Free Mass Effect 3 DLC with book purchase at Barnes & Noble.com

markarubin

CAG Veteran
http://www.barnesandnoble.com/container/stores.asp?PID=41929

"From 1/23/12 - 2/20/12, when you pre-order a copy of The Art of Mass Effect Universe, you will receive a code to download extra game content for Mass Effect 3. This will include the collector's rifle, among other cool content to beat out your opponents."

http://www.barnesandnoble.com/email/nav.asp?PID=42257

The Art of Mass Effect Universe Preorder Offer Details::

When you pre-order The Art of Mass Effect Universe (ISBN: 1595827684), you will get a unique code to download game extras from Bioware.com to use in the game Mass Effect 3. Offer is valid from January 23, 2012 and ends February 20, 2012 at 2:59 a.m. Eastern Time, while supplies last.

This offer is only valid on pre-order purchases of the following item:

The Art of Mass Effect Universe (ISBN: 1595827684).

After you have placed your pre-order purchase of The Art of Mass Effect Universe, you will receive via email one (1) unique code for use to download extra game content no later than March 8th, 2012. Your code will be emailed to the email address associated with your Barnes & Noble account. Instructions for how to redeem extra game content on Bioware.com will be included in a follow-up email sent no later than March 8th, 2012. Shipping and handling charges may apply to your pre-order purchase of The Art of Mass Effect Universe.

Additional Rules Governing this Offer: This offer is (i) not redeemable for cash or cash equivalents (including Gift Cards and eGift Cards); (ii) not valid on past purchases; (iii) not eligible for pre-order purchases of any other product other than the above The Art of Mass Effect Universe; (iv) may not be combined with any other coupon or promotion or with the Educator program discount ; (v) not valid on applicable sales tax, or shipping or handling expenses, (vi) not valid on purchases made from third parties accessible from the BN.com website (e.g., used books, PC and video games, etc.)and (vii) not valid at Barnes & Noble retail bookstores or Barnes & Noble College bookstores or websites.

This offer is subject to change or discontinuation without notice; we will, however, honor properly placed orders with valid methods of payment with sufficient funds placed prior to such change or discontinuation. BN.com is not responsible for typographical or pictorial errors. Void where prohibited by law.

UPDATE: The DLC from this offer is ONLY available on PC and 360, NOT on PS3.

Last edited by a moderator:
Actually might not be. Usually the EA bonuses (From Beta's or beating other games), all go through Bioware.com. (I remember the Dragon Age 2 Signature stuff for consoles did, and it used a code)

Yeah, I think the Dr. Pepper ME2 stuff was similar. You set it all up on the website and then it became available on your game on whatever platform you were playing on.

Well a lot of DLC can be redeemed on the computer and it links with you EA account and shows up in game for the PS3 and Xbox.

Side note: I love ME but their DLC strategy is out of control right now. DLC for book and toy figures is just enhancing the opinion the game is being chopped up and incomplete. Any othef game I would be waiting for the super duper Game of the century version.

Yeah, I had this book pre-ordred anyway (though at Amazon... should I switch?) but I agree, the DLC is going nuts. Don't forget the items you get from playing the Kingdoms of Alamur: Reckoning demo too.

Ah, good memory. That's right, a lot of the bonuses unlocked for all 3 platforms.

Practically same price as Amazon's current of $26.39. Probably not a bad bonus for a little tax. And it's free shipping.

(UPDATE: The DLC is only available for PC and 360)

The DLC is available for PC and 360, it just needs to be redeemed at EA.com.

Also, none of the DLC that Bioware is making available from these books or toys is story/quest DLC. It's all weapon packs and boost packs, etc. I think it's a pretty cool marketing idea to get everyone to buy all of the related merch.

Last edited by a moderator:
maybe all the DLC will be released again for a short window and we can grab it like ME2. pretty much the motivating factor why I bought ME2 in the first place, glad I did. all that spanky DLC made the great game even more enjoyable.

26 cents cheaper on Amazon, plus no tax. I'd be paying about $2.63 for the DLC if I bought through B&N. I'll probably just go Amazon.

[quote name='BingoBrown']26 cents cheaper on Amazon, plus no tax. I'd be paying about $2.63 for the DLC if I bought through B&N. I'll probably just go Amazon.[/QUOTE]

In my case, I have a $10 B&N card from Christmas burning a hole in my pocket, so this might be a good deal.

[quote name='markarubin']The DLC is available for all three platforms, it just needs to be redeemed at EA.com.

