- - - - -

HP Touchpad $99.99 / $149.99

#31 Liveforlaughs76   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   303 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Liveforlaughs76

Posted 20 August 2011 - 01:57 AM

How did that one work? It still says normal price on the website

You have to have an HPA or EPP account. Unfortunately I believe the website that has the details can't be mentioned on CAG because it's a competitor but it shouldn't be too difficult to google it.

#32 TheRareWareBear   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   465 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

TheRareWareBear

Posted 20 August 2011 - 02:01 AM

Ok guys login in to ur hp accounts and the 16 gb is $99 and the 32 gb is $150.... for the 16 gb use the code SAVE15HP to get $15 off and for the 32 gb use the code SAVE30HP to get $30 off when you spend $150 and u can thx me later

#33 exileinoblivion   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1452 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

exileinoblivion

Posted 20 August 2011 - 02:05 AM

Are there any comic readers for webOS on tablets? I saw one app called comicrack but supposedly it doesn't support tablets. At $100 I would buy this just for reading comics alone but I can't seem to find any answers.

#34 donaldlee   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   126 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

Posted 20 August 2011 - 02:07 AM

Replying on the Asus Transformer I just received today for $314. I regret nothing! Maybe...

#35 Doomtime   Victor von Doom CAGiversary!   5780 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Posted 20 August 2011 - 02:09 AM

I see the drop on bestbuy.ca but on my HPA account I'm only seeing a 5% discount. Hopefully sometime later tonight.

@Techman16, thanks for the code!

#36 oasisboy   Banned Banned   3135 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

oasisboy

Posted 20 August 2011 - 02:09 AM

I never understood the fascination with tablets. If I want to browse the web, I use my laptop. If I need to write something, I use my laptop. If I need to listen to my mp3s, I use my laptop... so, what is the purpose of a tablet? Be cool at the airport?

The Toys R' Us 50% off from mini laptops was better. I got myself a nice mini laptop, which I am using right now for $108+ tax. Anyhow, good deal for a soon to be obsolete product. Apple has killed another product, first the Zune, now the HP tablet... who is next, RIM?

#37 dinovelvet   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3652 Posts   Joined 18.1 Years Ago  

dinovelvet

Posted 20 August 2011 - 02:10 AM

I never understood the fascination with tablets. If I want to browse the web, I use my laptop. If I need to write something, I use my laptop. If I need to listen to my mp3s, I use my laptop... so, what is the purpose of a tablet? Be cool at the airport?

Hey don't forget you can be seen using it at Starbucks!

#38 VipFREAK   Fun Knee! CAGiversary!   9412 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 20 August 2011 - 02:13 AM

^^^ I have a transformer. Haven't looked back. Get the keyboard.

As predicted. Nice hp, hope you're next. Garbage.

#39 Confucius   Corporate Shill CAGiversary!   16827 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Posted 20 August 2011 - 02:14 AM

I see the drop on bestbuy.ca but on my HPA account I'm only seeing a 5% discount. Hopefully sometime later tonight.

@Techman16, thanks for the code!

same here.

@VIPFreak and oasis :roll: for $100 it's basically a toy. I'm not expecting it to do my photoshop work... It's 99 f'ing dollars. I actually just got the netbook from TRU and I'm looking for the receipt so I can return it. Don't hate...

#40 ponn01   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   417 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

Posted 20 August 2011 - 02:16 AM

Crap in a freaking hat! I've been looking for a nice tablet and this awesome but I don't get paid till next Friday. What are the chances there will be any left at this price by Friday?

#41 Bacon Parade   ༼ つ ◕_◕ ༽つ CAGiversary!   674 Posts   Joined 12.5 Years Ago  

Bacon Parade

Posted 20 August 2011 - 02:17 AM

Crap in a freaking hat! I've been looking for a nice tablet and this awesome but I don't get paid till next Friday. What are the chances there will be any left at this price by Friday?

I'm pretty sure HP has more than enough units. Other online retailers like Amazon will most likely match the price tomorrow too.

#42 DirkBelig   The Belligerent One CAGiversary!   1512 Posts   Joined 16.8 Years Ago  

Posted 20 August 2011 - 02:18 AM

Let's clear up one thing: HP is killing their webOS DEVICES, not the OS itself. I got an email today from HP webOS Developer Relations that read:

Dear webOS developer:

We have opened the next chapter for webOS, and we understand that you must have many questions. Yesterday we announced that we will focus on the future of webOS as a software platform but we will no longer be producing webOS devices. While this was a difficult decision, it's one that will strengthen our ability to focus on further innovating with webOS as we forge our path forward. Throughout this journey, our developers will continue to be a vital part of the future of webOS.

