* * - - - 44 votes

Xbox One on the way. DRM removed, more details to come.

#3421 Corvin   ...of Gilead CAGiversary!   5203 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:50 AM

$100 isn't too big of a difference to me, but is a lot to others it seems

to me when you throw in that $100 AND the DRM It's big trouble for MS.

And forced Kinect, and daily check-ins.  DRM is just one broken cog in that messed up system.

#3422 simmias   Likely to be eaten by a grue CAGiversary!   4735 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:51 AM

I guess it depends on how much you value instant switching of games without inserting a disk.  the ability to play another game while waiting for match making is impossible without the diskless drm.

do you still want to insert game disc for every game you own forever?

LOL, are you serious?

Between you and the "Sony doesn't care about developers" guy we have some serious cognitive dissonance going on up in here.

#3423 Pylis   Cheap Ass Super-Ninja CAGiversary!   1387 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:52 AM

The online DRM absolutely kills it for me--and it really bums me out, having been a huge MS supporter over the past two generations.

If MS allows bypassing the 24-hour check-in by having physical media in the drive (or simply does away with online checks entirely) I'd be on board again, even at the higher price.  I actually preferred their show and the games they presented.  I'd love to see them backpedal, but I'm really not confident they will.  If not, I'll purchase a PS4 on day one, with the X1 coming way later--if at all.

As stupid as it is, though, I'm going to hate losing my Gamerscore...

#3424 francium34   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   84 Posts   Joined 7.9 Years Ago  

francium34

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:56 AM

Can't believe I;m saying this, but: maybe Microsoft should of featured kinect more in their presentation. $100 difference mainly comes there, and no real attraction to justify it.

Very valid point but I think you have to look at both presentation as a one the May and today's along with Sony's February conference and today's to truly see the full package and value.

I have preordered both and currently own both. I am more intrigued by X1 and will more than likely stay on that path.

The real decision will not come today but in the coming weeks when we learn more.

You can definitely tell that there truly wasn't a need for a new generation of gaming in 2013 when things are so similar between the two.

agreed.

MS is basically banking on 3 things: people really love TV integration; their online experience (digital games, "family-sharing", persistent servers) rocks, and kinect with some worthwhile games.

They definitely lost momentum among hardcore gamers, but maybe in a few years (maybe even earlier?) they aren't dead yet.

One thing I'm confused about, is if Sony isn't on board with the no-used-game thing, how are the publishers doing a deal with Microsoft? More exclusives?

#3425 simmias   Likely to be eaten by a grue CAGiversary!   4735 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 11 June 2013 - 03:58 AM

They're making Gamerscore meaningless next gen anyway, though.  A day-one achievement for preordering the console?  Achievements for buying a lot of games from the same publisher?  Achievements for watching TV?  Achievements for purchasing content?  Achievements were great... why fix what isn't broken?  They took a fragile ecosystem and disrupted it.  

#3426 cancerman1120   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   10744 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

cancerman1120

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:02 AM

So Microsoft HAS to eliminate their DRM and used game plans now right? I mean how can they have the more expensive system AND be more restrictive? SOME people will buy it but for a lot of people (like me) who were on the fence this is a no brainer right now.  

#3427 NinjaPenguin777   LEO CAGiversary!   5856 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

NinjaPenguin777

Can't believe I;m saying this, but: maybe Microsoft should of featured kinect more in their presentation. $100 difference mainly comes there, and no real attraction to justify it.

Very valid point but I think you have to look at both presentation as a one the May and today's along with Sony's February conference and today's to truly see the full package and value.

I have preordered both and currently own both. I am more intrigued by X1 and will more than likely stay on that path.

The real decision will not come today but in the coming weeks when we learn more.

You can definitely tell that there truly wasn't a need for a new generation of gaming in 2013 when things are so similar between the two.

agreed.

MS is basically banking on 3 things: people really love TV integration; their online experience (digital games, "family-sharing", persistent servers) rocks, and kinect with some worthwhile games.

They definitely lost momentum among hardcore gamers, but maybe in a few years (maybe even earlier?) they aren't dead yet.

One thing I'm confused about, is if Sony isn't on board with the no-used-game thing, how are the publishers doing a deal with Microsoft? More exclusives?

That would explain Microsoft getting the Battlefield content early. PS3 got Battlefield 3 content early, so would it surprise you if EA was one of the main companies pushing MS to do the DRM thing?

