CAGcast #329: This Is Your Next Podcast

CheapyD

Head Cheap Ass
Staff member
Feedback
14 (100%)
The gang talks Saints Row IV, Magrunner: Dark Pulse, Don Mattrick's exit, Edge magazine and oh so much more.
cagcastgreen144.jpg

Download (1 hour 18 minutes) - iTunes -

http://traffic.libsyn.com/cheapyd/cagcast329.mp3
[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/cheapyd/cagcast-329-this-is-your-next[/soundcloud]

Get a $2.49 GoDaddy domain registration with code CAG249
32% off for all customers with code 32off1
$4 .com registration with 1 year privacy with code FREE9

Show Linkage/Notes:

Intro/Outro: Jessica/Major Lazer - The Onion

5:00 Yoga update
6:15 Show Feedback
6:15 - Kinect/Headphones/audio processing
10:00 - Creepy ads on the 360 dash
13:30 - Cheapy's Xbox article
16:00 Edge magazine
18:45 XB1 Japan release
22:45 Watch This
22:45 - Raiders of the Lost Ark bluray
25:30 - Reincarnated
27:15 New Releases
27:15 - Tour de France, Vita Farming sim, Castlestorm
28:30 - Trackmania 2, Hard Driving
35:15 Saints Row IV
40:30 Mag Runner Dark Pulse
45:15 Call of Juarez Gunslinger
49:15 Halo 4
52:30 Animal Crossing
55:30 Don Mattrick to Zynga
1:00:00 Conan the Barbarian's E3 video
1:03:00 Cagbag
1:03:15 - XB1 used game/drm
1:05:00 XBL and PSN Sales, and XBL free/discounted games
Full CAGcast Catalog
Follow us on Twitter
Twitch.tv
Cheap Ass Gamer on Facebook
CheapyD's Youtube Videos (Subscribe)
CheapyD's Flickr Page (Subscribe)

Please submit your show questions via CAGbag or Twitter.

I guess you can listen to Wombat's other podcast, Uninformed Opinions.

Last edited by a moderator:
I really liked Wombat's initial impressions from Halo 4. But I do disagree with him on it missing the development part of the game. To me, keeping Halo the same for the most part is what gets me to come back again and again. I just don't think it would feel like Halo if I can't overcharge a plasma pistol and then headshot an Elite or shoot the hand of a Jackal in order for it to move its shield. Tomb Raider was a very good game, but the entire time I was wondering which weapon was the best to upgrade or which perk would actually be helpful to my play style. Halo does this to some extent by letting you choose your load out with armor ability at certain sections, but the enemies in Halo are what dictate the weapon choice, and if the rocket launcher suddenly becomes not as effective to kill a hunter because I have been using the BR the whole game, it just wouldn't feel right. Maybe they could work development in some way, but the current way the game is where enemies just get more difficult and skill is the only thing that will get you through, is what makes Halo feel right to me.

Other than that, really glad to hear Saints Row IV is shaping up to be great. I remember getting the original with Dead Rising at the first possible TRU B2G1 sale, and SR1 was definitely the more played game. It's descent into goofiness has only led to it being more fun, and with no more Radical to make Prototype, I am definitely looking forward to see how the super powers change everything.

Also, in for Doodle Jump Kinect-- been playing my Kinect more lately and Doodle Jump would be great if it's anywhere near as addicting as its mobile counterpart.

Wombat and Shipwreck! Once you two get Dream Suite built in your Animal Crossing towns, you should give out your Dream Suite address codes (different from friend codes) so that us listeners can check out your towns & houses. 

Also, when you guys talked about new releases, you didn't mention The Walking Dead 400 Days. It came up by surprise, but I hope you guys get to play it before next week's show.

What? Shipwreck comparing Call of Juarez to Bulletstorm?!?! Now I'm intrigued to play it despite hating Bound in Blood. Now I may get it when it's on sale.

And agreed on feeling bad for Major Nelson outside of Don Mattrick, he literally was the only face for XBox One and he was the one who immediately had to stomp out fires or do damage control at X1 as best he could because there literally was no other PR person. I Mean it's already been filled to the brim with negativity before the X1 announcement, but after that May press conference...Jesus.

Also totally down for Doodlejump on Kinect.

It seems like every podcast since e3 has started out with them complaining about people who complain.  If they want to talk shit about edge magazine, then that's a story.  but just random people on the internet, they got to get over that.

As for edge, I took a look at the cover after the show and it doesn't appear that they are saying who is the winner, just what is the best option for "right now."

I can't believe Wombat never left NA. You should totally take a trip to Asia.

Also, I'm in for Doodle Jump.

