- - - - -

What's your favorite game of 2012. Giving away a 400 MSP Code end of January

#31 TheOtherBarber   Care for a shave? CAGiversary!   380 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

TheOtherBarber

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:27 AM

Picking just one game is a very tough thing to do. To be quite honest it's a tie for me between Borderlands 2 and The Walking Dead.
I haven't beaten Borderlands 2 thanks to the massive number of sidequests (and the fact that I don't own it) as well as wanting to get to as high of a level as I possibly can, but as a FPS/RPG hybrid it's the best of 2012.
The Walking Dead was just as good because: 1) it was exceptionally good for being 'just' a XBLA game; 2) It's got to be one of, if not, THE best point and click on the Xbox 360; and 3) the Story - all I can say about it without giving away anything is WOW there is some amazing stuff that happens.

Thanks for the giveaway aaron! :D

#32 dieresis   CAG Veteran Veteran CAGiversary!   619 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:29 AM

Halo 4: Even though it wasn't developed by Bungie, I was super excited for a continuation to the Halo series. I stood in line for the midnight launch and I soon became re-obsessed with the Halo multiplayer formula. I'm usually too busy with college to have time for video games, but I made time for video games again because 343 introduced some new features that hooked me to first-person shooter multiplayer (new customization and weapons)! I also finally finished the campaign on New Years Eve and I was impressed with the quality of the cutscenes and evolution of the storyline. I'm awaiting Halo 5 and 6 now!

I did receive The Walking Dead disc game as a Christmas present, and I'm deadly obsessed with that series, but I've yet to play it. Not sure if I would have picked it over Halo 4 if I played it before the new year, but it looks gooood.

#33 clay_ghost   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   61 Posts   Joined 6.7 Years Ago  

clay_ghost

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:57 AM

Zero Escape: Virtue's Last Reward , any thing i said about the game will be spoiler so i am not going to say anything lol

#34 JAgamer   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   122 Posts   Joined 4.3 Years Ago  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:23 AM

My overall favorite game I played last year would probably be Street Fighter X Tekken. A lot of people hated on that game but it is SO MUCH FUN tag-teaming with a friend. Probably the most fun I had in 2012 on a video game.

Thank you for the giveaway!

#35 lazyNeighbour   AERO CAGiversary!   72 Posts   Joined 2.3 Years Ago  

lazyNeighbour

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:26 AM

My favourite game I played in 2012 was definitely Forza Horizon. First of all I love playing racing games and I loved Forza Motorsport 3/4 so this game was a must have for me. When I first tried it out the thing that struck me the most was the soundtrack. Rhythmical dance music with a heavy bass line made me really feel like I was at some kind of festival. Every time I hear those songs it gives me shivers and brings back great memories(even if it wasn't that long time ago). The next thing were graphics. Those are amazing I spent lots of time just admiring the views. Lastly the most important thing - cars. Great choice, even for someone who doesn't like ultrafast cars(like me). I loved just roaming in my Miata, going into the tunnel and just revving the engine there.
Thanks for doing this. Good luck to everyone!

#36 Gram   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   887 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 09:11 AM

I liked Mass Effect 3 the best. I'm a big fan of the series and thought this entry was solid. Like a lot of other people, I wasn't a fan of the ending, but the rest of the game was good.
Posted Image

#37 The Dark Enforcer   Thunderstruck!!! CAGiversary!   452 Posts   Joined 2.5 Years Ago  

The Dark Enforcer

Posted 03 January 2013 - 11:42 AM

Tied between Trials: Evolution and Halo 4

Trials: Evolution totally blew the old Trials outta the water. More map versatility, and the awesomeness of the random user created maps has put this RedLynx title on another level.

Halo 4, just continuing to add to an awesome series. Interesting new vehicles, along with the crisp graphics blew me out of the battlefield.

