* * * * * 14 votes

Best Buy $10 Reward Certificates Pre-order Promotion (Read the OP before posting your question)

Poll: Best Buy $10 Reward Certificates Pre-order Promotion (1656 member(s) have cast votes)

What games are you planning to pre-order?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote

#4411 Enuf   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8191 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 12 October 2014 - 11:50 PM

wish I had a friend making a big purchase soon. I am only at 1600, theres no way im making it back to elite plus this year :/

Just buy 9 fully loaded VGC`s between now and yrs ends that`ll leave you about $47 short of $350. Use the cards to pay for your holiday shopping outside of BB & your normal monthly bills/expenses that can be paid via credit or debit card. If you spend $200/month at the supermarket that`s basically $600(3 cards) from now till Jan. Cell phone/cable bills can be another card or 2.
You`ll spend $53.xx in fees but earn $45 back in mybb certs so $8.xx in fees is what it`ll cost you to keep elite plus.

My $30 GCU expiring soon so rather not paying $120 for it now

How?

tearsintherain only two good Best Buy tricks right now are getting GCU
​What GCU trick?

How is your $30 expiring wasn`t it a 2 yr re-up?

#4412 Fearia   I'a Cthulhu! CAGiversary!   1289 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 01:13 AM

Just buy 9 fully loaded VGC`s...
I love the assumption that people have that kind of disposable income.

#4413 reaperztoll   Banned Banned   3366 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

reaperztoll

Posted 13 October 2014 - 01:28 AM

I'm going to be brutally honest here, if you can't float a grand or two from one form of payment to another then you do not have the money to be worrying about elite status or buying video games or much of anything. You either better be a teenager or you better be looking for a much better paying job.

I was there about 6 years ago after the bottom fell out for me and I had to start over but the last thing in the world I was doing was buying anything.

#4414 Fearia   I'a Cthulhu! CAGiversary!   1289 Posts   Joined 13.1 Years Ago  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 01:46 AM

I'm going to be brutally honest here, if you can't float a grand or two from one form of payment to another then you do not have the money to be worrying about elite status or buying video games or much of anything. You either better be a teenager or you better be looking for a much better paying job.

I was there about 6 years ago after the bottom fell out for me and I had to start over but the last thing in the world I was doing was buying anything.

Right, because not being able to float 2 grand+ around for months at a time means you can't afford gaming at a site called CHEAP ass gamer...

#4415 cosx23  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 02:24 AM

sorry bad phrasing I just meant GCU giving 20% off is the best deal on new games.  The only way to get a cheap GCU membership right now is to buy one of the free 2 year membership coupons they mailed out to people who bought a new ps4/console a few weeks ago.

I'm sure there will be another GCU deal between  now and black friday though

Where would I find one those free 2 year membership coupons?

#4416 ghost1914  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 03:11 AM

Didn't realize all these cheap people on here and flippers were sitting on 1-2k and can just spend it willy nilly.

#4417 Bleedingwickedly   CAG CAGiversary!   2754 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Bleedingwickedly

Posted 13 October 2014 - 03:21 AM

Didn't realize all these cheap people on here and flippers were sitting on 1-2k and can just spend it willy nilly.

Your not "spending" the money at all. What he is saying is, goto best buy when you get a pay check. Put some money on prepaid Visa cards. Say your phone bill is $160, get one for $160. Then use that card to pay your phone bill. Two things happen with this, your bill gets paid and you get a purchase towards your membership at BB. I don't personally do this myself, but this is a pretty good idea.

#4418 Enuf   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8191 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 05:08 AM

One of the reasons/ways to get thousands in play money is to follow some of my advice. It`s not a hard concept just convert your cash/cc to VGC and pay your normal bills via the VGC. If you`re already elite plus then you pay $0.95 per $200 card b/c you earn $5 back in BB certs.
Just 1 card per month is $2471.xx/$3500 towards elite plus and there`s tons of basic bills.

Groceries - $200-$400/month
Cell phone bill - $50 - $130/month
Cable bill - $60- $180/month
Car insurance - $150 - $300/month(via insurance broker)
Wifi/internet bill - $50 - $100/month
How much "real" money are u spending at
1-Walmart
2-Target
3- Fry`s
4- Amazon
5- Newegg
... pay using the VGC vs cash/credit/debit
It only takes $300/month or 2 cards to get the full $3500 but if you`re already trading/purchasing at BB u just need to cover the remaining gap. There`s ~2 1/3 months left this yr and xmas is coming do your shopping pay via VGC.

#4419 Mako1215   Mr.OneOfWonder Banned   7273 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 05:10 AM

If there was a way to do that without losing money then I'm sure more people world.

#4420 Enuf   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8191 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 05:16 AM

Your not "spending" the money at all. What he is saying is, goto best buy when you get a pay check. Put some money on prepaid Visa cards. Say your phone bill is $160, get one for $160. Then use that card to pay your phone bill. Two things happen with this, your bill gets paid and you get a purchase towards your membership at BB. I don't personally do this myself, but this is a pretty good idea.

