Best Buy Trade-in Thread: 50% Bonus with Pre-order of Rage or NBA 2K12, 9/25-10/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh47

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
!!! Promotions available in stores only, and they DO NOT stack !!!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.

Current Promos:

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer valid 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expires 10/01/2011

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

:bomb: The values in the Lists do not match the values in the Estimator. What's up with that?
I don't know. It seems the Lists are usually updated on Sundays, and the TIVs are adjusted to reflect the List in a few days. But as trades are made, the TIVs may change and the Lists are not updated frequently. Again, check the Estimator for latest TIV.

The promo says "Trade 2..." or "Trade 3..." but I only want to trade 1 game, will I still get $x amount?
You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. The promo is titled "Trade 2" etc to make the giftcards sound more lucrative.

The 2 games I want to trade are worth more than $60 combined according to the Estimator. Does that mean I will only get $60 for the 2 games?
No. You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. For example, if your total according to the Estimator is $70, you will get a $70 giftcard.

:bomb: If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as you ship it before the "Ship by" date "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value" (as of 5/2), and your games are received in the condition you declared.

How long do I have after I lock in a trade online before I have to ship it?
30 days. Has been recently changed to "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value".

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
According to BB: "We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED." Example, you can trade 3 copies of Portal 2 for PS3 and 3 copies of Portal 2 for x360 without problems. Some people have been banned from trade-ins at BB due to the violation of this policy. If you plan on trading more than 3 copies of a game per platform by doing it through various stores, you do so at your own risk and discretion.

:bomb: Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
BB used to be strict about complete copies, but this has changed, and ppl are trading games in store without manuals or cover sleeve for full TIV. If you trade online it's sometimes YMMV. I would advise you to send in complete games (case, disc, manual) since some ppl are reporting only getting 50% of the locked TIV.

I see people talking about getting Amazon giftcards by trading at Best Buy. How are they doing that?
Some Best Buys sell Kindle giftcards which can be used on Amazon.com like regular Amazon giftcards. You will not get the Kindle card with your trade, but you can buy them with your BB giftcard.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
According to BB's own FAQ:
Q: Is trade-in limited to items I bought at Best Buy?
A: No.

I don't know why this happens, but apparently some stores do not have their system setup to take non-BB purchased items at this time. Check the link above regarding stores that do video games trade-ins first.

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm on the fence about SMG1. Just in late Jan. Amazon had Punch-out TiV at $30 out of the blue. Old Nintendo titles seem to hold the odd power of random value.

I have a SMG 1 with no manual and a "Display Only" case (with no UPC). At a place like Gamestop this would be no problem. At Amazon it would be rejected in a heartbeat.

I've never traded in store at Best Buy but if I'm in the area I guess I can give it a shot. I wouldn't expect to get far, though, especially with there being no UPC. I assume they scan them during the trade-in? I guess it is too much to hope that they are primitive and have to look them up manually. Chances are they scan them and have no clue how to look up the UPC manually so will just say they can't.

[quote name='io']I have a SMG 1 with no manual and a "Display Only" case (with no UPC). At a place like Gamestop this would be no problem. At Amazon it would be rejected in a heartbeat.

I've never traded in store at Best Buy but if I'm in the area I guess I can give it a shot. I wouldn't expect to get far, though, especially with there being no UPC. I assume they scan them during the trade-in? I guess it is too much to hope that they are primitive and have to look them up manually. Chances are they scan them and have no clue how to look up the UPC manually so will just say they can't.[/QUOTE]

io, I've traded in about 120 worth of games at best buy now. During one of my trade ins, someone was training a girl on how to do it. He was literally reading the prompts off the screen to her as they came up (as if she could not read them for herself). One of them asked whether the artwork and manual were included in the trade in. Point is, even if you get a lenient person, the screen will remind them to look for the manual.