#38 MattCatt   ┌─┬─┐╒══╕ ─┬─ ─┬─ CAGiversary!   115 Posts   Joined 4.4 Years Ago  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:21 PM

I'm still blown away by Gradius III for SNES. I always come back to that game when I bust out the Super Nintendo. I can just pick up and go with it whenever I like, and there's not really a story line to worry about. Even after all these years, I still don't breeze through it like I can with many modern games on Xbox 360. They just don't make games like they used to.

#39 City Hunter   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   203 Posts   Joined 3.5 Years Ago  

City Hunter

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:29 PM

My favourite game was Dead or Alive 5, in my opinion one of the best fighing game this year together with Virtua Figther 5 FS.
The new design of DOA5 is really cool, so the new gameplay features, and VF characters was a real nice extra.

#40 Citizen118   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   23 Posts   Joined 4.7 Years Ago  

Citizen118

Posted 03 January 2013 - 12:52 PM

My favorite game of 2012 is actually the mod Black Mesa Source. After all this waiting it finally released and it was the best mod I've ever played. That or Half Life, but that game is pretty old, so I wouldn't count it.

#41 goodbyetonight   ice princess CAGiversary!   775 Posts   Joined 4.1 Years Ago  

goodbyetonight

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:00 PM

Mass Effect 3. Like others have said, the ending sucked, but for me at least that didn't take away from the rest of the game which was absolutely fantastic.

98799.pngimages_zps9a2215bc.jpg

#42 Kylearan   Hell Drifter CAGiversary!   1369 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:26 PM

X-COM: Enemy Unknown.

The original X:COM was the first strategy game I ever played - and I either got tired of the controls or base management or...who knows? I was a kid. I picked it up again on the Playstation, but same result: I never finished it.

Enter the most recent entry. I still remembered how much the original sparked my interest. And I've grown tired of shooters and twitch games, slow-paced RPGs and recycled adventure games, so it seemed high-time to finally finish what I never finished before.

Granted, the game is different. Base management has been streamlined and there's less variety in the maps. But its turn-based combat plays very much the same, it's added many more RPG elements, it's prettier, and it just plays better.

Only game I pre-bought all year - and finished it within a couple days, which hasn't happened in a long time.

Basically, X:COM got me super-excited about a lot of games again. It was much needed rung in the ladder and while I'm taking a break to play Dishonored, I'm looking to play X:COM again...and again.

#43 thedolphinsrule   It's Morphin Time!!! CAGiversary!   3103 Posts   Joined 8.9 Years Ago  

thedolphinsrule

Posted 03 January 2013 - 01:30 PM

My favorite game has to be Borderlands 2. The 4 Player Online Coop was just amazing.

334204.png
12.png

#44 Faheem123   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   280 Posts   Joined 2.8 Years Ago  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:11 PM

My favourite game of 2012 was, is and will be always Dust: An Elysian Tail. It had a amazing story and awesome graphics.Being made by one person it is a awesome game.
It made me play 12hrs straight just to know what will happen next.It has a excellent gameplay and also good side quests to keep us occupied.

The creator must really be proud person now, cheers to him.

I expect more from him.Now nothing can change my mind about Dust.

Dust: An Elysian tail for the win!!!!

Edited by Faheem123, 30 January 2013 - 04:14 PM.

#45 Skullmonkey   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   275 Posts   Joined 4.9 Years Ago  

Skullmonkey

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:28 PM

I'll jump on the bandwagon also. My favorite this year was the Walking Dead. Not only was the story on par with the comics. But by releasing it in parts, just made it that much more exciting.

#46 ZombiesWorld   Would you kindly? CAGiversary!   534 Posts   Joined 3.5 Years Ago  

ZombiesWorld

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:28 PM

My favorite would have to be Spelunky, with Dishonored in a close second. I could play Spelunky for days nonstop and never become bored. And Dishonoreds story and unique gameplay was just amazing.