Since the $5.95 fee is the same whether you load $20 or $200 try to always max the card, if a person loaded $20 that would be like paying a $5.95 atm fee and you`re not earning enough pts per card to fully overcome the fees.

But if a person only needed a set amount to reach elite plus with only a little time left this is the easiest way.

#4421 Enuf   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8191 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 05:38 AM

If there was a way to do that without losing money then I'm sure more people world.

What do u mean "if" anyone who`s already elite plus does the full $3500 an only lose $16.15 max($0.95 per card). If they use just one VGC & buy a $200 walmart VGC($4.95 fee) then spend that only on games at BB the earn 1000 base MyBB pts or $20. Add in the 25% elite plus pts they profit. If you`re losing money u missed a step or are doing something wrong.

Surprised that there` so much debate in princple after the Jan promo lots of CAG`s got 5-17 cards & wished the promo lasted longer than 2 days.
http://www.cheapassg...3ds-xl-systems/

The next time it comes around I think alot of ppl will be enjoying free stuff, using the Jan pts on the destiny week console deal means GCU + a console was completely free.
http://www.forums.be...ce-view=desktop

#4422 baengel98   DIC CAGiversary!   2105 Posts   Joined 7.9 Years Ago  

baengel98

Posted 13 October 2014 - 05:45 AM

Can you buy visa gift cards with a best buy MasterCard?

#4423 Enuf   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8191 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 05:53 AM

Can you buy visa gift cards with a best buy MasterCard?

Of course, not sure if the points add up like they did in Jan though.

Can`t paypal/paypal mastercard be loaded via "debit card" and since alot of ppl consider that "cash" it would be a better option than amex bluebird.

#4424 PogueSquadron   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   25 Posts   Joined 9.9 Years Ago  

PogueSquadron

Posted 13 October 2014 - 06:17 AM

So you're saying that theoretically I could:

1.) Use my Amex Blue Cash Preferred Card to get $200 in Best Buy GC's at my local grocery store (which I think gets me 6% cash back unless they exclude gift card purchases). 6% of $200 would be $12.

2,) Use those BB gift cards to get a Visa Gift Card at Best Buy. The gift card fee is something like $6, so now I'm looking at a net gain of $6. This would be 200 points (unless it's some other promotion) which is 50 points away from a $5 gift certificate. I think it generally equates to something like $4 in rewards (though you can only redeem at 250 points).

3.) Use the Visa prepaid gift cards to pay off various things like bills and other expected expenses every month. The $6 fee should theoretically be covered by my Amex card at the grocery store, plus the benefit of netting some Best Buy points. At the end of the day I'd be up $6 from the Amex card, and up 200 points at Best Buy.

Is that the jist or am I missing something? Is there a catch? I'm reading that people exploit the hell out of this essentially, with no penalty. It sounds fishy though. Couldn't Amex or Best Buy cut you off for trying to game the system?

#4425 tearsintherain  

tearsintherain

Posted 13 October 2014 - 06:45 AM

the concept is called manufactured spending and imo it belongs in other forums, there are entire forums (flyertalk.com) dedicated to it.  but yes that does work, although many/most grocery stores will not let  you buy BB/any gift cards with a credit card - cash only.  Some cards like Citibank's do not give extra points for buying gift cards.  

You could instead just buy the VGC at best buy with a credit card, not sure why you are buying a BB gift card and adding another step, the only reason would be if your grocery store gives you extra bonuses for buying gift cards.  

I know guys who have spent $1m or more a year doing that, cycling through $100k+ a month on multiple credit cards to buy Vanilla, Greendot, etc credit cards, buying money orders with the GCs, and depositing the money orders back into their bank (to pay off the CCs).  Doing the VGC cycle at Best Buy to earn elite+ points is pretty small potatoes.  Most of these schemes are hard to pull off as credit card companies, grocery stores, Walmart, etc all have caught on and will step in to stop you.  You can't load a gift card onto paypal for example.  Amazon Payments shut down this week.

If you are a frequent flier using a airline credit card to buy gift cards is a pretty good deal, get yourself some free miles.

Note: if you are an unorganized slob I would not do this.  Losing a gift card that has $200 or $500 or $2000 on it will erase any possible savings you have made.  You really need to be extremely organized, efficient, and good at handling money matters in your head.

#4426 jrr6415sun   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3055 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

jrr6415sun

Posted 13 October 2014 - 06:58 AM

so if someone can't afford $1k-$2k then they shouldn't be buying a $40 video game? yea that make no sense

#4427 jrr6415sun   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3055 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

jrr6415sun

Posted 13 October 2014 - 07:03 AM

One of the reasons/ways to get thousands in play money is to follow some of my advice. It`s not a hard concept just convert your cash/cc to VGC and pay your normal bills via the VGC. If you`re already elite plus then you pay $0.95 per $200 card b/c you earn $5 back in BB certs.

you don't get bonus BB points on gift cards $250 GC = 250 points no matter what status you are.

