What's your favorite game of 2012. Giving away a 400 MSP Code end of January

Status
Not open for further replies.
X-COM Enemy Unknown.

I love strategy turn based games and have been waiting for a decent one to arrive on xbox for years.
The resource management was excellent and a great part of the game. I enjoyed doing all the research and acquiring new weapons and equipment as well as building my facility. I wish I would have figured a few things out about how to manage it better earlier but I still had a good time to with that part of the game.

The turn based combat and cover system were excellent and I really enjoyed the leveling system and management of my team. There were many times were I just had to restarted a match from a save because I lost a team member I grew attached too and didn't want to loose them for the entire campaign. Overall if you love strategy turn based games this one is one of the best I have played in years.

I also want to give a s nod to the Walking Dead. The second episode got me hooked and the story was excellent.

Skyrim! the game was incredible. the storyline was quite entertaining, but even just roaming around and exploring really made the game stand alone from all the others. not to mention the non-main quest missions, daedra missions and numerous groups to join that felt like they themselves were main quest quality.

Far Cry 3. I haven’t played a game in a while that immersed me in an environment where I wanted to not only focus on the story, but the world around me. From the wildlife to the characters, the island and story is brought to life as you embark on a journey not soon to be forgotten. I found myself within the first few hours of the game just wanting to explore. The graphics are gorgeous and I was shocked it is all packed on one disc (playing the Xbox 360). I love the crafting mechanic, too. At first I was a little weary about the idea of starting bare bones and having little ability to hold equipment and more weapons, but making me earn the privilege to hold more items came as a great reward. I have played the co-op as well with a fellow family member and enjoyed the fact that it has its own story separate from that of the main campaign. It can be tough at times and I wish the missions were a little more varied, but for the most part I love having the opportunity to have someone next to you helping plan out an ambush on the pirate camp. The multiplayer feels a bit buggy and lackluster, but still functions fairly proficiently. It follows in the footsteps of such shooters as Call of Duty and Halo mechanics wise, but none the less you can still have a lot fun playing with some of its successful elements. In the end it is the single player story and characters that make this game shine. May you be fighting along side Dennis playing voice of the people or against the crazy Vaas who is trying to teach you the definition of insanity, this game is one not to be missed.

Mortal Kombat

Easily the best one out of the series in my opinion next to MK3. Absoultely love the graphics, the fighters, stages, etc.

The story mode was fantastic. I really loved it compared to Tekken's story mode. Was a very fun way to get back in to the series, and added some more play time to the game itself.

Tower mode is pretty fun and amazing as well. Although it seems it could get repetitive, for me it doesnt. Love finding the new challenges.

Singple player Arcade style was great as always. Could not be happier with that.

And playing online as opposed to in an actual Arcade like back in the day is fun, see so many different styles and learn so much

Borderlands 2.

It does what any good sequel should. Take the first and put it on steroids. Handsome Jack has to be the first character in a while to have a personality as well. Best villain in a very long time.

Dust: an Elysian tale for the Xbox 360
iconxbox360.gif
I think the art style is the most eye pleasing graphical design in a video game, and it's mixed well with the comical and dark tones the story presence and hits the mark perfectly for the ending plot. The fighting mechanics as well seem to good to be made by one solo developer, it's simplistic yet bold at the same time. Letting you rack up a thousand hit combo just by spinning through the air like a tornado. Even though there isn't much progression wise for combat, seeing as you unlock nearly all fighting moves in the beginning. It does allow you do gain new abilities that let's you backtrack to unlock some of the better items later in the game. Overall, if the eye candy graphics don't hook you, the fighting system that makes anyone look like a badass no matter how terrible you are most definitely will.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sleeping Dogs - I was pleasantly surprised by how good this game was. It's like a mix of GTA and Arkham City with a hefty amount of blood and violence mixed in. Wei Shen's character development throughout the story was also outstanding and I'm very surprised this game isn't garnering a whole lot of consideration for GotY.

