* * * * * 4 votes

If you can't slam with the best (aka RPG Thread XVIII), then jam with the rest!

#631 Indignate   Hell Yeah, I’m the Motherfucking Princess! CAGiversary!   18554 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:30 PM

Um...

Yeah, probably not.

#632 panzerfaust  

panzerfaust

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:32 PM

Whoever 5 star'd this thread needs to write an explanation why.

#633 kainzero   scv good to go sir CAGiversary!   3930 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

kainzero

Posted 08 June 2013 - 10:45 PM

it's never about whether a character in an RPG is overpowered or what not that determines whether they'll go into your party

it's purely because you like their haircut. lol

Why not, right? Got to see how that short hair looks in battle.

At any rate, it's nice to know that I'm not the only person who has felt compelled to put certain characters in my active party (in any JRPG) for reasons that have Fuck-all to do with pure gameplay. And overpowered characters suck all the fun out of things most times, anyway.

usually i just pick the hot chicks to fill out my party.

"hot" is also relative. if they have a terrible attitude then they don't belong there.

i really hate the word MOBA.

How do you feel about ARTS?

when i think about it, i hate any other description besides "dota-like"

moba was coined by lol and i dislike riot's cult mentality

arts was used by valve but why not just called it dota

and then outside of lol and dota there aren't really any other good games anyway

#634 SinOfHeart   Teddie's #1 Fan CAGiversary!   5154 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

SinOfHeart

Posted 09 June 2013 - 01:55 AM

At any rate, it's nice to know that I'm not the only person who has felt compelled to put certain characters in my active party (in any JRPG) for reasons that have Fuck-all to do with pure gameplay. And overpowered characters suck all the fun out of things most times, anyway.

I almost always pick my party based on who looks cool, unless they are really terrible.  Which I think is kind of the other end of the spectrum, if a character is totally terrible or just doesn't fit with other characters I like more than I'm not going to use them even if I think they look cool.

#635 Indignate   Hell Yeah, I’m the Motherfucking Princess! CAGiversary!   18554 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 09 June 2013 - 02:09 AM

I tend to do both.

I usually try to stick to the formula of healer, tank, etc. but I'll pick the characters I like the most for my healer, tank, etc. even if they're not the best in that regard.

#636 Erad30   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2320 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 09 June 2013 - 02:19 AM

I try and swap out as often as possible unless there someone I just hate.

#637 Indignate   Hell Yeah, I’m the Motherfucking Princess! CAGiversary!   18554 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 09 June 2013 - 02:29 AM

I'll swap if I actually like two characters enough that I want to change it up. Tales games are usually like that and it helps that your party makeup in those games doesn't really matter as long as you have a healer.

Otherwise, if I think I'm going to play through it again (Mass Effect, Dragon Age) I'll usually stick with the same people on one run and change it any subsequent playthrough. Especially if there is specific dialogue depending on your party like those games have.

#638 godsentdeath   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   21 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

godsentdeath

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:11 AM

Beat Tales of the Abyss (ps2) which was long as hell, but overall an enjoyable game. Luke was a bit lame with his emo-ness, but it got a bit better towards the middle of the game.

I popped in Super Mario 64 for old times sake. Got about 35 stars then got bored.

I then started .hack//infection. I heard so many good things about this series. I got about 3.5 hours into the game. I think I will be calling it quits. The premis is interesting, but I get the feeling this series is going to be nothing but 4 games of long arduous dugeon crawls. Any input on whether I am incorrect in that regard? Battle system is a bit meh also.

Also, looking to start the shin megami tensei series/franchise. I havent play any of them at all, so not sure where to even begin. Interested in all of the series, persona, digital devil saga, summoner ect. Can anyone point me in a starting direction?

#639 Indignate   Hell Yeah, I’m the Motherfucking Princess! CAGiversary!   18554 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 09 June 2013 - 03:24 AM

You hit it right on the head.

I think people lied it at the time because of the way it was MMOish or what have you.

I think I made it a couple hours into the second game before I just couldn't care anymore. They sell for quite a bit, particularly the last one. You should probably do that instead.

