Best Buy Trade-in Thread: 50% Bonus with Pre-order of Rage or NBA 2K12, 9/25-10/1.

Status
Not open for further replies.

bh47

CAGiversary!
Feedback
3 (100%)
!!! Promotions available in stores only, and they DO NOT stack !!!
Only the 10% Bonus from Gamers Club Unlocked will stack with these offers.

Current Promos:

- 50% Bonus with Rage or NBA 2K12 Pre-order.
Offer valid 9/25 to 10/01/2011.

- 40% Bonus with Gears of War 3 Purchase.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order/purchase Gears of War 3. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- Trade 3, Get 30% More.
Trade in 3 games or more and get 30% extra trade-in credit. Offer expires 10/01/2011

- 40% Bonus with any Pre-order.
Get a 40% extra trade-in credit when you pre-order any game. Offer expires 10/01/2011

Link: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm (click on "Show Promotions available in stores only" on top right)

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

BEST BUY'S VIDEO GAMES TRADE-IN PAGE

Check most up-to-date TIV using BB's Video Games Value Estimator.

Check which BB stores do trade-ins here.
In-store trades are now done at the Trade-In Counter at the Gaming Dept.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

F.A.Q. Best Buy has a short FAQ here.

:bomb: The values in the Lists do not match the values in the Estimator. What's up with that?
I don't know. It seems the Lists are usually updated on Sundays, and the TIVs are adjusted to reflect the List in a few days. But as trades are made, the TIVs may change and the Lists are not updated frequently. Again, check the Estimator for latest TIV.

The promo says "Trade 2..." or "Trade 3..." but I only want to trade 1 game, will I still get $x amount?
You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. The promo is titled "Trade 2" etc to make the giftcards sound more lucrative.

The 2 games I want to trade are worth more than $60 combined according to the Estimator. Does that mean I will only get $60 for the 2 games?
No. You will get whatever TIV is offered according to the Estimator for each game. For example, if your total according to the Estimator is $70, you will get a $70 giftcard.

:bomb: If I locked in a trade online, and the value drops, will I still get the locked in value when I mail it in?
Yes. You will get the locked in TIV as long as you ship it before the "Ship by" date "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value" (as of 5/2), and your games are received in the condition you declared.

How long do I have after I lock in a trade online before I have to ship it?
30 days. Has been recently changed to "Your item(s) must be received within 14 days to get the quoted value".

Can you lock in the price online then trade it in-store?
No.

Is there a limit to how many games I can trade in?
According to BB: "We will not accept more than 3 games of the same title and platform from a customer (or address) in a year. Please do not submit more than the limit as excess submissions WILL NOT BE RETURNED." Example, you can trade 3 copies of Portal 2 for PS3 and 3 copies of Portal 2 for x360 without problems. Some people have been banned from trade-ins at BB due to the violation of this policy. If you plan on trading more than 3 copies of a game per platform by doing it through various stores, you do so at your own risk and discretion.

:bomb: Can I trade game disc only, or do I need the case and manuals, too?
BB used to be strict about complete copies, but this has changed, and ppl are trading games in store without manuals or cover sleeve for full TIV. If you trade online it's sometimes YMMV. I would advise you to send in complete games (case, disc, manual) since some ppl are reporting only getting 50% of the locked TIV.

I see people talking about getting Amazon giftcards by trading at Best Buy. How are they doing that?
Some Best Buys sell Kindle giftcards which can be used on Amazon.com like regular Amazon giftcards. You will not get the Kindle card with your trade, but you can buy them with your BB giftcard.

When I do a in-store trade, I am asked: to be fingerprinted, to have my photo taken, how much I weigh, etc. What's the deal?
Pawn shop laws regulating trade-ins and resale of used goods varies from state to state or city to city. It is not Best Buy's rule, and varies from store to store depending on where you live.

I went to a store to do a trade-in and they asked for a Best Buy receipt. WTF?
According to BB's own FAQ:
Q: Is trade-in limited to items I bought at Best Buy?
A: No.

I don't know why this happens, but apparently some stores do not have their system setup to take non-BB purchased items at this time. Check the link above regarding stores that do video games trade-ins first.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='coolrust']There are some location that requires a fingerprint. One time, I went to different best buy, and I shocked too that they requires fingerprint. They said eventually all best buy will have the fingerprint machine for trade ins.[/QUOTE]

one of the bbs near me has a fingerprint machine which is why i wont be able to do the fallout new vegas flip

would be so convenient too since theres a gs right next to it :cry:

[quote name='jacknicklson']Something very satisfying about taking their gift card and buying gift cards for better places[/QUOTE]

Yeah It really is. I tried to tell my friend to do it cause the Best Buy is right near it, and he had a bunch of credit. But he isnt a CAG so he went and bought a $130 headset he could have got off Amazon for 100 and came out even more ahead cause of the flip.

