Reduced Price Guide Thread XIV (FAQ in 2nd Post)

Dark Rider

CAGiversary!
Feedback
24 (100%)
The Reduced Price Guide FAQ/OP has been moved to the SECOND post. Read this first!
[customspoiler="Disclaimer"]
All credit goes to IAmTheCheapestGamer, floormat, and guinaevere. They ran this thread for years, and I can safely say we would not have penny guides here without them. Thanks for your work!
[/customspoiler]

Private message me if there is something incorrect or needs to be changed in the non-wiki pages.
Below is two years or so of guide drop info. If you want to see the full list, please refer to the third post of the Reduced Price Guide Thread XIV that can be found HERE.

Note that date may be of confirmation, and not of drop.

CE/SE/LE=HARDCOVER GUIDE
Red=Gamestop drop
Blue=Best Buy drop
Pink=Toys R Us drop

Recent Drops (Last Six Months)

Dropped 3.23.16 at GameStop

Game Stop 1 Cent

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate

Assassin's Creed: Syndicate CE

Just Cause 3

Halo 5 CE

Dropped on 3.26.14

Gamestop

Battlefield 4

Disney Infinity

Grand Theft Auto V

Remember Me

Super Mario 3D World

Dropped on 2.26.14

Gamestop 

Assassin's Creed IV: CE

Battlefield 4 CE
Grand Theft Auto
 CE

Legend of Zelda: A Link Between Worlds CE

Skylanders Swap Force CE

Wonderful 101

Dropped on 2.14.14

Toys'R Us

Rage
Tekken Tag Tournament 2

Mass Effect 3

Star Wars The Force Unleashed II

Dropped on 10.31.13

Gamestop 

Animal Crossing
Assassin's Creed 3
Borderlands 2 LE
Call of Duty: Black Ops 2
Cheat Code Overload: Winter 2013
Codes & Cheats Vol. 1 2013
Dead Island Riptide
Diablo III

Disgaea D2

Elder Scrolls: Skyrim Legendary
Epic Mickey 2
Final Fantasy XIII-2
Halo 4
Hitman Absolution
Injustice: Gods Among Us

Injustice: Gods Among Us LE
Last of Us

Last of Us LE
Lego City Undercover
Madden 25
Mario & Luigi: Dream Team
Ni No Kuni
Pokemon Black & White 2 Pokedex
Resident Evil 6 LE
Resident Evil Revelations

Wind Waker LE
Dropped on 9.25.13

Gamestop
Army of Two The Devils Cartel
Dead Space 3
Metal Gear Rising Revengence
Star Trek
Super Mario Bros. Wii U
Epic Mickey 2 Limited Ed
Halo 4 Limited Ed
Hitman Absolution Limited Ed

Dropped on 9.04.13

Gamestop

Call of Duty Black Ops II CE
DMC: Devil May Cry
Dishonored
Tomb Raider

Tomb Raider CE       

Last edited by a moderator:
Okay, added R&C and 007 to the SKUs. Also, I changed the title to "Reduced Price "Penny" Guide Thread XIV (FAQ in 2nd Post)" I think this will be a little more clear on what this thread is.

Quite a while back the title was changed from "penny guide" to "reduced guide" precisely so it wouldn't be blatantly advertised to lurkers. It would probably be a good idea to just leave it as "reduced guide".

[quote name='neocisco']Quite a while back the title was changed from "penny guide" to "reduced guide" precisely so it wouldn't be blatantly advertised to lurkers. It would probably be a good idea to just leave it as "reduced guide".[/QUOTE]

I agree.

[quote name='strait edge follower']Is there a time table for when guides get pennied or is it just random ? I would like for the rage guides to get dropped[/QUOTE]

No schedule, it's random.

[quote name='iamthecheapestgamer']you forgot to add a link to the last guide thread(aka "unlucky number 13") in the faq post...[/quote]

fixed!

Hey guys, i had a great day of raiding gamestops today. I managed to get:

2x golden eye reloaded
2x red faction armageddon
1x battlefield 3 collectors edition

For 5 cents ! Now to either trade them for guides i want, sell them or just flip em. Anybody thats interested in these guides just let me know and we could work something out. Well im off to find more :)

[quote name='strait edge follower']Hey guys, i had a great day of raiding gamestops today. I managed to get:

2x golden she reloaded
2x red faction armageddon
1x battlefield 3 collectors edition

For 5 cents ! Now to either trade them for guides i want, sell them or just flip em. Anybody thats interested in these guides just let me know and we could work something out. Well im off to find more :)[/QUOTE]

I've been hunting for a new/sealed Battlefield 3 LE guide. I have guides to trade as well.

