* * * * * 2 votes

RPG Thread XIX is getting a rhythm game spinoff

rpg thread

#421 Action!   Game fan game dev CAGiversary!   7400 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Posted 23 February 2014 - 07:24 PM

whooo~!!! went street passin yesterday!

got my Bravely Default village to 100+ residents!!

I'm still on chapter 2 tho lol.

my party is very strong based solely on ablink + some real strong weapons from town building =P

Don't worry, the game'll catch up. I was concerned that I'd over-leveled everything, and then a certain chapter rolled around and started laughing at me thinking I was hot shit.

#422 Erad30   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2320 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Posted 24 February 2014 - 04:02 AM

And Dream Team is done. Fuck Bowser and his goddamn healing move, that fight took FOREVER.

#423 The Crotch   There are ten sticks of dynamite waiting for you. CAGiversary!   14940 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:28 AM

I don't have high hopes for Wasteland 2 but maybe I'll get a fun Jagged Alliance-y game out of it while I wait for Torment and Pillars of Eternity I guess?

Hey Fargo please don't Fuck up with Torment, alright?

#424 RKasa   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4362 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 06:58 AM

Started Sonic Chronicles over the weekend and am currently in Chapter 8. It's a bit longer than I thought it would be. I also didn't have as high expectations for it as I did for Sticker Star, so despite the occasional design quirk, it's been an alright experience most of the time  :razz:

Also, the fall semester has started in my own personal Inaba. Not much else to say about that...

#425 Zmonkay   Awesome in Small Doses CAGiversary!   4735 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 01:10 PM

Started Sonic Chronicles over the weekend and am currently in Chapter 8. It's a bit longer than I thought it would be. I also didn't have as high expectations for it as I did for Sticker Star, so despite the occasional design quirk, it's been an alright experience most of the time  :razz:

Also, the fall semester has started in my own personal Inaba. Not much else to say about that...

Patience of a saint.  I love Bioware, I like Sonic.  That game was borderline unplayable.  I really don't think I played more than an hour or two before returning it to gamestop (so glad I bought it used, so I could return it).

#426 sherlock2g   Like Whoa! CAGiversary!   1018 Posts   Joined 8.4 Years Ago  

sherlock2g

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:15 PM

Don't worry, the game'll catch up. I was concerned that I'd over-leveled everything, and then a certain chapter rolled around and started laughing at me thinking I was hot shit.

That's how I am now on Chapter 4.

Spoiler

#427 Feeding the Abscess   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   3254 Posts   Joined 10.9 Years Ago  

Feeding the Abscess

Posted 25 February 2014 - 02:20 PM

Hey Crotch, how sweet is the Tale of Two Wastelands mod?

#428 RKasa   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4362 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 03:14 PM

Patience of a saint.  I love Bioware, I like Sonic.  That game was borderline unplayable.  I really don't think I played more than an hour or two before returning it to gamestop (so glad I bought it used, so I could return it).

It's got issues, for sure. The enemy difficulty/reward ratio is horribly unbalanced at times. Then there's the debilitating lack of rings, which makes equipment shopping a pain. The touchscreen-only controls. Most of the POW moves (the support characters were largely useless until I got a certain Chao). The bland soundtrack, which is an insult to the franchise.

I don't really play Bioware games, but it's obvious that this one's pretty phoned in. However, there's some decent-to-good parts (the level designs, the flat character graphics, no overly annoying puzzles, a few unexpected pop culture references), and I'm more than halfway through at this point, so might as well wrap it up. I've played worse Sonic games ;)

#429 Erad30   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2320 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 03:18 PM

Yeah I figured Bioware making a Sonic rpg would possibly be up there with any of the Mario rpgs, instead I found it a disappointing mess.

#430 RKasa   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4362 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 03:48 PM

As a company which isn't known for either handheld games or all-ages games, Bioware was a really odd choice to make a Sonic RPG in the first place.