[quote name='bgame2']io, I've traded in about 120 worth of games at best buy now. During one of my trade ins, someone was training a girl on how to do it. He was literally reading the prompts off the screen to her as they came up (as if she could not read them for herself). One of them asked whether the artwork and manual were included in the trade in. Point is, even if you get a lenient person, the screen will remind them to look for the manual.[/QUOTE]

Hmmm... I didn't think the manual was an issue at all. It never was for Dealtree PayPal trade-ins (and I believe someone above said it didn't matter for the online Best Buy credit trade-ins either). But of course in-store it could be a very different thing. So, yeah, it sounds like it isn't even worth the effort of stopping in there even when I'm driving by ;).

[quote name='Lancezos']Dang. Think I'll run in tonight and trade Black Ops + MOH for Homefront. Wonder if they're still doing preorders[/QUOTE]

good idea. started playing it today, MP is a Lot! of fun.

I would use the trade-in program more, but the people are annoying as hell when it comes to disc condition. My disc barely had a single scratch that i literally didnt even notice was there, and he deducted like half of the value off

did that guy say xenogears came out on wii? i think that's wrong, lol.
i loved my ps2, but gamecube had sweet games like eternal darkness and the real resident evil 4. that game is awesome.

[quote name='io']I have a SMG 1 with no manual and a "Display Only" case (with no UPC). At a place like Gamestop this would be no problem. At Amazon it would be rejected in a heartbeat.

I've never traded in store at Best Buy but if I'm in the area I guess I can give it a shot. I wouldn't expect to get far, though, especially with there being no UPC. I assume they scan them during the trade-in? I guess it is too much to hope that they are primitive and have to look them up manually. Chances are they scan them and have no clue how to look up the UPC manually so will just say they can't.[/QUOTE]
If you're lucky they will call over a manager and they will know how to look up the listing for the game and enter those ones manually for the ones with no UPC barcode.

I had to have them do this last month when I traded in the COD: MW games from the collection bundle, the copy of Uncharted from that ESA game pack and the Little Big Planet 2 CE copy as they all had NOT FOR RESALE on them in place of a barcode.

It is VERY YMMV as to whether or not they'll manually look them up or not, but it can't hurt to try.

I have one copy of medal of honor. If i order another used copy to make profit on, will they take two copies of the same game?

How long is this deal live for?

If i do the estimator on the bestbuy site, and proceed through checkout, will the "paperwork" still be valid if my second copy does not come in the mail until after the deal is no longer live?

I verified this evening they do not accept trades without manuals. They simply won't accept a game if there is no manual included no matter what the trade in value.

It says on their website they will accept up to 3 copies of the same game per customer per year. If you do it in store just do it 2 separate times to make it less sketchy.

Gonna ditch my Fallout: NV & probably Resonance of Fate (not on the list, but still gets a respectable $17) & pickup Yakuza 4. That's the most anyone is offering for F:NV by far, and more than I could get from selling it as well.

My best buy denied me, said that their system was down and I had to take to elsewhere where their system works. Unless I bought the games from Best Buy with a actual receipt, then I can trade it in. Best Buy is retarded, but their trade-on values are great. I will try tomorrow.

[quote name='stimes']i just traded in fallout new vegas and kinectables in store. Thanks op[/quote]

i know who you are and i'm stalking you!

Sorry, I'm not comprehending the deal.
Is it trade 2 games for 50$ credit or is it trade 2 games and get an additional 50$ gc?

[quote name='MrDenny']Sorry, I'm not comprehending the deal.
Is it trade 2 games for 50$ credit or is it trade 2 games and get an additional 50$ gc?[/QUOTE]

Trade 2 and get giftcard worth $50 or more. Everything on the list has a tiv of at least $25.

it totally blows my mind that they don't have a single store on long island that accepts trade in's, but they have a bunch upstate and in the city that do...

If you lock in a price and ship a game, can they lower the price when they receive it? I sent in homefront for $37 and hope they honor that price. I only ask 'cos it kind of alludes to that on the website...

[quote name='VxExLxVxExT']it totally blows my mind that they don't have a single store on long island that accepts trade in's, but they have a bunch upstate and in the city that do...[/QUOTE]

YUUP! bastards......

[quote name='gorebago']If I mail the games in today how long should I expect to get a gc?[/QUOTE]

BB is slow, since they can't put credit on your acct like Amazon. In my experience, the giftcard arrives anywhere from 1 week to 3 weeks AFTER they receive it.