Man, I really missed out on this stuff. Didn't even notice these threads. Anyway, I'm looking for the Pokemon Black and White Strategy Guide and Pokedex. They're probably long gone in Gamestop, but Best Buy hasn't reduced it yet. If it drops in Best Buy or somewhere else, let me know, either via posting it or PMing me.

Wow did i have a haul over the last 24 hours lol i now have:

2x battlefield 3 ce (one is sealed)
3x red faction armageddon
5x golden eye reloaded
1x golden sun: dark dawn
1x the legend of zelda: spirit tracks (sealed)
3x ratchet and clank: all 4 one
1x brink
2x dead rising 2 regular edition (both sealed)

I got 390$ msrp worth of guides for just 18 cents lmao. I love cag :)

this thread only makes me sad b/c I won't ever get another penny guide except for trades. And if I do manage to find one, I'm buying a lottery ticket the same day! -tagged anyways b/c I'm not a quitter!!

[quote name='strait edge follower']Wow did i have a haul over the last 24 hours lol i now have:

2x battlefield 3 ce (one is sealed)
3x red faction armageddon
5x golden eye reloaded
1x golden sun: dark dawn
1x the legend of zelda: spirit tracks (sealed)
3x ratchet and clank: all 4 one
1x brink
2x dead rising 2 regular edition (both sealed)

I got 390$ msrp worth of guides for just 18 cents lmao. I love cag :)[/QUOTE]

Good lord man. I would be excited if I found 1/18th of that load. You must live in a really untapped area.

[quote name='Dark Rider']Good lord man. I would be excited if I found 1/18th of that load. You must live in a really untapped area.[/QUOTE]

I would have gotten even more today if i didnt have to work later. I do seem to be the only cheapie in my area in manhattan (which is hard to beleave lol). Im going again tommorow. Hopefully a fellow cheapie has a rage guide that they dont want anymore so i can trade for it :)

I rarely find penny guides anymore. Last time I found one at GS I was denied. Best Buy let me have one but they were told to pull the rest immediatly. I might have to make a trip to see if I can find Red Faction, Battlefield 3 or AC: Brotherhood.

SEF seems to have incredible luck in the city - there is no way he is getting more than one guide in each of the city stores. My nephew works at GS in Manhattan and they being corporate are almost fascist in way guides and pennied games are handled . Its not sour grapes as I am able to get the guides I am interested in . Curious to see proof as he had a few magical deals in the city thats notoriously hard to hit the jackpot in.

[quote name='spacegundam0079']SEF seems to have incredible luck in the city - there is no way he is getting more than one guide in each of the city stores. My nephew works at GS in Manhattan and they being corporate are almost fascist in way guides and pennied games are handled . Its not sour grapes as I am able to get the guides I am interested in . Curious to see proof as he had a few magical deals in the city thats notoriously hard to hit the jackpot in.[/QUOTE]

Believe it or not, there are some GS stores in Manhattan that are either lazy or occasionally miss pulling a few guides. It is hard but I have also scored in Manhattan a couple of times, though not recently, and never as much as I did at Best Buy.

[quote name='SKEETER']Believe it or not, there are some GS stores in Manhattan that are either lazy or occasionally miss pulling a few guides. It is hard but I have also scored in Manhattan a couple of times, though not recently, and never as much as I did at Best Buy.[/QUOTE]

One time, my then-GF who worked at a Brooklyn GS invited me to come and raid their guides because they had a bunch of old ones that were sitting in the back.

I walked out with stacks, some RPG guides that were quite a few years old.

Its odd how there are sometimes just vastly untapped stores in the middle of such densely populated urban areas.

[quote name='Slim Gatsby']One time, my then-GF who worked at a Brooklyn GS invited me to come and raid their guides because they had a bunch of old ones that were sitting in the back.

I walked out with stacks, some RPG guides that were quite a few years old.

Its odd how there are sometimes just vastly untapped stores in the middle of such densely populated urban areas.[/QUOTE]
I can still remember about 5 years ago hitting up a GS store just over the NY state border into CT inside a big mall. They had tons of guides that likely no one would ever see or ask about stored up under one of those metal dump bins that they put the $10 and under games in.

Not to mention they apparently had a space up above the store in a crawlspace and some sort of storage room somewhere else in the mall stocked with them. This was on top of a rack that was all around the register area with guides crammed in so tight you were damaging them by trying to get them out.