#47 Danimal   CheapAssing it Since 2003 CAGiversary!   2683 Posts   Joined 11.2 Years Ago   Has been playing Grim Fandango
PC

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:30 PM

The Walking Dead. I love the show, love the comic, and I love point-and-click adventures. My hype level for TWD was through the roof, and I felt like it exceeded all of my expectations. I honestly can't remember the last time a game made me care about a character as much as I did Clem. And no game has stuck with me the way this one did. Can't wait for Season 2!

Thanks for the contest, OP!
Posted Image

#48 Bigandtasty   Why should it goes well? CAGiversary!   587 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

Bigandtasty

Posted 03 January 2013 - 02:44 PM

Sleeping Dogs was what I enjoyed the most top to bottom. It was great to see how well the melee combat and the environment of Hong Kong turned out after the game had nearly been abandoned in development.

I had greater hopes for Mass Effect 3; I enjoyed it but it was still a disappointment (even if I didn't hate it as much as some others).

:whee:                           :whee:

More giveaways on Twitter!

Win a complete gaming PC!

Have mobile devices sitting around? Earn on SwagBucks and Perk.

Help? Check my guide to passive earning.

#49 Jon102185   CAG in Training CAG in Training   12 Posts   Joined 2.3 Years Ago  

Jon102185

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:22 PM

I've played a few that were really good, but I'd have to say my top game was Far Cry 3. From the story to the side missions, you can't really go wrong. It's unfortunate that it isn't a complete game in that the multiplayer isn't right there with the campaign, but one can always hope they can patch it or add some dlc to make it somewhat enjoyable and possibly even continue the awesome single player with more missions.

#50 flybrione   Guitar Solo CAGiversary!   2733 Posts   Joined 11.0 Years Ago   Has been playing The Evil Within
PS4

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:23 PM

X-COM Enemy Unknown.

I love strategy turn based games and have been waiting for a decent one to arrive on xbox for years.
The resource management was excellent and a great part of the game. I enjoyed doing all the research and acquiring new weapons and equipment as well as building my facility. I wish I would have figured a few things out about how to manage it better earlier but I still had a good time to with that part of the game.

The turn based combat and cover system were excellent and I really enjoyed the leveling system and management of my team. There were many times were I just had to restarted a match from a save because I lost a team member I grew attached too and didn't want to loose them for the entire campaign. Overall if you love strategy turn based games this one is one of the best I have played in years.

I also want to give a s nod to the Walking Dead. The second episode got me hooked and the story was excellent.

#51 PIRaterIa   Still Alive... CAGiversary!   121 Posts   Joined 5.4 Years Ago  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:25 PM

Stacking. Quite funny and original, I can't believe I didn't played this game before.
Thanks for the contest!

#52 my2k2zx2   Molly, Rockin the Doggles CAGiversary!   1213 Posts   Joined 7.5 Years Ago  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 03:34 PM

Borderlands 2. So much to do even without getting in to the multiplayer stuff.
If its free, its for me!!

#53 Zanpakuto   vs. the World CAGiversary!   227 Posts   Joined 5.7 Years Ago  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 05:02 PM

Far Cry 3. I haven’t played a game in a while that immersed me in an environment where I wanted to not only focus on the story, but the world around me. From the wildlife to the characters, the island and story is brought to life as you embark on a journey not soon to be forgotten. I found myself within the first few hours of the game just wanting to explore. The graphics are gorgeous and I was shocked it is all packed on one disc (playing the Xbox 360). I love the crafting mechanic, too. At first I was a little weary about the idea of starting bare bones and having little ability to hold equipment and more weapons, but making me earn the privilege to hold more items came as a great reward. I have played the co-op as well with a fellow family member and enjoyed the fact that it has its own story separate from that of the main campaign. It can be tough at times and I wish the missions were a little more varied, but for the most part I love having the opportunity to have someone next to you helping plan out an ambush on the pirate camp. The multiplayer feels a bit buggy and lackluster, but still functions fairly proficiently. It follows in the footsteps of such shooters as Call of Duty and Halo mechanics wise, but none the less you can still have a lot fun playing with some of its successful elements. In the end it is the single player story and characters that make this game shine. May you be fighting along side Dennis playing voice of the people or against the crazy Vaas who is trying to teach you the definition of insanity, this game is one not to be missed.

