DEAL IS DEAD Gamestop - used 360 controller $20 / 120 gb hd $25 / more!

paulwekiva

CAGiversary!
Feedback
11 (100%)
Deal is Dead.

Received an email from Gamestop yesterday that included a list of sale prices. Some of the highlights (used prices before PUR):

Used Xbox 360 controller (wireless) = $20

Refurbished 360 Hard Drive 60 gb = $20 120 gb = $25

Lalaloopsy (DS) = $20 new (usually $30 ... if you've got a fan in your house...)

There are several drops on holiday titles and the whole list can be found here: http://www.gamestop.com/collection/gamestop-sale?cid=eml_10000422#preownedaccessories

Edit: Several posters are saying that the 250gb HDD is $30 - $35 in store.

Edit (1/11): Although a new round of sales have started, at least the 120 gb is still showing discounted at a price of $24.99.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sweet I just picked up a 20 gb yesterday for 20 bucks, going to return this for a 250 gb if its really only 30 bucks

Edit: I just called, the 20 gig drive is on sale for $10 as well

[quote name='XF Gator']Scuttlebutt says the 250GB fat HDD is $30 in store. Good deals, especially if you need to launder GameStop credit.[/QUOTE]

nice

[quote name='joseraul']The 250GB is $30?
I may just buy one to use as an external HDD.[/QUOTE]

I called, said the 250 was $35. Not one in driving distance for me.

[quote name='oasis5001']I called, and was told the 250gb is $70.[/QUOTE]
I'm sure it needs to be scanned for the correct price to show up

[quote name='orangecrush']Am I crazy or can you not see the used 250 on the site to check for availability in stores?[/QUOTE]

Only the new one, not pre-owned.

[quote name='utopianmachine']Definitely some nice prices. For storage, you're golden if you've got an older 360. A Slim? Not so much.[/QUOTE]

How so?

For $30 you can get that 250GB HDD which will work in the slim as well, no problem. I used my old 250GB HDD when upgrading to my slim. You can open the HDD plastic case with a screw driver, remove the drive, and just drop it in your slim. Then just order a $5 slim plastic HDD holder from eBay and you are golden. (You can get the black plastic slim HDD holders for less than $5, but I opted for a USA seller who was more trustworthy, and so I would get it faster...so it was $5 instead of $3 or $4. Still peanuts compared to buying a new HDD for your slim when you dont need to.)

For $40 you could have a legit 250GB HDD for your slim. How is that not a nice price? Oh, I know...it is not a "nice" price, it is an AWESOME price! ;)

I even sold my old 250GB fat HDD plastic enclosure back on eBay for $5 (it was a genuine MS HDD enclosure that said 250GB on the top, not a knock-off case), so I didnt really pay anything for the new slim HDD case...so for $35 I have a legit 250GB HDD in my slim. Golden.

[quote name='RedRingOfDeath']How so?

For $30 you can get that 250GB HDD which will work in the slim as well, no problem. I used my old 250GB HDD when upgrading to my slim. You can open the HDD plastic case with a screw driver, remove the drive, and just drop it in your slim. Then just order a $5 slim plastic HDD holder from eBay and you are golden. (You can get the black plastic slim HDD holders for less than $5, but I opted for a USA seller who was more trustworthy, and so I would get it faster...so it was $5 instead of $3 or $4. Still peanuts compared to buying a new HDD for your slim when you dont need to.)

For $40 you could have a legit 250GB HDD for your slim. How is that not a nice price? Oh, I know...it is not a "nice" price, it is an AWESOME price! ;)

I even sold my old 250GB fat HDD plastic enclosure back on eBay for $5, so I didnt really pay anything for the new slim HDD case...so for $35 I have a legit 250GB HDD in my slim. Golden.[/QUOTE]

I think they were referring to the GS deals. If you have a fat 360, those are good prices, the slim seemed to have "slim" pickings (ouch). Of course your method would be awesome for slims =).

[quote name='wwfward']How long does this sale last?[/QUOTE]

I am not sure. Gamestop's front page says "The Holiday deals aren't over yet..." but there is no specification of a timeline.