Also, none of the DLC that Bioware is making available from these books or toys is story/quest DLC. It's all weapon packs and boost packs, etc. I think it's a pretty cool marketing idea to get everyone to buy all of the related merch.[/QUOTE]

What this man says. If it was a specific story related quest that could only be found through buying one of these extra things, then I would be pretty pissed, but they are just extra weapons and armor that are pretty fun, but not necessary.

To redeem the code you have to have your game linked to your EA account, which I think has to be linked to your bioware account. I remember when I played Dragon age 2 I had the special Dead Space 2 armor unlocked in it, even though I was playing DA2 on the 360, and Deadspace was on the PS3. I was pleasantly surprised to see that.

Not going to spend close to 30 dollars just for plain guns and etc. I'll skip plus ME3 CE is good enough especially with a GS preorder that brings more stuff for me and on top of that, content from that Kingdoms demo.

[quote name='segasaturnsnk']Not going to spend close to 30 dollars just for plain guns and etc. I'll skip plus ME3 CE is good enough especially with a GS preorder that brings more stuff for me and on top of that, content from that Kingdoms demo.[/QUOTE]

The Gamestop preorder of ME3 CE is also less interesting to me than Amazon. Through Amazon I can get it on release date for $81, no tax. If I preorder and pick up at Gamestop, it's around $87.20, and I have to actually go to Gamestop, as opposed to the UPS guy delivering it to me. Sure, you get the extra armor and rifle, but for an extra cost of about $6.20, plus the extra time spent traveling to Gamestop.

Also, if history is any indication, the armor and rifle DLC will eventually be available for a pretty nominal fee anyway, if you really need it.

[quote name='BingoBrown']The Gamestop preorder of ME3 CE is also less interesting to me than Amazon. Through Amazon I can get it on release date for $81, no tax. If I preorder and pick up at Gamestop, it's around $87.20, and I have to actually go to Gamestop, as opposed to the UPS guy delivering it to me. Sure, you get the extra armor and rifle, but for an extra cost of about $6.20, plus the extra time spent traveling to Gamestop.

Also, if history is any indication, the armor and rifle DLC will eventually be available for a pretty nominal fee anyway, if you really need it.[/QUOTE]

I'm fine by picking it up, I have zero problems because I live less than a mile away from my GS. Also, I had a bunch of trade ins and took advantage of their 60/50 percent extra so I have it paid off. I can pick this up first thing 10am at the store and play it before most of you guys waiting for UPS and the chance of your delivery screwing up so win win for me. Didn't even spend an extra 8 dollars or whatever thanks to the trade ins cutting off the tax for me. Btw, I save some money in the history while I'm at it too because I got some free DLC.

[quote name='segasaturnsnk']I'm fine by picking it up, I have zero problems because I live less than a mile away from my GS. Also, I had a bunch of trade ins and took advantage of their 60/50 percent extra so I have it paid off. I can pick this up first thing 10am at the store and play it before most of you guys waiting for UPS and the chance of your delivery screwing up so win win for me. Didn't even spend an extra 8 dollars or whatever thanks to the trade ins cutting off the tax for me. Btw, I save some money in the history while I'm at it too because I got some free DLC.[/QUOTE]

Well, thanks letting us know you're better than us! :roll:

[quote name='BmBoWnZ']Well, thanks letting us know you're better than us! :roll:[/QUOTE]

Lol, relax. He was pointing out stuff to me like I wasn't getting a deal and etc. which in reality obviously, I didn't get the best deal but in my eyes I did. Wasn't going serious business, just pointing out facts that benefited for me.

EA really is my least favorite developer/publisher when it comes to DLC.

Their DLC pre-orders always are:

- Just for pre-orders (when you miss out, you REALLY miss out a.k.a. not available for future purchase on XBLA/PSN)

- Have expiration dates (not only do you have to consider buying it overpriced on Ebay, but you have to buy it real soon)

- All over the place from demos, online surveys, liking facebooks, to having to buy soda's, strategy guides/books, etc.

[quote name='BingoBrown']
Also, if history is any indication, the armor and rifle DLC will eventually be available for a pretty nominal fee anyway, if you really need it.[/QUOTE]

Just FYI, the GameStop DLC was never released as a later DLC.

[quote name='Slermy']Just FYI, the GameStop DLC was never released as a later DLC.[/QUOTE]

You're right. I forgot they had exclusive preorder DLC last time as well. Even if it is exclusive again, I'm not sure I want to pay over $6 for it.

Can the GS bonus be had from a reservation, or do I need to actually buy the game? I have some GS credit, but the CE is unavailable from them, even in-store. Would pay $5 for the code only, though!

[quote name='DeskLaser']Didn't the Collector Rifle already come with the Mass Effect 2 Collector's Edition?[/QUOTE]

This. I think Bioware confirmed our guns carrying over in game so the question is then, are they they same?