#4428 Enuf   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8191 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 07:11 AM

Won`t work you don`t earn any pts at BB buying a VGC w/BB gc.

You would need to use your Amex to buy the BB VGC
17 cards cost $3501.15, of that $101.15 is fees
You earn $70 back in MyBB certs on the $3501.xx so $101.15- $70 is $35.15. That would be the true cost to get elite plus if you`re not already elite plus. If you have elite plus that adds $15 more in certs so $85 & the true cost drops to $20.15.

Amex won`t give 2 *ucks they`re hoping to score interest of that $3500 hoping you do min payments or overextend yourself.
In general VGC`s are huge profit items the fees are goldmines. Also, keep in mind transaction fees(for each swipe or use) of the VGC that money goes somewhere too. Customers rarely see the fees on what`s purchased using any card(debit/credit) vendors build it into the cost of the items sold or service provided. BB probably sees a chunk of that too. $5.95 up front then 3%-8% the $200 too they love the cards.

They may not like giving 3x or 5x pts on them but they`ll enjoy it very much if ppl converted non BB spending to VG.

#4429 htz  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 07:17 AM

You guys need to take this to the shopping discussion forum. This has nothing to do with the preorder promo.

#4430 Enuf   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8191 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 07:21 AM

you don't get bonus BB points on gift cards $250 GC = 250 points no matter what status you are.

VGC= visa gift cards not bestbuy giftcards

I don`t really understand the "loss of cards" mine stay in home safe or my wallet. If one loses or has their wallet stolen that often then wouldn`t even credit/debit card be at risk daily. Think BB`s trade in process is slow try getting your license/ID at the DMV but then again if you`re their all the time I guess you`d be a pro.

I keep 1-2 $200 "just in case" cards & 2 $500 "splurge" cards at least if Iose my wallet I can attempt to call and protect the funds if it`s cash you`re done and no way to track it.

#4431 alextastic   keepin' it real. CAGiversary!   1095 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

alextastic

Posted 13 October 2014 - 07:22 AM

You guys need to take this to the shopping discussion forum. This has nothing to do with the preorder promo.

Yes.

#4432 jrr6415sun   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3055 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

jrr6415sun

Posted 13 October 2014 - 07:28 AM

VGC= visa gift cards not bestbuy giftcards

you get bonus points on VGC but not bestbuy giftcards?

#4433 Enuf   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   8191 Posts   Joined 12.2 Years Ago  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 07:47 AM

you get bonus points on VGC but not bestbuy giftcards?

Yes, 257 MBB on a $205.95 VGC

On $10 pre-order topic,

Anyone wanna see Mortal Kombat X get added to the $10 pre-order promo or an instant $10 gc? MK games have good track record of being in BB promos. Pretty sure they offered a pre-order deal & instant gc on the on MK vs DC would love to see a wolfenstein type offer.
http://www.forums.be...ce-view=desktop

#4434 Prison Mike   Don't Drop The Soap CAGiversary!   1741 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Prison Mike

Posted 13 October 2014 - 07:49 AM

Looks like they're ignoring you...

#4435 Deader2818   Flipadelphia! CAGiversary!   11240 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 11:40 AM

Enuf show some respect to htz and take this else where. You derail this thread at least every other week with this same discussion.

#4436 WickedEndoNinja   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   3649 Posts   Joined 16.9 Years Ago  

WickedEndoNinja

Posted 13 October 2014 - 12:02 PM

anyone having problems checking out on bestbuy.com ?

Trying to preorder evil within and it keeps freezing up

#4437 ritchardf  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 12:21 PM

last week people had the same problem trying to preorder driveclub on monday.

#4438 qualityman13  

qualityman13

Posted 13 October 2014 - 01:11 PM

I cannot get to my cart withing receiving this error

We apologize. We're experiencing a technical problem.

Please clear your cart session and try adding your items again

EDIT: signed off, and deleted the history, its working again

#4439 Dunder   You can't handle my undivided attention. CAGiversary!   1058 Posts   Joined 11.1 Years Ago  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 01:18 PM

Geez Enuf - give it a rest and take it somewhere else.

On topic, I can't wait to play the MCC. Getting it $12 off and a $10 cert on top of that is probably my top value of the year.

#4440 Bezerker   Bezerker Barrage! CAGiversary!   7096 Posts   Joined 17.0 Years Ago  

Posted 13 October 2014 - 01:22 PM

My pending points for Mordor still dont show the "Victory can be pre-ordered" bonus so lets hope those appear when the points finalize. I've been having a lot of issues lately with GCU where they have to scan my card twice to get it to show as GCU, no 10% bonus on my last trade, etc.

*EDIT*

I just realized that I paid the full amount at register, meaning they did not take my $5 pre-order into account so I probably wont be getting a $10 cert.  Guess i'll have to create yet another thread on the support forums...