What's your favorite game of 2012. Giving away a 400 MSP Code end of January

Status
Not open for further replies.

aaronrodgers

CAGiversary!
Feedback
6 (100%)
Giving away a 400 US microsoft point code!

Congrats to the first winner. canvasch, for his Post about Forza Horizon!

In this thread, tell me your favorite video game you played in 2012, and why it was your favorite. Anything less than a sentence will not be picked. Also, no spoilers in your description please.

It's the least I can do for the community of the website that has given back so much to me as well.

Good luck and Happy New Year everyone! :)

Edit - Looks like I have an extra 400 point code as well! Due to all the lovely replies, I am happy to give away this extra one. I will give away the first code January 16th, and the second code on or slightly before February the 1st. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
I guess Ill kick things off.
Has to be the Walking Dead.
Always liked these type of games and this had a tremendous story.
Thanks for the offer

My favorite game I played in 2012 has been my favorite game since 2010. Rock Band 3. I love music and video games so a game that lets me play the keyboard along with my favorite songs gets tons of play from me.

If you mean a game that came out in 2012 I guess I'll go with Rock Band Blitz. I haven't played much this year but Blitz was great. A new way to play all my RB DLC and 25 new songs for $15? A great value! And great fun.

If you can't tell, I'm addicted to RB :p

Mass Effect 3

I really, really HATE the ending with a passion, but the rest of the game is so good that it still remains my favorite of the year. I also found the multiplayer to be one of the better horde modes out there.

My favorite game of 2012 is Trials: Evolution. I love how RedLynx improved so many aspects of the game by making the tracks outside of a warehouse and including Track Central to give it an unlimited amount of content. Even with the Track Central, I still have the urge to buy their quality DLC :p

I'd go so far to say Resident Evil 6 was my favorite game of 2012. I know it was pretty universally panned, but I found it to be quite a fun co op experience. And the mercenaries mode has allowed us to continue getting fun out of the game. That said, I'm applying any msp I get in the future to buying the recently released dlc modes.

My favorite game of 2012 is The Walking Dead, an awesome new take on one of my favorite genre, the Point and Click Adventure game... this game is very well done and will put a tear in any gamer's eye by the end of chapter 5.... To me, that's saying alot! The story is full and you feel completely responsible for all the actions from the previous 4 chapters... I hope they make more (or at east more point and click adventures games)...
Thanks for the contest :)

EDIT:

Since I last posted here I have discovered a new favorite game of 2012, and i've been playing it every chance I can... That game, is Forza Horizon!

Forza Horizon is the best game of 2012, it has a enormous variety of cars, perfect for any racer, it even has several of my dream cars, the 1998 Subaru 22b in particular. It has old cars and new, not just high end racing cars, standard "normal" cars are in there as well and there are races designed for them and are fun. Muiltiplayer is great, the servers run smooth, the games load fast and there is NO LAG AT ALL! The is a bunch of muiltiplayer modes to play, everything from an "infected" type gametype to drag racing.. The coolest thing about the game is that it is a huge open world, you can drive up to other racers and challenge them to a race if you'd like and race in the open world against the cpu towards another race! I haven't been very into racing games since ridge racer 64, that was over 10 years ago... I've tried the older forza games and gran turismo ones and really none of them had me playing more than 5- 10 races before i got bored... but Forza horizon won't be boring me any time soon, i've played it every chance i can for the past 4 days and I still consider myself a beginner, and just starting out in my career... hehe..

The best racing game and overall best game of 2012 is FORZA HORIZON

Borderlands 2 is my choice. The story and charactes were top notch. All the easter eggs and funny dialogue from Claptrap and Handsome Jack made the game my goty. Even with a backlog, I continued to play borderlands 2 for quite some time.

I got into Dragon Age Origins this year. Have to say, in my honest opinion, it's among the all-time best console RPGs. I was 3 years late, but that didn't take away anything from the experience of going through a full playthrough. I'm not even talking about the tons of DLC they have to add-on to the story. I still need to get through all of them.

The game has so many quests, the main storyline is well thought out, there are very memorable scenes and characters, and again... tons of DLC to add to the adventure. I HIGHLY recommend Dragon Age Origins to any RPG fan that has yet to give it a shot. I am 3 years late and still having a blast going through it.