I still like the general idea of a Sonic RPG, but if another one is ever made again, it should be done by a more appropriate studio. Which reminds me, Sega Sammy owns Atlus now… hmm...

#431 Erad30   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2320 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:15 PM

Shin Megami Sonic?

#432 The Crotch   There are ten sticks of dynamite waiting for you. CAGiversary!   14940 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 04:32 PM

Hey Crotch, how sweet is the Tale of Two Wastelands mod?

It's easy to remember the differences in writing and world design between New Vegas and Fallout 3, but holy crap did I ever forget how many gameplay and quality of life improvements New Vegas made. It's kind of like how even though I consider Fallout 1 a better game than Fallout 2, I can't actually play it; all the little improvements from the second game make the first just feel so clunky and archaic.

... the difference being, I guess, that I still prefer New Vegas to an updated Fallout 3. But it is nice to have the option of going back to DC with Mercy on my back.

#433 luxuria   Memories of You CAGiversary!   5722 Posts   Joined 9.5 Years Ago  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:23 PM

All the previously announced Persona games have been confirmed for NA! :D

Seems we are getting Persona Q in the fall, as well as Persona Arena, and the rest during 2015. 

#434 Ryuukishi   My ambitionz az a Ryder CAGiversary!   11345 Posts   Joined 12.0 Years Ago  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 05:49 PM

Seems we are getting Persona Q in the fall, as well as Persona Arena, and the rest during 2015. 

Don't have a 3DS (yet), but I'm there on day 1 for everything else. Only slight disappointment (though not a surprise) is no P5 on :360:.

#435 Action!   Game fan game dev CAGiversary!   7400 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Posted 25 February 2014 - 08:22 PM

This fall's gonna be the best.

#436 RKasa   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4362 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 27 February 2014 - 04:48 AM

Just achieved my first maxed-out Social Link (Hierophant) in P4! :whee:

Wonder how many I'll be able to max by the end of the game. IIRC, I had ten in P3; think I can beat that for sure.

#437 panzerfaust  

panzerfaust

Posted 27 February 2014 - 12:49 PM

Why is Wasteland 2 59.99?

#438 GhostShark   The Drunken Whaler CAGiversary!   3143 Posts   Joined 10.3 Years Ago  

GhostShark

Posted 27 February 2014 - 01:56 PM

So, I finished Tales of Vesperia. I really loved it. Finna buy the First Strike Blu-Ray since I can't get enough of these characters. Does the new game plus add anything else to the overall game or is it just a typical NG+?

#439 The Crotch   There are ten sticks of dynamite waiting for you. CAGiversary!   14940 Posts   Joined 13.8 Years Ago  

Posted 27 February 2014 - 06:25 PM

Why is Wasteland 2 59.99?

Beta access to Wasteland 2 is $60 because the lowest reward tier on Kickstarter that gave beta access was $55. Setting beta access any lower than they did would have caused an absolute fucking shitstorm.

The game itself will be cheaper than that.

#440 Krymner   Yup, I think you're sexy CAGiversary!   3030 Posts   Joined 14.9 Years Ago  

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:35 PM

After being disappointed with Lightning Returns, I'm in the mood for a classic JRPG, so I've started up Xenogears. I've always heard how great this game is, but haven't played it until now. Somebody wanna tell me why Xenogears gets so much love? I mean, so far its okay, but I cannot understand why people put this game so high on their list of favorite PS1 JRPGs. The combat system seems very simple, and the story seems average for the era. I'm only to the desert town, so I hope things get better.

I'm also still plugging away in Bravely Default. Just a little into Chapter 3 now.

#441 themaster20000   You sleeping yet? CAGiversary!   2537 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

themaster20000

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:42 PM

The story starts pretty simple,but it really becomes something else later on. I myself enjoy the cast of characters such as Grahf,who IMO is one of the best villains in a game.The on foot battle system is pretty standard stuff,but the gear battles are better. The game also has an excellent Mitsuda soundtrack. The game has aged a lot like every PS1 game and it has some of the worst voice acting on the system,but I still enjoy the game to this day.