We will continue to support, innovate and develop the webOS App Catalog. Our intent is to enhance our merchandising and presentation of your great products and to continue to build our webOS app ecosystem.

As many of you are aware, we are currently scheduled to hold many developer events around the world. We are planning to continue with these events, however, due to the recent announcements; the nature of them will change. These updates will be posted on our events registration site this coming week. We are eager to present to you the updated strategy for webOS and to hear your feedback.

Lastly, I wish to express our sincere appreciation for your ongoing support for webOS and the many teams responsible for it here at HP. This is a particularly dynamic time in the mobile industry and sometimes tough decisions need to be made about not only what to do, but also what not to do. This has been one of those times. Together with our great webOS developer community, we are confident that we will meet the challenges ahead and build momentum for optimal success.

We will be communicating with you frequently over the next few weeks and we look forward to hearing from you throughout this process.

Thanks for your support

Richard Kerris
VP webOS Developer Relations

It may be a futile, doomed effort, but they aren't killing and totally orphaning the Touchpad. Yeah, it's going to be limited, but it's ONE HUNDRED DOLLARS! A 9.7" tablet with Gorilla Glass screen for a C-note. Hell, I'm gonna get one just cuz! There's a Kindle app, so BAM!!! $100 eReader!

#43 dinovelvet   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3652 Posts   Joined 18.1 Years Ago  

dinovelvet

Posted 20 August 2011 - 02:19 AM

OK I haven't followed anything to do with tablets, mainly because as soon as I see they're $500, I lose interest. So basically, for a noob, what is the problem with this thing? What can it do and what can it no longer do?

#44 squll   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   14 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

Posted 20 August 2011 - 02:19 AM

Take a closer look at recent HP's news. Think twice!

http://money.cnn.com....htm?hpt=te_bn1

#45 CheapAssHustla   Hustle..Hustle Hard CAGiversary!   8359 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

CheapAssHustla

Posted 20 August 2011 - 02:20 AM

I'm picking up the 32Gb model tomorrow. It's on!

#46 Fabs   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   89 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

Posted 20 August 2011 - 02:22 AM

Looks like this is only Canada?

#47 Confucius   Corporate Shill CAGiversary!   16827 Posts   Joined 13.2 Years Ago  

Posted 20 August 2011 - 02:22 AM

Take a closer look at recent HP's news. Think twice!

http://money.cnn.com....htm?hpt=te_bn1

think twice about what?

"the company said it will continue trying to "optimize the value" of its purchase."

They'll sell it to someone for cheap.

And even if the webos dies completely, someone will figure out how to use it for all the things most people want this for. Hell, how many people immediately load ubuntu onto their netbooks?

#48 xXJonoXx   Resident Che(vil)ap CAGiversary!   943 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 20 August 2011 - 02:23 AM

Anyone who has this thing, how does it play movies I transfer to it? I assume it can read most files types?

Also, I can't find any play to buy this for $99 right now. Not even HPs site after logging in. Am I doing something wrong?

#49 osugsxr   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   475 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 20 August 2011 - 02:25 AM

I have very little interest in webos, not even sure what it is yet. But for the price of $149 for a 32gb tablet, very nice screen I love it. Basic web use, emails, facebook, probably a few apps worth using, could probably use some features for work as well. Device will probably lie around the house and just pick it up for general use, long trips wont be bad.

#50 heyheyhey11   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1110 Posts   Joined 14.6 Years Ago  

heyheyhey11

Posted 20 August 2011 - 02:26 AM

means support will very soon end, there will be no updates or fixes, if it breaks you may not be able to get it repaired, and developers will likely not make any more apps for what is now a completely dead platform.Buyer beware. These are toast.

#51 osugsxr   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   475 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 20 August 2011 - 02:26 AM

Anyone who has this thing, how does it play movies I transfer to it? I assume it can read most files types?