I know it's an older game but OP said PLAYED in 2012 so that's gotta be mine. Appreciate the opportunity OP!

My vote is Halo 4. When I first saw it, I thought it was a cheap cash-in but 343 proved me wrong. Not only is it a great sequel that balances trying new things with keeping what works, it pulled me back in like the first game did.

Nice contest OP! Looking forward to seeing others' opinions too!

Favorite game I played in 2012 is the Elder Scrolls V Skyrim.To date I have put 500 hours into the game.Mainly because I keep making new characters each time I run out of things to do in the world.My next character is gonna be a Red Guard alchemist/healer/blocker.

That came out this year..It's a tie between Journey and FF13-2,loved both games (yeah I loved ff13-2 :p)

But I also started playing dark souls this year and 1000/1000 it and it is my 2nd fav game this gen,just behind red dead redemption.

i would choose mass effect 3.
I'm in love with the in depth story from the trilogy and how they were all connected and eventually the choices that you made on previous games finally had a closure. All the major problems were resolved in a happy ending or could end up terribly if you have a renegade file. Some of the scenes were so touching and sad that it made my eyes watery for the first time in video games...
The character development throughout the whole trilogy was amazing and in my opinion, the best in this generation. All of the characters that I can remember made some kind of a impact towards the final mission in the galactic war assets, which made me happy of all my choices that I've made with my paragon and renegade files.
The game play itself was very similar to mass effect 2, but it was more fun with new power skills. The multiplayer got me clocked in for over 70+ hours, which is now boring, but it is fun to play it once a while with my friends.
The ending made a lot of fans disappointed including myself, but the added scenes made things a little bit better. Overall, I thought it was a good closure to the best trilogy in the world. I will always love the mass effect universe and I'm sad that the story of Commander Shepard is over.

Gonna have to go with Halo 4. Like others I was afraid of what 343 might do with the series, but they kept it on a familiar path without rehashing too much. I have very few complaints about it and I actually think it fits into the Halo canon very nicely. Can't wait for the rest of this "new" trilogy to come out.

Thanks for the contest as well OP.

My vote goes to Borderlands 2 for taking all the humor, loot, and visual style from the first and turning it up to 11. Excellent sequel.

I must say that the best single player game that I played in 2012 has to go to Skyrim. The amount of the things the game allowed me to do AS WELL AS the Main Storyline kept me enthralled and up many a night playing with my Catmando.

Best Family game we played was Kinect Party. Was going to say Skylanders Spyro Adventure but the time, laughs, and the variety that Kinect Party gave to my sons was amazing. Spyro kept the kids wanting to come back but they would quit after a few levels whereas once they start with Kinect Party, they just kept playing til we stopped them.

Alas, I have not had any game this year that made me want to Achieve Complete it but there were lots that made us play going back and forth. Good year for games on the Xbox 360.

Cheers.

Oh...the worst/most disappointing would have to go to Modern Warfare 3. The storyline after 2 left me with high expectations and the multiplayer got me back into FPS. Sadly, MW3 left me wondering what happened?

Looks like I have an extra 400 point code as well! Due to all the lovely replies, I am happy to give away this extra one. I will give away the first code January 16th, and the second code on or slightly before February the 1st. :)

Mine would be Trials Evolution. Loved the 4-player splitscreen Multiplayer with random custom tracks, it's good for a laugh with mates! The varying themes of each track was also worthy of a mention with its open environments and skill games, such as the 'sposion man styled one.

My favorite game is tough to say, as many decent games were released. If I had to narrow it down to one specific game, it would probably be Far Cry 3. The game has a GoTY quality story line, and also has the best map creator I've ever seen.

I'd say my favorite game I've played in 2012 was Rayman Origins. I had a fantastic time playing through it with a friend, it was very difficult at times, but never so much so that we felt discouraged and didn't want to keep trying. I really wish the new Rayman game wasn't a Wii U exclusive.

My favorite game for 2012 would have to be Far Cry 3. It's the game that just keeps on giving, every time you think you are coming to the end you find out that you still have quite a ways to go. The story has really pulled me in, the story driven and side mission gameplay is excellent. Often side missions get boring but in Far Cry 3 I have found them to get much more challenging, making them unique and very entertaining. I often only want to play for half an hour then 2 hours later I look at the clock and cant believe how much time has passed. Graphically it looks great, it controls great, I have to see how it all plays out but it may just be one of my favorite games for the current generation of systems.

