- - - - -

CAGLS: Madden 25 Fan's League! Season 3 Complete! Jets Win! Thanks Everybody!

Madden 25 League Gentlemens JV Fans Football

#31 KingofOldSchool   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   5092 Posts   Joined 13.0 Years Ago  

KingofOldSchool

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:20 AM

I'll claim my 49ers.

#32 CAGLeagueSports   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2628 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

CAGLeagueSports

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:29 AM

I'll claim my 49ers.

That works for me. I don't think we've had a 9'ers fan in here.

Also, it's interesting, but I guess I've been on this site so long (and I'm sure pitfallharry and some others are the same way), I actually know what teams people are fans of just from following the NFL thread in the off topic forum, haha. I'm sitting here thinking "Hmm...the only other 49'ers fans on CAG I'm aware of are DestroVega and DT778"...even though they've never played Madden with us, lol.

#33 jza1218   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4894 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:44 AM

Madden Demo releases on Aug. 13, a week from today.

#34 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16949 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 07 August 2013 - 02:52 AM

Madden Demo releases on Aug. 13, a week from today.

h79973E43.jpg

#35 DVO21   Non-Pro League CAGiversary!   3497 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

Posted 07 August 2013 - 03:03 AM

lol ive been to borats home country it's very nice... it actually is pretty nice though its like the 10th largest country in the world and thoughs dudes can drink

#36 Flyersfan   The Dude CAGiversary!   1559 Posts   Joined 13.7 Years Ago  

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:58 AM

I prefer option 3 on that list. I'm not a diehard NFL fan as I stated, I like college football a lot more, but don't think it's fair to block me out or others because someone has our favorite team already. I easily couldve lied and said i was a huge Ravens fan, but i didnt and I'd rather have Konfusion take them if he wants to come back. He can attest to how much I tried to get Flacco from him last year though :)

I understand the reasoning for it, but with guys like myself, DVO and jbake (just an example here) we finished out the league with other teams. Not saying it will necessarily happen again though.

The league in general is actually pretty good in that sense, we keep a good percentage of players throughout.

#37 jbake_11   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   118 Posts   Joined 6.5 Years Ago  

jbake_11

Posted 07 August 2013 - 04:26 PM

I prefer option 3 on that list. I'm not a diehard NFL fan as I stated, I like college football a lot more, but don't think it's fair to block me out or others because someone has our favorite team already. I easily couldve lied and said i was a huge Ravens fan, but i didnt and I'd rather have Konfusion take them if he wants to come back. He can attest to how much I tried to get Flacco from him last year though :)

I understand the reasoning for it, but with guys like myself, DVO and jbake (just an example here) we finished out the league with other teams. Not saying it will necessarily happen again though.

The league in general is actually pretty good in that sense, we keep a good percentage of players throughout.

I agree with this, but not playing with the cowboys isnt a big deal for me, I personally dont like to play with my favorite team bc i dont want to replace players i like in real life. 

#38 pitfallharry219  

pitfallharry219

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:03 PM

I'm okay with having open teams as long as we're at least half full. I definitely think returning owners should get a team, even if their favorite team is already owned.

#39 CAGLeagueSports   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2628 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

CAGLeagueSports

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:12 PM

I agree with this, but not playing with the cowboys isnt a big deal for me, I personally dont like to play with my favorite team bc i dont want to replace players i like in real life. 

This is the exact reason FOR using favorite teams, lol. Trades got way out of hand last year, and there will be a trading cap in place this year to limit how many trades teams are able to make each season and how often superstar players get traded.

As for people on the waiting list, we will most likely go with option 3 that I proposed earlier. I think it's at least a compromise between 1 and 2. It doesn't throw those people out in the cold, but it doesn't give them the freedom to choose a loaded team either. We've still got a while to get that sorted out though, especially considering we don't ever start until regular season rosters are finalized.

#40 jbake_11   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   118 Posts   Joined 6.5 Years Ago  

jbake_11

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:44 PM

when you say last year do you mean the last season we played or the entire existence of the madden league for last years game? 