I would like a Doodle Jump code please:

I have a question for cheapy: What is the reasoning behind allowing your son to watch violent movies like Raiders of the Lost Arc and Video Games like Injustice at such a young age (5)? I am not a prude, and i do not think these movies/games have an extreme impact on kids, but I am questioning "why the rush?". Why does your son need to see Raider of the Lost Arc now and not when he's 8 or so?

As a father of two, my take has always been. . . let them be kids and watch kid's stuff while they're young. They have a whole lifetime to watch punchy-shooty movies/video games.

I too remember my dad making me turn around during the face melting scene in Raiders.

The download link for the show isn't working at the moment. Great show again.

I would love a code for Doodle Jump and I'm In for Ninjas!

#In for Doodle Jump

Totally agree with the unnecessary ad for the State of Emergency on my Xbox, kids got scared. Totally should never have happened. More control over the contents of MY Xbox please!!

Wombat should travel abroad at some point. Might I recommend Sweden. Everyone is really nice, they all speak English, and everyone is beautiful.

I'm really excited for SRIV. I'm playing through The Third right now and looking forward to the superpowers!

In for ninjas!

In for Doodle Jump!

Wombat,

Thanks for bringing up the topic of not appropriate for kids pictures on the xbox dash.

Just so you know, when I put the thing about Major Nelson, I was referencing the post immediately above mine in that thread, here it is:

"Hey Microsoft's Larry Hyrb since you're up on CAG, read my post here and tweet this- 

$499 Xbox One + $40 headset - $140 Kinect 2.0 = $399 = Pre-order #satisfiedcustomer"

You can use OpenDNS to block the Xbox dashboard ads. I posted about it before when you mentioned the ads lagging your Xbox.

Don't get angry with a magazine trying to sell some copies there all gonig banktrupt, its the same kinda thing newspapers do.

In for ninjas :p

As a new dad & husband to a woman who doesn't care to listen to me talk to people she's never met before, I'm completely with Wombat on this headset debate. It sounds stupid, but the headset was the reason I bought all of my multi-platform games on the 360... because I became a part of a community on the 360. On PS3 I can see random people on my friends list's tropihes (after syncing) but it means nothing since no one has a mic to talk to. It just doesn't work out well & I foresee a huge drop off in the community feeling of the One if it continues down this "no headset included w/ system" path.

As for Saints Row 4... as soon as I heard they were implementing super powers I immediately hoped for something like Crackdown. Next week (if you guys can talk about it) can you detail what kind of super powers you have?  Can you fly? Pick up cars? Super jump? Anything else? If they can combine the humor/story/extras of Saints Row w/ the gameplay of Crackdown... GOTY for the next 3 years...

Lastly, you guys were comparing PS+ to Xbox Lives Games for Gold promotion. You have to remember that while PS+ smokes the Xbox promotion that you get to keep your Xbox Live games from this promotion FOREVER. You only get the keep the PS+ games while you are a PS+ subscriber. Thats a pretty big difference to note... Then again, with the crap they are offering, I won't even bother wasting my HDD space on the Xbox games.

I am in for Doodle Jump

As a new dad & husband to a woman who doesn't care to listen to me talk to people she's never met before, I'm completely with Wombat on this headset debate. It sounds stupid, but the headset was the reason I bought all of my multi-platform games on the 360... because I became a part of a community on the 360. On PS3 I can see random people on my friends list's tropihes (after syncing) but it means nothing since no one has a mic to talk to. It just doesn't work out well & I foresee a huge drop off in the community feeling of the One if it continues down this "no headset included w/ system" path.

As for Saints Row 4... as soon as I heard they were implementing super powers I immediately hoped for something like Crackdown. Next week (if you guys can talk about it) can you detail what kind of super powers you have? Can you fly? Pick up cars? Super jump? Anything else? If they can combine the humor/story/extras of Saints Row w/ the gameplay of Crackdown... GOTY for the next 3 years...

Lastly, you guys were comparing PS+ to Xbox Lives Games for Gold promotion. You have to remember that while PS+ smokes the Xbox promotion that you get to keep your Xbox Live games from this promotion FOREVER. You only get the keep the PS+ games while you are a PS+ subscriber. Thats a pretty big difference to note... Then again, with the crap they are offering, I won't even bother wasting my HDD space on the Xbox games.

I am in for Doodle Jump
Shipwreck mentioned the PS+ to XBL difference

Show 329 Notes:

5:00 Yoga update
6:15 Show Feedback
6:15 - Kinect/Headphones/audio processing
10:00 - Creepy ads on the 360 dash
13:30 - Cheapy's Xbox article
16:00 Edge magazine
18:45 XB1 Japan release
22:45 Watch This
22:45 - Raiders of the Lost Ark bluray
25:30 - Reincarnated
27:15 New Releases
27:15 - Tour de France, Vita Farming sim, Castlestorm
28:30 - Trackmania 2, Hard Driving
35:15 Saints Row IV
40:30 Mag Runner Dark Pulse
45:15 Call of Juarez Gunslinger
49:15 Halo 4
52:30 Animal Crossing
55:30 Don Mattrick to Zynga
1:00:00 Conan the Barbarian's E3 video
1:03:00 Cagbag
1:03:15 - XB1 used game/drm
1:05:00 XBL and PSN Sales, and XBL free/discounted games

Also considering you have to have Xbox Gold to do multiplayer, most people would probably still keep Gold even if they stopped doing free games. Now that multiplayer is behind the pay wall for PS4 perhaps they may let us keep our free games for PS4 without a PS+ subscription.