I highly recommend this title.

My favorite game of 2012? Definitely Dragon's Dogma. Capcom's track record isn't completely bad with games this year, specifically because of this game. But the reason it's my favorite is that it's a free roaming action rpg that gives you plenty of different options without making you feel like you can do anything and everything the game has to offer on one character. It lacks Skyrim's... 'hey, look, i can do everything' style, and I like that.

The Walking Dead

Best because of it's story. Hand's down the best narrative of any game I played this year. And it made you really think about your decisions. It took me back to the old point and click adventure games of yesteryear, with a story that was top notch. I can't wait till the next installment.

My favorite game of 2012 would have to be SSX. SSX has always been one of my favorite series, and the new game did not disappoint. RiderNET was a great addition to the series and the sheer number of drops, plus the great amount of diversity between them, gave the game a huge amount of replay value. The characters, both old and new, were fantastic as well, and the Survive It events were a surprising, but well enjoyed, addition to the series. The developers have also done a great job of supporting the game post-launch for the fans.

Well the favorite game I played has to be Retro City Rampage. I felt like a little boy playing a nintendo game. So many great references form my childhood, and the good ol' crap story line but fun tto play classic feel of those old games XD

Two codes?

Wowzers!! Wish I had the option of giving away points.

Maybe this year will start using Bing Rewards.

Thanks for the give aways. This is not an entrant....just a thanks for the two codes.

I just wrapped up all the scenarios in Virtue's Last Reward (PSV version), and that game was quite truly a thrilling ride. Roughly 80% visual novel and 20% logic puzzles, the mature sci-fi storyline and talented voice-acting provided many sleepless nights of entertainment. More games in this genre should be released domestically since they work well on handheld devices. Anyway, I choose that as my favorite and most memorable game of 2012.

My Favorite game of 2012 would have to be The Walking Dead by Telltale Games it blew me away! I bought it thinking eh i don't know if i'll like it or not. But after the First episode i was hooked i couldn't wait for the next episode's to come out! The game even made me a little emotional at the end which honestly not many games have made me like that. Glad they won GOTY and glad i purchased it! Thanks for the giveaway very nice of you and goodluck to all :)!

Picking just one game is a very tough thing to do. To be quite honest it's a tie for me between Borderlands 2 and The Walking Dead.
I haven't beaten Borderlands 2 thanks to the massive number of sidequests (and the fact that I don't own it) as well as wanting to get to as high of a level as I possibly can, but as a FPS/RPG hybrid it's the best of 2012.
The Walking Dead was just as good because: 1) it was exceptionally good for being 'just' a XBLA game; 2) It's got to be one of, if not, THE best point and click on the Xbox 360; and 3) the Story - all I can say about it without giving away anything is WOW there is some amazing stuff that happens.

Thanks for the giveaway aaron! :D

Halo 4: Even though it wasn't developed by Bungie, I was super excited for a continuation to the Halo series. I stood in line for the midnight launch and I soon became re-obsessed with the Halo multiplayer formula. I'm usually too busy with college to have time for video games, but I made time for video games again because 343 introduced some new features that hooked me to first-person shooter multiplayer (new customization and weapons)! I also finally finished the campaign on New Years Eve and I was impressed with the quality of the cutscenes and evolution of the storyline. I'm awaiting Halo 5 and 6 now!

I did receive The Walking Dead disc game as a Christmas present, and I'm deadly obsessed with that series, but I've yet to play it. Not sure if I would have picked it over Halo 4 if I played it before the new year, but it looks gooood.

My overall favorite game I played last year would probably be Street Fighter X Tekken. A lot of people hated on that game but it is SO MUCH FUN tag-teaming with a friend. Probably the most fun I had in 2012 on a video game.

Thank you for the giveaway!