[quote name='gorebago']If you lock in a price and ship a game, can they lower the price when they receive it? I sent in homefront for $37 and hope they honor that price. I only ask 'cos it kind of alludes to that on the website...[/QUOTE]

On the flip side, you can lock in the TIV and it'll hold at that value as long as it's mailed by the "ship by" date, even if the TIV drops. I think someone mentioned you get 1 month time to send it out.

[quote name='bh47']for those of you who do not like to ship or wait.[/QUOTE]

I made the mistake of trading-in games through the Best Buy website once. Worst trade-in experience of my life. I shipped my games in October and didn't get my gift card until February, no joke. And that included a perpetual cycle of me contacting customer service, them apologizing for forgetting to process my games, assuring me that everything will be taken care of, me waiting, then contacting customer service again only for them to tell me the same thing... This went on for months.

The Best Buy's trade-in program (who is really DealTree) seriously has the most unorganized trade-in system I have ever seen. I would highly suggest avoiding their trade-in program all together.. but if you have to try doing it in-store. Maybe you'll have a better experience.

[quote name='Passenger57']I made the mistake of trading-in games through the Best Buy website once. Worst trade-in experience of my life. I shipped my games in October and didn't get my gift card until February, no joke. And that included a perpetual cycle of me contacting customer service, them apologizing for forgetting to process my games, assuring me that everything will be taken care of, me waiting, then contacting customer service again only for them to tell me the same thing... This went on for months.

The Best Buy's trade-in program (who is really DealTree) seriously has the most unorganized trade-in system I have ever seen. I would highly suggest avoiding their trade-in program all together.. but if you have to try doing it in-store. Maybe you'll have a better experience.[/QUOTE]
Did you try seeing if one of your local BB stores was taking trades there? Ever since I found out the local stores by me take trades I refuse to mail anything in.

When does this end? They still have it up on there website, but on the estimator Fallout New Vegas 360 dropped to 12. Will it just increase the value to $25?

When does it say $50. Sorry if this has been asked I didn't see it. But, I'm all the way at the checkout screen and it says $32 (Dead rising 2 and Fable 3) still so I wasn't sure if I had to do an extra step to get the $50 gift card. Thanks!

[quote name='KMunley']When does it say $50. Sorry if this has been asked I didn't see it. But, I'm all the way at the checkout screen and it says $32 (Dead rising 2 and Fable 3) still so I wasn't sure if I had to do an extra step to get the $50 gift card. Thanks![/QUOTE]
That's because the games that were on the list were supposed to remain at a $25 TIV, but some of them have since dropped. So it was supposed to be a $25 TIV per game and NOT a $50 guaranteed gift card.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']That's because the games that were on the list were supposed to remain at a $25 TIV, but some of them have since dropped. So it was supposed to be a $25 TIV per game and NOT a $50 guaranteed gift card.[/QUOTE]

Ohh, makes sense. I tried trading them in at Amazon about 2 weeks ago and was getting about $50 for both and they were declined for being "incorrect items" didn't make any sense since I checked to make sure they were the exact versions. Just sucks because now those prices dropped significantly. Thanks for the update.

[quote name='KMunley']Ohh, makes sense. I tried trading them in at Amazon about 2 weeks ago and was getting about $50 for both and they were declined for being "incorrect items" didn't make any sense since I checked to make sure they were the exact versions. Just sucks because now those prices dropped significantly. Thanks for the update.[/QUOTE]
You're quite welcome.

However, I must ask whether or not either of those two games had a missing or altered UPC on them when you sent it into Amazon. Sometimes there is a retailer specific version of a game and/or if the copy of either game you sent in had no UPC and/or NOT FOR RESALE in the place where the UPC should go then that may be why they were rejected.

Amazon(NorAm) is also very nitpicky on condition sometimes, so something one person may consider to be 'mint' may not be considered as such by the evaluator checking the games.

i have a game that just sunk in tiv. bestbuy rep at the store said they would take it no problem, because the bar code on the back case was holepunched(why, cmon?! from gohastings.com sale) he said it would be no problem, but im hoping dealtree doesnt keep/send it back cuz of the upc shia. by then the tiv will drop from 19 to whatever. i have it locked at 25. mindjack. yep

I just found out the local store takes trade-ins... how anal are they about trading in-store? Traded once in the past, went flawlessly though it took a while, through the mail.

