Tales of Phantasia (English Version) Free on iOS (classic RPG, Namco Bandai)

Avoid at all costs.  Find the GBA game or play it emulated on a PC.  This release is garbage.  It plays poorly and necessary items like health gels are far and few between in an attempt to push you toward IAP.  It's a disgrace to a fantastic Tales game. 

Well, I guess it's worth a dl if not to just show people, "Look, I have Tales of Phantasia on my phone.", but never open the app due to the embarrassment of a badly remade game app.  When they ask me how it is, I'll give the ol' "Ehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh..."

Avoid at all costs. Find the GBA game or play it emulated on a PC. This release is garbage. It plays poorly and necessary items like health gels are far and few between in an attempt to push you toward IAP. It's a disgrace to a fantastic Tales game.
I've been playing it a little, and so far it seems pretty similar to the PSP remake that was only released in JP. I'll have to keep playing it to see how similar it is, but as I recall they made some of these types of tweeks for the PSP version remakes as well, so it could just be a port to the iOS.

Last edited by a moderator:
This has gone from shitty IAP but still worth checking out for freemium to I'm not touching this.
It might still be worth it if you've never played the PSP remake version, and wanted to see what that was like, but other than that it's kind of shitty the way they did the save system, and also the clunky battle controls (which were sort of expected). It's not bad for a free game, but had it even been a $0.99 game, I would not have made the purchase. It seems to be built for people who only plan to play it on an iPad at home or something, but not for anybody who plans to play it during a commute, like I had planned to do so, but can't with the shitty system they have implemented. :*(

From what I read of this on RPGfan, beware of this one.  Its "free to play" for the entire game but they monetize it by asking you to pay to continue when you get a game over, or risk going back to the last manual save point you made- it doesn't sound bad, but apparently they programed out half of the savepoints you used to get on console, so if you die and don't pay you are losing huge amount of progress.  Also, they said the controls royally suck which kind of adds difficulty, and therefore more deaths. 

Of course they are also selling experience boosts to overpower your characters, which they said is often necessary since you can't really control the game well at all. 

Overall, they said due to the nickel and diming, and the poor control, and really couldn't recommend it, even being a free download.

I've been playing it a little, and so far it seems pretty similar to the PSP remake that was only released in JP. I'll have to keep playing it to see how similar it is, but as I recall they made some of these types of tweeks for the PSP version remakes as well, so it could just be a port to the iOS.
Wish the PSP remake was released in North America in English. I still have the GBA version in my backlog, but I feel more inclined to play the more definitive version.

This is exactly why I hope nintendo doesn't have to succumb to releasing their titles on ios with inapp purchases.  Imagine needing to buy a mushroom for $1 to get past super mario.

This is exactly why I hope nintendo doesn't have to succumb to releasing their titles on ios with inapp purchases. Imagine needing to buy a mushroom for $1 to get past super mario.
But imagine how much money Nintendo would make for selling 'shrooms.

I gave it enough of a chance to run into problems with the auto save as well.  It would quick save mid-battle.  Sometimes it would quick save right after you lost a character and were on your way to a defeat.  I shut down the app right after this happened once and loaded to the treat of having my ass handed to me.  Nice.  

bardockkun said:
I Still got this on GBA unopened. Man, my backlog is so old.
Hah - same here. But I've been playing so much Tales recently that I don't see the need to get into this even if it was a good port and didn't have IAPs. I finished Graces recently and am playing Xillia now. I plan to play Symphonia when the PS3 remaster comes out and I also have Xillia 2 preordered..

Last edited by a moderator:
Hah - same here. But I've been playing so much Tales recently that I don't see the need to get into this even if it was a good port and didn't have IAPs. I finished Geaces recently and am playing Xillia now. I plan to plan Symphonia when the PS3 remaster comes out and I also have Xillia 2 preordered..
I Only played Symphonia on Gamecube, wasn't much of a fan of it. Didn't stop me from owning that, Vesperia, Phantasia, Abyss and Legendia. Yup, this fucking website...

bardockkun said:
I Only played Symphonia on Gamecube, wasn't much of a fan of it. Didn't stop me from owning that, Vesperia, Phantasia, Abyss and Legendia. Yup, this fucking website...
Yeah, I also own Abyss for both PS2 and 3DS, Legendia, and Vesperia (now in 3 forms: LE, regular, and digital from the current $4.xx sale).

I played Symphonia through to about 95% completion. It was one of the first deals I got via CAG (Target BF pricing). Legendia I actually beat and until a few months ago (when I beat Graces) was the only one I had completed. I played Abyss on the 3DS to about 95% completion also. I'm not sure what keeps me from finishing games like that but there you go. I do intend to complete Xillia (and even play through a second time to get the platinum).

Yeah, I also own Abyss for both PS2 and 3DS, Legendia, and Vesperia (now in 3 forms: LE, regular, and digital from the current $4.xx sale).

I played Symphonia through to about 95% completion. It was one of the first deals I got via CAG (Target BF pricing). Legendia I actually beat and until a few months ago (when I beat Graces) was the only one I had completed. I played Abyss on the 3DS to about 95% completion also. I'm not sure what keeps me from finishing games like that but there you go. I do intend to complete Xillia (and even play through a second time to get the platinum).
Time for an intervention.

bread's done
Back