#3428 logicmeme   Robotic CAGiversary!   170 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Damn Sony killed it tonight. No online requirement, no trade or used game restrictions (as it freaking SHOULD be), $100 cheaper, and support for indie developers. Also possible streaming PS3 games through Gakai. Still no word on backwards compatibility but I'm guessing no (saddly), which is likely to push gakai service. Also suckes that PS+ now required for multiplayer but servers cost money on a recurrent basis and since PS+ gives so many benefits I can accept that.

I can't understand how any consumer can support MS in this - they have forsaken their user base and are essentially killing the video game console as we know it. Sure, some of the flashy social stuff is cool for a minute, but at what cost?!

#3429 Pylis   Cheap Ass Super-Ninja CAGiversary!   1387 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:05 AM

They're making Gamerscore meaningless next gen anyway, though.  A day-one achievement for preordering the console?  Achievements for buying a lot of games from the same publisher?  Achievements for watching TV?  Achievements for purchasing content?  Achievements were great... why fix what isn't broken?  They took a fragile ecosystem and disrupted it.  

I had heard there was a patent for the TV watching, but I wasn't aware it had been implemented.  This is also the first I've heard of achievements for making purchases (though I knew about the bonus "pre-order" achievement).  If this is all true, it really does kill the nice metagame they had going.

It does make switching to Sony's camp a little bit easier, though.

#3430 FloodyFloats   Cagtastic CAGiversary!   401 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

FloodyFloats

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:06 AM

Damn Sony killed it tonight. No online requirement, no trade or used game restrictions (as it freaking SHOULD be), $100 cheaper, and support for indie developers. Also possible streaming PS3 games through Gakai. Still no word on backwards compatibility but I'm guessing no (saddly), which is likely to push gakai service. Also suckes that PS+ now required for multiplayer but servers cost money on a recurrent basis and since PS+ gives so many benefits I can accept that.

I can't understand how any consumer can support MS in this - they have forsaken their user base and are essentially killing the video game console as we know it. Sure, some of the flashy social stuff is cool for a minute, but at what cost?!

pretty sure Sony said that it wouldn't be backwards compatible at the Sony event in Febuary.

#3431 Corvin   ...of Gilead CAGiversary!   5203 Posts   Joined 16.1 Years Ago  

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:09 AM

Not that achievements carried much weight before, but they're definitely jumping the shark with the Xbone.

#3432 lordopus99   Training for the silver CAGiversary!   5138 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

lordopus99

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:10 AM

That would explain Microsoft getting the Battlefield content early. PS3 got Battlefield 3 content early, so would it surprise you if EA was one of the main companies pushing MS to do the DRM thing?

I wonder how EA felt with Microsoft messing up their sound in their reveal. 

#3433 TimboSliceGB   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5989 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

TimboSliceGB

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:15 AM

i think im more angry at ms then anything tonight. MAN i love like 3 x1 only games and 2 for ps4 only but i just can't do it with 500 price point and the 24 hour thing. At least i got both pre orderd on amazon so i can rest easy and have until nov to decided. i just feel ms drop the ball with the price point mostly. i might just hold out and not buy any at launch seeing most of the games i want to play don't even come out at launch most are 2014 games.

#3434 KaneRobot   The Profit$ of Doom CAGiversary!   10542 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:15 AM

So Microsoft HAS to eliminate their DRM and used game plans now right? I mean how can they have the more expensive system AND be more restrictive? 

But they really can't, at least right now. A lot of the goodwill they've built up with EA/Ubisoft/whoever is due to their restrictive DRM. They can't suddenly go back and say "sorry, we're dumping that since people don't like it."

The funny part is, if this impacts sales to the point where the PS4 completely blows the XBox away, the publishers are going to favor the PS4 anyway, no matter what Microsoft does for DRM. They'll cater to wherever they will sell the most copies...so this DRM pandering may wind up being all for nothing.

-------------

It's funny, I jumped onboard with both the XBox and 360 because Sony's blind arrogance really turned me off at the time. Now they have switched roles and, if I buy a console, it'll be switching back to Sony for the same reason.

#3435 PenguinMaster   Sacrilicious CAGiversary!   3861 Posts   Joined 15.4 Years Ago  

PenguinMaster

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:18 AM

agreed.

Why does everyone assume it's the other publishers that are pushing Microsoft to do DRM? Microsoft is a strong supporter of DRM and has it in all of their other products (Windows, Microsoft Office, Games for Windows Live), why would other companies need to push them to put it in their console?

#3436 Ryuukishi   My ambitionz az a Ryder CAGiversary!   11263 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:18 AM

I love achievements and it would have been a big reason for me to stick with Microsoft over Sony for next gen, but you're right, it seems like they're basically changing the system into something unrecognizable anyway.

