If you can't slam with the best (aka RPG Thread XVIII), then jam with the rest!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Done with Tales of Graces f. The ending was kinda blah, but I really wasn't expecting anything exceptional. I will try out the post-game stuff someday, but I'm ready to move on now.

One of my RPG pet peeves is the lack of a strong villian. So few modern RPGs have great villians nowadays. Graces's villian was weak since they spent too much time wanting you to sympathize with it. I love to hate the villian, not feel sorry for him. Great rpgs are great partly because the villian is such a strong figure. Kefka and Sephiroth work so well because they are asshat douchebags that you actually WANT to kick their ass, giving you strong motivation to keep playing. Graces lacked that motivation.

Can anyone name some recent RPGs that have strong, well developed, hate-inducing villians?

[quote name='Krymner']Can anyone name some recent RPGs that have strong, well developed, hate-inducing villians?[/QUOTE]
I don't know about well developed, but right now, Lord Dredmor is definitely strong and hate-inducing for me (yes, he beat me, yet again).

Seriously though, nothing springs to mind, but that's might be because I haven't played many recent RPGs that are particularly plot heavy.

[quote name='kainzero']anywhere know where tales of xillia preorders are being accepted?

i guess i'll get that CE[/QUOTE]

Amazon and Gamestop.com.

Edit: Oh wow, OOS on both. It was in stock on amazon a few hours ago.

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Krymner']Can anyone name some recent RPGs that have strong, well developed, hate-inducing villians?[/QUOTE]

Wow, I honestly can't. I want to say The Witcher 2, but I don't remember whether hate was a factor. Hmm.

I actually never hated Sephiroth, though. Kefka, on the other hand... what a delightfully evil villain. I wish there were more like him.

Edit: Yakuza 3 or 4, also. I can't recall which — possibly both. But there were definitely some hate-worthy antagonists in that entire series. I also can't think of any other series that lets you get retribution in a more satisfying way.

kefka was a protagonist's villain.
the game was focused more on solving your guys's problems instead of kefka, at least in the latter half.

kinda like lavos.

[quote name='suko_32']Amazon and Gamestop.com.[/QUOTE]

wow i feel dumb
although i did check GS and it was out of stock

Last edited by a moderator:
[quote name='Krymner']Done with Tales of Graces f. The ending was kinda blah, but I really wasn't expecting anything exceptional. I will try out the post-game stuff someday, but I'm ready to move on now.

One of my RPG pet peeves is the lack of a strong villian. So few modern RPGs have great villians nowadays. Graces's villian was weak since they spent too much time wanting you to sympathize with it. I love to hate the villian, not feel sorry for him. Great rpgs are great partly because the villian is such a strong figure. Kefka and Sephiroth work so well because they are asshat douchebags that you actually WANT to kick their ass, giving you strong motivation to keep playing. Graces lacked that motivation.

Can anyone name some recent RPGs that have strong, well developed, hate-inducing villians?[/QUOTE]
Alpha Protocol and New Vegas?

[quote name='The Crotch']Alpha Protocol and New Vegas?[/QUOTE]

I havn't played New Vegas, but yeah, Alpha Protocol did most of their villians very well I thought. Much better than Mass Effect.

Come to think of it, the last Bioware villain I thought was done well was Loghain, and even then, a lot of his motivation was lost to cut content. I know some people really liked Saren, but I couldn't handle the dude's goofy hoverboard thing.

I thoroughly enjoyed both Saren and the Illusive Man (more so in 2 than 3, though). Saren/Sovereign is probably my favorite villain outside Seymour in FFX. Loghain was alright, but once he joins your group, I tend not to think of him as a villain and more of an anti-hero.

The baddies all over Jade Empire were awesome because the game was fucking awesome.

I'm more of a fan of the battle theme of the final fight with him, but that Gagazet fight was awesome. Probably the toughest one, too.

Guys, the best villain in recent years is Skavak.

He stole your ship and stole Corso's gun!

But seriously, I can't think of any recent villain that I really wanted dead.

[quote name='GhostShark']I thoroughly enjoyed both Saren and the Illusive Man (more so in 2 than 3, though). Saren/Sovereign is probably my favorite villain outside Seymour in FFX. Loghain was alright, but once he joins your group, I tend not to think of him as a villain and more of an anti-hero.

The baddies all over Jade Empire were awesome because the game was fucking awesome.[/QUOTE]

I would've liked Seymour more if they didn't play him off to be a good guy when he was an such obvious villain,considering he has such ridiculous hair.

[quote name='themaster20000']I would've liked Seymour more if they didn't play him off to be a good guy when he was an such obvious villain,considering he has such ridiculous hair.[/QUOTE]
Not to mention that he featured so prominently in the game's promo materials and wasn't a party member...

[quote name='blueshinra']Not to mention that he featured so prominently in the game's promo materials and wasn't a party member...[/QUOTE]

Never payed attention to that stuff at all back then,so I went into the game blind.

I love FFX's soundtrack. I remember that fight at Mt. Gagazet being a complete bitch on my first playthrough.

I hated Seymour's hair. Crazy ass gel.

I wanted to respond with a video showing off the voice acting in Arc the Lad: Twilight of the Spirits, but apparently everyone on Youtube believes that all RPGs are perfect material for perfecting their 40-hour standup routine with a camcorder pointed at a TV screen.

leda-o.gif

*ahem* Changing the topic here...