I would say the main reason they are offering such great sale prices now is we are near the end of the console's shelf life and they want to extract as much money as possible before the launch window of the new system. Also another reason is none of this stuff will transfer over to the new system, so like shipwreck said, a lot of people will probably buy it because it is cheap, and then might never play it. Also since it doesn't transfer over, it won't be competing for play time on the new system, if you want to play the new system you have to buy a new game. Having sales such as this right out of the gate will only quicken the race-to-the-bottom of software prices that inevitably happens the longer the console shelf life. It's the same thing which happened with Blu-rays, there was a time when $20 for a movie on sale awhile after release was a great deal, now they have trouble getting people to bite on some $5 older movies.

Microsoft has the money to match them on free games, but right now they probably feel like they don't have to, they were so far ahead of Sony for so long, especially in North America. The Hare starts the race far ahead so it becomes lazy and complacent because it figures it is unbeatable. It is only after the Tortoise greatly overtakes the Hare through steady hard work and the Hare's complacency that it panics and gives its all in an effort to catch up. Microsoft almost let it get to that point by waiting 2 weeks after E3 to One-80 on the DRM.

Wombat,

Thanks for bringing up the topic of not appropriate for kids pictures on the xbox dash.

Just so you know, when I put the thing about Major Nelson, I was referencing the post immediately above mine in that thread, here it is:

"Hey Microsoft's Larry Hyrb since you're up on CAG, read my post here and tweet this- $499 Xbox One + $40 headset - $140 Kinect 2.0 = $399 = Pre-order #satisfiedcustomer"
Just so you know, when I put the thing about Larry Hyrb, I was referencing the post where Cheapy D is gushing that he got a gold star sticker from Larry Hyrb for reading and retweeting Cheapy's blog "I Ain't Mad About The Xbox One, Bro"

Boy, if newspapers refused to endorse a president on the grounds of, "we don't know what he will do as president," what a world that would be.

Edge looked at what we know now and is predicting success for the PS4 and not the Xbone. If you disagree, that's fine. But can you really say they don't have enough evidence to make a prediction?

I prefer the soundcloud player thing over the other one, as it lets me go to particular times in the show. I keep hearing good things about Call of Juarez Gunslinger, however I'm a cheap ass when it comes to everything, so I won't be getting it at full price. As you said, Mattrick leaving Microsoft is probably not something that came about suddenly. Yet, when I heard about him leaving I felt it was akin to the captain of a ship crashing into an iceberg, resulting in a major leak, and deciding to jump ship before all the bulkheads are closed. In other words, there was a big goof, efforts were made to control the damage, and leaving instead of sticking around to find out if the efforts worked.

In for ninjas!

Wombat, thanks for pointing out the Xbox Ad issue.  I hadn't noticed it before since I don't have kids in the house, but sure enough there it is on the main page.  I do hope they fix this for people with kids or just don't want to see images like that.

I'm not sure Microsoft is trying to compete with Sony's current PS+ plan. I think MS is just trying to show its current subscribers that they plan on offering free and discounted games in hopes that people will continue their brand loyalty and buy the Xbox One. I agree with Wombat that putting a tower defense game up at the same time as Sony is offering Battlefield 3 doesn't look great on paper, but I'm sure MS doesn't see a reason to offer something better than what Sony is offering considering the number of subscribers to Xbox Live compared to PS+. I feel like most of the people that have Xbox Live are paying for it because of stuff like online gaming and Netflix and probably could care less what games are free. It's all gravy to them. 

Shipwreck needs to check out the trailers for that new Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles since the art style is hideous. They managed to make the turtles very creepy by making them look more realistic than they should be.

My Animal Crossing must be a lot different than Wombat's version. I get attacked by bees and scorpions and my neighbors can be a bunch of assholes that beg me to catch fish for them, losing their crap all over the place, and not putting any money into the public works projects that I've been spearheading.

I'm pretty sure that Major Nelson was in on the jokes Conan would do for his video.

Technically, the first game for the Games with Gold was Fable III that became free during E3, though Microsoft didn't really get the message out there about that. I recall seeing the reception to do that was that it might be a glitch, like a prior thing that happened a while ago that gave out that same game for free.