#3437 INMATEofARKHAM   Looking for my padded cell CAGiversary!   5702 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

INMATEofARKHAM

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:19 AM

I like how you skipped over the word you couldn't define. All these weeks you've been suckling at the teat of MS, knowing full well what was coming with the XBox One. Sony has their event, and you immediately jump on the bandwagon. Have some fucking dignity and admit you've been full of shit for the past month.

why im i a piece of shit because i refuse to pay 500 dollers for a system and need to be online every 24 hours? im sorry if i don't want to pay 500 bucks for syste 

What a fickle piece of shit you are.

i have been a xbox fan since xbox in 2001 my first next gen system is ps4 TimboSliceGB, on 10 Jun 2013 - 10:05 PM, said:

pitfallharry219, on 10 Jun 2013 - 10:07 PM, said:

TimboSliceGB, on 10 Jun 2013 - 10:09 PM, said:

pitfallharry219, on 10 Jun 2013 - 10:18 PM, said:

I think you're being rather nice to him...  Its been more than a month. :lol:

Anyhow, I honestly have no idea how I should feel...

Sony's press conferince was horriblely boring, I couldn't hear it very well because they didn't record the audio loud enough, where ever their live feed for their gameplay was coming from was a trainwreck (I honestly thought it was the streaming that was skipping but when they cut away to show the aaduaince/presentor they where still moving), only one exculsive that intrest me  (more on this in a moment), and a presenter...  Who, at the risk of sounding like a racist asshole (which I'm not, at least on the racist part) really shouldn't have been presenting when his english was that poor...  Maybe it was just the volume thing as MS had a number of non native english speakers and I had no trouble with them... but, yeah, anytime you have someone watching who's looking to see if gametrailers closed caption option would work you've done something seriously wrong.

All that said.. 

The price point was amazing...

The no DRM restrictions was outstanding.

So nothing amazing game wise that I can get only on their system (I did like the King Arthur meets Ripper Street meets demons vibe that The Order gave off) verus a console that looked like it had nothing but intresting exculsives...  And I'm looking more favorably at the one that showed me less...?

Strange times we live in, indeed...

#3438 NinjaPenguin777   LEO CAGiversary!   5856 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

NinjaPenguin777

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:20 AM

A way MS could save with the DRM thing that would work in my opinion is to have no drm is you have the disc. If you don't want to use the disc then you could have a check every 24 hours.  The used game thing? I don't think they can really change it at this point. As for the price of the Xbox 1, the only thing I can really see them doing is adding 6 months - 1 year of Xbox Live Gold with every console

agreed.

Why does everyone assume it's the other publishers that are pushing Microsoft to do DRM? Microsoft is a strong supporter of DRM and has it in all of their other products (Windows, Microsoft Office, Games for Windows Live), why would other companies need to push them to put it in their console?

As far as I am aware Microsoft has said that it was the publishers that wanted the used game restrictions and DRM. I could be wrong but I thought I remember them saying that

#3439 TimboSliceGB   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5989 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

TimboSliceGB

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:23 AM

agreed.

it's been knowing for years game publishers wanted part of the used game sales

this past gen i got a 360 first because of price looks like this time will be ps4 for that reason. yes it's only 100 dollers but that 100 dollers plus 20 more is two games at that would be the price of xbox one after tax. with ps4 i will spend around 530 for system and two games. With xbox one i would be spending 650-700 biggg diff. 

#3440 Dark Lord Greg   The Urban Legend CAGiversary!   1464 Posts   Joined 10.6 Years Ago  

Dark Lord Greg

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:27 AM

i think im more angry at ms then anything tonight. MAN i love like 3 x1 only games and non for ps4 only but i just can't do it with 500 price point and the 24 hour thing. At least i got both pre orderd on amazon so i can rest easy and have until nov to decided. i just feel ms drop the ball with the price point mostly. i might just hold out and not buy any at launch seeing most of the games i want to play don't even come out at launch most are 2014 games.

for me DRM doesn't matter my Xbox is online 24/7 either way the $100 more does hurt especially considering the PS4 has better/faster RAM but in the end the games are what make it easy for me. I like western style games so its a choice between games like Ryse, Quantum Break, Dead Rising 3 or Final Fantasy, Kingdom Hearts, Knack. 

#3441 INMATEofARKHAM   Looking for my padded cell CAGiversary!   5702 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

INMATEofARKHAM

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:33 AM

One thing I wonder... Has Sony's focus on the backend of this generation hurt their launch/year one lineup for next gen?