#442 panzerfaust  

panzerfaust

Posted 27 February 2014 - 11:48 PM

The key to enjoying Lightning Returns is to completely dismiss the doomsday clock, so, the narrative of the game. Play and level up as you please, explore, and just eat the Game Over when it comes around. You can just carry the stats and items over to the new game, and tackle the main story quests when you feel ready for them.

But I think that just really goes to show how unimpressive the game is. You're paying for a cool battle system and a glorified trophy hunter, basically. 

#443 Indignate   Hell Yeah, I’m the Motherfucking Princess! CAGiversary!   18554 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 28 February 2014 - 12:07 AM

The combo stuff is pretty neat in Xenogears. I always felt that made it more than a typical RPG in terms of combat, but I guess there's really no difference between hitting Light Light Strong to do the Headbutt combo from just choosing the Headbutt command from a menu that a typical RPG would have.

It's the story that I really love about that game, despite the shortcomings in production that occur in the second disk. There are heavy themes in that game that weren't that prevalent at the time in other games.

#444 JEKKI   JEKKI WOO FOO FOO CAGiversary!   7044 Posts   Joined 16.3 Years Ago  

Posted 28 February 2014 - 12:38 AM

I'm 22 hours into Bravely Default.

still on chapter 2 lol.

and my town is finally maxed out

O_o

yeay rite this game takes 30 hrs to beat lol.

#445 Erad30   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   2320 Posts   Joined 10.1 Years Ago  

Posted 28 February 2014 - 12:44 AM

I haven't played more than a couple of hours, trying to finish Persona 4 Golden before I really get into it.

#446 creid   Dead For The Summer CAGiversary!   6779 Posts   Joined 16.6 Years Ago  

Posted 28 February 2014 - 12:45 AM

I'm 22 hours into Bravely Default.

still on chapter 2 lol.

and my town is finally maxed out

O_o

yeay rite this game takes 30 hrs to beat lol.

Yeahhhh I think they lied on that one. You've really gotta be speeding through & skipping stuff to get through in 30.

After being disappointed with Lightning Returns, I'm in the mood for a classic JRPG, so I've started up Xenogears. I've always heard how great this game is, but haven't played it until now. Somebody wanna tell me why Xenogears gets so much love? I mean, so far its okay, but I cannot understand why people put this game so high on their list of favorite PS1 JRPGs. The combat system seems very simple, and the story seems average for the era. I'm only to the desert town, so I hope things get better.

The story gets pretty crazy. If you're into that, stick with it.

#447 Action!   Game fan game dev CAGiversary!   7400 Posts   Joined 10.2 Years Ago  

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:14 AM

I'm at 80+ hours in chapter 6.

Whoops.

#448 panzerfaust  

panzerfaust

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:41 AM

The story gets pretty crazy. If you're into that, stick with it.

It is crazy but none of the drama it draws from is warranted. The original game neatly wrapped up each character's plight, but LR is to make us believe that each party member is not only miserable again, but that they're perhaps the most devastated souls in the world? It's like, alright Vanille, do you really have to repent for that lie you told half a millennium ago? And Snow -- you couldn't find another woman in the past 500 years? The player was hardly introduced to the Snow/Serah chemistry at any point beyond the CGI fireworks proposal cutscene. How am I supposed to not find this ridiculous?

And Sazh is distraught over Dajh again because the kid has once again been put in some magical stasis? These characters have been rendered completely impotent. All of their stories are being rehashed and made 100000x more melodramatic than they should ever be.

#449 RKasa   The Artist Formerly Known as ブルー神羅 CAGiversary!   4362 Posts   Joined 14.0 Years Ago  

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:43 AM

I think creid was talking about Xenogears' story...

#450 panzerfaust  

panzerfaust

Posted 28 February 2014 - 01:48 AM

lmao  :-

my points stand