* * * * - 44 votes

PS Vita Deals & Discussions Thread

Vita PS Vita

#28951 bojay1997   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6735 Posts   Joined 17.8 Years Ago  

Posted 25 July 2021 - 09:50 PM

I'm kinda skeptical you read through my comment, bojay. The US links, California address, and UPCs aren't what are off here. As evidenced by the picture of Epic Mickey that I included, those are what you'd expect to see on a LATAM release; not the references to SCEE, London, Austria, etc.The entire 711719 UPC series belongs to Sony, that's not hard to find out (Google can tell you as much).

If you've got any links to rumors of this being a LATAM release prior to 2021 I'd absolutely love a link, because as we've mentioned earlier in the thread there doesn't seem to be any mention or acknowledgement of that prior to these being on eBay in 2021.

The ESRB release of Wipeout 2048 also references both SCEE which was the developer and SCEA which was the US publisher.  I just don't see how that's dispositive of anything and the developer of Invizimals, Novarama, became a SCEE first party studio in 2011.  I really find it hard to believe that a seller in South America is going to spend the time and money creating such an elaborate forgery just to sell a handful of copies on Ebay.  Given the popularity of Invizimals cards in South America outside of the PS3 and PSP/Vita games, I can imagine a quantity of carts being imported by Sony's LATAM team, restickered and repackaged for sale in the market.  I can't find a reference to the LATAM rumors, but I can recall it coming up in discussions as early as 2016 after Epic Mickey was found.    

#28952 trinken wir   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   488 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

trinken wir

Posted 25 July 2021 - 10:09 PM

Tweeg and I actually discussed Epic Mickey on this forum years ago. My memory is that after some digging Latin America and Mexico are not region 1 and would not be part of that list. I cannot remember what region it is, but he had a Sony region link. Whatever the outcome (fake or real) it would be an ESRB release, but not a region 1 release.

#28953 Tothoro  

Posted 25 July 2021 - 10:36 PM

The ESRB release of Wipeout 2048 also references both SCEE which was the developer and SCEA which was the US publisher.  I just don't see how that's dispositive of anything and the developer of Invizimals, Novarama, became a SCEE first party studio in 2011.  I really find it hard to believe that a seller in South America is going to spend the time and money creating such an elaborate forgery just to sell a handful of copies on Ebay.  Given the popularity of Invizimals cards in South America outside of the PS3 and PSP/Vita games, I can imagine a quantity of carts being imported by Sony's LATAM team, restickered and repackaged for sale in the market.  I can't find a reference to the LATAM rumors, but I can recall it coming up in discussions as early as 2016 after Epic Mickey was found.    

This?

UIReM8Y.png

It mentions Wipeout as being a trademark of SCEE (which was one of the references the Invizimals cover had, but not the only one) and that it was programmed in the UK. Invizimals mentions the trademark, yes, but it also mentions manufacture in Austria and being manufactured for SCEE (not SCEA, where it was allegedly sold). Since you mentioned Novarama and it's also referenced by the Wipeout game case, it's interesting to note that Novarama is a Spanish studio and the alleged ESRB case also says it was "programmed in the US", which shouldn't be the case given the Wipeout analog. I didn't notice that until comparing it with Wipeout.

If your angle is that it's unlikely some dude in Chile is printing custom art/labels, I would argue:

1. Repro cases, art, etc. are more popular now than they've ever been. It's prolific in the DS space and I've seen people make repro art for Vita games before. Admittedly this would be the first time I can think of someone inventing a new regional variant for this purpose, but $300 a pop is nothing to scoff at.
  2. I think it's far, far less likely that Sony, a multimillion dollar company, decided to create an entirely new variant of this game (with notably different box art and labels, as noted in previous comments) for SA and then decided to make so few copies of it that there's no mention on Google, no listing on any retailer, or any third-party marketplace. Even some of the rarest Vita things in the world, like the Resistance Case, Epic Mickey, and Motorstorm have multiple hits/references you can find.
  3. The fact that the same two people based in the same city (Santiago, Chile) are the only ones that seem to have copies and just-so-happen to find a new copy to list every few months while nobody else in the country has one to sell adds to both of these points.
  4. Another interesting hypothesis is that the people selling these don't necessarily have to be the same people that created/forged them. It could be as innocuous as someone printing custom stuff as a hobby or for personal use, then these folks stumbled upon them, did a quick search, and realized they had something they could sell for a pretty penny. Given the consistency with which these listings are put up, the pricing, and the fact that they're never put up alongside each other I'm doubtful, but I also think it's a more likely theory than Sony printing these and them being legitimate releases.