Max Payne 3 - It didn't hurt that Man on Fire was one of my favorite movies. A game along those lines was guaranteed to be good IMO.

I think Rockstar did an excellent job of modernizing a classic franchise. The graphics, story and music were all AAA quality. It was a lengthy title with lots of replay. A decent MP to complement the SP.

My favorite game of 2012 is Syndicate. It had a nice shooting engine and good graphics. The melee attacks were also great and it's rare that any first-person shooters have good melee attacks, since Call of Duty 4 way too many games just a use a standard knife attack with every gun. Syndicate uses one hit takedowns with a variety of animations that connect with the enemy. 2012 was such a terrible year for gaming that Syndicate had very little competition, it certainly would not have won if it had come out any other year.

The Walking Dead due to all the tough calls you are continually forced to make throughout that game. I felt emotionally drained after playing a marathon session.

My favorite game for 2012 is surprisingly one that is free-to-play. The game is Tribes: Ascend for the PC. I had never played a Tribes game before, but had heard great things about Ascend. I was very surprised to find such a well balanced team-based FPS for the non-existent price of admission. Tribes offers a variety of game types, the most popular being capture the flag, and nine separate classes each with their own unique capabilities. One aspect of Tribes that sets it apart from other shooters is the sheer size of the maps. The vast maps can be traversed quite quickly thanks to a unique ski & jetpack mechanic that allows players to eliminate the friction between their feet and the ground, fly down slopes and launch off hills.

For me, the most exhilarating experience of this year was playing as the Pathfinder class and running flags. The music changes to a much faster tempo once you pick up the flag and the chase is on. I became quite good at finding effective routes, but ultimately ended up putting the game down much sooner that I otherwise would have if my friends were also PC gamers.

Skyrim. I started playing in January, and nothing has quite succeeded in pulling my attention away, I keep coming back. I've played for hundreds of hours, and I still feel like I haven't seen half of what's there.

My favorite game that I've played in 2012 is one I'm still trying to finish. The game is The Witcher 2. There's tons to do in the game and using magic is a blast, literally. It almost makes me want to invest in a proper gaming PC to experience the first game as well. My favorite game in 2011 however was Rage, which just released a 400 point expansion. So winning the points would help me to continue playing another one of my favorite games. Thanks for the contest. We CAG's always appreciate FREE. :)

My favorite game in 2012 was Mass Effect 3. The first Mass Effect hooked me with the story line. The second hooked me with the action. The third brought everything together in a satisfying, if unexpected, way. Whenever you can lose entire weeks to a game... that's a good sign of value.

my favorite game would have to be borderlands 2. i have 1 of each of the original characters maxed out,all the achievements,and the season pass. Not sure why but i really like the cell shaded graphics for the game.If i were to win i would probably spend the points on getting the mechromancer character since i haven't had the points lately and cant justify going to the store and getting a 1600 point card if i don't need that many points.

While Black Ops II and Halo 4 are enjoyable, my favorite game (of those I played in 2012) is Plants Vs Zombies. I was always slightly curious about it, but never enough to look into it. I finally downloaded the trial when it the game was on sale, and immediately bought it after the trial ran out. It is very fun, and quite addicting. My sister seems to be more addicted to it than I am, as she has unlocked all sorts of extra things in the zen garden and other stuff on her pc version (compliments of the ADA).

I`ll start by saying XCOM: Enemy Unknown came very close to stealing the show for me, but ultimately my GOTY spot was emotionally earned by The Walking Dead.

Im generally not a fan of Telltale games, despite loving oldschool point and clicks, with entries like their Jurasic Park game and Back to the Future title leaving me sorely disappointed. my expectations were low for this despite being a fan of both the comic and television series, but they literally blew me away! I truly hope Telltale continues to bring it in furtue seasons of Walking Dead and new games.

If I win, my points will be going toward one of the XCOM DLC`s currently available.