I myself used my credit to buy a new video card for my new PC. Im gonna do it again I think so I can preorder Brink.

[quote name='Deuce-']Will BB accept new Vegas without a manual? I left gamestop without checking and just noticed now[/QUOTE]

you need manual/case/cd all 3

[quote name='Nelo Ice']one of the bbs near me has a fingerprint machine which is why i wont be able to do the fallout new vegas flip

would be so convenient too since theres a gs right next to it :cry:[/QUOTE]

bring your receipt to the BB. they check ur receipt not ur fingerprint.

more fast/easy trade in.

[quote name='Nelo Ice']one of the bbs near me has a fingerprint machine which is why i wont be able to do the fallout new vegas flip

Why not? You don't have fingerprints? :p

[quote name='Japakneez']Do you have to buy Kindle gift cards in pre-determined amounts such as $20 and $50?[/QUOTE]

25 and 50 i believe

Went ahead and did this a little bit ago. She said there is a limit of 3 copies of each game you are allowed to trade-in. Not sure if this is per transaction or total. I still really want to get one more $50 gift card to basically pay for portal 2.

I have over 300$ in gamestop credit that would be nice to flip to best buy for Amazon credit. is there a time when this sale ends?

Why is that such a problem? Some areas require a fingerprint before you can trade stuff in. Laws will vary by jurisdiction, just like some BB stores take the 'customer must show BB receipt for trade in' thing a bit too literal and end up REQUIRING something that isn't truly 100% required.
[quote name='Deuce-']Will BB accept new Vegas without a manual? I left gamestop without checking and just noticed now[/QUOTE]
Just go back to GS and ask them for a manual and if they say you don't need it just grab one from one of the other gutted copies off the wall.
[quote name='CaoPi']is vegas still holding $25? lol[/QUOTE]
Check: http://www.bestbuytradein.com/bb/QuoteCalculatorVideoGames.cfm
[quote name='Coper3000']Went ahead and did this a little bit ago. She said there is a limit of 3 copies of each game you are allowed to trade-in. Not sure if this is per transaction or total. I still really want to get one more $50 gift card to basically pay for portal 2.[/QUOTE]
There's a limit of three copies of a game per person per year. So unless you can get someone else to do trades for you if you're at 3 copies of one game for the year then that's it.
[quote name='bjstucker']I have over 300$ in gamestop credit that would be nice to flip to best buy for Amazon credit. is there a time when this sale ends?[/QUOTE]
Which sale is this? The BB $25 TIV deal(for which some of the values have already dropped) or the Gamestop Power Saver Sale? The GS sale ends on the 24th of this month and starting tomorrow(unless you have a Power Up Rewards card and received the early access email) GS is having a B2G1F on games.

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Which sale is this? The BB $25 TIV deal(for which some of the values have already dropped) or the Gamestop Power Saver Sale? The GS sale ends on the 24th of this month and starting tomorrow(unless you have a Power Up Rewards card and received the early access email) GS is having a B2G1F on games.[/QUOTE]

Best Buy has FO:NV dropped in price at BB?

[quote name='IAmTheCheapestGamer']Why is that such a problem? Some areas require a fingerprint before you can trade stuff in. Laws will vary by jurisdiction, just like some BB stores take the 'customer must show BB receipt for trade in' thing a bit too literal and end up REQUIRING something that isn't truly 100% required.
[/QUOTE]

guess i'll head back tomorrow and convert my gs credit to a best buy gc

[quote name='bjstucker']Best Buy has FO:NV dropped in price at BB?[/QUOTE]
No. Another store has FO NV dropped in price(hint: it's where you have $300 in cred;)) and there's a B2G1 coming up tomorrow.

So buy 3, trade 3 and transfer credit over to Best Buy that way.

Either that or buy the Kindle gift cards for $25 or $50 with the credit from FO NV trading at BB and convert that GS credit to Amazon credit.:D

sorry I was speaking about Best buy in the inital post. I was asking when the Best buy 25$ one ended as I planned to do the 300 ===> ~500 at best buy/Amazon.

[quote name='bjstucker']sorry I was speaking about Best buy in the inital post. I was asking when the Best buy 25$ one ended as I planned to do the 300 ===> ~500 at best buy/Amazon.[/QUOTE]
Oh. Well the trade values will only hold for as long as BB feels they can still make money reselling the used games they're getting in. But if people are trading in 10,000 copies of FO NV in short order, then prepare for the value to drop to $15 or less quickly then.