[quote name='paulwekiva']I think they were referring to the GS deals. If you have a fat 360, those are good prices, the slim seemed to have "slim" pickings (ouch). Of course your method would be awesome for slims =).[/QUOTE]
It's really not that difficult and there is even a simple tutorial online for it; but you may need to fish out a few more bucks for a torx screw if you don't have one on hand but it beats spending $100 for a slim hardrive

[quote name='exaznkid']It's really not that difficult and there is even a simple tutorial online for it; but you may need to fish out a few more bucks for a torx screw if you don't have one on hand but it beats spending $100 for a slim hardrive[/QUOTE]

That's what I did. I bought a used 120gb HDD from GS for $18+tax when they were a daily deal last month, spent another $5 for a case on eBay and $6 for a torx screwdriver set because I had a T10 but no T6 bit. 120gb is plenty and it allowed me to upgrade my backup slim for a fraction of the cost, plus my toolbox improved.

One important note if you're buying in-store: be sure to check the MS sticker on the back of the HDD. It's not too hard for someone to swap out the actual HDD and scam a lazy GS employee. In order to open the case, though, you'd need to break that foil sticker.

I just called my local gamestop about the 250gb harddrive. He said it was 70. Is everyone sure these are on sale too?

[quote name='Wrong']I just called my local gamestop about the 250gb harddrive. He said it was 70. Is everyone sure these are on sale too?[/QUOTE]

Like I posted earlier, gs employees are lazy bastards. A lot of times with their sales the item needs to be scanned for the correct price to show up.

[quote name='Brother Daz']Like I posted earlier, gs employees are lazy bastards. A lot of times with their sales the item needs to be scanned for the correct price to show up.[/QUOTE]

Ok. I will give it a shot. Just to be sure, are both slim and fat versions on sale (obviously for different prices)?

I also used an old fatty HDD in my Slim 360 and it works just the same as it always did. You really don't need to waste 7-10 bucks for a case/enclosure for the HDD, either. I took a 49 cent sponge, cut it in half and put it in the gaps on either side of the HDD and it's snug and secure. I've packed up this particular 360 and hauled it around to different locations and never had any issue with the HDD.

cool I scooped up a 250 for 31. 59 after power up I tried to see iff the kinect would work but they have it labled as a system

Pretty sweet deals for the HDDs. I bought a used 120GB HDD a long time ago, and it worked great for about 2 years, and then I sold it on eBay. I don't know about buying used controllers, though. I'm sure most of us dump our just barely functioning controllers on GS.

Ok, this deal was too good to pass up so I expanded my search and found a 250 gig 18 miles away. It took me 45 minutes but it was worth it. My 120 only has 8-10 gigs left and I was having to delete stuff every couple weeks.

I got a Final Fantasy XIII version but its all good.
$31.49 after 10% discount. Very happy!

Now to transfer my stuff.

[quote name='Brother Daz']Like I posted earlier, gs employees are lazy bastards. A lot of times with their sales the item needs to be scanned for the correct price to show up.[/QUOTE]

Bro. Daz, you were right, as usual. Thanks to you and the original poster. :D

Well hell, I was going to upgrade today but there are none anywhere near me. There is one 60 miles away...le sigh

[quote name='Wrong']Bro. Daz, you were right, as usual. Thanks to you and the original poster. :D[/QUOTE]
No problem, I had a feeling that's what was going on.

[quote name='XF Gator']Scuttlebutt says the 250GB fat HDD is $30 in store. Good deals, especially if you need to launder GameStop credit.[/QUOTE]

Good luck finding one of those in-store. Awesome deal though if you can find it. Had to pay full MSRP 2010 Christmas to get one, and that was from Amazon.

This is correct. Promo doesn't show up in inventory screen, only when it's scanned for sale in the register program.

When I bought my 360 S a few months back, I used my old 120gb fat drive. Everything was always slow to load. I never had this issue when the old drive was in the old fat 360. I bought a 250gb drive meant for the slim and now I dont have those issues.

Also, not really sure why anyone would waste $20 on a worn out POS controller. We all know these controllers don't last long and things start getting sloppy. I would spend the extra $15 or so and just buy a new one.

