2014 Thrift Store Thread - Post your finds here!

Nice find, been looking for Emerald myself. I've been eying a $40 GBA lot with 2 Pokemon games that's been sitting on Craigslist for a while, but I'm holding out for a thrift find.

Thrift 1: NES with a boatload of peripherals, and copy of Arkanoid still inside: $25

Thrift 2: Majora's Mask OST from Club Nintendo (!!) and Metroid Fusion: $1 each. Didn't that CD come out just a little while ago?

The guy who took the NES out of the glass case mentioned seeing some NES cartridges in the sorting area. I'm hoping for some staples. :D

attachicon.gif
nes_thriftfinds.jpg

attachicon.gif
majorasmask_thrift_metroid.jpg
Awesome finds!

I was actually thinking "what if I found that Majora's Mask soundtrack here" when I was looking at the CDs last week. Of course, I didn't find squat, but still...that's funny.

I had an interesting find today. I found a sealed copy of Ultimate Spider Man for the PC at Goodwill for $6.

Big deal right? Or so i thought until about a week ago I was looking up ps2 games on amazon. The ps2 version of this game is worth about 5 bucks...but the PC version is selling for ~$180 USED on amazon...I couldnt believe or understand it...its an even crazier coincidence that I find one just a week later at goodwill; If I hadnt checked the value I would have passed this by.

Anyone know why this is so crazy expensive? I cannot find ANY info on it online. Looking at the prices on ebay they dont seem to be that high....maybe its just a case of idiotic amazon pricing?

Last edited by a moderator:
I didn't notice until I just looked at my fiance's receipt from yesterday. My receipt from Greensburg didn't have anything about points on it...

I'm wondering that as well, because if it's tied to your credit card, there is a massive glitch because it's showing she has a points balance of 111, 455.

But I'm assuming that's probably cumulative points for the store since they started implementing the points system.
Yeah they give you a card and one of those things you stick on the keychain(just like all the supermarkets and such), you just have to give them some info(name, address, number etc.). They've never ever called me or sent me anything in the mail either which is nice, unlike some rewards people who send you non stop junk. Oh and it's definitely not hooked up to my credit card, I would have been pretty hesitant to sign up if I had to do that.

As for where they are on the receipt, points are usually near the bottom, listing how many you have, and how many you need until you reach the goal(whatever it is, $10 credit here).

Anyone know why this is so crazy expensive? I cannot find ANY info on it online. Looking at the prices on ebay they dont seem to be that high....maybe its just a case of idiotic amazon pricing?
I don't know specifics about this item but I do know there's a huge difference between "for sale for" and "sold for." Look at all the offers for most video games and you'll see some ridiculous prices. I think eBay's sold listings are a better gauge of value since that's what someone was actually willing to pay.

I had an interesting find today. I found a sealed copy of Ultimate Spider Man for the PC at Goodwill for $6.

Big deal right? Or so i thought until about a week ago I was looking up ps2 games on amazon. The ps2 version of this game is worth about 5 bucks...but the PC version is selling for ~$180 USED on amazon...I couldnt believe or understand it...its an even crazier coincidence that I find one just a week later at goodwill; If I hadnt checked the value I would have passed this by.

It's not worth much. It took me over a year to sell a used copy for $20 on eBay. That said, a new copy will still easily clear $40 which is well worth the $6 investment. But yeah, you've got a case of idiotic Amazon pricing there.

found Pink Panther Passport to Peril complete for $2.97 and New Super Mario Bros puzzle for .97... picked up a vcr and like a million disney vhs tapes too lol

Good day today. Got the 3 gamecube games from Savers for $5.99 a piece and the TG-16 games were technically from a flea market and did cost $20 a piece but it's amazing to ever find them locally.

bDyf0yo.jpg

Nothing at my Goodwill today... it's on a less-urbanized area of a small town. All I saw was junk EA Sports games for original Xbox. My best finds at this specific location were probably a longbox Ridge Racer disc, Wrestlemania: The Arcade Game (Greatest Hits disc) and Tempest X3 (complete). Depending on the area you live, chances are you won't see quality titles at thrift stores anymore. This has become an era where people hold onto gems.

