.

I don't know why this happens, but apparently some stores do not have their system setup to take non-BB purchased items at this time. Check the link above regarding stores that do video games trade-ins first.

Last edited by a moderator:
OK. So apparently Best Buy wants the ENTIRE Beatles Rock Band bundle with game for $25?:roll: Otherwise what's to stop people from just buying 6 used copies of B: RB from BB.com and trading them in for $150 at BB?

Dammit. I was hoping Twilight Princess would be on here like it was last time as I've been kicking myself about not taking that deal ever since. D:

YES! Fallout New Vegas was $16! My procrastination paided. Gonna trade the two copies I got from that GS glitch where i got Uncharted 2 and 2 FO NV for 41 shipped.

Pardon my ignorance, but is there any way to determine which Best Buy stores actually accept trades w/o calling them to find out?

Best Buy has been the highest TIV lately for older games.
Vampire Rain - $7!
Forza 2 - $3
Rock Revolution - $3
Tony Hawk Project 8 - $6

[quote name='AwRy108']Pardon my ignorance, but is there any way to determine which Best Buy stores actually accept trades w/o calling them to find out?[/QUOTE]

Go to this page and there is a link to the stores with trade-ins towards the bottom...
http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Video-G...00050010.c?id=pcmcat232900050010&DCMP=rdr3821

[quote name='drktrpr1']How is the TIV for Mario Party 8 $25? That was practically a Wii launch title![/QUOTE]

because 99% of wii games are complete garbage

[quote name='drktrpr1']How is the TIV for Mario Party 8 $25? That was practically a Wii launch title![/QUOTE]
Just roll with it and if you have it trade that in before the value tanks.

Not bad, but it was better when it was the "trade 2 get $60" not long ago. I traded in 4 and got 120 and practically paid for my PSP.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']The actual trade list doesn't have Beatles: Rock Band for BOTH PS3/360. It's only on the 360 list.[/QUOTE]

Yea I noticed the same thing. I think its pretty outrageous if you ask me. If they are going to post the deal for one console, they might as well include the others too, right? I mean the same company makes both the games, correct?

Here's the list with proper caps:

:360: Xbox 360

Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
Body And Brain Connection
Brunswick Pro Bowling
Bulletstorm Epic Edition
Call Of Duty: Black Ops
Call Of Duty: World At War Collector's Edition
Dance Central
Dance Paradise
De Blob 2
Dead Rising 2
Dead Space 2
Dragon Age II
Fable III
Fallout: New Vegas
Fifa Soccer 11
Fight Night: Champion
Halo: Reach
Kinect Sports
Kinectimals
Knights Contract
Major League Baseball 2K11
Marvel Vs Capcom 3: Fate Of Two Worlds
Medal Of Honor
Mindjack
Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit
Rango
Red Dead Redemption
Sonic Free Riders
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed II
Test Drive Unlimited 2
The Beatles: Rock Band Special Value Edition
Tron: Evolution
Two Worlds 2
Yoostar 2: In The Movies

:ps3: PS3

Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
Bulletstorm Epic Edition
De Blob 2
Dead Rising 2
Dead Space 2
Dragon Age II
Fallout: New Vegas
Fight Night: Champion
Gran Turismo 5
Hyperdimension Neptunia
Killzone 3
Littlebigplanet 2
Marvel Vs Capcom 3: Fate Of Two Worlds
Mass Effect 2
MLB The Show 2011
Rango
Red Dead Redemption
Test Drive Unlimited 2
Tron: Evolution
Two Worlds 2
Yoostar 2: In The Movies

:wii: Wii

Donkey Kong Country Returns
Epic Mickey
James Bond 007: Goldeneye
Mario Party 8
Mario Sports Mix
Mario Super Sluggers
Michael Jackson: The Experience
Need For Speed: Hot Pursuit
Punch-Out!!
Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Super Smash Bros. Brawl

I used ToggleCase for the first pass, cleaned up small errors afterwards (abreviations, Roman numerals, etc.).

[quote name='dealighted']Yea I noticed the same thing. I think its pretty outrageous if you ask me. If they are going to post the deal for one console, they might as well include the others too, right? I mean the same company makes both the games, correct?[/QUOTE]
What's even funnier is that the Beatles Rock Band version on that list isn't even in their system on the trade site.

Only the normal editions are on there and all of those only have $5 TIV's.

So unless you take a printed copy of the page with the list on it into BB with you, prepare to have to argue for $25 for B: RB.

Dang. Think I'll run in tonight and trade Black Ops + MOH for Homefront. Wonder if they're still doing preorders

Sweet, was looking for something to do with my copy of Bulletstorm (PS3)--finished it and am NEVER going to touch it again.

