The Steam Deal Thread V6. We're all pumped for CAG 3.0!

Status
Not open for further replies.

eastx

CAGiversary!
Feedback
92 (100%)
Welcome to the Steam Deal Thread V6! You can find link to past threads at the bottom of this post. Read post #2 of this thread for Steam FAQs and more.

With the V6 Thread, we're trying a slight formatting change. We used to list every possible Steam deal in the OP, but they change too frequently for anyone to keep up with (even in the Wiki format). So now, we'll leave regular minor sales out of the OP. This post will keep track of major sales (Winter sale, etc.), Steam deals available through other sellers (like Amazon), Preorder deals, and Group Buys.

I would still greatly appreciate help from you folks at home in keeping this smaller-scale OP up-to-date. This is a Wiki post so anyone can contribute. Wiki instructions:
Thanks for your help! If you notice a sale has ended, feel free to delete its line from the sale list. Of course, if you see something does need to be added, then kindly add it to the list.

Make sure your changes match the thread's format! For example, every game that's on sale is part of an unordered list. When adding a game to the list, copy an existing line and update the link, title, and prices. That way, the format stays correct. Do not list percentages off! We list the original price and the sale price here. If you have any suggestions for major changes to the post/thread, PM me (EastX) about them.

Steam Sales - Updated 1/22

CAG Threads Featuring Steam Games on Sale Elsewhere - Updated 1/9

Preorder Deals - Updated 1/10
Group Buy Deals - Updated 1/9/13

Free Stuff - List needs updating with F2P games!
There are several free games and mods on Steam. These are a few choice ones; you can find a full list here. Note that free games are not permanently attached to your Steam account like actual purchases would be. You'll need to manually download a game again from the website if you uninstall it.

Steam around CAG

If you are interested in joining the Steam CAG Community or participating in a trade or group buy with fellow Cheap Ass Gamers, please do so in the dedicated threads and not in the deal discussion thread. In the dedicated threads you will find CAGers with the same specialized interest who will be much quicker (and happier) to respond than in the Deals thread.

Past Special Sales

Visit www.steamgamesales.com to check previous sale prices on Steam games. We do keep track of some older sales here though:

Steam Retail Key List

What is a CD key and where can I find it?

Steam's explanation and list of Steam-activatable keys

The CD Key is a serial number with a combination of 13, 18, or 25 letters and numbers - it can be found on a sticker inside your game's case or printed on the game's quick reference card. The CD Key acts as your proof of purchase for the game - Steam Support may ask for it if you need to establish your ownership of an account. It is recommended that you keep your CD Key in a safe place to ensure the security of your account.

Other Keys that can be redeemed on Steam (CAG tested & verified)
11.gif

• The Ball (bought @D2D, tested by voken)
  • Supreme Commander Forged Alliance (gives both FA and original, bought @amazon, tested by vism)

Indie Bundles thread on Steam forums (link)

Past CAG Steam Deal Threads

Last edited by a moderator:
This information is taken from the CAG Steam discussion thread. Please visit it to talk about Steam in general and Steam games!

Steam features

• Play from anywhere: Games you buy on Steam are permanently tied to your account. Download them again on other computers! *See DRM bullet point for exceptions
  • DRM: Most Steam games only use Steam's DRM. If a game uses another form (such as Batman: Arkham Asylum), the store page will say 3rd-Party DRM.
  • Play offline: Most Steam games can be played offline. When an internet connection isn't available, choose to start Steam in Offline Mode.
  • Steam Achievements! Many games have exclusive Achievements that you and your friends can keep track of. Get a Steam card graphic for forum signatures here.
  • Steam Cloud! Many games like Torchlight offer Cloud support. Your save file is hosted online and accessible from wherever you play the game, so no need to manually transfer it to other computers. Look for the Steam Cloud
    ico_cloud.gif
    image on a game's store page.
  • Automatic patching: Steam automatically downloads updates for your games whenever they are released. If you'd rather patch manually, click on that game's Properties/Update from the Library menu.
  • Friends list: The Steam friends list is also an instant messenger. Text message friends, voice chat, and easily invite friends to most games. You can also see which friends own the same games as you and compare Achievements from the Library menu.
  • Gifting games! You can buy games and then gift them to other people. Wishlists make this easy; maintain your own and view your friends' lists, too.
  • Incredible sales! There is a sale virtually every weekend, Black Friday, during the holidays, and more.
  • Steam Play: Purchase a game once and play it from both Windows and Mac! Look for the Steamplay icon
    platform_steamplay.png
    on games' store pages.

CAG Steam Groups

By joining a CheapAssGamer Steam group, you'll be able to find CAGs to play with, participate in group events, and more. This is a list of all known CAG groups. If you start a new group, please PM me with details. Note that while most of these groups are public, the private groups require an invite to join.

FAQ

I bought a retail copy of a game.
OR
I bought a game from another downloadable games provider besides Steam.

Can I download it from Steam without rebuying it?

You can do this for some games (especially those whose retail versions automatically use Steam). Most games don't support the feature though. See the full list here.

How do I add non-Steam games to my Steam library? Why would someone want to do that?

From the Library menu, choose Add a Game and then Add a Non-Steam Game. Select the game's executable file and you'll now be able to launch it directly from Steam. This is a good idea for two reasons. One, launching all of your games from the same place is convenient. Two, when you launch a Non-Steam Game from your Steam library, people on your friends list will be able to see what you're playing.

Why is X game more expensive on Steam than other retailers? Is buying from Steam not a good deal?

