* * * * * 2 votes

RPG Thread XIX is getting a rhythm game spinoff

rpg thread

#301 The Crotch   There are ten sticks of dynamite waiting for you. CAGiversary!   14940 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 12:03 PM

Hey don't ever play a Drakengard game.

#302 eldergamer   Gold Star For Robot Boy CAGiversary!   6635 Posts   Joined 14.3 Years Ago  

eldergamer

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:05 PM

When I opened my Nier case last night, there was no disc. Now I'm wondering if I never got a disc (I bought it from game stop 6+ months ago), or I took it out once, and left it somewhere else...

I played Drakengard 2 on the :ps2: only for a few hours though.

Maybe I'll start Dragon's Dogma after I finish Brothers.

#303 kainzero   scv good to go sir CAGiversary!   3930 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

kainzero

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:35 PM

I don't see anything fun in them. Then again I'm staring at the ceiling for every battle encounter, so maybe I'm missing something.

I like RPGs where dungeon strategy is important (how and when to conserve MP, multiple trips to clear, etc.) so it's nice in FF1. There's also that feeling when you find a cool item (doubly so if it has a helpful active, which is important in FF1 because of inventory space) or getting a cool spell like FAST, and it has basic/general stat progression that you can follow along with.

Heck, even grinding is easy in FF1 with hallways that spawn giants on every step, or the Eye defending the Floater.

The Ice Cave... oh man. Now that's a difficult dungeon, which really doesn't have a true boss unless you want to count the Eye...

#304 elessar123  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 06:39 PM

I like RPGs where dungeon strategy is important (how and when to conserve MP, multiple trips to clear, etc.) so it's nice in FF1.

So, Etrian Odyssey? =P~

#305 kainzero   scv good to go sir CAGiversary!   3930 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

kainzero

Posted 06 February 2014 - 07:42 PM

So, Etrian Odyssey? =P~

I played the first one and got pretty far, then I got distracted by something. Maybe League of Legends.

Strangely, after the Dragon Quest series, the only other game that comes to mind with that style is Might and Magic VI. Kind of. You can still take naps in the dungeon.

#306 Kazaganthi   Blue Rogue CAGiversary!   1947 Posts   Joined 16.4 Years Ago  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 10:55 PM

Play Nier because it is a great game. Ending B is my favorite but ending C and D are pretty epic. New Game+'s go quick since it puts you in the middle of the game, not start all over.

I'm not sure how Drakengard 3 connects to Nier, because the world of Nier is based off the ending/outcome D or E of Drakengard 2, and Drakengard 3 is a prequel to Drakengard 1.

#307 Action!   Game fan game dev CAGiversary!   7400 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 06 February 2014 - 11:38 PM

Nier's definitely on my list to knock out this yier. I'm looking forward to it.

#308 The Crotch   There are ten sticks of dynamite waiting for you. CAGiversary!   14940 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 07 February 2014 - 02:48 AM

Play Nier because it is a great game. Ending B is my favorite but ending C and D are pretty epic. New Game+'s go quick since it puts you in the middle of the game, not start all over.

Really? I thought ending B was too similar to A and one of them should have been cut so C and D could have been shunted to the second playthrough instead of being stuck on the third because even though you're starting in the middle the second two times, three runs of a game is a lot.

#309 RKasa   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4371 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:12 PM

I just got the Bravely Default CE! :whee: Amazon shipped it in a bubble mailer, but amazingly enough, there's no major damage to the thing! Might start it up this weekend.

Oh, and Persona 4 is going well. I was dying a bit yesterday, though; it certainly has that MegaTen-style difficulty.

#310 GhostShark   The Drunken Whaler CAGiversary!   3143 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

GhostShark

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:21 PM

Is there any point to cooking in Vesperia? I find myself rarely cooking even though I have quite a bit of recipes. The only time I really cook is before a boss fight comes up. Because yeah, I gamefaqs the boss fights to get those secret missions, wanna fight about it? 