Does anyone else have the problem of having an Atlus game be released, getting it and filing it into the backlog, only to see a new version release later on? This happened to me with Persona 3, Devil Survivor, and now Devil Survivor 2.

Fortunately, I tend to keep my backlogged games sealed until close to the time I intend to play them, so I've been able to sell off the old versions for pretty much what I paid for them (even after fees and whatnot). However, I'm not sure I'll be able to do the same with Devil Survivor 2, at least for right now, considering that what I paid for it is more than what it's going for at Amazon.

Atlus doesn't really do that anymore, though, do they? Sure, their reprints don't come with the first-run extras, but they're still the same games.

The password to the computer in the Statue of Liberty at the beginning of Deus Ex is "smashthestate". The password to the dwarves' treasure vault on the second floor of Ultima Underworld is "deco morono" (there's a golem protecting the vault, too). You can find your first piece of mythril in Shining Force 2 behind the Ancient Tower just before you fight the devils. Tai Ho wanted you to name your headquarters "Dragon Castle" in Suikoden. Hitting R1 twice in rapid succession in Breath of Fire 3 locks all your characters into auto-attacking for the remainder of the fight, with no way of cancelling it.

AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA

[quote name='kainzero']*youtube clip*

hmmm[/QUOTE]

Ok, that seals it. I'm never playing FFX again. Even the Japanese voices are annoying — not as bad, but bad enough. This is why I relish older RPGs that didn't rely on voice acting. I don't have to listen to annoying people exaggerating their lines in every scene.

Well, that and (in many cases) the dialogue is generally more verbose and interesting.

[quote name='blueshinra']*ahem* Changing the topic here...

Does anyone else have the problem of having an Atlus game be released, getting it and filing it into the backlog, only to see a new version release later on? This happened to me with Persona 3, Devil Survivor, and now Devil Survivor 2.

Fortunately, I tend to keep my backlogged games sealed until close to the time I intend to play them, so I've been able to sell off the old versions for pretty much what I paid for them (even after fees and whatnot). However, I'm not sure I'll be able to do the same with Devil Survivor 2, at least for right now, considering that what I paid for it is more than what it's going for at Amazon.[/QUOTE]

I did this too myself. I download Persona 3 FES on PS3. Played it, Loved it. Then I brought P3P on sale. Atlus takes all my moneys.

[quote name='ID2006']Ok, that seals it. I'm never playing FFX again. Even the Japanese voices are annoying — not as bad, but bad enough. This is why I relish older RPGs that didn't rely on voice acting. I don't have to listen to annoying people exaggerating their lines in every scene.

Well, that and (in many cases) the dialogue is generally more verbose and interesting.[/QUOTE]
i think the japanese voices are fine, but because of localization the nuances in japanese aren't there in english so that when you read the subtitles which are based on the english dub, it looks strange.

that's not to say the english version isn't good, just that it's different. i actually like ff 10.

laugh scene is still cheesy in any language though.

however i am in agreement in that i really like and prefer RPGs with no voice acting. it's probably why i read books, not listen to them.

[quote name='kainzero']however i am in agreement in that i really like and prefer RPGs with no voice acting. it's probably why i read books, not listen to them.[/QUOTE]
Hey, this reads like a perfect segue into talking about Project Eternity...

There are some JRPGs with good, even enjoyable, English voice acting. The Tales and Kingdom Hearts series are generally consistent in this regard, and the dubs in Disgaea, Phantom Brave, and Persona 3 are decent as well. Then there's those that... don't quite sound right. Besides FFX, Xenosaga Episode 1 and Makai Kingdom (the dub for which was so bad that I switched to Japanese voices) come to mind.

it's not that i think the voice acting in the game is bad or good but rather, you kinda get an image of how the hero speaks instead of having an image forced on you.

iirc the p3/p4 dubs were better than the japanese voices. especially p4.

[quote name='blueshinra']There are some JRPGs with good, even enjoyable, English voice acting. The Tales and Kingdom Hearts series are generally consistent in this regard, and the dubs in Disgaea, Phantom Brave, and Persona 3 are decent as well. Then there's those that... don't quite sound right. Besides FFX, Xenosaga Episode 1 and Makai Kingdom (the dub for which was so bad that I switched to Japanese voices) come to mind.[/QUOTE]

The only game I've played that comes close to FFX toxic voice acting levels is Baten Kaitos. Especially that guy with the red hair. I never did finish that game.

There are plenty of good ones, though, and Kingdom Hearts is a good example. But that game had a pretty impressive cast going for it.

[quote name='kainzero']it's not that i think the voice acting in the game is bad or good but rather, you kinda get an image of how the hero speaks instead of having an image forced on you.

iirc the p3/p4 dubs were better than the japanese voices. especially p4.[/QUOTE]
My problem with "Let's voice act everything ever!" is more a matter of time. RPGs are long god damn creatures with lots and lots of dialogue, and I flat out refuse to sit there and listen to every fucking Treebeard go on and on about whatever the fuck it is they have to say. So I turn subtitles on whenever possible and mash buttons to skip through most dialogue as fast as possible, which means I hear a lot of "Shepard, you s-" and "I think Shulk-" and the like. So immersive!

EDIT: It can also be limiting for developers. Want to change a line of dialogue? fuck you, we already did the VA for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
bread's done
Back