[quote name='AwRy108']Sweet, was looking for something to do with my copy of Bulletstorm (PS3)--finished it and am NEVER going to touch it again.[/QUOTE]
Was it the Limited Edition? If so, TRU is offering $32.60 for it.;) They also do trades in-store like BB.

They take game trades now too, as does Amazon(offering $28 for the vanilla version).

As long as you have no more than three of a particular title you should be ok, but anything over three copies of the same game they will NOT accept.

You can always try doing an in-store trade in for three and then mailing out another three though.;)

Hmm for 360

Starwars Unleashed
RDD
Beatles Rockband
TDU2
AC: Brotherhood

Seems to be the low end value of games to be worth 25. I could be wrong it was just looking off the top of my head for value.

They were gonna give me $33 for Bulletstorm (PS3), but I decided to go with the $28 that Amazon was offering, simply b/c my money goes further when I purchase from Amazon.

[quote name='Denbo32']Cod:World at war, you think they want the canteen? I think I'll trade in my game and big box for 25.[/QUOTE]

all you need is the case manual disk and cover with the right upc

[quote name='AwRy108']Pardon my ignorance, but is there any way to determine which Best Buy stores actually accept trades w/o calling them to find out?[/QUOTE]

BestBuy.com then click on store locator, pick which store you want to know and it'll say "Video Game Trade-In no receipt" under Store Services on the right if the accept them.

I got $37 for Bulletstorm from BB last week. They do have some great offers compared to GS if you do your research. It's great that you can check values directly on their site and you know they are good for at least that day. I traded in ACII and DA:O for $15 each last month at BB when GS was offering $4 each :lol:.

[quote name='Xellos2099']value is pretty weak considered i traded in blop for 38 buck at amazon a week or 2 ago. Great for older game i guess.[/QUOTE]

That's a good deal 2 weeks ago, but a lot of titles came out recently so it's bound to drop. Amazon's TIV fluctuates almost daily, I think depending on supply and demand. I've cancelled trades coz the TIV actually went up overnight after I submitted the trades online.

Like the OP says, do your homework, you could easily come out ahead on this one. I just sent Epic Mickey and Punch Out!! to Amazon today, woulda got like $15 additional credit had I known about this earlier. Thinking about taking SMBG and Mario Party 8, trading those in. $50 at Best Buy, vs. $28.50 at Amazon.
Sounds like a good trade to me. For those of you thinking about BUYING used at Best Buy, maybe think again, as last time I was there, Mafia 2 was $29.99 new, and 39.99 used. I ended up getting it from Buy.com last week for $15 new.

i locked in killzone 3 and bulletstorm for 38 a few days ago, woot. that gives me a few weeks to finish bulletstorm, altho im just gonna send kz3 cuz it isnt that fun and was an easy plat.
i wish medal of honor was 25 for ps3 also, doh!

AWRY108- always go for bestbuy credit. they give you a month compared to amazon's 7days, plus they seem more lenient with condition. also if you want amazon credit just do what i do (iamthecheapestgamer pro tip) and buy amazon gift cards at the bestbuy kindle display :) i used to worry between amazon and bestbuy credit, til i found out you can just get amazon cred at bb!

i just bought shaun white snowboarding for $5 used. complete copy. tiv is $5 at bestbuy so its a few trophies for free ;)

I assume BB won't accept a game without a manual? $15 for World at War in insane but of course GS shafted me on the manual awhile back.

[quote name='stabito']because 99% of wii games are complete garbage[/QUOTE]

Reality is that its closer to 99.9% of wii games are complete garbage. Anything not released by nintendo is basically throw away, and even then there are some major turds (wii music, animal crossing). Its the worst console of all time without a doubt.

[quote name='Lancezos']I assume BB won't accept a game without a manual? $15 for World at War in insane but of course GS shafted me on the manual awhile back.[/QUOTE]

I'm pretty sure manuals aren't required.

[quote name='blitz6speed']Reality is that its closer to 99.9% of wii games are complete garbage. Anything not released by nintendo is basically throw away, and even then there are some major turds (wii music, animal crossing). Its the worst console of all time without a doubt.[/QUOTE]

Worst console of all time? Really? C'mon now. I'm not the Wii's holy defender; there's a lot of s*** for that system.

But Galaxy 2, SSBB, Goldeneye, DCKR, TP, Xenogears, and so many more say hi ;)

[quote name='mattcube64']Worst console of all time? Really? C'mon now. I'm not the Wii's holy defender; there's a lot of s*** for that system.