Just curious how the process goes vs Gamestop, for example.

So... I just packaged up a game, and sealed it... and I forgot to slip the shipping manifest in. (shows value/trade-in ID)

Is it required or not? Seems like they can look me up via name/address and find it under my account, but I'd rather be certain. First time I've forgotten to do this, but it's such a small amount of info/text, unlike Amazon. -.-

[quote name='Rhett']I just found out the local store takes trade-ins... how anal are they about trading in-store? Traded once in the past, went flawlessly though it took a while, through the mail.

Just curious how the process goes vs Gamestop, for example.[/QUOTE]

When the BB in-store trade-In process started it was terrible. I personally did it when it first started and it took like an hour for them to get me my gift card, not all the stores could do it (because some stores are not allowed to accept trade-ins of any kind without it being purchased at Best Buy, and I think some still are like that), and then you had to surrender a lot of personal info just to trade in a few games.

It's a big focus for the company this fiscal year, so they have stepped their game up in making it a lot faster and easier for the associates to do it, so it has gotten a lot better. Last time I traded in a few games last week, it took all of 10 minutes.

New question, because Best Buy decided to use a hellishly confusing shipping label that includes two methods, and about 4 barcodes...

So uh... I mailed the package via USPS (apparently the same label can be used for UPS or USPS), and I notice there isn't really a tracking number on it (for USPS). Just a 'Parcel Select Return Service' number. I folded the shipping label over the UPS barcode so it hopefully wouldn't confuse the mail man, if it makes a difference.

But yeah, kind of weird. Anyone else do a BB mail-in trade lately and have anything to add?

[quote name='Rhett']New question, because Best Buy decided to use a hellishly confusing shipping label that includes two methods, and about 4 barcodes...

So uh... I mailed the package via USPS (apparently the same label can be used for UPS or USPS), and I notice there isn't really a tracking number on it (for USPS). Just a 'Parcel Select Return Service' number. I folded the shipping label over the UPS barcode so it hopefully wouldn't confuse the mail man, if it makes a difference.

But yeah, kind of weird. Anyone else do a BB mail-in trade lately and have anything to add?[/QUOTE]

Just a FYI, but you should not fold over the label to cover the UPS barcode.

The label is intended to have both USPS and UPS labels and barcode. It is know as a UPS Basic or Sure Post.

Just traded in Assassin's Creed II :360: for $15. I was about to try and post it for sale on Amazon Marketplace, but I would have gotten maybe $9-$10 if I went that route.

Just got $25 for new vegas that i pulled from a $30 CE. Went much smoother than expected. Might have to start checking BB TiVs more.

I really like Best Buy trade in. But you gotta do it in person. Sending it in takes forever.

fujimitsu - did that FNV have a upc code?

[quote name='confoosious']I really like Best Buy trade in. But you gotta do it in person. Sending it in takes forever.

fujimitsu - did that FNV have a upc code?[/QUOTE]

It did, and I'm assuming it's the same as the NTSC one. They scanned it and gave me the credit no questions asked.

This is ps3 by the way. Looked to be the normal release, still had the "do not sell before xx/xx/10" tape on it.

[quote name='iluvmywife']Just a FYI, but you should not fold over the label to cover the UPS barcode.

The label is intended to have both USPS and UPS labels and barcode. It is know as a UPS Basic or Sure Post.[/QUOTE]

Never seen it before. I don't even think it was like that for the last BB trade I did...

Makes sense though. Think the USPS will return it to me since they can't really hand it off to UPS? (as far as I know)

Maybe I can get it back from them with a copy of the shipping label. *sigh*

[quote name='onyzukae']there is limit?? what if trade in.... 10 copy of fallout NV?!
325(buy from GS) ->500( bb GC) ?[/QUOTE]

Their policy states that they limit a person to only trading in 3 copies of the same title per year. I don't know how well enforced that is or if you can mix/match systems, but that's the official policy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back