They printed me up a list of guides they had and had stuff going back to the PS1(Brave Fencer Musashi) at that time. All totalled they had about 400+ pennied guides according to that inventory they printed and gave to me.:shock:

I got X-Men Destiny and Goldeneye Reloaded. They had two more X-Men, but I thought I'd be pushing it considering he was pushing me into pre-ordering or buying something with the guide.

I'm curious to ask this...

Years ago I use to buy a lot of guides. I collected them with games and have kept them throughout the years. Nowadays I buy them only sporadically.

Is there any way to check the perceived value on guides? I heard of people trading them into amazon as well.

I'd never get rid of anything in my personal collection I'm just wondering on what if any it's worth.

[quote name='Romeo']I'm curious to ask this...

Years ago I use to buy a lot of guides. I collected them with games and have kept them throughout the years. Nowadays I buy them only sporadically.

Is there any way to check the perceived value on guides? I heard of people trading them into amazon as well.

I'd never get rid of anything in my personal collection I'm just wondering on what if any it's worth.[/QUOTE]

Yea im flipping some to amazon. The ones that amazon doesnt take anymore im selling/trading on craigslist and cag. If i cant find a buyer or trade partner for a particualr guide Ill just recycle it. I payed a penny for it so i dont loose anything anyway. Go to the amazon trade in store and narrow the search results down to books if you want to check tivs on guides

[quote name='strait edge follower']Yea im flipping some to amazon. The ones that amazon doesnt take anymore im selling/trading on craigslist and cag. If i cant find a buyer or trade partner for a particualr guide Ill just recycle it. I payed a penny for it so i dont loose anything anyway. Go to the amazon trade in store and narrow the search results down to books if you want to check tivs on guides[/QUOTE]

How can you find the value on AMZ? I've found the book trade in page but I'm 0/10 so far on finding anything.

[quote name='Romeo']How can you find the value on AMZ? I've found the book trade in page but I'm 0/10 so far on finding anything.[/QUOTE]

The ones you checked arent being taken by amazon anymore thats why. Im flipping 2 of my ratchet and all 5 of my golden eye guides quickly as their value on amazon can drop fast

[quote name='strait edge follower']The ones you checked arent being taken by amazon anymore thats why. Im flipping 2 of my ratchet and all 5 of my golden eye guides quickly as their value on amazon can drop fast[/QUOTE]

They're worth $2 each according to AMZ. You're seriously trading those in...?

[quote name='strait edge follower']Yea im flipping some to amazon. The ones that amazon doesnt take anymore im selling/trading on craigslist and cag. If i cant find a buyer or trade partner for a particualr guide Ill just recycle it. I payed a penny for it so i dont loose anything anyway. Go to the amazon trade in store and narrow the search results down to books if you want to check tivs on guides[/QUOTE]

Do you have a CML (trade list) on CAG?

[quote name='Romeo']They're worth $2 each according to AMZ. You're seriously trading those in...?[/QUOTE]

If i cant find a buyer why not ? The guides would be a throw in along with other stuff im trading in at once anyway

[quote name='strait edge follower']If i cant find a buyer why not ? The guides would be a throw in along with other stuff im trading in at once anyway[/QUOTE]

How does trading things in work there... don't you have to pay for postage?

[quote name='Romeo']How does trading things in work there... don't you have to pay for postage?[/QUOTE]

You just print out the prepaid postage label after you process your trade in on amazon. Free shipping rules !

Amazon trade in values for guides can be extremely low. There are a few exceptions. If you wish to know the value of your guides, compare the SELLING price on Amazon and completed transaction prices on ebay.

My god I got another motherload today !

3x assassins creed brotherhood regular edition (sealed)
1x medal of honor collectors edition (sealed)
1x golden sun: dark dawn (sealed)
1x warhammer space marine
1x the sims 3 regular edition
1x hunted: the demons forge
1x dungeon siege 3
1x spiderman: edge of time
5x battlefield 3 collectors edition (ALL SEALED !!!!!!!!!!)

where the fuck are the manhattan cheapies at ? this is too easy lol. I should have done this months ago. those battlefields in the back room shocked me to say the least !

[quote name='strait edge follower']I'll post pics by tommorow friend. Prepair to be shocked lmao[/QUOTE]

You've posted 10 times since yesterday. Give it a rest.
You are not to brag about hauls and post pics in this thread.
There is another thread for that.

[quote name='Romeo']I'm curious to ask this...