My favourite game I played in 2012 was definitely Forza Horizon. First of all I love playing racing games and I loved Forza Motorsport 3/4 so this game was a must have for me. When I first tried it out the thing that struck me the most was the soundtrack. Rhythmical dance music with a heavy bass line made me really feel like I was at some kind of festival. Every time I hear those songs it gives me shivers and brings back great memories(even if it wasn't that long time ago). The next thing were graphics. Those are amazing I spent lots of time just admiring the views. Lastly the most important thing - cars. Great choice, even for someone who doesn't like ultrafast cars(like me). I loved just roaming in my Miata, going into the tunnel and just revving the engine there.
Thanks for doing this. Good luck to everyone!

I liked Mass Effect 3 the best. I'm a big fan of the series and thought this entry was solid. Like a lot of other people, I wasn't a fan of the ending, but the rest of the game was good.

Tied between Trials: Evolution and Halo 4

Trials: Evolution totally blew the old Trials outta the water. More map versatility, and the awesomeness of the random user created maps has put this RedLynx title on another level.

Halo 4, just continuing to add to an awesome series. Interesting new vehicles, along with the crisp graphics blew me out of the battlefield.

I'm still blown away by Gradius III for SNES. I always come back to that game when I bust out the Super Nintendo. I can just pick up and go with it whenever I like, and there's not really a story line to worry about. Even after all these years, I still don't breeze through it like I can with many modern games on Xbox 360. They just don't make games like they used to.

My favourite game was Dead or Alive 5, in my opinion one of the best fighing game this year together with Virtua Figther 5 FS.
The new design of DOA5 is really cool, so the new gameplay features, and VF characters was a real nice extra.

My favorite game of 2012 is actually the mod Black Mesa Source. After all this waiting it finally released and it was the best mod I've ever played. That or Half Life, but that game is pretty old, so I wouldn't count it.

Mass Effect 3. Like others have said, the ending sucked, but for me at least that didn't take away from the rest of the game which was absolutely fantastic.

X-COM: Enemy Unknown.

The original X:COM was the first strategy game I ever played - and I either got tired of the controls or base management or...who knows? I was a kid. I picked it up again on the Playstation, but same result: I never finished it.

Enter the most recent entry. I still remembered how much the original sparked my interest. And I've grown tired of shooters and twitch games, slow-paced RPGs and recycled adventure games, so it seemed high-time to finally finish what I never finished before.

Granted, the game is different. Base management has been streamlined and there's less variety in the maps. But its turn-based combat plays very much the same, it's added many more RPG elements, it's prettier, and it just plays better.

Only game I pre-bought all year - and finished it within a couple days, which hasn't happened in a long time.

Basically, X:COM got me super-excited about a lot of games again. It was much needed rung in the ladder and while I'm taking a break to play Dishonored, I'm looking to play X:COM again...and again.

My favourite game of 2012 was, is and will be always Dust: An Elysian Tail. It had a amazing story and awesome graphics.Being made by one person it is a awesome game.
It made me play 12hrs straight just to know what will happen next.It has a excellent gameplay and also good side quests to keep us occupied.

The creator must really be proud person now, cheers to him.

I expect more from him.Now nothing can change my mind about Dust.

Dust: An Elysian tail for the win!!!!

I'll jump on the bandwagon also. My favorite this year was the Walking Dead. Not only was the story on par with the comics. But by releasing it in parts, just made it that much more exciting.

My favorite would have to be Spelunky, with Dishonored in a close second. I could play Spelunky for days nonstop and never become bored. And Dishonoreds story and unique gameplay was just amazing.

The Walking Dead. I love the show, love the comic, and I love point-and-click adventures. My hype level for TWD was through the roof, and I felt like it exceeded all of my expectations. I honestly can't remember the last time a game made me care about a character as much as I did Clem. And no game has stuck with me the way this one did. Can't wait for Season 2!

Thanks for the contest, OP!

Sleeping Dogs was what I enjoyed the most top to bottom. It was great to see how well the melee combat and the environment of Hong Kong turned out after the game had nearly been abandoned in development.

I had greater hopes for Mass Effect 3; I enjoyed it but it was still a disappointment (even if I didn't hate it as much as some others).

I've played a few that were really good, but I'd have to say my top game was Far Cry 3. From the story to the side missions, you can't really go wrong. It's unfortunate that it isn't a complete game in that the multiplayer isn't right there with the campaign, but one can always hope they can patch it or add some dlc to make it somewhat enjoyable and possibly even continue the awesome single player with more missions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back