#311 Action!   Game fan game dev CAGiversary!   7400 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:33 PM

Are there any console differences I should be aware of as far as Nier goes? Thought I remembered being told to go PS3, but I might just be making shit up.

#312 Ryuukishi   My ambitionz az a Ryder CAGiversary!   11381 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

Posted 07 February 2014 - 08:39 PM

Is there any point to cooking in Vesperia? I find myself rarely cooking even though I have quite a bit of recipes. The only time I really cook is before a boss fight comes up. Because yeah, I gamefaqs the boss fights to get those secret missions, wanna fight about it? 

Only reason I ever cooked was for the titles.

#313 Krymner   Yup, I think you're sexy CAGiversary!   3030 Posts   Joined 15.0 Years Ago  

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:15 PM

Are there any console differences I should be aware of as far as Nier goes? Thought I remembered being told to go PS3, but I might just be making shit up.

I don't believe there are any major differences between the two unless you are getting a Japanese import. I heard the PS3 version can have more frame-rate drops when alot is happening on-screen, but the game isn't real strong graphically anyway, so I don't think its very important.

#314 kainzero   scv good to go sir CAGiversary!   3930 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

kainzero

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:27 PM

I was expecting a DQ8 remake sometime in the future...

But I never imagined the platform that it would be on.

http://www.4gamer.ne...93/20131218051/

https://play.google....googleplay.dq8j

#315 GhostShark   The Drunken Whaler CAGiversary!   3143 Posts   Joined 10.4 Years Ago  

GhostShark

Posted 07 February 2014 - 09:47 PM

You shouldn't be too surprised. More and more games (classic and new) are being made exclusively for phones and tables. However, I would love an HD version on consoles and PC. 

#316 themaster20000   You sleeping yet? CAGiversary!   2537 Posts   Joined 11.5 Years Ago  

themaster20000

Posted 07 February 2014 - 10:08 PM

Still need to beat that game.Stopped at the first Dhoulmagus fight and haven't touched it since

#317 kainzero   scv good to go sir CAGiversary!   3930 Posts   Joined 14.5 Years Ago  

kainzero

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:16 PM

Well, when it looks better than the 3DS remakes...

#318 Kazaganthi   Blue Rogue CAGiversary!   1947 Posts   Joined 16.4 Years Ago  

Posted 07 February 2014 - 11:49 PM

Really? I thought ending B was too similar to A and one of them should have been cut so C and D could have been shunted to the second playthrough instead of being stuck on the third because even though you're starting in the middle the second two times, three runs of a game is a lot.

Massive spoilers to Nier behind spoiler tags, do not click!

I could be remembering wrong,

Spoiler
Though they were epic endings.
Spoiler

Anyway, one of the best reasons to play through besides new endings is hard to explain without spoiling the game. Basically, you get new story in a 2nd+ playthrough.

Spoiler

#319 JEKKI   JEKKI WOO FOO FOO CAGiversary!   7044 Posts   Joined 16.4 Years Ago  

Posted 08 February 2014 - 01:39 AM

Bravely Default in da house~!!!!

saturday plans got canceled lol, which aint too bad coz now I'll definitely get some hours into this game!

I gotta add some of u guys as friends if I can figure it out

#320 RKasa   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4371 Posts   Joined 14.1 Years Ago  

Posted 08 February 2014 - 01:44 AM

Persona 4 stuff, regarding Kanji:

Spoiler

#321 sherlock2g   Like Whoa! CAGiversary!   1018 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

sherlock2g

Posted 08 February 2014 - 04:26 AM

I got Bravely Default as well. I will play some at work since it's Saturday and no supervisors and managers are available.

#322 Zmonkay   Awesome in Small Doses CAGiversary!   4735 Posts   Joined 16.7 Years Ago  

Posted 08 February 2014 - 11:48 AM

Fuck you Amazon for still not shipping my Bravely Default (who's title this whole time I have had in my head as Bravery Default, forcing some sort of Engrish twist on it...).