#41 JoelyPoley   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   378 Posts   Joined 7.1 Years Ago  

JoelyPoley

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:54 PM

Last season comes to mind first because it was the most recent, but I think every season had some people making lots of trades.

#42 jbake_11   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   118 Posts   Joined 6.5 Years Ago  

jbake_11

Posted 07 August 2013 - 05:58 PM

what about a no-trade list? kind of like in fantasy football you have a no drop list? Each team would have a no trade list or anyone over a certain rating. 

I just know with the Giants last year, i inherited a 3-13 team, and without the trades i made I seriously doubt I would've had the same success. The previous owner gutted the team.

#43 DVO21   Non-Pro League CAGiversary!   3497 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:14 PM

im not sure if a no trade list would be great either. then people could be stuck with players that dont fit there style of play. i'm not to worried about trades this year though if i have the chiefs i don't think i will make even close to as many trades as the past maddens.

#44 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16949 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:25 PM

what about a no-trade list? kind of like in fantasy football you have a no drop list? Each team would have a no trade list or anyone over a certain rating.

I just know with the Giants last year, i inherited a 3-13 team, and without the trades i made I seriously doubt I would've had the same success. The previous owner gutted the team.

This is the system we used in Madden 12. We didn't specifically restrict any player from being traded, but there was a limit on how many "core players" could be traded...with players 90+ counting more than players with lower ratings.

5 trades per season,, 3 core players traded away max
90+ Player = 2 core players
80-89 Player = 1 core player
1st round pick = 1 core player

This basically meant that if someone wanted to trade a superstar, it would limit them to one other mid-level trade and 3 low-level trades for the rest of the season. Or, they could make 3 mid-level trades and 2 low-level trades. I think it provided decent flexibility without letting people go bonkers. Obviously, we would still have the restriction on "re-trades" as well.

If I'm being honest, I'm still a fan of this system. I think it's reasonably close to "the sweet spot" in terms of forcing people to think about the moves they're making and having to plan ahead for the future. I think some of the "gutting" came from people just rolling the dice, knowing that if it didn't work out, they could just do it again. I think a trade cap demands that we all be a bit more savvy in our GM'ing...which will hopefully provide for more realism.

#45 pitfallharry219  

pitfallharry219

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:43 PM

I do like that system, but how would it work now with players being rated differently in different schemes?

#46 jza1218   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4894 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Posted 07 August 2013 - 06:57 PM

Yeah, leaving the team with a bunch of high picks, Arian Foster, Hakeem Nicks, a 90-rated MLB in his second year plus some good young corners is really gutting the team.

You inherited a 3-13 team because I suck at playing Madden.

#47 TheN8torious   Shhh...I'm Invisible CAGiversary!   16949 Posts   Joined 12.9 Years Ago  

TheN8torious

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:23 PM

I do like that system, but how would it work now with players being rated differently in different schemes?

Well, what we did before when counting the core player limit was count it against the team getting rid of the player. We could do that same thing for the rating, since for the most part, the player will have the highest rating on his original team (at least starting with default rosters anyway). Just my initial thought on it. I'm up for hearing other opinions as well.

#48 jbake_11   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   118 Posts   Joined 6.5 Years Ago  

jbake_11

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:49 PM

Yeah, leaving the team with a bunch of high picks, Arian Foster, Hakeem Nicks, a 90-rated MLB in his second year plus some good young corners is really gutting the team.

You inherited a 3-13 team because I suck at playing Madden.

You traded away Eli Manning, David Wilson, Victor Cruz, and Justin Tuck. Yes that's gutting the current team you had. I would of been screwed if I couldn't trade for Andy Dalton. Kurt Warner was a great pick up for you... Dont get all pissy. 

#49 ballhawk20   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   395 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

ballhawk20

Posted 07 August 2013 - 07:58 PM

When will I know who my team is?