I'm not saying it's a careless forgery; they did get a lot right (including the game ID on the spine, which is also Google-able but not widely known), but I feel like every time I spend more time looking at the case I find more things that aren't quite right (like with this reply noticing that they put programmed in the US). So I am saying that accumulation of those inconsistencies and the way this seemingly came onto the scene as a super-rare collector's item from random Chilean eBay accounts don't add up, especially considering how many eyes have been on the Vita collectors' scene over the years.

#28954 bojay1997   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   6735 Posts   Joined 17.8 Years Ago  

Posted 25 July 2021 - 11:05 PM

This?

UIReM8Y.png

It mentions Wipeout as being a trademark of SCEE (which was one of the references the Invizimals cover had, but not the only one) and that it was programmed in the UK. Invizimals mentions the trademark, yes, but it also mentions manufacture in Austria and being manufactured for SCEE (not SCEA, where it was allegedly sold). Since you mentioned Novarama and it's also referenced by the Wipeout game case, it's interesting to note that Novarama is a Spanish studio and the alleged ESRB case also says it was "programmed in the US", which shouldn't be the case given the Wipeout analog. I didn't notice that until comparing it with Wipeout.

If your angle is that it's unlikely some dude in Chile is printing custom art/labels, I would argue:

1. Repro cases, art, etc. are more popular now than they've ever been. It's prolific in the DS space and I've seen people make repro art for Vita games before. Admittedly this would be the first time I can think of someone inventing a new regional variant for this purpose, but $300 a pop is nothing to scoff at.
  2. I think it's far, far less likely that Sony, a multimillion dollar company, decided to create an entirely new variant of this game (with notably different box art and labels, as noted in previous comments) for SA and then decided to make so few copies of it that there's no mention on Google, no listing on any retailer, or any third-party marketplace. Even some of the rarest Vita things in the world, like the Resistance Case, Epic Mickey, and Motorstorm have multiple hits/references you can find.
  3. The fact that the same two people based in the same city (Santiago, Chile) are the only ones that seem to have copies and just-so-happen to find a new copy to list every few months while nobody else in the country has one to sell adds to both of these points.
  4. Another interesting hypothesis is that the people selling these don't necessarily have to be the same people that created/forged them. It could be as innocuous as someone printing custom stuff as a hobby or for personal use, then these folks stumbled upon them, did a quick search, and realized they had something they could sell for a pretty penny. Given the consistency with which these listings are put up, the pricing, and the fact that they're never put up alongside each other I'm doubtful, but I also think it's a more likely theory than Sony printing these and them being legitimate releases.

I'm not saying it's a careless forgery; they did get a lot right (including the game ID on the spine, which is also Google-able but not widely known), but I feel like every time I spend more time looking at the case I find more things that aren't quite right (like with this reply noticing that they put programmed in the US). So I am saying that accumulation of those inconsistencies and the way this seemingly came onto the scene as a super-rare collector's item from random Chilean eBay accounts don't add up, especially considering how many eyes have been on the Vita collectors' scene over the years.

Sure, those are all persuasive arguments.  Santiago is a massive city and certainly the largest in Chile, so I don't know that it's so surprising that several people doing resale of games would reside there.  At the same time, if it really was just a small regional release, I can very easily see the LATAM team not putting much effort into the text on the back of the case insert and as several limited releases have shown, nobody at Sony is really checking that stuff too closely.  Not saying it's not possible that this is a forgery, intentional or not, but I just don't think any of the arguments you have raised really proves it either way.  

#28955 Tothoro  

Posted 25 July 2021 - 11:50 PM

Sure, those are all persuasive arguments.  Santiago is a massive city and certainly the largest in Chile, so I don't know that it's so surprising that several people doing resale of games would reside there.  At the same time, if it really was just a small regional release, I can very easily see the LATAM team not putting much effort into the text on the back of the case insert and as several limited releases have shown, nobody at Sony is really checking that stuff too closely.  Not saying it's not possible that this is a forgery, intentional or not, but I just don't think any of the arguments you have raised really proves it either way.  

