- - - - -

$20 GC with purchase of ANY $59.99+ 360/PS3 Game - 3pm Fri to 1pm Sat at Toys R Us

#61 radioactivez0r   Up and Atom! CAGiversary!   3910 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

radioactivez0r

Posted 10 November 2011 - 07:20 PM

Was gonna go in and grab Skylanders but it seems like it'd be the kind of title that goes on sale on BF (ala Walmart's ad). Pretty optimistic there'll be a better deal for it...

Yes and no - I look at it from this perspective: spend the $70 on the starter pack, get $40 worth of other dudes for free (if that's your fancy). That deal I'm not sure will be surpassed for some time.
Posted Image

#62 ftlee   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   147 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 10 November 2011 - 08:00 PM

Cool, going to pick up Skylanders for the 3DS for my son tomorrow and get my $20.00 gift card.

#63 Solder   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   359 Posts   Joined 6.2 Years Ago  

Posted 10 November 2011 - 08:07 PM

Was going to pass on Skyrim launch since I'll only be playing it for a few days and then swapping all my time in Ultimate MvC3 (and let's be fair, Bethesda has a poor history of buggy games on launch) but this deal is solid. Will pick it up tomorrow.

+1 Thanks OP.

#64 dragonjud   Got games, but no time CAGiversary!   3328 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Posted 10 November 2011 - 08:22 PM

Cool, going to pick up Skylanders for the 3DS for my son tomorrow and get my $20.00 gift card.

Hmmm, it has to be the Ps3 or 360 version (20gc only applies to those two systems). The deal of the week is for any Skylanders version with a $15 gc, and the legendary pack for free.

The only real problem with their offer is that they're giving you a forced 3 pack, which contains a copy of Spyro (even if it's named, and looks slightly different). That forces you to spend more money if you really want to see the entire game. Each 'elemental' area in the game is locked behind a gate, and the only way to unlock them is by spending another 8 bucs on a character of that element. So, you'll need 8-12 figures to see the majority of the game.

#65 Jcaugustine   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1023 Posts   Joined 6.8 Years Ago  

Jcaugustine

Posted 10 November 2011 - 08:42 PM

What is Toys R Us return policy on gift card with purchase?

Bought a game that came with a $15 gift card, but want to return it with the game because they have a better $20 gift card promo come Friday.

#66 dragonjud   Got games, but no time CAGiversary!   3328 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Posted 10 November 2011 - 08:49 PM

What is Toys R Us return policy on gift card with purchase?

Bought a game that came with a $15 gift card, but want to return it with the game because they have a better $20 gift card promo come Friday.

As long as the game is unopened and the gift card is still unused, you'll get your money back.

#67 Jcaugustine   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1023 Posts   Joined 6.8 Years Ago  

Jcaugustine

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:19 PM

As long as the game is unopened and the gift card is still unused, you'll get your money back.

Sweet!

You are beautiful!

#68 PrinnyOtaku   二人の秘密の基地 CAGiversary!   3307 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

PrinnyOtaku

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:41 PM

Yes and no - I look at it from this perspective: spend the $70 on the starter pack, get $40 worth of other dudes for free (if that's your fancy). That deal I'm not sure will be surpassed for some time.

Well I have no interest in hoarding the figures. I just want the 3 that come w/ the game and get the trophies... Legendary pack for free is a bonus, but that's it. Not buying any more w/ the GC.

Defynorz.png
Add me on PSN for co-op or anything

League of Legends: Defyn

#69 ftlee   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   147 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

Posted 10 November 2011 - 09:52 PM

The deal of the week is for any Skylanders version with a $15 gc, and the legendary pack for free.

Where is this at and when?

#70 tightclaws   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1839 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

tightclaws

Posted 10 November 2011 - 10:16 PM

Man my TRU sucks, it is an express and they won't carry Skyrim they only carry family friendly games no M rated games. wtf?
Posted Image

#71 dragonjud   Got games, but no time CAGiversary!   3328 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Posted 10 November 2011 - 10:39 PM

Where is this at and when?

All week at Toys Rus. From Cheapy D's post: "Toys R Us is throwing in a $15 gift card with the purchase of any $59.99+ Xbox 360 or PS3 game...Get a free Skylanders Legendary Figure 3 pack with the purchase of the Skylanders Starter Kit."