[quote name='Blumpkin']B&N isn't the only outlet for Mass Effect 3 DLC freebies. It looks like Bioware is really expanding the DLC to all sorts of markets, like the Mass Effect action figures.[/QUOTE]

Yes, we know of the action figures, as well as pre-order bonuses and more than likely a Dr. Pepper tie-in.

Hopefully some idiot will pay $20 for this code on eBay. That'll almost cover the price of the book.

[quote name='segasaturnsnk']I'm fine by picking it up, I have zero problems because I live less than a mile away from my GS. Also, I had a bunch of trade ins and took advantage of their 60/50 percent extra so I have it paid off. I can pick this up first thing 10am at the store and play it before most of you guys waiting for UPS and the chance of your delivery screwing up so win win for me. Didn't even spend an extra 8 dollars or whatever thanks to the trade ins cutting off the tax for me. Btw, I save some money in the history while I'm at it too because I got some free DLC.[/QUOTE]

I'm sure that your $400 worth of games you traded to Gamestop for $80 after including their "promotion" is such a deal that you are almost putting Gamestop out of business with it. And saving money in the history is not even a phrase that I have ever heard of.

Is there a list of all the DLC for ME3? It seems like they've already produced so much and the game hasn't even been released yet...

Also, don't forget to download the Kingdom of Amalore demo. That game demo unlocks DLC as well. I previously posted that in the free section but I'm sure some folks here didn't know...

[quote name='croqoa']i'm sure that your $400 worth of games you traded to gamestop for $80 after including their "promotion" is such a deal that you are almost putting gamestop out of business with it. And saving money in the history is not even a phrase that i have ever heard of.[/quote]

...... OH NOES!!!!!!!!!! Got over 80 dollars but okay darling, whatever makes you sleep at night.

[quote name='croqoa']I'm sure that your $400 worth of games you traded to Gamestop for $80 after including their "promotion" is such a deal that you are almost putting Gamestop out of business with it. And saving money in the history is not even a phrase that I have ever heard of.[/QUOTE]

I don't understand post like this. It could have been games that were flipped (like I did with the BB $5 a game sale) or it could have just been games they no longer play anymore. If they don't play it then they may as well get a little bit of money rather then just let them sit around.

[quote name='100xp']maybe all the DLC will be released again for a short window and we can grab it like ME2. pretty much the motivating factor why I bought ME2 in the first place, glad I did. all that spanky DLC made the great game even more enjoyable.[/QUOTE]

If you were referring to the slip up MS had before the Mass Effect 2 Release with all the Free DLC (Pre-Order Bonuses and Edition bonuses), then yeah hope that it can happen however unlikely it may be.

Ahh, good times I remember that night it was like yesterday Mass Effect 2 boards all over the internet were blowing up with topics about the slip up. Makes me wonder how many people got in on that before MS fixed their error.

[quote name='DYNO']If you were referring to the slip up MS had before the Mass Effect 2 Release with all the Free DLC (Pre-Order Bonuses and Edition bonuses), then yeah hope that it can happen however unlikely it may be.

Ahh, good times I remember that night it was like yesterday Mass Effect 2 boards all over the internet were blowing up with topics about the slip up. Makes me wonder how many people got in on that before MS fixed their error.[/QUOTE]

I grabbed myself a fancy Collector's Armor set and rifle that night! Like the ME version of Christmas!!!

[quote name='Mr Dude65']I grabbed myself a fancy Collector's Armor set and rifle that night! Like the ME version of Christmas!!![/QUOTE]

It was actually pretty nice for people who had the CE stuff too. Could sell the armor/weapon/etc. off, rather than redeem it.

But yes, here's hoping MS slips up again (the hamster on the wheel dies, the employee flicks the wrong switch, etc.).

[quote name='BingoBrown']Info from the publisher, Dark Horse, about the DLC through [/QUOTE]

Well that pretty much tells me everything I need to know...

Also the Collector's Rifle (the DLC provided) was they go to rifle in ME2. It was far better than even the unique one you could get via upgrade 'mid game' if your character was already skilled with Assault Rifles.

[quote name='INMATEofARKHAM']Well that pretty much tells me everything I need to know...

Also the Collector's Rifle (the DLC provided) was they go to rifle in ME2. It was far better than even the unique one you could get via upgrade 'mid game' if your character was already skilled with Assault Rifles.[/QUOTE]

I seriously used that almost exclusively! Well, that, and the hand cannon and black-hole generator!

I was going to switch my pre-order from Amazon, but then I saw that the DLC doesn't work for PS3, so it doesn't do me much good.

bread's done
Back