I bought nothing game related this weekend, but I did pick up

Coach Handbag- $20

5 "Mysteries of the Unknown" Time Life Books - $9

Texas Instruments TI-83 Plus Graph- $9

Playmates Star Trek TNG Enterprise toy- $3

Salvador Dali "Swans Reflecting Elephants" Framed Print (fricking huge)- $10

sooooo, basically some stuff to flip on ebay and some stuff my girlfriend likes. good stuff regardless, I would like to track done the rest of those MOTU books.

I found a Blue GBA SP today for $10 at a GW, turns out the backlight doesn't work. At a small thrift I found 2 packs of N64 plastic game cases, 3 per pack. They have banjo-kazooie on them, $.79 each.

Easiest way to see if it's a back lit or not is checking the serial in the back, it will say AGS 101, all the back lit models say that.

My first SP I didn't know the difference until I went online to research. The frontlit model is underwhelming to the point I thought it was broken.

Good day today. Got the 3 gamecube games from Savers for $5.99 a piece and the TG-16 games were technically from a flea market and did cost $20 a piece but it's amazing to ever find them locally.

bDyf0yo.jpg

Quoting my own post here, but I was just on ebay randomly and wow, since when did Gamecube games skyrocket in price so much.

I'll give the SP a second look, I thought if it had the little button on the front it was the backlit model. Thanks for the info.

Picked up Star Wars Battlefront II for Xbox today at Salvation Army for $2.99.  No manual, but black label case.  Saw a GameCube bundled with 2 first-party controllers and 4 crappy but complete games for $34.99, but passed.

I'll give the SP a second look, I thought if it had the little button on the front it was the backlit model. Thanks for the info.
Both models do. On the 001 it turns the front light on or off and on the 101 it controls the backlights brightness.

Picked up some heroscape stuff the other day. 3 expansion packs and rise of valkire all in box still need to check if are complete. The lady that was about to put it out got called to the office. So tried to get another lady to put it out and she was like I don't know about it.said the other lady might be back in a while and refused to help me.she went to the front of the store to talk to another employee. Do went back to the back and looked in the back found someone back there about to get off was able to get him to put them out for me.this was at GW paid $5.05 was happy once I got in car and checked online prices. Any reason this stuff goes for good $$$

I found a 1998 tiger pokemon pokedex for $1 today at my local goodwill.
Working?

Went to a thrift when I went to visit family, only found two PS1 games. Road Rash 3D and Nascar 2001 for like 2 bucks each. For whatever reason I always feel like taking PS1 games no matter what it is lol.

Went to Goodwill today.  Saw nothing but a Rainbow Six: Vegas (360) priced for $20 and Fight Night (360) for $20.  Ridiculous prices. 

Working?

Went to a thrift when I went to visit family, only found two PS1 games. Road Rash 3D and Nascar 2001 for like 2 bucks each. For whatever reason I always feel like taking PS1 games no matter what it is lol.
Working?

It works, but it doesn't stay closed.

Got some fun things this week, first stop was a couple of days ago:

med_gallery_350075_7875_153141.jpg

Day of the Tentacle was $4 (the best of the lot), Stratego was $2, Disney Skate Adventure was $4 (never knew this existed), and the PS1 games were $3 each (nothing super outstanding, but still good to me).  I'm ashamed to say that I've never played DotT (or even the original Maniac Mansion).

The next day was a bit more interesting:

med_gallery_350075_7875_169874.jpg

Saw the carrying case from behind the counter, marked $15 (typical for this GW), though when I asked to see it, surprised to see what was inside of it.  The GB is missing the screen protector layer, but other than that it works great.  I haven't seen one of those cases since I was a kid, and although not super valuable, I thought it was cool.  Metroid needs a new battery though, kinda bummed about that.