Even tho I love halo 4, with its wonderful graphics and bad to the bone game play and multi player. I have to go with borderlands 2 for best of the year. The story is awesome! The things that are said in it are hilarious and the game play is magnificent! Constant loots and traveling all over hell ! It has me looking for every chance to squeeze in game time.

My favorite game of 2012 was The Walking Dead episodes. It may have been point-and-click, but it took you on one heck of an adventure. A great cast, variability based on choices you make, and some very enjoyable sequences tied it all together as one great game. Halo 4 would be a runner-up, I did enjoy the story and the MP is fun but TWD was a new experience and that is a welcome change of pace for this gamer.

Thanks everyone so far. This is great for me too, as I get some nice opinions and thoughts on a lot of games I haven't played before, or nice thoughts on games I love.

My favorite game of 2012 is Mass Effect 3. The epic trilogy ends in dramatic fashion as you must race to defeat the ultimate evil. ME3 introduced multiplayer coop missions that not only are addicting, but extremely satisfying as well.
The beauty of this game is its amazing story, and the fact that you will never get the same ending. A game is not always about the end, but the journey. This is reflected very well in ME. Mass Effect is one of the greatest series and will certainly be reflected upon in the future. This series has some of the greatest innovations ever seen in gaming such as transferring save files to the next game and no preset character.

I'll have to go with Borderlands 2 despite the many complaints I have. My main issues were with the UI and some mechanics - traveling around (especially in vehicle) and shooting in general weren't as natural or "fun" as the first game oh and some bugs with the modeling.

The story was great and dialog was fantastic. The graphics were a slight improvement from the first game but enough to not seem too old.

I put in nearly 2 full days (played 5 or 6 days in a row averaging at least 6-7hrs a day and then took a 2 day break or so due to burnout mostly due to the shooting not being as fun then finished within 2 more days).

I really enjoyed Batman: Arkham City. I got it last xmas but hadn't played through it until a few months ago. The Story was great but I was a bit disappointed that a majority of the game is taken up by side quests. The main story just didn't take me long to get through, but the game play was still fun and the side missions are fun as well. I like trying to collect all the Riddler's Trophies.

FarCry 3 because it's awesome. I love hunting with assault rifles haha. Also, any game with hallucinations is usually pretty sweet.

thanks for the chance! hopefully I'll win and be able to get Retro City Rampage :)

My favorite game of 2012 is Mass Effect 3. Love the series. Great story. I thought Bioware did an excellent job of including all the characters from Me1 & Me2 into the plot for ME3. They brought back alot of RPG elements into the combat that were missing from ME2. More powers, more weapons that can be modified, and a better leveling up system for your character. Just a great game overall.

My favorite game of 2012 has to be Borderlands 2. They took an already amazing game and improved it in every way imaginable. I'm looking forward to all of the DLC in the coming year. Thanks for the giveaway dude!

Halo 4, just being able to see the Chief back in action and the emotional rollercoaster from mission to mission for reasons which will not be spoiled...sigh, thats my game for 2012.

NBA 2K13. The MyPlayer mode is one of the best career modes in any sports game. What is also awesome is that there are corresponding Facebook and Mobile games that allow you got gain VC points, the currency to allow you to rank up your guy. There is nothing like boosting your 7'2" Center to be a beast on the court.

The Walking Dead.
Where to begin.
The story is absolutely fantastic. The art style is beautiful. The characters are well developed. The ending is absolutely heartbreaking.
There are many other great games of 2012, but The Walking Dead is the only one that sticks to your emotions and makes you FEEL.

My favorite game of 2012 was definitely The Walking Dead. I was completely surprised that a newly developed adventure game could be so fun and intense to play. I highly recommend to play all 5 chapters to take in the entire story. It has everything and is very cheap in price for the quality.

My favorite game of 2012 was Dishonored. Featuring a fully realized world with a richly detailed history, multiple paths to every objective, and player choices that determine the story's outcome, it was the most fun, rewarding, and well-written game of the year.