#640 GhostShark   The Drunken Whaler CAGiversary!   3143 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

GhostShark

Posted 09 June 2013 - 06:38 AM

Quina is as awesome as FFX. Meaning, yeah, she is amazing. I think I primarily used Zidane, Garnet, Steiner and Vivi (Magic Sword is pretty damn good). I had a soft spot for Freya until I needed Garnet in my party.

#641 Erad30   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2320 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 09 June 2013 - 10:11 AM

Beat Tales of the Abyss (ps2) which was long as hell, but overall an enjoyable game. Luke was a bit lame with his emo-ness, but it got a bit better towards the middle of the game.

I popped in Super Mario 64 for old times sake. Got about 35 stars then got bored.

I then started .hack//infection. I heard so many good things about this series. I got about 3.5 hours into the game. I think I will be calling it quits. The premis is interesting, but I get the feeling this series is going to be nothing but 4 games of long arduous dugeon crawls. Any input on whether I am incorrect in that regard? Battle system is a bit meh also.

Also, looking to start the shin megami tensei series/franchise. I havent play any of them at all, so not sure where to even begin. Interested in all of the series, persona, digital devil saga, summoner ect. Can anyone point me in a starting direction?

I played the hell out of the first .Hack game because I really liked the premise. The second one was the exact same and I was instantly over it. From what I heard it hasn't changed much over the course of the series.

#642 themaster20000   You sleeping yet? CAGiversary!   2537 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

themaster20000

Posted 09 June 2013 - 01:19 PM

Digital Devil Saga is a pretty good starting point to get into the series. Persona 3 is also a good starting point,but the story  takes a while to get going in that one.

#643 Krymner   Yup, I think you're sexy CAGiversary!   3030 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Posted 09 June 2013 - 04:32 PM

I still need to play DDS. My first SMT game was Persona 3 FES.

I wish the AI in White Knight Chronicles for teammates was as programmable as Final Fantasy XII. Combat itself is similar, but my team's AI actions are just stupid. It makes battles longer than they should be. They almost never attack with whatever the enemy is weak against, and if they would just do that with some degree of consistincy I would enjoy the game more.

#644 RKasa   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4374 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 09 June 2013 - 04:34 PM

Going back to the party member discussion temporarily: I try to use everyone and keep them all roughly at the same level, but I'll often swap characters in depending on their current ties to the plot (most recently did this in Abyss when tackling certain bosses/dungeons) or just because I like them. Oh, and gameplay reasons too, sometimes.

Hey, I for one don't mind! :lol:

Digital Devil Saga is a pretty good starting point to get into the series. Persona 3 is also a good starting point,but the story  takes a while to get going in that one.

Seconding DDS as a good starting point. That was my own entry into the series, and I've been hooked ever since; my one disappointment was Nocturne, but it's older than DDS, has a grimmer tone, and is not as story-focused.

#645 Indignate   Hell Yeah, I’m the Motherfucking Princess! CAGiversary!   18554 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 09 June 2013 - 09:01 PM

I still need to play DDS. My first SMT game was Persona 3 FES.

I wish the AI in White Knight Chronicles for teammates was as programmable as Final Fantasy XII. Combat itself is similar, but my team's AI actions are just stupid. It makes battles longer than they should be. They almost never attack with whatever the enemy is weak against, and if they would just do that with some degree of consistincy I would enjoy the game more.

The AI in that game is ridiculous. They'll never use attacks that take up SP (or whatever it is in that game) either. So they'll stick to the most basic of attacks.

I set them up with combos and used the "Help Out" command which is like L1 and square/circle depending on the ally. That will make them use there strongest attacks which would end up being those combos. You can really metagame this to get the most efficiency out of them, but the game isn't that hard that it's necessary that they're hitting weakpoints and stuff like that.