#50 CAGLeagueSports   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2628 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

CAGLeagueSports

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:15 PM

You traded away Eli Manning, David Wilson, Victor Cruz, and Justin Tuck. Yes that's gutting the current team you had. I would of been screwed if I couldn't trade for Andy Dalton. Kurt Warner was a great pick up for you... Dont get all pissy. 

All right, let's not get things too heated in here already...especially about last year's game. I think we all can acknowledge that there were issues in the game itself that created many of these issues in the league. That's the reason we're looking into bringing back old policies or adopting new ones. We should all be looking forward to making a more enjoyable experience this year rather than looking back.

When will I know who my team is?

Um...wrong league?

#51 jza1218   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4894 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:32 PM

Never mind, no point in continuing a pointless argument. 

#52 DVO21   Non-Pro League CAGiversary!   3497 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

Posted 07 August 2013 - 08:39 PM

when will jbake and i know if we r in or out and what teams we get?

#53 CAGLeagueSports   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2628 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

CAGLeagueSports

Posted 07 August 2013 - 09:26 PM

when will jbake and i know if we r in or out and what teams we get?

Probably not for a few weeks. I mean, I could do it now, but then if a fan of that team comes along, you'd just get booted off that team anyway. If you guys would actually prefer that, I guess we can do it that way. Just seems kind of silly. I can at least tell you that in all likelihood (unless a miracle happens and we fill up with 32 fans), you guys will have a spot...and at this point, it also seems like having teams randomly assigned was the agreed upon method. So, obviously, that would probably reduce your chances of landing the Chiefs.

#54 DVO21   Non-Pro League CAGiversary!   3497 Posts   Joined 7.8 Years Ago  

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:12 PM

so whats the method of use to assign teams pull teams out of a hat? well i would hope i would have a spot in the league i've been in it since the start of the JV league

#55 CAGLeagueSports   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2628 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

CAGLeagueSports

Posted 07 August 2013 - 11:36 PM

so whats the method of use to assign teams pull teams out of a hat? well i would hope i would have a spot in the league i've been in it since the start of the JV league

Probably, yes. Also, I'd be careful being so cavalier about your standing in the league. After the events that transpired last year and your attitude toward getting a new commissioner, creating your own league, etc. it was no guarantee that you'd be allowed back. I'm hoping we don't run into any of those problem this year.

#56 AvengedBacklog   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   13144 Posts   Joined 8.1 Years Ago  

AvengedBacklog

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:02 AM

Well, what we did before when counting the core player limit was count it against the team getting rid of the player. We could do that same thing for the rating, since for the most part, the player will have the highest rating on his original team (at least starting with default rosters anyway). Just my initial thought on it. I'm up for hearing other opinions as well.

I think Pitfall's question (and the one in my mind as well) is more along the lines of how you would measure players in their actual scheme within a team.  Afterall, the ratings for when you look at a team's roster in the regular roster screens were different than if you looked at your own roster with your specific schemes in place.  Assuming everyone agrees to just go by the regular roster screens that it should be fine.  I also think for the trade cap it should just be one 90+ OVR player per season, I feel like thats easier to track than counting them as two core players, especially since an 88 OVR in one scheme could be a 92 in another, etc.  

As for myself, I havent decided yet if I'm getting this at release, but I'd go for the Patriots at this point since they're my favorite team.  I actually like using other teams in online modes to broaden my Madden experience (as I always have an offline mode that uses the Pats) but would be fine using the Pats here.

One other thought I had was in regard to depth charts, I think that they should be more closely monitored this year.  I know some people liked to put their CB's at FS and SS  (part to lessen the TE impact but part to have the ridiculous CB jumping abilities present in every Madden at other positions) and several liked to put higher speed WR's in the slot in their depth chart because of the obvious mismatches it created.  I feel like those are cheap options that should be left to the ranked area of online play and not in a relaxed CAG league.  Just my thoughts of course.

