* * * * - 7 votes

Reduced Price Guide Thread XIV (FAQ in 2nd Post)

Strategy guides

#4021 nixmahn   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2687 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Posted 14 August 2018 - 11:35 PM

I'd definitely would have been interested...I haven't been able to get a Penny Guide since Best Buy stopped doing it.  Gamestops around me don't even have guides on the shelves anymore, and if you ask them, they flat out tell you it's no longer in the system.  

I know what you mean, back in the day with BB, I'd just empty the shelves into a cart and drop a quarter with "oh I heard these were on clearance" when the cashiers eyes flashed with amazement.  Now I had to go to 4 gamestops today just to find 1 copy of Ass Creed Origins HC and FF Dissidia NT HC each.

#4022 Romeo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3934 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 15 August 2018 - 01:59 AM

I know what you mean, back in the day with BB, I'd just empty the shelves into a cart and drop a quarter with "oh I heard these were on clearance" when the cashiers eyes flashed with amazement.  Now I had to go to 4 gamestops today just to find 1 copy of Ass Creed Origins HC and FF Dissidia NT HC each.

Were those the only two HC drops? I have to hunt for those soon. Probably am too late.

#4023 IndelibleSin   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   78 Posts   Joined 6.9 Years Ago  

IndelibleSin

Posted 15 August 2018 - 06:25 AM

What? What a waste! You could have put them up on CAG. People would have easily paid you cost + shipping + gas for them.

I don't know about that, I had them listed on the trading thread for years and never got any bites. They weren't from recent drops either; last drop I got anything was at least 2 or 3 years ago. No real standout guides either. Can anyone really tell me they would have wanted any of this: https://www.cheapass...9#entry11729587

#4024 WingsDJY   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3403 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Posted 15 August 2018 - 01:36 PM

I don't know about that, I had them listed on the trading thread for years and never got any bites. They weren't from recent drops either; last drop I got anything was at least 2 or 3 years ago. No real standout guides either. Can anyone really tell me they would have wanted any of this: https://www.cheapass...9#entry11729587

Those look like mostly softcovers. You made the right call. I'm about to do the same with my pile of non-CE guides. Just can't seem to bring myself to toss hardcover guides though. May just give them to Goodwill

#4025 nixmahn   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2687 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Posted 16 August 2018 - 04:38 AM

Were those the only two HC drops? I have to hunt for those soon. Probably am too late.

HC ultra sun/moon and HC pokedex maybe?

#4026 Romeo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3934 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 18 September 2018 - 05:57 AM

HC ultra sun/moon and HC pokedex maybe?

No updates as of yet, just replying to asking if anyone found the pokemon CE drops at all?

Also, does anyone know of any current amazon discounts or codes for book purchases? There are some futurepress guides I'd like to pick up that. Since gamestop stopped carrying them I don't see any other option except amazon.

#4027 Darby27   Licensed to Dill CAGiversary!   13550 Posts   Joined 5.4 Years Ago  

Posted 18 September 2018 - 12:35 PM

Picked up two CoD WWII HCs the other day for free, thanks Obama!

#4028 Romeo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3934 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 18 September 2018 - 03:50 PM

Picked up two CoD WWII HCs the other day for free, thanks Obama!

There it is! It’s been a long time.

#4029 nixmahn   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2687 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Posted 21 September 2018 - 07:16 PM

@6:06,  mario odysey paper dropped and possibly Wii Sing it

#4030 Romeo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3934 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 03 October 2018 - 11:36 PM

Did everyone give up on the thread? 

HUGE DROP DAY today! I'm really shocked it's a ghost town here anymore.

#4031 shakenbake31  

shakenbake31

Posted 04 October 2018 - 01:27 AM

Are they Mario Odyssey HC, FF Zodiac Age HC? Anything else?

#4032 Romeo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3934 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 04 October 2018 - 02:11 AM

Are they Mario Odyssey HC, FF Zodiac Age HC? Anything else?

Official drop list (may be more):

God of War CE

Mario Odyssey CE

Far Cry 5 CE

Final Fantasy XII CE

Pokemon Visual Companion 2nd edition

#4033 spacegundam0079   Itchy, Tasty ... CAGiversary!   1393 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

spacegundam0079

Posted 04 October 2018 - 02:18 AM

Damn ! Will try to find these but am prepared to hear the wah wah wa price is right song upon looking for them.

#4034 Pookymeister   I like almonds Super Moderators   15558 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Pookymeister

Posted 04 October 2018 - 02:27 AM

I was able to dump a big lot off on CL, mostly junk like you have there for about $1 each. Did take a while, but luckily not short on space. Kept a few that were worth at least $5+ and still have a bookshelf full of my own collection that collects dust.