The issue is that the only people anywhere in the country (or the world, for that matter) selling this particular game variant are two specific eBay accounts in that city. Sure Santiago is big, but Chile, South America, and the world are much bigger than just Santiago. These two having multiple copies of something so ethereal over half a decade after it allegedly released is suspicious to say the least.

Sure, typos and things happen on game art and manuals. But randomly attributing assembly to Austria or throwing in Sony London's physical address are hardly typos, especially when they're a commonality in the EU-produced versions of the game.

You say "small regional release", like Sony just opted to print ten and call it a day. With MOQ, if this was legit there would be a minimum of 1k copies out there. Other small, regional releases like Resistance and Epic Mickey have been well documented and discussed over the years; not the case here. There isn't any evidence to legitimize it - nothing on Google, no listings outside of the same people on eBay, etc. So on one hand persuasive arguments, on the other hand... Hope? FOMO?

Short of Sony making a statement (which we all know will never happen) I'm sure there will always be a seed of doubt for someone. But at a certain point, if it smells like shit, if it looks like shit, if it tastes like shit (please don't taste shit, this is a metaphor), and you see a dog squatting above it, there's a pretty good chance it is indeed shit.

#28956 Souffrir   Eternally Training CAG CAGiversary!   5768 Posts   Joined 8.8 Years Ago  

Posted 26 July 2021 - 12:10 AM

I don’t think I’ve seen so many posts in this thread in at least two years.

#28957 Staind204   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2515 Posts   Joined 18.0 Years Ago  

Posted 26 July 2021 - 12:18 AM

I find it odd that the case art is not full english but the game cart is.   The case art says "La Alianza" but the cart says "The Alliance."  Regardless of if its real or not, I'll just consider my R2 version with the full english case art good enough.  

#28958 redman77   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   354 Posts   Joined 17.8 Years Ago  

redman77

Posted 26 July 2021 - 03:33 AM

I find it odd that the case art is not full english but the game cart is.   The case art says "La Alianza" but the cart says "The Alliance."  Regardless of if its real or not, I'll just consider my R2 version with the full english case art good enough.  

It's that way with the Spanish PEGI version of La Alianza as well. And same with the PEGI version of L'allenaza. Carts for every version say "The alliance," while the cases say different things.

#28959 Tothoro  

Posted 26 July 2021 - 10:53 PM

Looks like LRG is teasing Meat Boy, their final Vita release (outside of the "full set" game). I imagine these will sell through very quickly.

#28960 redman77   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   354 Posts   Joined 17.8 Years Ago  

redman77

Posted 26 July 2021 - 11:07 PM

Looks like LRG is teasing Meat Boy, their final Vita release (outside of the "full set" game). I imagine these will sell through very quickly.

Bloodbath for sure. I got an email last week from them telling me that it will ship to me this week. It was from rewards tickets I redeemed eons ago. I had saved them for the final Vita game, which I knew would be extremely difficult to get.

#28961 trinken wir   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   488 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

trinken wir

Posted 27 July 2021 - 02:03 AM

I got the same email. Also figured the best use of tickets was the last vita releases. Also had enough for Papers Please.

Okay Nicalis it is your move, did the games make it to print or not?

I suppose same question for LRG did you actually make the "full set" game?

#28962 redman77   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   354 Posts   Joined 17.8 Years Ago  

redman77

Posted 27 July 2021 - 04:05 AM

Props to LRG for finally releasing SMB and not playing a game of wanting to be the last Vita release, that is unless they have knowledge that Nicalis won't release its 2 games. Nicalis really needs to step up and sell the stinking games if they actually have them in a warehouse.

As for the full set game, I was excited about it at first, but now I don't really care if they made it or not. I just want the new Vita releases ride to be over. After SMB and possibly the two Nicalis games, the final Play Asia releases will be the only things left (unless the Chilean Invizimals game is for real haha). The VIta was my first and will be my last system to go for a full set on. Thought it would be a small number and easy to do. LRG and all their copycats changed that.