Here's a pic to show how it all fits inside there, I need to cut some new foam out to fill in the missing side.

med_gallery_350075_7875_76501.jpg

I love it when stores keep lots together. My local GW would have sold it all separately. >_<

Wait, did someone squirt glue into that Gameboy case?

Stopped by a GW today after work, killing time before the girlfriend got home. Never thought I would find

gallery_340287_8342_109773.jpg
$20 bucks for all of this (!) The PS1 games were all .99 cents, CIB and are all in A+ condition except Spyro 1, which was an empty case. Asked what they would do with it, girl said thorw it out and I asked if I could have it and she said yup. Star Ocean is def going in my collection. MUA 2 is missing the manual and is kind of scratched up, but it was only 2 bucks. Snakes Revenge is also a keeper, everything else is going to get traded/flipped/sold somewhere. The N64 controllers are actually in good shape, analog sticks on both are pretty tight (green more so than yellow). Very Happy with thrift store finds thus far this year

I think there was foam padding in there and that was the glue that held it.
Yeah that's it, I cut out some foam already for it, looks pretty good and holds everything together nicely now.

Stopped by a GW today after work, killing time before the girlfriend got home. Never thought I would find

$20 bucks for all of this (!) The PS1 games were all .99 cents, CIB and are all in A+ condition except Spyro 1, which was an empty case. Asked what they would do with it, girl said thorw it out and I asked if I could have it and she said yup. Star Ocean is def going in my collection. MUA 2 is missing the manual and is kind of scratched up, but it was only 2 bucks. Snakes Revenge is also a keeper, everything else is going to get traded/flipped/sold somewhere. The N64 controllers are actually in good shape, analog sticks on both are pretty tight (green more so than yellow). Very Happy with thrift store finds thus far this year
Nice finds, I've been meaning to play Ape Escape again someday.

Picked up a copy of Um Jammer Lammy for $2 today.  Was pretty excited about that since I had passed on a copy for $5 several years ago and kicking myself for it.

Finally had an awesome score today. Went to a few places and didn't find anything but a console only OG xbox for $25. No thanks. Went to a thrift store I just discovered and have been meaning to go to. Walked around and found a case for Monster Rancher PS1 for $1! I was so excited, but..... There was no disc in the case. So I picked up a few other empty cases and offered him $.50 cents for a bunch of cases. I got a monster rancher case and manual for next to nothing, so I was happy with that. But before I left I asked if he ever got any old video game stuff in. And he said he had some nintendo in the back. So he took me back there and oh boy was I excited.

There was a box with an NES, a pad for track and field, some controllers, a zap gun and about 13 games. He wanted $50 for all of it. I was all aboard on it. Unfortunately I wanted to test it and I think it needed a new 72 pin connector. So I just bought 5 of the games. I should have just bought everything else but $50 is a lot for me.

So I ended up getting for $9

River city ransom
King of kings
Super mario 3
Excite bike
Super sprint

Also stopped at a pawn shop and picked up mario kart wii, legend of Zelda: a link between worlds and a 1/6 scale Yuna figure from FF X-2 for $10 each. The Yuna figure is a little beat up and she's missing one of her guns. But it had the box in very good condition so it looks nice

I'm going to sell Zelda and super mario 3 since I have them already and it basically will pay for everything else.

Ended up going back out today to a local store and they had a fair amount of Dreamcast games, which I never see out here.  Along with a bunch of sports titles, they had the following, which I picked up:

Sega Bass Fishing (disc only)

Rippin' Riders

Suzuki Alstare Extreme Racing

ECW Hardcore Revolution

Paid $8 after tax for them.

Also saw a case for Speed Devils, but no disc.

Mildly interesting haul this week. The Pokemon Yahtzee is complete and the Harry Potter display is huge.  $10 for everything.

[attachment=2524:valuevillage_finds_small.jpg][attachment=2523:hpdisplay_fb_small.jpg]

How's this for a deal? I walked into a pawn shop about a week ago and found a couple of Wii Us (both 32GB systems) behind the glass. The original price for the systems was $210... that didn't work for me, so I asked them for the absolute least amount of money they'd take. They told me I could have one for $150, and even threw in a few extra controllers to sweeten the deal. No way I could resist that!

