If you can't slam with the best (aka RPG Thread XVIII), then jam with the rest!

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='panzerfaust']I really like VII's optional segments, they almost seem to outshine the main plot. I thought the Wutai thing with Yuffie was hilarious.[/QUOTE]

Well duh, that's because Yuffie is the best character in that game. :cool:

Nearing the end of the game and while I can't really say I didn't like all the materia collection, it certainly took a little umph out of the party customization for me. I'm not against making characters blank slates, I enjoy having that freedom, but I never really had a materia selection rich enough where I felt it wasn't all just arbitrary. Like, it all boils down to Limit Break spamming and well timed Cures, so all that other magic materia really isn't worth the HP sacrifice. You essentially just need All->[Elemental Spell] to get through dungeon mobs, and then the smart thing to do for the boss fights is to unequip all the filler magic you never use [Time, Heal, most Summons, most Elementals, etc...] because the HP sacrifice isn't worth taking.

All my Cid really needs is Cover + Counter and that completes his role in my party while Cloud gets leftover dexterity/luck materia, and Tifa has my magic (Cure + Ultima). There's not much else to play around with in this game unless you grind out the game breaking materia combinations before facing
Sephy.

Not that I have any problem with Limit Break spamming.

[quote name='The Crotch']That is one of my all-time favourite spoiler tags.[/QUOTE]
sorry to interrupt but blueswim had the greatest spoiler tags of all-time.

of all-time!

PS: this is for you jekki

Started Dungeons of Dredmor today. Yeah, I've already died a few times, but it's not the hardest roguelike I've ever played. In other words, I'll manage, but I don't know how long it'll take me to beat it :p

It's good, though the crafting system leaves much to be desired. I guess it's nice to know it's there, but I'd be just as hooked on this game if it wasn't included.

[quote name='Indignate']You don't figure out his nickname until you 100% on FF mode.

Not many people have done it so the spoiler is well used.[/QUOTE]
Nah. All you need a Super-S Class White Chocobo.

I don't have any real strong opinions about the DLC. I have Realm of the Diggle Gods, but don't have its bonus dungeons turned on right now, though its new skill trees, none of which I've used, are active; not sure about the rest of that DLC's features.

[quote name='blueshinra']Started Dungeons of Dredmor today. Yeah, I've already died a few times, but it's not the hardest roguelike I've ever played. In other words, I'll manage, but I don't know how long it'll take me to beat it :p[/QUOTE]

Yea, it seems rather easy. I played it twice. First time, I died pretty fast. Second time, I got pretty far, and even cleared a huge room full of monsters.

[quote name='The Crotch']Dungeons of Dredmor looks super interesting to me. Hope it goes on sale soon.[/QUOTE]

Message me on Steam and I can give you one of the two copies that has been sitting in my inventory (Main Game + Diggle Gods) for a year.

[quote name='elessar123']Yea, it seems rather easy. I played it twice. First time, I died pretty fast. Second time, I got pretty far, and even cleared a huge room full of monsters.[/QUOTE]
I wouldn't call it "easy", but even with permadeath on, it doesn't seem as tough as Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer or FTL.

Of course, luck is a major factor in these types of games, so I could be wrong, but at the very least, it certainly helps that you can go back and forth between floors.

[quote name='blueshinra']I wouldn't call it "easy", but even with permadeath on, it doesn't seem as tough as Mystery Dungeon: Shiren the Wanderer or FTL.

Of course, luck is a major factor in these types of games, so I could be wrong, but at the very least, it certainly helps that you can go back and forth between floors.[/QUOTE]

You can't go back in Shiren? In most old roguelikes, you could.

[quote name='Draekon']Message me on Steam and I can give you one of the two copies that has been sitting in my inventory (Main Game + Diggle Gods) for a year.[/QUOTE]
Damn, man. Thanks.

[quote name='elessar123']You can't go back in Shiren? In most old roguelikes, you could.[/QUOTE]
You can, but not on the later floors, and going all the way back resets you to Level 1. There's also time limits on all the floors, and the hunger meter.

