If you can't slam with the best (aka RPG Thread XVIII), then jam with the rest!

Status
Not open for further replies.
[quote name='blueshinra']It would have to be the Chaos Dunk, of course.[/QUOTE]

The Holy Dunk you get from Dikembe Mutombo is the best dunk ever. NOT IN MY HOUSE. HA HA HA.

Just finished off FF9 tonight, in about 41 hours. Personally, I thought it was solid, but not spectacular. Thought it was a little on the easy side. Technically, probably the pinnacle of PSX development, tho.

Just finished Suikoden III after a nearly three year break.Overall it was just okay.The story was good and all,but it had way too much exposition.The world map layout was also pretty annoying to get around in.

The game also had a lot of where thefuck do I go moments,and the war battles were horrendous,and that last fight with Yuber was really cheap.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='GhostShark']The Holy Dunk you get from Dikembe Mutombo is the best dunk ever. NOT IN MY HOUSE. HA HA HA.[/QUOTE]
558004_617032534991941_205923320_n.jpg

[quote name='Indignate']I think it's the best FF on the PSX. Although I probably like VII more.

It's complicated.[/QUOTE]

I understand. Technically FF9 is the better game. But FFVII will always be FFVII.

[quote name='themaster20000']Just finished Suikodem III after a nearly three year break.Overall it was just okay.The story was good and all,but it had way too much exposition.The world map layout was also pretty annoying to get around in.

The game also had a lot of where thefuck do I go moments,and the war battles were horrendous,and that last fight with Yuber was really cheap.[/QUOTE]

I enjoyed this game but couldn't go back and play it again. It's got some great characters and I like the diffrent perspectives (even though Thomas' was kinda boring) To this day it's the farthest one along in the timeline (since IV & V were prequels.) But I didn't like the buddy battle system and as you addressed the world map and having to walk through the same fields several times is tedious.

If I ever need to revisit the story I always have the manga ;)

It does.

Doing sidequests and grinding a bit in Abyss (I want that expensive sword for sale in Chesedonia!) before heading into final dungeon territory. Did the mushroom forest place and it was tough; went back to grind and treasure-hunt a little and it's still tough. Finally did the ruins puzzles in the Meggiora (sp?) Highlands, but that seems to have been a waste of time.

Also upgraded the plane; it's nice to be able to land anywhere now... well, anywhere that isn't still blocked off by sandstorms or whatnot. That's the most irritating thing about the overworld: those blocked-off areas, which I'm assuming are postgame ones, that it's far too easy to constantly run into. Surely there must've been a better way to handle that.

And I also got what looks like my first alternate outfit. It's for Luke and although I'm not a huge Luke fan... daaamn, he looks good in it.

That's good stuff, it's definitely worthy of the kitchen remodel. I don't even need to go into the Ikea showroom, just send me the marble half-nudes, the pebbles, the greenery, etc., and I'll put the contractor on it.

I will say that the movement of the trees and bushes is kinda off in that video. The trees are too synchronized and the bushes are too desynchronized. But the lighting, though!

Some of the sidequests in Abyss are ridiculous. In one case, there's only really vague hints to go by; in a couple others, there's no hints at all.

I've barely touched Dark Souls and I'm excited for Dark Souls 2.

I'm weird like that.

Not going to lie, Crotch, but after watching that Project Eternity video, I'm actually somewhat interested in the game. It looks really nice.

[quote name='blueshinra']Some of the sidequests in Abyss are ridiculous. In one case, there's only really vague hints to go by; in a couple others, there's no hints at all.[/QUOTE]
when i think about sidequests i think about the one game that really got me into liking them

and that game is chrono trigger, because the dude tells you where to go. it's not fun looking for sidequests.

[quote name='Indignate']Gawd that engine was hideous.[/QUOTE]
KQnoQTN.jpg

[quote name='Luxuria']Not going to lie, Crotch, but after watching that Project Eternity video, I'm actually somewhat interested in the game. It looks really nice.[/QUOTE]
Still a year out, unfortunately. And honestly, I'll be surprised if they hit their April 2014 projection.

the underground tunnels in midgar were an absolute nightmare. i wanted to get the optional treasure so i had to stay there for 20 minutes longer than i needed, running into these rocket turrets that take two turns in a row, each attacking with a 12 second animation (i counted), and each time hitting me for exactly '0' damage. i don't understand the design there. they exist to be obnoxious?