#28963 redrum666   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1555 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

Posted 27 July 2021 - 04:51 PM

#28964 Josef   Raising Acts! CAGiversary!   13480 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

Posted 27 July 2021 - 04:58 PM

Wow, so they are going to further dilute their stock of SMB by selling some of it as a CE.  Papers Please was never diluted with a CE and that was extremely tough to get.

#28965 redrum666   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1555 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

Posted 27 July 2021 - 05:01 PM

Wow, so they are going to further dilute their stock of SMB by selling some of it as a CE.  Papers Please was never diluted with a CE and that was extremely tough to get.

1,000 copies for each

#28966 Josef   Raising Acts! CAGiversary!   13480 Posts   Joined 17.5 Years Ago  

Posted 27 July 2021 - 05:04 PM

1,000 copies for each

Or 600/400 in the AM/PM.

Would be much easier to secure if it was 1200/800 in the AM/PM batches.

In other words...good luck, you will need it!

#28967 Staind204   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2515 Posts   Joined 18.0 Years Ago  

Posted 27 July 2021 - 06:13 PM

Or 600/400 in the AM/PM.

Would be much easier to secure if it was 1200/800 in the AM/PM batches.

In other words...good luck, you will need it!

I really hate that they even made a CE for the Vita version.  No one wants all that crap in the CE and it just makes it twice as hard to get a standard edition.  They know the CE will sell though for anyone who wants the game and missed out on the SE.

#28968 Tothoro  

Posted 27 July 2021 - 07:50 PM

I really hate that they even made a CE for the Vita version.  No one wants all that crap in the CE and it just makes it twice as hard to get a standard edition.  They know the CE will sell though for anyone who wants the game and missed out on the SE.

$45 extra for a meat tray, a box, a poster, and a figure Fangamer sold. Gotta fluff those profit margins as much as possible.

#28969 redman77   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   354 Posts   Joined 17.8 Years Ago  

redman77

Posted 27 July 2021 - 07:57 PM

Well crap! I have a complete North American collection of all CEs and regular editions. Thought I was safe on SMB since I used tickets on it. Looks like I'm going to have to battle for a CE now. Yuck. I'm sure there are some other people as well in the same spot. Hate that some people are going to need to get two copies of SMB (CE and regular), which will cut into the supply of the game for people wanting to get it.

#28970 waterdrew   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   40 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

waterdrew

Posted 28 July 2021 - 07:21 AM

Everytime i check this thread, I end up leaving it with less money. See you bois on friday for the vita blood bath.

#28971 redrum666   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1555 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

Posted 28 July 2021 - 09:42 AM

just got an email from the SkullPirates kickstarter it looks like the vita version will be shipping in September so that may mean that it will be one of the playasia exclusive vita games for August or September

#28972 Liquid Metal   hasta la vista my ass!!!!!!! CAGiversary!   2826 Posts   Joined 8.6 Years Ago  

Liquid Metal

Posted 31 July 2021 - 11:14 AM

So anyone score? I managed to just bite the bullet and buy the fan bundle to secure the vitas and switch CE. Didnt want to risk missing any.

#28973 HaloGX   DCGX CAGiversary!   1226 Posts   Joined 16.2 Years Ago  

Posted 31 July 2021 - 07:21 PM

Score meaning for 'Super Meat Boy?' I managed to get a copy in the afternoon lot after getting screwed by their anti-scalper measures. I went all the way through checkout in the first lot for it to sell out. 

But whatever. I have my copy, so I'm happy. And since they have them in hand, it shouldn't take long to get here. In theory.

#28974 waterdrew   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   40 Posts   Joined 12.3 Years Ago  

waterdrew

Posted 07 August 2021 - 06:50 PM

So Scourge Bringer.

Does this game go live on Play asia the same time the switch ver goes live on nov 5? Also their seems to be ps4 ver floating around (60$) and for a game like this, I wouldn't mind playing it on the bigger screen. 

#28975 redrum666   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1555 Posts   Joined 15.8 Years Ago  

Posted 07 August 2021 - 06:57 PM

So Scourge Bringer.