Finished VII. Clocked out at ~25 hours which was about the same amount of time it took me to get through VIII. Was a good time, though my heart sank a little when the ending boss went down so quickly.

About halfway thru Tales of Graces f. The only other Tales games I have played are Symphonia, Abyss, and Legendia, and Graces easily has the best combat of them all. Not too taken with the characters or story (its no Symphonia....when they gonna rerelease that on a handheld?) and the music is only average (Legendia's music was so great). But the battle system is tight.

That said, my overall opinion of the whole Tales series isn't too high. I mean, they are some pretty good rpgs, don't get me wrong. My beef is that they are all so damn similar. The battle system in Graces may be the best, but it really isn't too different from previous entries. Nor is much of the games other features. Each new game just tweaks elements from the previous ones.

Again, I'm not saying they are bad games or anything, I just wish Namco would try something different.

[quote name='panzerfaust']Finished VII. Clocked out at ~25 hours which was about the same amount of time it took me to get through VIII. Was a good time, though my heart sank a little when the ending boss went down so quickly.[/QUOTE]

The Weapons are always more challenging. Ultima Weapon in VIII took me 7 tries the first time, while the boss was try #1.

[quote name='Krymner']That said, my overall opinion of the whole Tales series isn't too high. I mean, they are some pretty good rpgs, don't get me wrong. My beef is that they are all so damn similar. The battle system in Graces may be the best, but it really isn't too different from previous entries. Nor is much of the games other features. Each new game just tweaks elements from the previous ones.

Again, I'm not saying they are bad games or anything, I just wish Namco would try something different.[/QUOTE]
I guess Tales is the Dragon Quest or Pokemon of action RPGs?

Just beat Abyss myself. The final battle was tough, as expected, and I liked the ending. The whole game took me around 65 hours... less than Symphonia and Legendia, but still @_@

Maybe I should stop playing Tales games and just watch the anime adaptations. They're already mostly anime to begin with.

[quote name='blueshinra']Just beat Abyss myself. The final battle was tough, as expected, and I liked the ending.[/QUOTE]

Which side do you fall on? Luke, Asch, Both?

I can't enjoy the Tales series anymore, myself. Like Krymner said, they're too similar. Tales of Phantasia (SNES) and Symphonia were excellent. I lost interest fairly early on with Vesperia and Abyss. Haven't really played the others.

I still think Phantasia was the best (story, gameplay, artwork), although Symphonia sure had a lot of stuff to do in it.

Dredmor's crafting is indeed pretty balls. Which is a shame, because being able to make a sword out of grenades is inherently sweet-ass, but the interface is really bad.

On the last of the 4 temples for Persona 2. The enemies are too low for me to level up against, and I'm too low of a level to trade my new cards in for better Personas.

Will probably have to visit the optional dungeon after this.
Plan to be done with the game by April. I really need to move on to other games, even though I'm enjoying this one.

Holy shit. Cavia was the best studio ever:
How did Drakengard come to be? Please tell us the secret story of its development.

It was during a drinking session with Cavia’s producer, Takuya Iwasaki, and Square Enix’s Shiba-san. At the time we had a developer who worked on Ace Combat and we asked Square Enix: “How about something involving flying on dragons?” Dynasty Warriors was popular at the time and it was Shiba that insisted on implementing Dynasty Warriors features.
Literally, "We got drunk and decided to make a game about flying dragons."

Yoko Taro also said that his games are weird because he doesn't want to compete with Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest.

[quote name='blueshinra']Just beat Abyss myself. The final battle was tough, as expected, and I liked the ending. The whole game took me around 65 hours... less than Symphonia and Legendia, but still @_@[/QUOTE]

I think I had more trouble with the boss that happened before the time skip leading up to the end of the game. I don't think I actually died on either, but I think I spammed more rare items during that fight.

I think the gimmick of the dungeon level I'm on right now is "levers, bookshelves, and other shit blocking off half the fucking dungeon". Even Brax the Salesdemon has cut off access to half his shop.