#323 The Crotch   There are ten sticks of dynamite waiting for you. CAGiversary!   14940 Posts   Joined 13.9 Years Ago  

Posted 08 February 2014 - 12:17 PM

Massive spoilers to Nier behind spoiler tags, do not click!

I could be remembering wrong,

Spoiler
Though they were epic endings.
Spoiler

Anyway, one of the best reasons to play through besides new endings is hard to explain without spoiling the game. Basically, you get new story in a 2nd+ playthrough.

Spoiler

Yeah, the extra stuff you get in the second playthrough is fucking amazing. I just wish you didn't need an arbitrary third playthrough that doesn't really contain anything new in it to unlock the last two endings. Endings A and B are certainly good and the game stands up as fantastic on its own, but ending D is god damn "Kobayashi mug dropping"-tier. I'm not sure I can think of any game that ends as well as NieR's ending D.

#324 sherlock2g   Like Whoa! CAGiversary!   1018 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

sherlock2g

Posted 08 February 2014 - 04:59 PM

I'm really enjoying Bravely Default. Thank God for the demo, I probably would have died a lot if I didn't know what I was doing. I just finished the first dungeon and got the first 3 jobs. I'm going to do a bit of grinding before going to the next dungeon. 

#325 Action!   Game fan game dev CAGiversary!   7400 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 09 February 2014 - 08:34 PM

I can't stop playing Bravely. I meant to get so much done this weekend and I just haven't even fucking started any of it.

#326 JEKKI   JEKKI WOO FOO FOO CAGiversary!   7044 Posts   Joined 16.4 Years Ago  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 07:00 AM

Bravely Default is real good!! how do I add friends? lol

I clicked on the street pass or internet or whatever thing out of random and the game gave me 5 "guests" so my town population is 25 instead of 20!

#327 sherlock2g   Like Whoa! CAGiversary!   1018 Posts   Joined 8.5 Years Ago  

sherlock2g

Posted 10 February 2014 - 10:03 AM

I can't stop playing Bravely. I meant to get so much done this weekend and I just haven't even fucking started any of it.

I've been playing this game all day. So far I'm on the 2nd chapter with a level 26 party. I'm going to do a bit of grinding before the next boss.

Bravely Default is real good!! how do I add friends? lol

I clicked on the street pass or internet or whatever thing out of random and the game gave me 5 "guests" so my town population is 25 instead of 20!

You will have to register friends on your system. There is a Google doc on the Bravely Default tread in the deals section with a list of friend codes. To add guests, go to any traveler(dude in red coat), click save, and update data. This will add villagers and enemies to your town. You can do this daily. Click add friends to add the friends you've registered in your system.

#328 raiden_86   Mrgrgr! CAGiversary!   1083 Posts   Joined 9.0 Years Ago  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 11:39 AM

Glad to see the love for BD, I can't put it down myself. I wish people would update their 'summon friend' attack instead of just leaving it as the default (pun) attack. Granted I don't need them, even on hard, but I like to use them in random battles and I like to see the effort people. I really don't feel like I'm grinding in this game, I mean its actually fun to farm job points just to see what ability is next. Turn off exp gain, encounter up and go to town.

#329 Erad30   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2320 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 12:26 PM

Shit, I'm going to have to buy it right away aren't I? I've been at least trying to wait til I've got P4G done...

#330 Action!   Game fan game dev CAGiversary!   7400 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

Posted 10 February 2014 - 02:36 PM

Shit, I'm going to have to buy it right away aren't I? I've been at least trying to wait til I've got P4G done...

Man, I dunno. I adored P4G, but Bravely is shaping up to be a classic for me. It's got pretty much everything I love about RPGs going for it. Obviously too early to tell, but I'm hooked.