I realize the machine is not very popular and probably won't be supported by Nintendo for more than a couple of years. Hell, there are already rumors of a new Nintendo system in development now. However, I wanted a cheap way into the next generation and I got it. Besides, the Wii U's got some pretty cool features that I doubt we'll ever see on the Xbox One or PS4. It's got some great social features, like being able to leave notes and even simple drawings for other players. (Except those drawings can be shockingly detailed considering the drawing tool's limitations... I swear, some of these artists are cyborgs!) Also, I appreciate that the system's got Mass Effect 3, the sequel to one of my all-time favorites from the previous generation. It probably isn't quite as good as the Xbox 360 version, but it's still pretty awesome, being Mass Effect and all.

Oh yeah, I also picked up loose copies of Sonic 2 and, uh, fuck while I was at the pawn shop. Each cost me about a buck. Normally I wouldn't buy such common Genesis games without the boxes, but Genesis games have gotten really hard to find lately. I bought fuck because I have a sick sense of humor. (The recent dialog hack of the Super NES game called "Schmuck Fu" was my doing.)

Today I passed on a King of Fighters 95 (for the Sega Saturn) that was only $4, but I didn't know how much it was worth and didn't want to deal with an imported game for a system I don't own.

How's this for a deal? I walked into a pawn shop about a week ago and found a couple of Wii Us (both 32GB systems) behind the glass. The original price for the systems was $210... that didn't work for me, so I asked them for the absolute least amount of money they'd take. They told me I could have one for $150, and even threw in a few extra controllers to sweeten the deal. No way I could resist that!

I realize the machine is not very popular and probably won't be supported by Nintendo for more than a couple of years. Hell, there are already rumors of a new Nintendo system in development now. However, I wanted a cheap way into the next generation and I got it. Besides, the Wii U's got some pretty cool features that I doubt we'll ever see on the Xbox One or PS4. It's got some great social features, like being able to leave notes and even simple drawings for other players. (Except those drawings can be shockingly detailed considering the drawing tool's limitations... I swear, some of these artists are cyborgs!) Also, I appreciate that the system's got Mass Effect 3, the sequel to one of my all-time favorites from the previous generation. It probably isn't quite as good as the Xbox 360 version, but it's still pretty awesome, being Mass Effect and all.

Oh yeah, I also picked up loose copies of Sonic 2 and, uh, fuck while I was at the pawn shop. Each cost me about a buck. Normally I wouldn't buy such common Genesis games without the boxes, but Genesis games have gotten really hard to find lately. I bought fuck because I have a sick sense of humor. (The recent dialog hack of the Super NES game called "Schmuck Fu" was my doing.)
Nintendo's new Console is rumoured to be called Nintendo Fusion. But you can take with a bucket of salt. I really wish Nintendo kept up with the Graphics. Just imagine if Nintendo's Consoles were on par with Sony and Microsoft on the Graphics Level. Hot damn, that will be good. Oh well. :lol:

Anyway, nice pick ups. :lol:

Picked up :

PGA European Tour for the Sega Genesis(don't know why) - Mint - $3

Spyro A Hero's Tale PS2 - Mint Booklet - kinda scratched disc/ok box - $3

Tommy Bahama Sea Breeze Women's Jeans - $4

Today I passed on a King of Fighters 95 (for the Sega Saturn) that was only $4, but I didn't know how much it was worth and didn't want to deal with an imported game for a system I don't own.
man, I would have picked it up just because of how interesting it is to find a game like that.

you must have awesome thrift stores up there

Stopped in at the Salvation Army last week. No games, but I did snag this for $4.75.

2ypn714.jpg

Cornelius Thoroughgood framed pic by Ryan Berkley (he has an awesome line of animals portraits). Apparently, they were from Urban Outfitters and were $32 new. I also found a pair of Union Bay jeans that look brand new. They fell under the 50% off sale so they ran $1.25.

bread's done
Back