Sony basically pays the developer/publisher an agreed amount of money per download of the PS+ games, which also comes with the promotional benefits of PS+ users getting to play the game and telling their friends about this awesome game that they should get or refer them to subscribe to PS+. Publishers have also been using it as a way to get people into their IPs leading up to the next big title (BF3>BF4, Saints Row The Third>Saints Row IV, Borderlands> Borderlands 2, XCOM: Enemy Unknown>The Bureau: XCOM, etc.) along with putting DLC on sale to get more direct money from PS+ people, so there's not much downside for them to do it.

In comparison, I'm not sure what the end result of Games with Gold is. They're not exactly picking the sort of games that promote upcoming releases nor are they offering hidden gems that people should be playing. It seems more like a move to try to convince people that they can get some actual content for their subscription money, which we've only gotten a few small XBLA games up to this point and those may not have even been Gold exclusives. As a Gold member for going on six years now, I can't say that I've gotten a ton of value out of the money. I'm not a big multiplayer games and I don't partake in the Gold exclusive deals often because I'm limited to a 250 GB hard drive that is full, so this is at least a decent first attempt to try to inject some tangible value into the service.

I too feel for Major Nelson.  Trixie recently posted on an article how Major Nelson was once the more formal face with herself and the gamerscore blog as differing approches to the community and now he is the only one left to face all the criticisims.  I really hope Greenberg gets it or the get someone who understands gaming and gamers like Peter Moore or J Allard. 

I'm in for Doodle Jump

Not into the short format, didn't last through my AM walk today!

Shipwreck seemed quiet this week as well.

In for Doodle Jump! Would very much enjoy!

Good show guys.  I thought the exact same thing when I saw the zombie movie ad on the Dashboard.  I had to do the ol' "hey a pink elephant!" trick to get my son to divert his attention elsewhere.  I have the same issue with On Demand where they run commercials for Expendables 2 or Half-Naked Reality Show while I'm trying to navigate to Nick Jr > Team Umi Zoomi.I wonder if they will add an option in the future so you can set the rating level for ads for people with kids in the house.  

Also, I'd be down for Doodle Jump or the TMNT gamerpics.  Yes, I still use those!

The Cagcast is like a cajun restaurant.  I'm not going to get Cajun flavor at Pizza Hut, or at an Italian bistro.  In the same way I won't get Cagcast flavor at Giant bomb or Game informer.  While the info you guys provide is great, it is the flavor of the Cagcast that makes it special.  I think you could improve the show by spicing up is flavor.  Thus, my idea is that you guys should randomly invite one of your wives to join you on the Cagcast once in a while.  What do you think.  

Just so you notice this post:  BOOBIES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

While Major Nelson didn't come off as an idiot with Conan, he didn't really come off all that well. I don't think he really grasped Conan's knowledge of games let alone interest in the specs. I think he looked worse than Martinet, because when you look at Conan talking with Martinet, he laughing. He knows Conan's a comedian, where Major Nelson kind of acted like everything it was a serious interview and from the look his response seems to support that.

http://www.nowgamer.com/news/1981867/major_nelson_responds_to_conan_obriens_e3_video.html

Great episode this week.

I know I've given you a tough time both here and on Facebook for the way you were defending MS during the whole DRM thing, but no magazine is gonna tell me what my next console is. That's absolute bull and very unprofessional for a gaming mag that usually gets high praise.

I love your idea about showing your child some behind the scenes footage before watching a movie with scary scenes. It lets them know ahead of time that it's all make believe and fake. You should send that tip into a parenting magazine.

Good to know that Cheapy and Shipwreck ignored all the worthwhile and logical responses to his Xbox 1 piece in favor of just whining about how some of them were mean.

And then it was time to get all defensive about Edge magazine daring to have an opinion based on all the information already out there about the new consoles. Edge is a UK magazine, and the Xbone is going to be incredibly expensive there, and not have nearly as much TV support as it does in the US. Outside of the American bubble, Microsoft is not offering a particularly good deal.

Good to know that Cheapy and Shipwreck ignored all the worthwhile and logical responses to his Xbox 1 piece in favor of just whining about how some of them were mean.
And then it was time to get all defensive about Edge magazine daring to have an opinion based on all the information already out there about the new consoles. Edge is a UK magazine, and the Xbone is going to be incredibly expensive there, and not have nearly as much TV support as it does in the US. Outside of the American bubble, Microsoft is not offering a particularly good deal.
BAM! NUFF Said!

Wombat brings up an intersting point about the image on the dashboard. I do wonder if you had a child's account either signed in or tied to your account if you would get the same image. 

Wombat, quick show your daughter the dash, another great picture is up to scare her again.  I really wish they would figure this out.

Wombat brings up an intersting point about the image on the dashboard. I do wonder if you had a child's account either signed in or tied to your account if you would get the same image.
I will check with my daughter's account and let you know.

bread's done
Back