I would have to go with FarCry 3. The luscious paradise environments, endless tasks to do and deep character customization left me unable to put it down.

AND IT STILL HAS A MAP EDITOR AND MULTIPLAYER AFTER THAT!

After some consideration, I'd have to say Hotline Miami is my fave of '12.

I can't quite put my finger on anything specific, but I was recently stuck on a level and had been playing it so much, I somehow dreamt a strategy that actually worked and allowed me to move forward. As a matter of fact... (leaves to play Hotline)

I hate to side with pretty much everyone else, but the Walking Dead took the cake for me. I don't know if it was the fact that I had to make hard decisions and then wait for month/months at a time to see the next episode (which probably didn't help either, been playing that game for 6-7 months by the end of it). I think what did it for me was the great character building and how by the end I really felt for my group and wished that everyone could just get along and we could all get through everything together, but the nature of the beast wouldn't allow it and it got the better of my emotions multiple times. I don't know if The Walking Dead really did anything ground breaking, and the choices were kind of unimportant in the end, but I always had a good time and still am left wanting MORE!

Borderlands 2 is my favorite game of 2012. There's just so much content and the humor is truly outstanding.

I think I would have to go with Nintendo Land purely because it is a game me and my family got to enjoy together more than we have been able to with any game since wii sports. I know it's a little lame but it takes top spot purely for the fun time with family that I associate with it.

Easily The Walking Dead. Having spent most of my younger life caring for my nieces I immediately felt right in the role of caretaker for Clem. To be honest, I don't think I've ever cared so much about a character in a game. I talked to Clem every break between action and plot point, just making sure she was okay.

well I would have to say borderlands 2 the story had a very in depth story yet a good comedic feel at the same time. parts of the story even made me feel a little emotional. and just in general they already topped their great work and co-op system in the first borderlands with a true trade system and bosses that required you to actually work together. not to mention the small, but good, customization aspect the first one lacked.

My 2012 GOTY is XCOM: Enemy Unknown. It has been a long time since a game has gotten THAT much playtime and replays out of me. The combination of macro mode resource management and tactical strategy was perfect in that "just one more month / battle" kinda way. While the impossible mode achievement may outlast me, I do intend to go back and try. Just that and the ironman cheeves left to get!

Favorite Game 2012? The Walking Dead! Great Story, hard decisions and always trying to support the group...it's like you're really part of the survival =D

My favorite game of 2012 was Far Cry 3. It was like Skyrim, only better, since it had a lush, jungle environment filled with a lot of animals. Plenty of color and character in this game, and there was a lot to do from hunting and skinning animals to picking up herbs for crafting. The best parts in the game were when the wild animals would ambush and scare the living daylights out of you.

Mortal Kombat!!!
I discovered this lovely game in 2012 and as soon as I put the disk in I knew it was going to be my favorite game! I loved the story mode, one of the best stories ever put into a game! And being able to play this with my best friend made this game even better!

for me I would have to go with skyrim I borrowed it from a friends in january I put 120 hours into it beating it but screwing up the 15 daedric artifact acheivement. ended up buying it in may to play again (also to get that acheivement). got stuck in MT for a week without my systems (grandmothers funeral) but a cousin had skyrim so we would play passing the controller around after we finished a mission (although we didn't actually beat it we put quite abit of time). then just recently borrowed it on PS3 and got the platinum. so more or less 4 playthroughs in a year of a very long game.

For me my game of the year was Journey.

There are games that were better than it, but for me it did something that no other game has ever done, and that was find out something about myself while playing it. Unfortunately what i found out was that i have some serious abandonment issues. While playing, there is a level late in the game where something is trying to find you, i was playing with some random person and i kinda got attached to playing with someone. I ended up being found by the thing (twice) and my partner left me to die. Yes i know it was just a silly game but it really affected me. :cry:

On a more positive note the game is gorgeous and one of the best experiences i ever had with a video game.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back