[quote name='SonictheHedgehog1337']Darn I dont have a best buy that does trade ins. So am I sh1t out of luck unless I send them by mail?[/QUOTE]
Pretty much. Unfortunately the by mail trade process takes at least a month.:cry:

The wording is actually 3 copies of the same game AND system per year, so you can do 3 360 versions and 3 ps3 versions in the year

[quote name='dmdragon']The wording is actually 3 copies of the same game AND system per year, so you can do 3 360 versions and 3 ps3 versions in the year[/QUOTE]
Yeah. That it is. But I figured that didn't need explanation as most would know that it's per system and not just 3 of the same game.

I was able to trade in my halo reach from the target deal.
Changed the game case from black to green.

Glad I didn't mail the game into amazon, UPC wasn't matching, BBY csr had to manually put in the game.

Wish I got in on more of the SWTFU2 from amazon b2g1. Trading in the 3 I had was a breeze(knock on wood)........

I'm a little bit unclear as to how Best Buy (Deal Tree) does their trade ins. Could someone help answer/clarify the following:

If you trade in copies in store that does NOT count towards what you can trade in online. Correct?

The limit for online trade in's is 3 PER SYSTEM per year per game title. Meaning I could trade in 3 copies of a game for Xbox 360 and 3 copies of the same game for PS3?

Lastly, how long do you have to mail the games? I have traded in through Best Buy's online trading program before but I had the games in hand at the time I locked in the TIV. I recently got in on the SWTFU2 deal through Amazon but it's saying my games aren't expected to arrive until April 14th - 20th. I locked in a few days ago. Would I still be okay shipping them in? I'm just preparing for the inevitable TIV to drop so I made sure I locked in the price online.

Thanks for all the help

So, assuming F: NV holds at $25 TIV today, I could get 3 copies at GS for about $36, then take them to BB and trade them in for a $75 GC?

Hmmmm. . . . :whistle2:k

[quote name='jacknicklson']
EDIT: Their iOS app is incredibly useful[/QUOTE]

This. I have been using the app for weeks. I scan basically every game I even consider trading to figure out the trade in value. The benefit is that you can add the scanned game to your "library" and it will store the info in list format.:applause:

[quote name='karekano126']Is FO : NV TIV still 25$? Also, would it be possible to trade in 3 copies for PS3 and 3 copies for 360?[/QUOTE]

I just traded 3 in 30 min ago and it was still $25 per. They told me only 3 total not 3 per system. I called 1888-best buy and they told me the same. Could be different for other people though.

I traded in 9 copies of FO NV (5 ps3, 5 xbox) at three different bestbuys yesterday. I only traded three at a time and i was worried when i got to the last bestbuy because they might have a record but they were taken without question.
Maybe their system takes a day to update or each bestbuy has their own trader database..

Hopefully someone from bestbuy can give us some inside info?

This is OP.

My first in-store trade at BB. 3 copies of Fallout New Vegas (2 PS3, 1 X360) and it was very smooth. Just photo ID, and no pressuring on pre-orders or anything. Took about 5 minutes to convert $33 GS cred to $75 BB cred.

[quote name='Hoos First']I just traded 3 in 30 min ago and it was still $25 per. They told me only 3 total not 3 per system. I called 1888-best buy and they told me the same. Could be different for other people though.[/QUOTE]

never call corporate. cardinal sin #1 :cold:

nice deal here, This will burn BB though and they will probably watch or be more catious on their values in the long run..

I can only imagine how many copies they will have by the end of this weekend.

[quote name='bh47']This is OP.

My first in-store trade at BB. 3 copies of Fallout New Vegas (2 PS3, 1 X360) and it was very smooth. Just photo ID, and no pressuring on pre-orders or anything. Took about 5 minutes to convert $33 GS cred to $75 BB cred.[/QUOTE]

Exact same for me wanted to get it done at the other best buy as well but all other GS's had only 1 copy a piece.

Was able to locate scattered copies of FO NV last night. Made a run to a few stores doing buy/return in order to benefit the B2G1 Free promo. Then made a dash to Bestbuy with 3 :ps3: and 1:360: in hand. Took like 20 minutes to do the transaction because the customer service didnt know how to do trades. Turned ~$40 GS into $100 BB into $100 Amazon credit. $60 for less than an hour of work, not bad.

Edit: ~$40 at Amazon goes a bit farther than $40 at GS.

I picked up 6 games, 4 of which were FO:NV ( 3x360 1xPS3 ). The other two were Calamity Trigger & Demon Souls (for me, then Goozex). I made sure all copies of NV were complete and in "like new" condition. I peeled off all of the stickers and cleaned the copies up really well (sticker residue, disc smudges, etc.).

Took them to BB and the girl gave me a $100 GC + a 10% off my next video game purchase coupon. Not bad; now I can play the other 2 and Goozex them.

So $70 exchanged for $100 GC and 1200 Goozex points ... not bad at all. I may go pick up two more :ps3: copies to get another $50 card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back