I'd never get rid of anything in my personal collection I'm just wondering on what if any it's worth.[/QUOTE]

There really isn't any exact place. The only thing would be to check the Amazon listings and completed auctions on eBay.

I might go check around today for the most recent drop, as I haven't gone out yet. The annoying thing here is that if I go too north I end up in another district, where apparently the DM is an absolute lockdown. I have found many guides in those stores, but I am always denied. They always explain that they will get fired if they don't cut the guides in to three pieces and mail them back to the publisher. Haven't bothered to check any dumpsters.

No pics from SEF yet ? hmmm . Was able to grab another R & C All4One if anyone is interested . A quick question , I was at BB to grab the new muppets blu and checked there guide section . It was overflowing with guides . All of the Guides ( Except 3 , ME3 , Halo Anniwhatever and SF vs. Tekken ) had a line on the barcode and the barcode had a huge X scribbled on it , what does that mean if anything ?

thats means you shouldve grabbed them all they are pennied out not to be sold. you prolly just missed a GOLD MINE !!! no im just messing maybe lox or someone can fill us in. if i am right then dang i was only kidding but that could mean maybe best buy isnt over yet =)

[quote name='spacegundam0079']No pics from SEF yet ? hmmm . Was able to grab another R & C All4One if anyone is interested . A quick question , I was at BB to grab the new muppets blu and checked there guide section . It was overflowing with guides . All of the Guides ( Except 3 , ME3 , Halo Anniwhatever and SF vs. Tekken ) had a line on the barcode and the barcode had a huge X scribbled on it , what does that mean if anything ?[/QUOTE]

Woh, please list all fo the guides with an x or barcode crossed out. Usually that means the merchant is getting rid of them. Don't know if they are offically pennied out in the system but when that happens in book stores, it mean they are end of life items.

[quote name='spacegundam0079']No pics from SEF yet ? hmmm . Was able to grab another R & C All4One if anyone is interested . A quick question , I was at BB to grab the new muppets blu and checked there guide section . It was overflowing with guides . All of the Guides ( Except 3 , ME3 , Halo Anniwhatever and SF vs. Tekken ) had a line on the barcode and the barcode had a huge X scribbled on it , what does that mean if anything ?[/QUOTE]

the mods wouldn't let me do it lol. I emailed some pics to tesi yesturday since he didn't beleave me either. He was shocked :). As for new drops we should watch out for the Rage guide as its 9.99 now. It's only a matter of time before it gets pennied out and I really want a copy. You should have took all of those guides that you found or at least checked their price

all i know is my bestbuys are BARREN!! so chances are maybe i am right if the barcodes are slashed out. last time i saw that was when i got some guides from a fellow cager on here that were pennied.

[quote name='nixmahn']Woh, please list all fo the guides with an x or barcode crossed out. Usually that means the merchant is getting rid of them. Don't know if they are offically pennied out in the system but when that happens in book stores, it mean they are end of life items.[/QUOTE]

That's because there are 2 barcodes, and this tells the cashier which one to scan (since the other wont work). Means nothing about them being pennied.

[quote name='drawingboard']That's because there are 2 barcodes, and this tells the cashier which one to scan (since the other wont work). Means nothing about them being pennied.[/QUOTE]my thoughts exactly

The BestBuy literally had 100 + guides marked . I cant imagine they would be pennied out that would leave them with 8 - 9 guides . Although if it turns out that they are I will grab them shitz and try to spread the wealth . I think BB is trying to mind f ' me .

[quote name='spacegundam0079']The BestBuy literally had 100 + guides marked . I cant imagine they would be pennied out that would leave them with 8 - 9 guides . Although if it turns out that they are I will grab them shitz and try to spread the wealth . I think BB is trying to mind f ' me .[/QUOTE]

You gotta get those suckers scanned and post any drops if you find any. Hopefully there are new ones as there hasn't been any bestbuy guide drop updates for a while

As posted above, BBY routinely marks through, crosses out or places a sticker over the ISBN barcode so the cashier can only scan the UPC barcode. The ISBN barcode does not work. Seeing the ISBN covered/marked is no reason to get excited.

I finally saw a copy of the Final Fantasy XII guide with the slipcover at Gamestop. I'm surprised that they really haven't gotten rid of it yet, and it was already worse for the wear.

I went to gs today and I found out that the halo anniversary guide dropped to 9.99. Rage and the dragon age 2 standered edition guide are also at 9.99. I'm getting all 3 scanned once a week untill they get pennied as its only a matter of time for those 3. Anyone found new drops yet ?

bread's done
Back