I guess it won't qualify for the 3DS version, but since Skylanders is $70, if you get the 360 or ps3 version before tomorrow afternoon you'll get the free 3 figure pack and $15.00 gc.
Others are waiting for tomorrow afternoon, when you get $20gc, plus the 3 figure pack as well. It's a decent deal, if you're interested at all.

Finally, I would advise against getting the 3DS version, since you're getting a lot less game for the same price. You won't really be able to level up your characters like in the console versions. And the progression is nothing more than rushing from the beginning of a level which consists of nothing more than a bunch of platforms...this formula is repeated over and over again.

#72 Link2999   Demon Lord CAGiversary!   2015 Posts   Joined 5.2 Years Ago  

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:09 PM

If I bought a game and then returned it later, would I get to keep the bonus giftcard? I have a copy of Skyrim coming in the mail, but I don't want to wait for it. I figured I'd buy a copy in-store and then return the mail copy to the store when I get it.

#73 Jimmienoman   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3547 Posts   Joined 5.1 Years Ago  

Jimmienoman

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:16 PM

If I bought a game and then returned it later, would I get to keep the bonus giftcard? I have a copy of Skyrim coming in the mail, but I don't want to wait for it. I figured I'd buy a copy in-store and then return the mail copy to the store when I get it.

Yes you would get to keep the GC. but the return value of the game has the GC amount deducted from it.

Ie you buy a $60 game that includes a $20 GC. When returning the game you would get $40 back as that is the return value of the game without returning the GC also.

If you are just getting the game as a place holder so you can play it until the game comes in the mail then you can return the mailed game and the GC for a full return amount.

If you really thought you could return a game for full face value and get a free GC... Really?!?!

#74 Link2999   Demon Lord CAGiversary!   2015 Posts   Joined 5.2 Years Ago  

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:21 PM

Yes you would get to keep the GC. but the return value of the game has the GC amount deducted from it.

Ie you buy a $60 game that includes a $20 GC. When returning the game you would get $40 back as that is the return value of the game without returning the GC also.

If you are just getting the game as a place holder so you can play it until the game comes in the mail then you can return the mailed game and the GC for a full return amount.

If you really thought you could return a game for full face value and get a free GC... Really?!?!

lol it was worth a try. I know that I got to keep preorder bonuses when returning other games. I'll most likely buy it at Gamestop for PUR points and spend those points before I return the game (it'll give me negative points, but at least I spent what I had).

#75 SadPanda99   I hate know it alls CAGiversary!   4530 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 10 November 2011 - 11:22 PM

hmm, well this certainly mixes things up for me a bit. I was going to pick up Sykrim on xbox from BBY and Skyrim on PC from Steam/GoG, but I guess I'll pick Sykrim up now on PC from BBY and on XBOX from TRU. Assuming they have copies in tomorrow !!
Posted Image

PM me to trade for EA PGA 11, MMA, Shift 2 Season Passes

#76 Jackovasaurus   And ya say Chi-City CAGiversary!   1382 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

Jackovasaurus

Posted 11 November 2011 - 12:50 AM

Thanks OP! Will be there 3pm sharp! They better not have ordered 2 copies for each platform.

shoopbadoop.png

#77 sigmano9   ....いい意味で CAGiversary!   172 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

sigmano9

Posted 11 November 2011 - 01:11 AM

damn, i was hoping to play a little skyrim before i start a weeked beta for star wars: TOR, but this plus the $40 gc i got from them earlier this makes skyrim "free." Nice TRU, nice.
....いい意味で

#78 spideymike   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2739 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 11 November 2011 - 01:38 AM

I'll probably pick up the vanilla version of MW3 as a placeholder in case I can't find a Hardened edition of it by Christmas and then use the gift card to pick up UMvC3 next week.

:beer:

#79 IronZombie   Time to Feed CAGiversary!   1200 Posts   Joined 5.8 Years Ago  

IronZombie

Posted 11 November 2011 - 02:29 AM

Buy 2 get 40$ was a no-go PM'ing at my local BBY. Didn't have the energy to drive down to the other one since it was already kind of late. Ah well. I'll just go pick up MW3 at TRU tomorrow after class. 20$ gift card is better than nothing.

#80 doubledown   Funky Daddy CAGiversary!   11743 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

Posted 11 November 2011 - 02:47 AM

I'm curious if MW3 will have a BF deal. If not, this might just work for me. WalMArt will have BF3 for $28, so I would imagine MW3 would be cheap somewhere.....