#4035 Mrclarkkent  

Mrclarkkent

Posted 04 October 2018 - 11:58 PM

A big thank you Romeo. I was able to get a God of War CE. Was waiting for a 50% off sale on guides glad I didn't miss out.

#4036 trchavez416  

trchavez416

Posted 05 October 2018 - 12:25 AM

I keep up with the thread, but I've had no luck ever when it comes to grabbing any penny guides. Not sure if it's just me running into a bunch of JDs, crappy luck, no inventory or some combo of all of the above.

#4037 nixmahn   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2687 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Posted 05 October 2018 - 12:57 AM

God of War CE

Mario Odyssey CE

Far Cry 5 CE

Elder Scroll online Summer Set CE

got extras for trade

also pennied, don't know when

Dr strange costers, no pic, apparently they were ceramic

Harry potter costers, hard carboard/plastic?

anime  green "Black Butler" coffee mug, no pic

200 piecs puzzles, the 2 zelda botw, fallout4, and destiny

playing cards, nickelodean branded, the best ones are the original tv TMNT

tall starwars branded shot glasses Lando design, got a set of 4

starwars branded paint brush ceramic bottle holder Lando design?

penny.JPG

#4038 Romeo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3934 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 05 October 2018 - 01:01 AM

Nice list nix. ESO CE dropped a month ago with AC Origins CE. Didn't know puzzles pennies. Would have grabbed some for gifts if I knew.

I'm still looking for a sealed CoD WWII CE if anyone has one.

#4039 skrockij89  

skrockij89

Posted 05 October 2018 - 01:20 AM

God of War CE

Mario Odyssey CE

Far Cry 5 CE

got extras for trade

Dr strange costers, no pic

Harry potter costers

anime  green "Black Butler" mug, no pic

playing cards, the best ones are the original tv TMNT

tall starwars branded shot glasses, got a set of 4

starwars branded paint brush holder?

attachicon.gifpenny.JPG

Willing to sell any of your extra guides? The only store in my area never lets me pick up any of the penny guides. 

#4040 St_ad3pt  

St_ad3pt

Posted 05 October 2018 - 06:48 PM

God of War CE

Mario Odyssey CE

Far Cry 5 CE

got extras for trade

Dr strange costers, no pic, apparently they were ceramic

Harry potter costers, hard carboard/plastic?

anime  green "Black Butler" coffee mug, no pic

playing cards, nickelodean branded, the best ones are the original tv TMNT

tall starwars branded shot glasses Lando design, got a set of 4

starwars branded paint brush ceramic bottle holder Lando design?

attachicon.gifpenny.JPG

If you're willing to trade I have an extra Rise of the Tomb Raider Hardcover, may have others and will update if I find more

#4041 nixmahn   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2687 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Posted 06 October 2018 - 01:01 AM

If you're willing to trade I have an extra Rise of the Tomb Raider Hardcover, may have others and will update if I find more

yeah, that sounds good, pm me, let me know

Also looking for the FF 12 zodiac age HC, thats hard to find for my area

also, my 2nd haul

photo 1.JPG

photo 2.JPG

puzzles and starwars bottle stoppers are pennied, rest dropped out of the system, so they are older but the best are the Destiny 2 Forsaken card decks that came with preorder, great if they'll give them to you for free.

edit: apparently there are some nice magnets floating around as well. I need them for my fridge, no home is complete without magnets on the fridge, very upset about that.

#4042 Romeo   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3934 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 06 October 2018 - 01:26 AM

yeah, that sounds good, pm me, let me know

Also looking for the FF 12 zodiac age HC, thats hard to find for my area

That sucker seems to be the holy grail this time around. I'm driving to a store just over an hour away this weekend to grab a copy on hold for me. Dissidia was a bitch for me to find too.

#4043 nixmahn   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2687 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Posted 06 October 2018 - 04:36 PM

That sucker seems to be the holy grail this time around. I'm driving to a store just over an hour away this weekend to grab a copy on hold for me. Dissidia was a bitch for me to find too.

found 1 zodiac age today and extra CoD WWII for your still looking for it

#4044 MrSmiley1   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   175 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

Posted 07 October 2018 - 10:23 AM

I keep up with the thread, but I've had no luck ever when it comes to grabbing any penny guides. Not sure if it's just me running into a bunch of JDs, crappy luck, no inventory or some combo of all of the above.

Right there with you. I haven't been able to get anything since around the time BB stopped doing it. Oddly, that is when my GS luck dried up too

#4045 mike568   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   310 Posts   Joined 6.0 Years Ago  

Posted 08 October 2018 - 04:47 PM

Crash Bandicoot Trilogy game guide is sold out on Bestbuy.com so maybe it is a penny in store.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk