* * * * - 5 votes

2014 Thrift Store Thread - Post your finds here!

#31 Billytwoshoes   Perpetually behind the times CAGiversary!   1824 Posts   Joined 6.7 Years Ago  

Billytwoshoes

Posted 08 January 2014 - 10:12 PM

I had a fun pick up yesterday, the Qwirkle board game was $4 (complete), the official Sony gold-plated connector component cable was $2, and the CIB Wildfire LED pinball game was $3.  Works perfectly fine, not surprising considering the fact that someone kept all the papers / packing material for over 30 years (and in good shape).

med_gallery_350075_7875_139079.jpg med_gallery_350075_7875_146611.jpg

#32 strawyleader997   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1035 Posts   Joined 6.5 Years Ago  

strawyleader997

Posted 09 January 2014 - 01:21 AM

Picked up Mario Party and Mario Kart (both complete) for the DS for $4 each, and 2 wireless les paul xbox 360 guitars for $3 each.

#33 STEVE05   The Darkest Timeline CAGiversary!   1612 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 02:26 AM

I did find a couple of those old YuGiOh duel disk launchers and they seem to sell for about $50+ on eBay? I thought they were worth something and I picked them up since they were only priced at $1.99. Guess that's a good find. Gotta figure out how it works though.

#34 MasaTFC   Vortex of Failure CAGiversary!   5043 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 02:53 AM

I had a fun pick up yesterday, the Qwirkle board game was $4 (complete), the official Sony gold-plated connector component cable was $2, and the CIB Wildfire LED pinball game was $3.  Works perfectly fine, not surprising considering the fact that someone kept all the papers / packing material for over 30 years (and in good shape).

med_gallery_350075_7875_139079.jpg med_gallery_350075_7875_146611.jpg

dood, I played that qwirkle game with a client and his family. He is a 6 year old gifted student with Autism, and his parents are both well educated. We had a hell of a time figuring it out, the rules seemed "cloudy" but overall its a fun time. good score.

Went to a couple stores today, at the first (dingy grimey thrift shop) there were a bunch of kid geared GBC games for 2 bucks a piece. and a Halo 3 guide...for 5 dollars.

After work on the way home stopped by a GW I have never been to before (its on the other side of town) and they had a gang load of ps1 and ps2 games, all sports titles. Guitar Hero 3 and World Tour guitar sets complete for PS3 (with the wireless things) and a rockband set. None of those were what I would buy, but kind of happy to see so much stuff. I did grab a disc only Call of Duty 2 for 360 and World Championship Soccer for genesis (with the box) for 2 bucks each though.

The other day though, found the holy grail- Fuck for SNES! Perfect for retro game night! it was 5 bucks, and they had Aladdin and The Lion King for SNES at the same price, but passed on those as I have them for genesis. Also bought a pair of Madden Girl heels for 4 bucks that are going to be one half of the first set of items my gf and I are putting on ebay. Never sold on there before, but we decided to kind of start a little "store" hers being clothes purses shoes and such, mine being games and such. wish us luck!

#35 STEVE05   The Darkest Timeline CAGiversary!   1612 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 03:06 AM

Good luck on the eBay store!

I always try to have some stuff up on eBay, it's kinda fun when you're not dealing with douchebag buyers and luckily for me, I've had pretty good luck with that. I basically use it to fund my gaming hobby. I wanted to pick up an Xbox One back in November, so I sold stuff on eBay, made over $500 and I had more than enough for the system and a couple games. It works out.

#36 MasaTFC   Vortex of Failure CAGiversary!   5043 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 05:03 AM

Good luck on the eBay store!

I always try to have some stuff up on eBay, it's kinda fun when you're not dealing with douchebag buyers and luckily for me, I've had pretty good luck with that. I basically use it to fund my gaming hobby. I wanted to pick up an Xbox One back in November, so I sold stuff on eBay, made over $500 and I had more than enough for the system and a couple games. It works out.

Thanks! I am kind of hoping it will add a few bucks in my pocket since working less than part time due to grad school finds me a bit on the broke side (maybe help fund my gaming desires and needs). I thinking that my girlfriend will either put the money away and save it or just go shopping for girl stuff with it. we both like going to thrift stores and I am hoping it might spark that "entrepreneur/small business" idea in here head, not trying to buy a Porsche with any money made, but just having extra spending cash would be nice! 

#37 Billytwoshoes   Perpetually behind the times CAGiversary!   1824 Posts   Joined 6.7 Years Ago  

Billytwoshoes

Posted 09 January 2014 - 09:05 PM

The other day though, found the holy grail- Fuck for SNES! Perfect for retro game night! it was 5 bucks, and they had Aladdin and The Lion King for SNES at the same price, but passed on those as I have them for genesis. Also bought a pair of Madden Girl heels for 4 bucks that are going to be one half of the first set of items my gf and I are putting on ebay. Never sold on there before, but we decided to kind of start a little "store" hers being clothes purses shoes and such, mine being games and such. wish us luck!

It's funny to see Fuck used in the proper sense for once on this site, fun find.  Also, good luck on selling on eBay, I find it enjoyable just to make a little extra spending money as you put it.  I don't go crazy and buy everything I find, being selective on what you pick up to flip keeps it more entertaining for me.  Helps pay for the other half of things I do end up keeping.

#38 wheels  

Posted 09 January 2014 - 11:15 PM

I picked up a ps1 console with a copy of tomb raider in it today for $5.

#39 MasaTFC   Vortex of Failure CAGiversary!   5043 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

Posted 10 January 2014 - 03:07 AM

I had to help my sister with some car shit today out of town, so I hit basically GW between here and there. Some good stuff

Silent Hill Homecoming  Soundtrack $2

Sonic Adventure 2 Battle Gamecube (Players Choice) $2.50

Forza 4 Essentials- $2.50

FEAR - $2.50

Call of Duty 2 360 Disc Only (second copy in 24 hours?)- $2

Genesis Model 1 console- $10

not too bad for just screwing around all day.

#40 trollape74   Lifting and Gaming CAGiversary!   554 Posts   Joined 6.3 Years Ago  

Posted 10 January 2014 - 09:03 PM

I did find a couple of those old YuGiOh duel disk launchers and they seem to sell for about $50+ on eBay? I thought they were worth something and I picked them up since they were only priced at $1.99. Guess that's a good find. Gotta figure out how it works though.

Nice find, another example of expanding your hobby knowledge when thrifting. I found the first 4 starter decks from yugioh awhile ago. Complete and mint, paid 5 bucks for the 4 and a bunch of other super and ultra rares. Got at least 50 for each deck and sold the rest in a lot for 30

#41 DD83   'nives 'n 'nades CAGiversary!   8589 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:21 PM

Had to make a long roadtrip today but stopped at a goodwill I've never been to before and got a copy of Gabriel Knight Mysteries... and now that I'm looking it up, I should've dug through the book section a little more to see if I could find the paperback it could've originally came with.

#42 strawyleader997   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   1035 Posts   Joined 6.5 Years Ago  

strawyleader997

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:30 PM

Stopped at a goodwill today, and they had a bunch of xbox 360 sports games at least 4 years old ... for $10/each.

#43 786110   CAG Veteran CAGiversary!   199 Posts   Joined 12.7 Years Ago  

Posted 10 January 2014 - 11:32 PM

This past week I have bought Donkey Kong Country for the GBA CIB for $6 at Savers and Pokemon X CIB with unredeemed Club Nintendo Points for $20 at goodwill

keeping both

#44 STEVE05   The Darkest Timeline CAGiversary!   1612 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Posted 11 January 2014 - 12:27 AM

Nice find, another example of expanding your hobby knowledge when thrifting. I found the first 4 starter decks from yugioh awhile ago. Complete and mint, paid 5 bucks for the 4 and a bunch of other super and ultra rares. Got at least 50 for each deck and sold the rest in a lot for 30

Wow, didn't know those old decks went for so much. Ha, wish I kept mine intact as a kid. I'm sure I have all the cards somewhere as I never threw anything away or got rid of stuff like that, but I'm sure the condition is far from mint.

It's always a good idea to expand your horizons a bit further than your norm when going thrift store hunting. Granted, I mostly do it for the video games because that's what I enjoy the most, but it helps to find stuff like those YuGiOh disk launchers that can make up for the time/gas I use.

#45 Olengie   Your Waifu is Kuso. Except Mine CAGiversary!   11675 Posts   Joined 6.7 Years Ago  

Posted 11 January 2014 - 02:15 AM

Apparently, the Start Deck Yugi Oh Dark Magician Card is worth some money now, since the artwork for the card has been discontinued.

#46 Fanboygamer   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   200 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

Fanboygamer

Posted 11 January 2014 - 02:29 AM

Today I picked up
$5 ps1 chrono cross
$5 ps1 parasite eve
$5 ps1 fear effect
$1 ps2 metal gear solid collection
$9 ps2 marvel vs capcom 2(GS)

I was really surprised with the condition of the ps1 disc they are very good condition only a little dust and they are %100 complete. Just need to carefully peel away a gamestop sticker lol

#47 MasaTFC   Vortex of Failure CAGiversary!   5043 Posts   Joined 7.0 Years Ago  

Posted 11 January 2014 - 03:08 AM

Had to make a long roadtrip today but stopped at a goodwill I've never been to before and got a copy of Gabriel Knight Mysteries... and now that I'm looking it up, I should've dug through the book section a little more to see if I could find the paperback it could've originally came with.

nice. Pittsburgh area (that's where you are from right)?

today, I went to the GW that I bought the shoes for my gf to sell  and Fuck earlier this week (its in a fancy neighborhood), I found a Xbox 360 Steering Wheel in the box with everything in it (even the 1 year Gold subscription and the Demo disc) for 40 bucks. I picked it up and decided that with my student discount I could get the copy of Aladdin for Snes basically free.

Its not even 2 weeks into the year and I have found some good shit so far. maybe this is the year!

#48 DD83   'nives 'n 'nades CAGiversary!   8589 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 11 January 2014 - 03:44 AM

nice. Pittsburgh area (that's where you are from right)?

Kinda, I live about 30-40 minutes outside of Pittsburgh and occasionally (maybe once a month if I'm not busy/weather permitting) go to the thrifts on the south & west of Pittsburgh (the ones on Saw Mill Run, Ohio River Blvd, up 19) but this one was in Belle Vernon (only went there because I had to pick up something for my Aunt in Mt Pleasant and it was on the way).

Even though I know it'll be a waste of time, I want to check out the Computerworks store.  I just need to have the ambition to drive into Pittsburgh :lol:.

#49 my2k2zx2   Molly, Rockin the Doggles CAGiversary!   1240 Posts   Joined 11.6 Years Ago  

Posted 11 January 2014 - 04:05 PM

Saw a $30 :wiiu:  New SMB Wii U.  Wondering if I should go back for it.

#50 letskissthesky   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   580 Posts   Joined 8.0 Years Ago  

letskissthesky

Posted 11 January 2014 - 04:26 PM

I went the other day. For the first time in a while I found anything worth picking up. A complete copy of Spider-Man for ps1 $1.99 and complete copy of bloody roar primal fury for GameCube $2.99. I was looking forward to both of these. But..... They are one of those thrift stores that have the cases out on the shelf and they have to get the disc out from a cd book behind the glass counter. They couldn't find either game! Just my god damn luck. I can't find anything thrifting around here.

#51 TheGeonaut  

TheGeonaut

Posted 11 January 2014 - 06:58 PM

Found Tony Hawk 2 (complete) and Twisted Metal 2 (no manual) for $2 each

#52 CRAZY93NiS   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   663 Posts   Joined 13.5 Years Ago  

Posted 11 January 2014 - 07:53 PM

found this at a goodwill for 2.99

151AF296-D327-55F3-D9E35200FADF6243.png

sold it later on amazon for $50

at Savers

dark alliance ii xbox - $4.99
D8E0F102-A006-C292-3DC9008AEFF9880F.png

power ranger operation over drive helmet $4.99

D8E0B1F5-ECEE-3662-C53F393F9D191768.png

Power rangers Jungle Fury Helmet $4.99

JFToy18-03.jpg

#53 STEVE05   The Darkest Timeline CAGiversary!   1612 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Posted 11 January 2014 - 08:40 PM

Had a crazy find today, something I've been trying to find for a while too.

Went to three Goodwill's today since I had the day off. Two were busts, nothing special at all. The last one I went to wasn't looking good either. Then I seen they had one of those bins out and decided to give it a look. There were some bags and DVD's on top, moved that out of the way, and seen three flipped upside down N64 cartridges marked at $.99 at the bottom. Got a little excited, flipped two over....Maddens. Dammit! I started to figure that it was either A) someone donated their worthless games or B) it's already been picked over.

Flipped the last one over...

CVUuGUK.jpg

:shock:

I couldn't  Fuck believe it. I just kinda looked at it for a while in disbelief. I've been wanting to get this game ever since I started going video game hunting at thrift stores and garage sales.

Ended up finding a few CIB Gamecube titles for $1.99 afterwards too that I actually picked up. Spyro A Heroes Tail, X-Men Legends and Batman Begins. Don't know if they are worth it or not, but I was so pumped about Conkers I didn't really care. Ended up spending $7.XX out the door for all of it.

#54 juangrande386   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1252 Posts   Joined 10.8 Years Ago  

juangrande386

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:22 PM

Went to 3 GWs today.......which is rare these days. I was just happy that I could finally get my car out of the driveway since all the snow is melting away! Half off media at all 3..........only came home with a $3.50 PS2 controller and a $2 Super Mario Bros Deluxe cartridge. Saw a couple crappy Gamecube and PS1 games......hoping I didnt miss anything good and those were the leftovers!

#55 Olengie   Your Waifu is Kuso. Except Mine CAGiversary!   11675 Posts   Joined 6.7 Years Ago  

Posted 11 January 2014 - 11:24 PM

Wow man, congrats on the awesome find you got there.

#56 gatordeve86   CAG Master CAGiversary!   1005 Posts   Joined 6.6 Years Ago  

gatordeve86

Posted 12 January 2014 - 12:22 AM

Had a crazy find today, something I've been trying to find for a while too.

Went to three Goodwill's today since I had the day off. Two were busts, nothing special at all. The last one I went to wasn't looking good either. Then I seen they had one of those bins out and decided to give it a look. There were some bags and DVD's on top, moved that out of the way, and seen three flipped upside down N64 cartridges marked at $.99 at the bottom. Got a little excited, flipped two over....Maddens. Dammit! I started to figure that it was either A) someone donated their worthless games or B) it's already been picked over.

Flipped the last one over...

CVUuGUK.jpg

:shock:

I couldn't  Fuck believe it. I just kinda looked at it for a while in disbelief. I've been wanting to get this game ever since I started going video game hunting at thrift stores and garage sales.

Ended up finding a few CIB Gamecube titles for $1.99 afterwards too that I actually picked up. Spyro A Heroes Tail, X-Men Legends and Batman Begins. Don't know if they are worth it or not, but I was so pumped about Conkers I didn't really care. Ended up spending $7.XX out the door for all of it.

congrats on the find... i just got one in a lot i bought

#57 Fanboygamer   CAG in Training CAGiversary!   200 Posts   Joined 6.4 Years Ago  

Fanboygamer

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:15 AM

Edit- pics from my pick up yesterday.

3F206DD5-9F5E-441E-9ED1-369E491F7146-166

#58 KumaBear  

Posted 12 January 2014 - 02:56 AM

Nice GW find this week: DS games $3 a piece. I can't get Bowser's Inside Story to work, unfortunately. Also bought a couple Portuguese Yu-gioh cards at the dollar store next door.

goodwill-finds0111.jpg

#59 STEVE05   The Darkest Timeline CAGiversary!   1612 Posts   Joined 11.3 Years Ago  

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:02 AM

Nice GW find this week: DS games $3 a piece. I can't get Bowser's Inside Story to work, unfortunately. Also bought a couple Portuguese Yu-gioh cards at the dollar store next door.

attachicon.gifgoodwill-finds0111.jpg

Nice find! Hopefully you get Bowsers' Inside Story to work, I want to find that game myself.

#60 derrtaysouth95   CAGiversary! CAGiversary!   1473 Posts   Joined 12.1 Years Ago  

derrtaysouth95

Posted 12 January 2014 - 03:21 AM

Went to a GW store today.

They didn't have anything electronics related even for sale.

A few old VHS tapes in poor condition but that was about it.  This store is in a nice area but always has really crappy stuff.

There is another GW that I might try and go to tomorrow.  It's in a less nice area but is really clean and has more stuff.  Never see games though.