Steam generally offers games at their current MSRP. That means if Capcom wants to charge $30 for Street Fighter IV, that will be the regular Steam price. Yes, you might find the retail version on clearance at Target for less. But that's clearance, which you can't expect every other retailer to match. However, Steam has tons of sales which usually beat everyone else's prices.

When are the big Steam sales?

During the big Steam sales, Steam sells multiple games (sometimes hundreds) at large discounts. There is always a sale on Black Friday (the day after Thanksgiving) and an extended holiday sale (starting December 24 and lasting until the beginning of January). In 2010 and 2011 there have been extended summer sales too. If you're not in a hurry to play a game and want the best possible price, it's a good idea to wait for these large sales.

Do all Steam games work with controllers?

Just about all PC games can be controlled with mouse and keyboard. But some people are more comfortable with controllers, AKA gamepads, and some games just play better that way. The Xbox 360 controller is the default gamepad for modern PC games. Many games support it, but not all. Most games with controller support have a Controller Enabled graphic
ico_controller.gif
on their store pages. If a game doesn't have that graphic and doesn't mention controller support in its text description, assume it doesn't work with controllers. There is a partial list here. If you'd like to use a controller with a game that doesn't natively support it, the XPadder app works very well.

[quote name='Larce80']woohoo, only a couple more days till the big one ;)[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the support. Would you mind deleting and recreating your comment, though? We need the top three comments uninterrupted.

Played some demos tonight, Binary Domain and Sleeping Dogs. Binary Domain I had some major issues with disabling the voice commands and being unable to use anything from the Tab menu. I think it's because I have USB mics plugged in and it would be a huge hassle to have to disable them each time I want to play in order to experience the game fully. Can anyone corroborate that having USB mics plugged in and disabling the voice commands in game doesn't let you use whichever hotkeys are assigned or is it a demo quirk that wasn't updated with the patches.

Sleeping Dogs looked and played great but even after setting my mouse sensitivity to max I had to move the mouse all the way across the mousepad just to turn a little bit. Once again, normal for mouse control or a demo quirk?

[quote name='Jaysonguy']Is it safe to post and comment on the awesome yet?[/QUOTE]

Yes, and thanks always for the kind words and support, Jayson and everybody else. :D

Question: should the Group Buy list be hidden behind spoilers?

[quote name='eastx']Yes, and thanks always for the kind words and support, Jayson and everybody else. :D

Question: should the Group Buy list be hidden behind spoilers?[/QUOTE]

Yes. The only thread anyone uses anymore is the main Group Buy & Gift Request thread, and it's mostly become a dumping ground for extra indie bundle keys.
[quote name='Severose']Great looking cheeseburger for the new thread.[/QUOTE]
Five Guys?

[quote name='vantheman']Are these winter sales ever very good? I'm a steam noob.[/QUOTE]

Nah, they're very disappointing. Basically, if you can imagine a bunch of Easter eggs in a bag, Steam being the person who takes the eggs out of the bag every hour and presents what's inside each egg on a silver platter, which happens to be a nicely curled, very smelly... ribbon with a trollface on it.

[quote name='vantheman']Are these winter sales ever very good? I'm a steam noob.[/QUOTE]

Yes and no.

Most of the store goes on sale so if you are relatively new to Steam then there are a lot of deals to be had.

However if you are old and crusty and have been around the virtual block hundreds of times and have nearly every game you could possibly want, and a bunch more that you never wanted in the first place, then you just sit around and complain about how terrible the sale is, that there are just no good deals on sale and that it just isn't like the good old days, where old in this case means a year or so ago.

[quote name='Idiotekque']When does the winter sale start?[/QUOTE]

Why, that is answered in the new-and-improved OP and the thread title you demanded to be updated. It starts this Thursday.

[quote name='eastx']Why, that is answered in the new-and-improved OP and the thread title you demanded to be updated. It starts this Thursday.[/QUOTE]

That was sarcasm highlighting the fact that the question gets asked over and over again in spite of the answer clearly having been posted already.

[quote name='Motoki']
That was sarcasm highlighting the fact that the question gets asked over and over again in spite of the answer clearly having been posted already.
[/QUOTE]

Oh yeah, I should've picked up on that. Every big thread has its own silly default question for newbs to ask, after all.

I like the new concept and I agree most of those group buy threads are obsolete.

I think as long as the title gets highlighted for the big sales or good sales in midweek and weekend, it should all be good.

I dunno. This thread feels like a new pair of jeans that really needs to be broken in before they're comfortable. The old thread had just started fraying at the knees, giving that nice bit of air conditioning in your mid-leg, and the crotch had stretched enough that you could crouch without it pinching.

Hello, new thread.

I was going to play Megaman X Street Fighter tonight, but I just played through Megaman 2 in one sitting a few weeks ago and don't feel up for that again tonight. It can wait for the weekend (or for someone to patch in a crude save state feature).

[quote name='Idiotekque']This thread still has 0 views. C'mon guys, wtf![/QUOTE]

I don't want any spoilers before the sale starts.

[quote name='BigSpoonyBard']I dunno. This thread feels like a new pair of jeans that really needs to be broken in before they're comfortable. The old thread had just started fraying at the knees, giving that nice bit of air conditioning in your mid-leg, and the crotch had stretched enough that you could crouch without it pinching.[/QUOTE]

In conclusion, the bard likes to expose himself in public, but likes to use his "worn out" jeans as the excuse.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back