[quote name='icebeast']I think I had more trouble with the boss that happened before the time skip leading up to the end of the game. I don't think I actually died on either, but I think I spammed more rare items during that fight.[/QUOTE]
I died on the final boss the first time and beat him on the second, but can't remember whether or not I did for the pre-timeskip one. And yeah, I spammed Life Bottles and my better gels like crazy during that final battle.

[quote name='The Crotch']I think the gimmick of the dungeon level I'm on right now is "levers, bookshelves, and other shit blocking off half the fucking dungeon". Even Brax the Salesdemon has cut off access to half his shop.[/QUOTE]
The foreground walls tend to hide one square of floor, if that helps. Non-sequitur about the levers: I can't figure out what some of them do half the time, because they affect something that's offscreen.

On the 7th floor in my current run, and almost ready to move on to the 8th. The main thing left that I want to do there is finish wiping out a Monster Zoo. I've also amassed a ton of money, but don't have much to spend it on right now.

I think I've been really lucky as far as finding stuff to spend money on goes. Picked up a Daemonic Diggle Skull helmet and a high-level flail ("Royal Mace", I think it's called), so that ate up about $80,000. Buy a lot of cheap throwing weapons to put in my Horadric Cube, too.

Levers, as far as I can tell: open side-passages, open portcullises, open uberchests, spawn monsters, spawn evil chests, spawn healing crystals, teleport you, or spawn/activate traps. If one seems to do fuck all, it probably either opened an uberchest or a side-passage.

[quote name='The Crotch']Levers, as far as I can tell: open side-passages, open portcullises, open uberchests, spawn monsters, spawn evil chests, spawn healing crystals, teleport you, or spawn/activate traps. If one seems to do fuck all, it probably either opened an uberchest or a side-passage.[/QUOTE]
They can also spawn vending machines in certain spots :D

[quote name='The Crotch']If one seems to do fuck all, it probably either opened an uberchest or a side-passage.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, that's what I assume, but it's not all that obvious sometimes.

Oh, right, the rune rooms.

I think the side-passages that get opened up are always really close by and usually have one item in them, but the uberchest can be anywhere on the map.

Whelp, I found a way to get to some of the blocked off dungeon parts: the mace skill "Dwarven Handshake" doesn't just knock back enemies, it also pushes items and environmental objects around. Combine that with an AOE attack and you can rearrange quite a bit of a room.

I was planning on picking up Nier after I got my Amazon Trade-In credit.
But now the price has jumped back up to $35 from the $19 it was at a few weeks before.

finally beat FF4 on the psp.i had a lot of fun with it and i thought it was done great on the psp. The After Years part was hit and miss for me, but i liked
Kain turning to a holy dragoon, having Golbez in your party and more Rydia!

Going to start tales of graces f next.

[quote name='Indignate']You have too for all the endings dawg.[/QUOTE]
No? You need to get all the non-DLC weapons for the final endings (which are totally fucking worth jumping through hoops for), and I'm pretty sure you don't have to do any gardening or fishing for those.

Hmm... final endings, huh?

I beat Nier once and remember losing interest when the game turned into an e-book.

Did I miss out on something?

Yup. On a New Game+:
The game picks up half-way through and you (the player, not the character) can hear and understand what the shades say, including Kaine's shade. It's one of the best things in the game. Ending B is unlocked, which is basically Ending A with a bit more detail.

On your second run through New Game+, if you have all the weapons unlocked:
You can get endings C and D.
C involves killing shade-possessed Kaine, whereas D requires you to kill yourself to save her. Except you're not just killing yourself, you're erasing yourself from existence. Including the memory of yourself. Including your save game file.

Honestly, they should have made Ending B the default ending and not shunted C and D off into a second run of New Game+. For how good the final endings are, they really seem to have not wanted anyone to ever fucking see them.

EDIT: If you're curious about New Game+ and the other endings but really don't want to play through them, I can not recommend enough The Dark Id's compilation of them. That dude is the best.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back