#81 metallicoholic   Metal 'Til I'm 60 CAGiversary!   1167 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

metallicoholic

Posted 11 November 2011 - 03:20 AM

After reading about what the free Legendary pack is, I'm slightly torn. It's just a TRU exclusive 3-pack that includes repainted figures (with different stats). One of those figures unfortunately is another Spyro, so those that go this route will actually wind up with 5 new figures and 1 repeat. Not a deal-killer but still something to think about.

Slightly off-topic but can anyone recommend Skylanders for an adult gamer that enjoys the LEGO series? My wife really wants Skylanders but I'm worried the game is going to be too aimed at kids to be enjoyed by us (we're both 26). It's a hearty investment in terms of a game since we'll have to buy more figures. Is this game anything like the other Spyro games (the old PS ones)?
Posted Image

#82 deadpool 3.0   Casual Gamer CAGiversary!   7070 Posts   Joined 9.8 Years Ago  

deadpool 3.0

Posted 11 November 2011 - 03:23 AM

I wish this was online as well. I don't have a Toys R Us. I would have bought MW3.

#83 dragonjud   Got games, but no time CAGiversary!   3328 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago  

Posted 11 November 2011 - 03:46 AM

After reading about what the free Legendary pack is, I'm slightly torn. It's just a TRU exclusive 3-pack that includes repainted figures (with different stats). One of those figures unfortunately is another Spyro, so those that go this route will actually wind up with 5 new figures and 1 repeat. Not a deal-killer but still something to think about.

Slightly off-topic but can anyone recommend Skylanders for an adult gamer that enjoys the LEGO series? My wife really wants Skylanders but I'm worried the game is going to be too aimed at kids to be enjoyed by us (we're both 26). It's a hearty investment in terms of a game since we'll have to buy more figures. Is this game anything like the other Spyro games (the old PS ones)?

It's aimed purely at kids, although there're challenges. The challenges are done by sort of handicapping the player, though, and not by really testing your skills. If I didn't have a 7 year old, I probably would've never bought it.

It is more of a Lego type of game, but even those games have some undertone which keeps you entertained (tongue in cheek humor here and there). Skylanders has very little of this, so from that perspective it is very dry.

I think the next bit of info is a bit of spoiler, but may help you make up your mind, so I'm wrapping it in spoiler tags for others:
Spoiler

#84 halofreak64   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   257 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

halofreak64

Posted 11 November 2011 - 03:55 AM

Might try and go pick up that halo action figure set and lego controller

#85 foreinter   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1110 Posts   Joined 6.1 Years Ago  

foreinter

Posted 11 November 2011 - 04:20 AM

Just got the email about this ad. It says Friday & Saturday only but doesn't say Friday 3 pm to 1 Pm Saturday.

#86 Solder   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   359 Posts   Joined 6.2 Years Ago  

Posted 11 November 2011 - 04:53 AM

I called my local TRU, and a woman confirmed it over the phone. She said they were strict about the 3 PM start time (gotta assume they're keeping specific track of sales for this). Regardless, I'm in for Skyrim. Will buy Microsoft space bucks and get first 2 DLC's "free".

Thanks again OP!

#87 CookieMonster156   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   290 Posts   Joined 5.2 Years Ago  

CookieMonster156

Posted 11 November 2011 - 05:13 AM

I have a question. If I use the $40 giftcard I got from the other promotion they had this week, will I be able to ge the $20 giftcard they are offering if I plan to buy Skyrim?

#88 GBAstar   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   9642 Posts   Joined 5.8 Years Ago  

Posted 11 November 2011 - 05:32 AM

Is the $15/$40 GC Promo still active? I plan on buying two games tomorrow so the $20 WYB one game offer doesn't really concern me. I just want to get in and get out as early as possible before the Canadian bus tours roll in

#89 budz   I like bananas CAGiversary!   617 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

Posted 11 November 2011 - 05:38 AM

Crazy question, but would stores like Best Buy, Target, Walmart, etc. accept a price match for this sale?

#90 mrright4you4now   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   630 Posts   Joined 6.5 Years Ago  

mrright4you4now

Posted 11 November 2011 - 06:18 AM

Crazy question, but would stores like Best Buy, Target, Walmart, etc. accept a price match for this sale?

I'm curious about this as well because I'm debating on going to best buy in 3 hours for a midnight launch.