[quote name='kainzero']when i think about sidequests i think about the one game that really got me into liking them

and that game is chrono trigger, because the dude tells you where to go. it's not fun looking for sidequests.[/QUOTE]
Chrono Trigger's sidequests are the best sidequests.

[quote name='panzerfaust']the underground tunnels in midgar were an absolute nightmare. i wanted to get the optional treasure so i had to stay there for 20 minutes longer than i needed, running into these rocket turrets that take two turns in a row, each attacking with a 12 second animation (i counted), and each time hitting me for exactly '0' damage. i don't understand the design there. they exist to be obnoxious?[/QUOTE]
Those are the ones that slow you, right? Hate those things.

[quote name='blueshinra']Chrono Trigger's sidequests are the best sidequests.[/QUOTE]

As long as you pretend the DS version doesn't exist.

[quote name='ID2006']As long as you pretend the DS version doesn't exist.[/QUOTE]
Fortunately, the new sidequests in that are easy enough to ignore. The new translation is awesome, too.

[quote name='blueshinra']Fortunately, the new sidequests in that are easy enough to ignore. The new translation is awesome, too.[/QUOTE]

They're only easy to ignore if you're NOT like the typical RPG gamer — aka Hoardy McCompletionist.

I wish I had ignored them. I kept hoping there would be an interesting storyline payoff. Ugh...

[quote name='ID2006']They're only easy to ignore if you're NOT like the typical RPG gamer — aka Hoardy McCompletionist.[/QUOTE]
Now I'm wondering how many of us are like that. I generally go for completing as much as possible within reason and without a guide (that said, I don't think I'll be finishing the remaining few Abyss sidequests I've been working on). Nowadays, sidequests have to be interesting enough for me to take on as well.

How about everyone else? Hoardy McCompletionist or not?

It really depends on my backlog with other games and work/reading/writing loads with college. I usually try to do as much as possible in a game including side quests, mini-games and gathering/crafting stuff.

[quote name='ID2006']They're only easy to ignore if you're NOT like the typical RPG gamer — aka Hoardy McCompletionist.

I wish I had ignored them. I kept hoping there would be an interesting storyline payoff. Ugh...[/QUOTE]

I thought the bonus ending to the DS version was mildly interesting (it at least tried to tie Cross in a bit better), and it did have a slightly more challenging boss than Lavos. I did the other side stuff which just took a lot of time for not much reward, and I wasn't touching the monster raising thing at all, haha.

[quote name='blueshinra']Now I'm wondering how many of us are like that. I generally go for completing as much as possible within reason and without a guide (that said, I don't think I'll be finishing the remaining few Abyss sidequests I've been working on). Nowadays, sidequests have to be interesting enough for me to take on as well.

How about everyone else? Hoardy McCompletionist or not?[/QUOTE]

Depends, I have been known to use guides from the start if I know the game has multiple endings and I want to get one of them (SMT: Nocturne is a major one that I used one for so I could get the True Demon ending on my play through), and for Tales of games since they are so crazy with timing on getting stuff so you can even access the end game side quests I tend to use guides. Outside of that I usually just play a game through, finish side quests that I find myself, if I feel like it I might check a guide before finishing the game to see if there is anything else I want to do; but I typically don't do tons of side stuff, and don't typically bother with anything that seems like it will be needlessly time consuming with little or no gain.

With all the FF7 talk, I decided to try it out. This is my first time playing it. I only played for about 3 hours so far and I'm enjoying it. :D

[quote name='sherlock2g']This is my first time playing it.[/QUOTE]
Wow, I didn't think people like you still existed! O_O It would be really interesting to hear your thoughts on it as you play.

As for the next game I wanted to play, I'd finally decided to start Etrian Odyssey IV... but then I found a dead pixel on my XL. Going to call Nintendo today about that.

Probably going to buy a game (finally) for my 3DS this weekend. What are some of the best 3DS JRPGs? If nothing peaks my interest I'll just continue to play Pokeymans on it.

[quote name='blueshinra']Now I'm wondering how many of us are like that. I generally go for completing as much as possible within reason and without a guide (that said, I don't think I'll be finishing the remaining few Abyss sidequests I've been working on). Nowadays, sidequests have to be interesting enough for me to take on as well.