Also, I can't find any play to buy this for $99 right now. Not even HPs site after logging in. Am I doing something wrong?

probably going live at midnight most likely, it is confirmed at best buy usa tomorrow. Bought the 32 gb at $499, spoke with manager about it price difference and told me to come up tomorrow to speak with him. He was aware of the email that was sent out about the price drop. :applause:

#52 VipFREAK   Fun Knee! CAGiversary!   9412 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 20 August 2011 - 02:27 AM

No idea what your talking about from me. Just knew hp would kill webos... I Don't expect it todo anything "heavy duty". I can't speak for other tablets, but a tranformer is like a netbook (with keyboard) without the fail of micro$hit, does everything efficiently while still having pc functionality no other tablet would have. The asus part of the android os isn't the greatest but it still is better than dealing with micro$hit. The touch ability is vital to keeping my carpel tunnel at bay (no... It wasn't because of that.... Grow up) at least that's my reason for tablets.

#53 oasisboy   Banned Banned   3135 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

oasisboy

Posted 20 August 2011 - 02:28 AM

same here.

@VIPFreak and oasis :roll: for $100 it's basically a toy. I'm not expecting it to do my photoshop work... It's 99 f'ing dollars. I actually just got the netbook from TRU and I'm looking for the receipt so I can return it. Don't hate...

I am not hating, I just stating my point of view. You do know that the netbook is more useful that the tablet, right? You can actually have word 2007 and powerpoint 2007... plus firefox, safari, itunes, etc... Just saying.

#54 Vader582   Dark Lord of Savings CAGiversary!   3048 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 20 August 2011 - 02:29 AM

same here.

Unfortunately, I don't think TRU takes returns on Electronics, other than defectives of course.

Exceptions to 90-Day Policy
Return Guidelines for Video Games, Accessories, and Systems/Computer Software/VHS Cassettes/DVDs/Music/Electronics/Radio-Control Items/ Trading Cards/Collectibles/ Consumer Electronics/Monitors and Breastpumps

We will accept returns of the following items within 45 days from the date of purchase: video games, accessories, and systems; computer software; VHS cassettes; DVDs; music; electronics; radio-control items; trading cards; collectibles; consumer electronics; monitors and breastpumps. The original in-store receipt or online packing slip is required and the item must be returned in its unopened and factory-sealed package. If the item has been opened, we will not be able to process the return.
http://www.toysrus.c...urns#exceptions

I'm tempted to buy one of these for $89.24 too but I'm really enjoying the HP Mini netbook I picked up from TRU. Must convince myself...to not...buy this... :-k :lol:

#55 R3DH3R0   15 Years and Counting CAGiversary!   2868 Posts   Joined 17.8 Years Ago  

Sweet. $91 after tax from HP Academy store. WebOS is pretty good, it's a shame HP took over Palm and killed it.

#56 pbnate88   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   508 Posts   Joined 12.6 Years Ago  

wow this is amazing I was looking to get one. As long as theyll keep the app market alive i'm more than happy paying $100

#57 SpecialK7225   Counting Cards CAGiversary!   110 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

SpecialK7225

Posted 20 August 2011 - 02:32 AM

I can't seem to sign up for HP academy because I already used my uni email for a normal account. Anyone know a way to change the account?

If not I guess I'll wait it out. Don't need to spend the cash anyway

#58 osugsxr   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   475 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 20 August 2011 - 02:32 AM

app market is pretty much OKAY, not much in there but there are a few apps worthy of using

#59 VipFREAK   Fun Knee! CAGiversary!   9412 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

Posted 20 August 2011 - 02:34 AM

I am not hating, I just stating my point of view. You do know that the netbook is more useful that the tablet, right? You can actually have word 2007 and powerpoint 2007... plus firefox, safari, itunes, etc... Just saying.

Between the batt life on one of those and the celeron like processor, NO THANKS. Btw, there and office like suite that will do those. itunes...? Uh, I'll save my mem/resources for better things... Just saying..

#60 envelopes   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   494 Posts   Joined 10.0 Years Ago  

Posted 20 August 2011 - 02:36 AM

Word and powerpoint - fine, if you need those things. As far as firefox, safari, itunes, etc., the iPad is far and away a better internet / media device than any cheap standard computer. It's not even comparable. + it's useful for tons of other crap that cheap netbooks would be terribly suited for.

As for the touchpad, I don't know. It's an unpolished clone without a decent selection of software.

Man this thread is really blowing up. I hope I can get one of these, my girl needs something to read PDFs on since the ereader she stole from me is bad at that and I don't want her to steal my iPad too.