#57 CAGLeagueSports   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2628 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

CAGLeagueSports

Posted 08 August 2013 - 12:24 AM

I think Pitfall's question (and the one in my mind as well) is more along the lines of how you would measure players in their actual scheme within a team.  Afterall, the ratings for when you look at a team's roster in the regular roster screens were different than if you looked at your own roster with your specific schemes in place.  Assuming everyone agrees to just go by the regular roster screens that it should be fine.  I also think for the trade cap it should just be one 90+ OVR player per season, I feel like thats easier to track than counting them as two core players, especially since an 88 OVR in one scheme could be a 92 in another, etc.  

As for myself, I havent decided yet if I'm getting this at release, but I'd go for the Patriots at this point since they're my favorite team.  I actually like using other teams in online modes to broaden my Madden experience (as I always have an offline mode that uses the Pats) but would be fine using the Pats here.

One other thought I had was in regard to depth charts, I think that they should be more closely monitored this year.  I know some people liked to put their CB's at FS and SS  (part to lessen the TE impact but part to have the ridiculous CB jumping abilities present in every Madden at other positions) and several liked to put higher speed WR's in the slot in their depth chart because of the obvious mismatches it created.  I feel like those are cheap options that should be left to the ranked area of online play and not in a relaxed CAG league.  Just my thoughts of course.

Well, the reason for using the core player measurement is that it gives a clearer idea of the value of a superstar. A 90+ player is going to command a high return of either 2 1st round draft picks or 2 80-89 players (in most cases...obviously, if you're trading a 90 player for an 89 player, it wouldn't require another 89 player). But in general, it just gives a guideline for value and different trading scenarios. And we used it in Madden 12 without much issue. The only reason we went away from it last year was in the hope that EA implementing a salary cap would create enough limitations. But I guess we didn't foresee the back-loaded contracts and people offering max year deals to give them more financial flexibility...combined with no bonus contracts which allowed these players to be moved fairly easily.

As for the scheme thing, wasn't there a way to see what the player is rated in other schemes? The problem with using the base roster is it wouldn't account for player progression that takes place in CCM. I don't have the game sitting right in front of me anymore to be able to look things up, but this doesn't seem like a huge issue with no solution. Yeah, maybe what we have is a rough outline...but it's probably good enough for now. We'll figure out more as we go.

Concerning your final paragraph, I agree completely...it's just a matter of having a tangible way to be able to do those things. First of all, before even considering any of that, the game needs to have its own measures for safeguarding against it. I was one of the people who acquired top CBs and put one at FS. Why? Because half the league was raping the field up and down with TEs. I'm not even going to think about imposing limitations on defense until EA shows that it can program a competent defensive game. And the problem with even banning #1 receivers in the slot is that pretty much every playbook has a handful of plays that are like this by design. The reality is, all of these complaints go back to defensive assignments. If that's back in the game, we don't even need to be having this discussion. If it's not, there's really not an answer that's fair to everyone.

#58 HooRox   Go Pack Go! CAGiversary!   113 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

Posted 08 August 2013 - 09:34 PM

Nate, I'd like to return to the league this year. It seems my favorite team (Packers), my wife's team (Cowbows), and my son's team (Kaster's Brncos) are claimed.

Since I don't want any other NFC teams, I wold like one of my favorite AFC teams and my preference would be the Texans.

#59 HooRox   Go Pack Go! CAGiversary!   113 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

Posted 08 August 2013 - 10:13 PM

I wold like one of my favorite AFC teams and my preference would be the Texans.

It seems the issues you want to avoid are people dropping out mid-season and people gutting the team via trades/cuts. I don't think you have to worry about that with me, given that I stuck around with mediocre ability and mediocre Steelers teams for the last two full seasons and I have a tendency not to trade willy-nilly. Let me know how you want to handle my choice of a team I like (Texans) vs. the team I love (Packers). Thanks.

#60 jza1218   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   4894 Posts   Joined 15.6 Years Ago  

Posted 09 August 2013 - 02:05 AM

I'm going to assume that relocating teams is a no-go, correct?