How about everyone else? Hoardy McCompletionist or not?[/QUOTE]

I usually try to get everything and do the sidequests that have a substantial reward (ultimate weapons, etc).
I almost never do any post-game content though. Once I'm done with a game, I've usually got whatever I'm going to play next already picked out and I'm eager to try it.

[quote name='blueshinra']Wow, I didn't think people like you still existed! O_O It would be really interesting to hear your thoughts on it as you play. [/QUOTE]

To be honest, I just got into RPGs about 2 or 3 years ago and fell in love. I didn't play a lot of games in the N64, PS1/2 era(was poor at the time). Since I got a DS, PS3 and Vita I'm kind of playing catch up. I love the 8/16 bit games. I always wanted to play Final Fantasy games for years but didn't know where to start. I jumped on the recent FF and Persona sales and with a new 16GB memory card for the vita, it's time to play catch up. I'll update as much as I can on my FF7 progress. :bouncy:

i waffle on the sidequests. i usually do them if they're interesting, but i hate doing them and getting bored and not finishing the actual game.

also i like waffles.

got my harvest moon 3ds, time to start on it soon.

[quote name='Luxuria']Apparently it is. ^_^[/QUOTE]
Is it a Namco Bandai online store exclusive? After all the headaches with Ni no Kuni, I'm not gonna bite if it is.

Also, re: trailer - the character animation's kinda wooden, but otherwise, looks good!

that milla girl is pretty cool, i really like her design.

i also have a weakness for blonde anime girls.
that contrasts with my preference for black-haired japanese real life girls.

(not that i prefer japanese girls over all other girls, but that when i watch TV and other japanese entertainment, i tend to find the black-haired ones more attractive than those with dyed hair.)

[quote name='blueshinra']Is it a Namco Bandai online store exclusive? After all the headaches with Ni no Kuni, I'm not gonna bite if it is.[/QUOTE]

Based on what I've heard, it is a Namco-Bandai Store exclusive. I didn't have any issues with my Ni no Kuni order though.

I may be wrong on NA. It is exclusive in Europe.

Last edited by a moderator:
I prefer sidequests that are logged (like in most WRPGs) and absolutely hate the way Tales of games handle them. They are almost always reliant on visiting random places at completely random times. Like, you are almost guaranteed not to see most of them without a guide.

And Boo if you say the Infinity Engine sucked. It allowed for some really really gorgeous backgrounds (yeah, the character models themselves were usually pretty ass though haha)

[quote name='Zmonkay']I prefer sidequests that are logged (like in most WRPGs) and absolutely hate the way Tales of games handle them. They are almost always reliant on visiting random places at completely random times. Like, you are almost guaranteed not to see most of them without a guide.[/QUOTE]
Now that I think about it, maybe that's part of the reason why there is so much plot-related running around to random places in late-game Abyss. Without that, Luke in my game wouldn't have done the Beginner's Pilgrimage or gotten the Spa Membership.

However, now that it looks like all I have left is to go to the final dungeon, I can't rely on that to help me find some artes that I'm currently missing.

[quote name='blueshinra']Now that I think about it, maybe that's part of the reason why there is so much plot-related running around to random places in late-game Abyss. Without that, Luke in my game wouldn't have done the Beginner's Pilgrimage or gotten the Spa Membership.

However, now that it looks like all I have left is to go to the final dungeon, I can't rely on that to help me find some artes that I'm currently missing.[/QUOTE]

Are you playing the PS2 or 3DS verison? If you're playing the 3DS verison, how is it? I'm thinking about getting a 3DS XL and Tales of the Abyss. :bouncy:

[quote name='blueshinra']PS2 version. I don't know much about the 3DS one aside from that it seems to be a straight port.[/QUOTE]
Looking at reviews, it is a straight port. Too bad it wasn't ported to the Vita or made as a PS2 Classic/HD Remake for PS3.

I really like VII's optional segments, they almost seem to outshine the main plot. I thought the Wutai thing with Yuffie was hilarious.

I played it some years ago and had a good time. The Genesis character was pretty dumb and I don't think it did VII's universe very much good, but I enjoyed the fleshing out of the Zack/Aeris/Cloud relationship. It also played really well.

Ah, okay. I actually agree. Any part of the story that actually felt related to FF7 was really good, but Genesis was just weird.

I really like Zack by the end of the game. For me, it turned my feelings of the whole FF7 saga from apathy to fondness.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back