#54 parrothead87   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   194 Posts   Joined 5.0 Years Ago  

parrothead87

Posted 03 January 2013 - 06:32 PM

Mortal Kombat

Easily the best one out of the series in my opinion next to MK3. Absoultely love the graphics, the fighters, stages, etc.

The story mode was fantastic. I really loved it compared to Tekken's story mode. Was a very fun way to get back in to the series, and added some more play time to the game itself.

Tower mode is pretty fun and amazing as well. Although it seems it could get repetitive, for me it doesnt. Love finding the new challenges.

Singple player Arcade style was great as always. Could not be happier with that.

And playing online as opposed to in an actual Arcade like back in the day is fun, see so many different styles and learn so much

#55 The Lord of Awesome   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   795 Posts   Joined 5.9 Years Ago  

The Lord of Awesome

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:21 PM

Borderlands 2.

It does what any good sequel should. Take the first and put it on steroids. Handsome Jack has to be the first character in a while to have a personality as well. Best villain in a very long time.

mpmx.gif

#56 Colorfill   CAG in Training CAG in Training   25 Posts   Joined 2.3 Years Ago  

Colorfill

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:28 PM

Dust: an Elysian tale for the Xbox 360Posted Image.
I think the art style is the most eye pleasing graphical design in a video game, and it's mixed well with the comical and dark tones the story presence and hits the mark perfectly for the ending plot. The fighting mechanics as well seem to good to be made by one solo developer, it's simplistic yet bold at the same time. Letting you rack up a thousand hit combo just by spinning through the air like a tornado. Even though there isn't much progression wise for combat, seeing as you unlock nearly all fighting moves in the beginning. It does allow you do gain new abilities that let's you backtrack to unlock some of the better items later in the game. Overall, if the eye candy graphics don't hook you, the fighting system that makes anyone look like a badass no matter how terrible you are most definitely will.

Edited by Colorfill, 17 January 2013 - 08:05 PM.
Better description.

#57 will530   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   373 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:47 PM

Sleeping Dogs - I was pleasantly surprised by how good this game was. It's like a mix of GTA and Arkham City with a hefty amount of blood and violence mixed in. Wei Shen's character development throughout the story was also outstanding and I'm very surprised this game isn't garnering a whole lot of consideration for GotY.

#58 Horns   CAG Marketplace CAGiversary!   1933 Posts   Joined 8.7 Years Ago  

Posted 03 January 2013 - 07:47 PM

Max Payne 3 - It didn't hurt that Man on Fire was one of my favorite movies. A game along those lines was guaranteed to be good IMO.

I think Rockstar did an excellent job of modernizing a classic franchise. The graphics, story and music were all AAA quality. It was a lengthy title with lots of replay. A decent MP to complement the SP.
CML

#59 PenguinMaster   Sacrilicious CAGiversary!   3632 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

PenguinMaster

Posted 03 January 2013 - 08:01 PM

My favorite game of 2012 is Syndicate. It had a nice shooting engine and good graphics. The melee attacks were also great and it's rare that any first-person shooters have good melee attacks, since Call of Duty 4 way too many games just a use a standard knife attack with every gun. Syndicate uses one hit takedowns with a variety of animations that connect with the enemy. 2012 was such a terrible year for gaming that Syndicate had very little competition, it certainly would not have won if it had come out any other year.

Digital distribution is the death of the preservation of the arts.

Game Collection: http://backloggery.c...r=penguinmaster
Blu-ray Collection: http://www.blu-ray.c...ion.php?u=62784

#60 Chemicalgamer01   Huge R&C fan CAGiversary!   1138 Posts   Joined 3.2 Years Ago  

Chemicalgamer01

Posted 03 January 2013 - 10:09 PM

Borderlands 2. all of the everything in that game is perfect.