#3442 tokyostomp  

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:33 AM

damn. So Sony wins hand down

#3443 TimboSliceGB   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5989 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

TimboSliceGB

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:39 AM

damn. So Sony wins hand down

hey how you enjoy ms press conf. i would have love to been at conf but happy to play some of these ms and sony games tommow can not wait jsut in my hotel been here all day watching this stuff

One thing I wonder... Has Sony's focus on the backend of this generation hurt their launch/year one lineup for next gen?

that's the thing i was wondering i don't really want any of the 1st party launch titles for ps4 i really don't now with x1 i really want 3 of those exlusive games but the 24 hour thing and 500 bucks is pushing it for me to get x1 at launch

who knows maybe once i play some of the sony games on floor this week i will get hooked and same thing could be said for ms games i could decided to pay 500 bucks if i like them enough can't wait for tom.

#3444 Pliskin   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3300 Posts   Joined 9.6 Years Ago  

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:45 AM

So Microsoft HAS to eliminate their DRM and used game plans now right? I mean how can they have the more expensive system AND be more restrictive? SOME people will buy it but for a lot of people (like me) who were on the fence this is a no brainer right now.  

Not sure if they can at this point, maybe they can make it less restrictive? I was talking to one of my friends the other day who is a huge xbox guy and he kept going on and on about how there's no way in hell xbox is doing the whole DRM thing and not Sony, and I agreed. I just hoped Sony would be the lesser of two evils. I was very shocked with what they anncouce tonight and can't understand why MS would go that route when Sony is not.

#3445 logicmeme   Robotic CAGiversary!   170 Posts   Joined 10.5 Years Ago  

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:46 AM

One thing I haven't seen discussed much is the required kinect connection just to use the XBONE. I mean the fact that kinect is required for your console to work is BS by itself, but what about the privacy implications? With all we've learned this week alone about the NSA having carte blanche ability to spy on every online account we have without a specific (personalized) warrant, you would honestly have to be nuts to give microsoft (a company handing over user data to the NSA/government) a camera in your home! Not to mention the lack of protections you have against MS using whatever they record (unkown to you) for whatever purposes they see fit!

#3446 TimboSliceGB   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5989 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

TimboSliceGB

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:52 AM

Not sure if they can at this point, maybe they can make it less restrictive? I was talking to one of my friends the other day who is a huge xbox guy and he kept going on and on about how there's no way in hell xbox is doing the whole DRM thing and not Sony, and I agreed. I just hoped Sony would be the lesser of two evils. I was very shocked with what they anncouce tonight and can't understand why MS would go that route when Sony is not.

maybe sony seen the backlash and made a 360 

One thing I haven't seen discussed much is the required kinect connection just to use the XBONE. I mean the fact that kinect is required for your console to work is BS by itself, but what about the privacy implications? With all we've learned this week alone about the NSA having carte blanche ability to spy on every online account we have without a specific (personalized) warrant, you would honestly have to be nuts to give microsoft (a company handing over user data to the NSA/government) a camera in your home! Not to mention the lack of protections you have against MS using whatever they record (unkown to you) for whatever purposes they see fit!

you cna turn kinect off and even unhook it when system is not in use. But most people have cams connected to their computer these days whats not to say thsoe things are not used to spy on you .

#3447 keithp   Older than you CAGiversary!   5602 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:53 AM

So Sony 1

MS and Timbo 0.

#3448 Mippo   One and Only CAGiversary!   195 Posts   Joined 7.2 Years Ago  

Posted 11 June 2013 - 04:56 AM

Microsoft failed miserably.  This competition is over, why would anyone buy an Xbox One?  Ridiculous DRM associated with the Xbox One and it's being sold $100 more for the privilege of being screwed over by Publishers?  You'd have to be an idiot to buy an Xbox One, or just very wealthy.

#3449 tokyostomp  

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:00 AM

Hey guys here some clarification on how to share games on PS4. I know the Whole Xbox thing was a bit confusing. This is how PS4 is handling the issue. I hope you can grasp the concept....

#3450 keithp   Older than you CAGiversary!   5602 Posts   Joined 16.0 Years Ago  

Posted 11 June 2013 - 05:04 AM

Hey guys here some clarification on how to share games on PS4. I know the Whole Xbox thing was a bit confusing. This is how PS4 is handling the issue. I hope you can grasp the concept....

Thanks, because Timbo was sure it was going to be the same as the XBone. That should clear it up for him.