But Galaxy 2, SSBB, Goldeneye, DCKR, TP, Xenogears, and so many more say hi ;)[/QUOTE]

I strongly believe that years from now, people will look back and not believe how bad the wii was as a home console game wise. BTW, you just named 5 nintendo games which i said are mostly good, and Goldeneye is pretty awful, it bombed in sales and rightfully so.

In a way its nice that the wii took the doucher casual crowd this gen, since that makes the ps3/360 machines get all the good games without compromise. The wii gets the usual mario/zelda/donkey kong stuff and shovelware no one gives a crap about, PS3/360/PC get all the top tier games of the generation back to back and hardly any shovelware to have to look at. In that way, its been a good gen. Overall, nothing is going to top the PS2 gen for game quality/quantity, it was just amazing. This gen is pretty good with some solid titles in lots of genres, especially the resurgence of the fighting game genre.

Again, i stand by my point, i strongly believe people will look back and say the wii was the worst console of all time to own.

[quote name='blitz6speed']
Again, i stand by my point, i strongly believe people will look back and say the wii was the worst console of all time to own.[/QUOTE]

All twelve people who payed MSRP for a CD-I would like to have a word with you.

[quote name='blitz6speed']I strongly believe that years from now, people will look back and not believe how bad the wii was as a home console game wise. BTW, you just named 5 nintendo games which i said are mostly good, and Goldeneye is pretty awful, it bombed in sales and rightfully so.

In a way its nice that the wii took the doucher casual crowd this gen, since that makes the ps3/360 machines get all the good games without compromise. The wii gets the usual mario/zelda/donkey kong stuff and shovelware no one gives a crap about, PS3/360/PC get all the top tier games of the generation back to back and hardly any shovelware to have to look at. In that way, its been a good gen. Overall, nothing is going to top the PS2 gen for game quality/quantity, it was just amazing. This gen is pretty good with some solid titles in lots of genres, especially the resurgence of the fighting game genre.

Again, i stand by my point, i strongly believe people will look back and say the wii was the worst console of all time to own.[/QUOTE]
Every gen and EVERY console has it's shovelware, even the 'non casual' consoles and PC.

And in the "PS2 gen" there were two other consoles, the Xbox and the Gamecube. Both had their strengths and weaknesses and both had games that were exclusive to them and just as good as anything on the PS2.

[quote name='blitz6speed']I strongly believe that years from now, people will look back and not believe how bad the wii was as a home console game wise. BTW, you just named 5 nintendo games which i said are mostly good, and Goldeneye is pretty awful, it bombed in sales and rightfully so.

I think you just aren't looking. ;)

Super Mario Galaxy
Super Mario Galaxy 2
Super Smash Bros. Brawl
Metroid Prime 3
Kirby's Epic Yarn
New Super Mario Bros
WarioWare
Donkey Kong Country Returns
Boom Blox
Boom Blox Bash
Punch-Out
Little King's Story
Zack and Wiki
Tatsunoko vs. Capcom
Sin and Punishment
Super Paper Mario
Monster Hunter Tri
No More Heroes
No More Heroes 2
Madworld
Mario Kart Wii
Muramasa
A Boy and His Blob
House of the Dead: Overkill
de Blob
Red Steel 2
Excitebots
Trauma Center

All these (exclusive) games have an average over 80 and none of them are ports, remakes, or DLC games.

Just want to point out that some Best Buys (especially in Cincinnati) are having issues with taking trade-ins. I just returned from one and was denied because their system was only taking games purchased @ Best Buy w/ receipt. I then pointed out their website says, "Video Game Trade-in No Receipt" for their store. They agreed but said sorry, "Our system has not worked right since October 2010." The manager then told me that other stores in Cincinnati have similar issues.

Best Buy customer service will be receiving a phone call from me!!!!!

Very tempting, might have to trade Red Dead Redemption and Halo:Reach in. Thanks for the heads-up on the deal.
I've never traded at Best Buy..Do they just hand you the GC when you bring the games in?

[quote name='Trendy2']Very tempting, might have to trade Red Dead Redemption and Halo:Reach in. Thanks for the heads-up on the deal.
I've never traded at Best Buy..Do they just hand you the GC when you bring the games in?[/QUOTE]

Basically but when I traded in four games a month or so ago it took about 10 minutes to complete the whole process. There were no issues or anything it's just they had to scan all the items and check the prices, then put the prices in then print out tons of paper work, you have to sign stuff, then they have to scan the GC...ugh took forever. Got $120 from 4 games though so it was worth it.

Bestbuy trade in process is very slow, no where as quick as gamestop.

Heck my store I had to wait for 10 mins just for someone to come to the counter to help me after being paged twice.

the whole trade in process took me nearly 15 mins once I got someone there to take in my 3 games.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back