[quote name='ScottBigGame']Ok, this deal was too good to pass up so I expanded my search and found a 250 gig 18 miles away. It took me 45 minutes but it was worth it. My 120 only has 8-10 gigs left and I was having to delete stuff every couple weeks.

I got a Final Fantasy XIII version but its all good.
$31.49 after 10% discount. Very happy!

Now to transfer my stuff.[/QUOTE]

Where were you able to find a link to the 250GB HDD used? On GS website they only list the new one for $109.99 at the bottom of the page with only the new option under check availability.

http://www.gamestop.com/browse/xbox-360/accessories/memory?nav=1385-75

Thanks guys (& gals) for the heads-up on the HD sale!!! I just made a few calls to stores in my area and found a 250 GB HD for $35 less the 10% PowerUp discount.

I am going to make the trip tomorrow to pick it up since my 120 GB HD is always full.

Again, thanks to all the CAG's for keeping us informed!!! :applause:

Game on!!!

Cheers,
Agent 205

[quote name='xsdeal']Where were you able to find a link to the 250GB HDD used? On GS website they only list the new one for $109.99 at the bottom of the page.

http://www.gamestop.com/browse?nav=16k-Xbox+360+Hard+Drive[/QUOTE]

I just called one near my house and asked. When they said they did not have it in stock, I asked them to look to see the nearest store that did. It helps living in a large city, where a gamestop is every couple of blocks or so.

[quote name='krashhole']Also, not really sure why anyone would waste $20 on a worn out POS controller. We all know these controllers don't last long and things start getting sloppy. I would spend the extra $15 or so and just buy a new one.[/QUOTE]

New wireless controllers are $50 on 360, that's why. Every now and then they get good stuff traded in, like the limited edition controllers. My store I shop at has had Halo 3 ODST/Reach and Gears 3 controllers come through in near mint condition. I bought the MLB The Show 11 special baseball skinned Dual Shock 3 last summer that had been used maybe once.

I called about the refurb 250GB, but the closest store that has it is over an hour away. Bah... a 250GB for $35 would have been nice to stick in a portable external.

[quote name='RedRingOfDeath']How so?

I even sold my old 250GB fat HDD plastic enclosure back on eBay for $5 (it was a genuine MS HDD enclosure that said 250GB on the top, not a knock-off case), so I didnt really pay anything for the new slim HDD case...so for $35 I have a legit 250GB HDD in my slim. Golden.[/QUOTE]

Does anyone have a link to a video that shows how to switch the hard drive? I could only show videos on youtube that show how to put just the hard drive (not the case) into the slim. I would like to buy a slim case from eBay and put a 120GB or 250GB old xbox hard drive in it like the poster mentioned

[quote name='ewiz06']Does anyone have a link to a video that shows how to switch the hard drive? I could only show videos on youtube that show how to put just the hard drive (not the case) into the slim. I would like to buy a slim case from eBay and put a 120GB or 250GB old xbox hard drive in it like the poster mentioned[/QUOTE]

It's not hard at all. You can easily figure it out. All you need to do is snap the HDD into the case the right way and plug it into the 360. As someone else mentioned, you could jerry rig your own method to keep it secure without having to buy the case.

[quote name='Wrong']I just called one near my house and asked. When they said they did not have it in stock, I asked them to look to see the nearest store that did. It helps living in a large city, where a gamestop is every couple of blocks or so.[/QUOTE]

I called 9 stores. 9Th one had the 250 I wanted. It was worth it.

The sku is 900776 When I asked the guy to do a scan he told me college park md also was showing 1. so there might be one there. I needed it to transfer from my slim I am giving away to one of my others. There should be an easier way to transfer.

I just have to choose wiuch new one to open the halo reach or the gears console. Not sure which one is more collectable.

[quote name='salty tbone']It's not hard at all. You can easily figure it out. All you need to do is snap the HDD into the case the right way and plug it into the 360. As someone else mentioned, you could jerry rig your own method to keep it secure without having to buy the case.[/QUOTE]

Cool. I think I'll give it a try tomorrow. One of my local stores has a 120GB, so after lunch tomorrow I'll pick it up.

i'm tempted to go to my gs and pick up the pink 360 controller. are these controllers really that crappy? I just got a 360 with the gears controllers so i dont know...

bread's done
Back