Does this game go live on Play asia the same time the switch ver goes live on nov 5? Also their seems to be ps4 ver floating around (60$) and for a game like this, I wouldn't mind playing it on the bigger screen. 

the vita ver was sold last month and the switch ver was sold on nov 5 2020

#28976 juubei1i   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   359 Posts   Joined 9.4 Years Ago  

Posted 11 August 2021 - 01:50 AM

hoping someone can help me. not deal related but I know someone here can help me.  Haven't used my vita in a few years, now I'm going out of town and would like to have it.  How do I download the games/dlc I already own onto it?  I just keep getting error messages.  I feel silly but I always used my PS3 and that method isnt working.

#28977 shadowysea07   Cjenvy I'm ready for you awd this time I'm wearing pants CAGiversary!   6584 Posts   Joined 8.3 Years Ago  

shadowysea07

Posted 11 August 2021 - 03:12 AM

hoping someone can help me. not deal related but I know someone here can help me.  Haven't used my vita in a few years, now I'm going out of town and would like to have it.  How do I download the games/dlc I already own onto it?  I just keep getting error messages.  I feel silly but I always used my PS3 and that method isnt working.

Download either directly from the vita's store or go to your account and download or whatever history and can redownload from there.  Occasionally games will not download from the regular history and require downloading from the store page for them directly. 

#28978 BoxPizzaBox   Trash Tier CAGiversary!   1350 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

BoxPizzaBox

Posted 11 August 2021 - 03:12 AM

You could try turning off / unchecking the 'Wi-Fi in Power Save Mode' option. That seems to cause problems. The name is counter-intuitive. If it is checked, it will use less power on Wi-Fi.

You may need to generate a password to use in place of Two-Factor Authentication mode:

"Log into PS with your phone or PC and go to account settings > security > Device Setup Password > Generate New Password. Use that password to log into PSTV."

Those are my best guesses. What's the error message?

#28979 trinken wir   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   488 Posts   Joined 12.4 Years Ago  

trinken wir

Posted 12 August 2021 - 12:29 AM

I was looking for an R3 list of Vita games and happened across this furthering the Invizimals discussion from a few weeks ago.

https://amp.reddit.c...iant_an_exposé/

Not sure if the person from Morrison is also on cag (or reading this). I am not on reddit and I am not going to create an account, but I live about 40 minutes north of Morrison. Would be interesting to see a video of the load screens if you get the chance.

#28980 Tothoro  

Posted 12 August 2021 - 01:53 AM

I was looking for an R3 list of Vita games and happened across this furthering the Invizimals discussion from a few weeks ago.

https://amp.reddit.c...iant_an_exposé/

Not sure if the person from Morrison is also on cag (or reading this). I am not on reddit and I am not going to create an account, but I live about 40 minutes north of Morrison. Would be interesting to see a video of the load screens if you get the chance.

That was my post, spurred on in part by the conversation in here a few weeks ago. I wish I could edit the title to be a little less sensationalized to better encourage people to engage, discuss, and share evidence, but sadly Reddit doesn't allow title edits.

In conjunction with that post I've reached out to the former employee that did an AMA a few months ago and some of the folks involved with the game but I've not gotten any substantial response back (a few "I don't know" responses and a whole lot of people that didn't respond). Doesn't help that I'm the modern equivalent of a Twitter egg, I suppose.

The two things that stuck out to me most about the responses I got were:

1. People with the game got extremely combative. To an extent I get it; they spent real money on something they believe to be real and valuable and don't like the prospect that they were duped. But in addition to the friction in the thread I got a few nasty private messages (including one from someone who claimed to be the eBay seller with a current listing). One person threatened to kill my family (I reported that one and the account got suspended). Reddit's a weird place sometimes.
  2. Of the people who claimed to have supporting evidence that it was real, nobody followed up. No Wayback links, the guy who mentioned a video didn't post one, the guy who allegedly bought one in 2018 didn't provide any screenshots, etc. You can probably tell that I think strongly one way about the game's legitimacy by my post, but I would 100% prefer to get to the bottom of it and potentially eat my words if there was evidence leaning one way or another.

If anyone here has anything they think would be pertinent I'm happy to add it to the post and link out from there as well. But wading through the hatemail on Reddit has been fairly mentally exhausting so I'm probably not going to engage much more on the topic unless something big breaks. Hope it's informative, or if nothing else a fun read for anyone interested.