#646 JEKKI   JEKKI WOO FOO FOO CAGiversary!   7044 Posts   Joined 16.5 Years Ago  

Posted 09 June 2013 - 11:41 PM

and then outside of lol and dota there aren't really any other good games anyway

I heard sum ppl call those games LOMAs

it stands for Lords Management

#647 SinOfHeart   Teddie's #1 Fan CAGiversary!   5154 Posts   Joined 15.3 Years Ago  

SinOfHeart

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:54 AM

I 5 stared it because you made this post...

#648 kainzero   scv good to go sir CAGiversary!   3930 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

kainzero

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:54 AM

I heard sum ppl call those games LOMAs

it stands for Lords Management

my favorite is ASSFAGGOTS

Aeon of Strife Styled Fortress Assault Game Going On Two Sides

#649 Indignate   Hell Yeah, I’m the Motherfucking Princess! CAGiversary!   18554 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 03:57 AM

Sounds like a commercial Activision would put out.

#650 Krymner   Yup, I think you're sexy CAGiversary!   3030 Posts   Joined 15.1 Years Ago  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 02:56 PM

ku-medium.jpg

Looks like FFXV and KH3 confirmed for PS4?

Curiously, the FF XV logo looks very much like the Versus logo:
250px-Final_Fantasy_Versus_XIII.png

#651 Action!   Game fan game dev CAGiversary!   7400 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 12:56 PM

Quina is as awesome as FFX. Meaning, yeah, she is amazing. I think I primarily used Zidane, Garnet, Steiner and Vivi (Magic Sword is pretty damn good). I had a soft spot for Freya until I needed Garnet in my party.

FFIX is one of the few games in which I liked pretty much the whole party. I'd say Eiko's my least favorite, but even she wasn't too bad.

Even more fun was when I would gameshark the secondary characters into my party back in the day. Beatrix and Steiner were great, and playing the whole game as Tantalus was hilarious.

#652 Indignate   Hell Yeah, I’m the Motherfucking Princess! CAGiversary!   18554 Posts   Joined 11.8 Years Ago  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:09 PM

I think pretty much everyone assumes Versus is turning into XV.

#653 panzerfaust  

panzerfaust

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:26 PM

Yeah looks like Versus is FF15. Hopefully they reworked it.

Never liked KH, but I guess a PS4 KH is a pretty huge deal for those fans.

#654 eldergamer   Gold Star For Robot Boy CAGiversary!   6635 Posts   Joined 14.4 Years Ago  

eldergamer

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:44 PM

15 hours into Growlanser Generations. And maybe only about a 1/3rd of the way done according to Gamefaqs.

#655 RKasa   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4374 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 04:44 PM

Now the million-gil question is: how much longer is it going to take for FF Versus XV to come out? :lol:

#656 raiden_86   Mrgrgr! CAGiversary!   1083 Posts   Joined 9.1 Years Ago  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:20 PM

XVI will be out before XV

#657 ID2006   "Klaymen, up here!" CAGiversary!   504 Posts   Joined 13.6 Years Ago  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 08:45 PM

I love the first 2 Kingdom Hearts games. Hoping the 2nd remix will have the PSP game so I can play it on my PS3. I also hope KH3 will be the last. Just end it nice and move on, please?

Oh, right. Let Versus be an action RPG still.

#658 panzerfaust  

panzerfaust

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:44 PM

Versus (now 15) was being directed by Nomura, ya? That's a first. Should be another interesting curve ball for the FF franchise in terms of style.

Hope to god those PC rumors were true.

#659 kainzero   scv good to go sir CAGiversary!   3930 Posts   Joined 14.7 Years Ago  

kainzero

Posted 10 June 2013 - 09:47 PM

i started that fire emblem game for 3ds

well

i learned how much i suck at fire emblem. lol

#660 RKasa   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4374 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

Posted 10 June 2013 - 10:40 PM

Oh, right. Let Versus be an action RPG still.

Given that it's a main series FF now, what are the chances of that?

Well, considering that there's two MMOs in the main series... maybe not as slim as one would think...

Versus (now 15) was being directed by Nomura, ya? That's a first. Should be another interesting curve ball for the FF franchise in terms of style.

Nomura as the director of FFXV, huh. I don't know if I can get behind it, but he can't do any worse than Kitase...